Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
let's say that those people who claim that ubiquitous wifi kills you are right.

how deadly (maybe # of horrible cases of super cancer / 100,000) would wifi have to be before we stopped using it?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

have you not read the thread? we are looking to abolish it at zero

it might in fact have a better shot if it at least causes some supercancer among the deserving (and lets be honest; picking people who are bathed in wifi signals is a pretty good selection of deserving)

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

say no more, farm

farnsung

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

oh no, my company uses ubiquity, should i be worried?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
lol at the whole concept of WiFi/cellular signals causing cancer

yep the radio waves that you, your parents and your grandparents have been subjected to since birth are now gonna kill you when they’re generated from a cell phone or WiFi device

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I wonder if people still sell those stickers for cell phones that are supposed to prevent the cancer waves

lol of course they do

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

huh, i thought they got sued into oblivion for false claims

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

maybe one company did, but i'm sure china can print stickers that do nothing by the truckload

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The other week I was at my dad's house setting up his new wifi enabled printer for him and when I tried printing a test page it took like 5 minutes to print and I realized the signal strength was so bad that it was transmitting at like 0.1 Mb/s or some poo poo and discovered the router was on a different floor on the far side of the house and was also a 12 year old WRT54G and he also lives in a neighborhood with 8 million visible SSIDs. My suggestion was for him to get a long USB cable to connect the printer to his laptop on the other side of the room

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My Linux Rig posted:

lol at the whole concept of WiFi/cellular signals causing cancer

yep the radio waves that you, your parents and your grandparents have been subjected to since birth are now gonna kill you when they’re generated from a cell phone or WiFi device

tbf the ubiquity of cell phones and wifi radios and the like is one of the biggest uncontrolled experiments in human history

like it's better than 99% sure that there's no problem, but we've gone ahead and raised a generation to carry portable microwave transmitters with them at all times and bathed our environments in the same energy and we've got no control sample

i'm reminded of the era just after nuclear testing in the 1950s -- the AEC used to trace fallout patterns by measuring the propagation of strontium-90, since it was known to be a fission product

but after a decade or so they found that it was impossible to find a sample of earth that didn't have 90Sr in it, so they shrugged and quit testing, because it had become ubiquitous, the new background level

woops

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

have you considering being a good child and getting your dad a router that's not ancient?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Endless Mike posted:

have you considering being a good child and getting your dad a router that's not ancient?
I got him a new router for christmas, bitch.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

tbf the ubiquity of cell phones and wifi radios and the like is one of the biggest uncontrolled experiments in human history

like it's better than 99% sure that there's no problem, but we've gone ahead and raised a generation to carry portable microwave transmitters with them at all times and bathed our environments in the same energy and we've got no control sample

i'm reminded of the era just after nuclear testing in the 1950s -- the AEC used to trace fallout patterns by measuring the propagation of strontium-90, since it was known to be a fission product

but after a decade or so they found that it was impossible to find a sample of earth that didn't have 90Sr in it, so they shrugged and quit testing, because it had become ubiquitous, the new background level

woops

yeah but counterpoint there are like 7.4B people now so it didn’t really hurt much.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stereotype posted:

yeah but counterpoint there are like 7.4B people now so it didn’t really hurt much.

yet

a good point of comparison would be the ubiquity of electric lighting. is it bad for you? not on any sort of serious scale, no. does it alter your biochemistry and your behavior in a way that is difficult or impossible to avoid? absolutely and fundamentally

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Sagebrush posted:

woops
Apparently for certain extremely sensitive radiation detectors they have to scavenge steel that was originally produced prior to WW2 because all steel smelted since then has trace amounts of radioactive material in it from above-ground nuclear testing :waycool: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

not just "scavenge" but "raise sunken battleships so that they can carve up their hulls"

:hellyeah:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
dark matter detectors have to refine copper and steel on site in the detector mine vaults so that it doesn’t get activated by cosmic rays or have trace radioactive isotopes within it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i bet in deep dark central south america they dont have so much wifi

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

run wires everywhere
raise the height of your AP as high as you can (break out the screw driver and put it on the ceiling dummy)
throw away all old wireless clients
look at smallnetbuilder for articles about what matters for speed.

duh

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

pagancow posted:

run wires everywhere
raise the height of your AP as high as you can (break out the screw driver and put it on the ceiling dummy)
throw away all old wireless clients
look at smallnetbuilder for articles about what matters for speed.

duh

what happens if I live in a loft with high ceilings and ladders are scary. im already down to 1 working lightbulb.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

you can just choose to not internet then

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

get better waps op

uap-ac-pro is the way and the light

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 4, 2018

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

loving smooth

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
i too love to be like a grandma by measuring an entire protocol by its shittiest product

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I grabbed 7 recycled pakedge wk-1 ac aps from work for $0.75/lb and was gonna improve my dad's wifi but his iPad 1 can't connect to them lol

I'm assuming it's some WPA issue since it thinks it's got the wrong password

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 4, 2018

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

hifi posted:

my wifi works great. latvia strong

the Wikipedia article on Mikrotik was recently deleted as "non-notable"

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

cat6 in the laundry

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cat5 in the bedroom :smugmrgw:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:smugmrgw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cbC_psSE7A

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

atomicthumbs posted:

the Wikipedia article on Mikrotik was recently deleted as "non-notable"

Normis will be crushed :(

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i love that wifi network analysis apps show a bunch of 5GHz APs on overlapping 80MHz channels in my apartment complex

i assume this is because consumer AP manufacturers default to MAX BANDWIDTHS IN CASE GIGABIT THROUGHPUT mode despite realistically being deployed in locations where 40MHz bandwidth will suffice for the device count/actual downstream capabilities of the network link

case in point the multiple 80MHz xfinitywifi stations that i assume are providing excellent service to absolutely loving nothing connected to them. thanks comcast. thomcast.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

case in point the multiple 80MHz xfinitywifi stations that i assume are providing excellent service to absolutely loving nothing connected to them. thanks comcast. thomcast.

comcast is trying to offer wifi-based cellphone service by forcing all of its internet service subscribers to provide the wifi part for free

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

pull all your devices off wireless and attach wires to them

ALL DEVICES

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA39V62R9693

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i helped my friend set up the wifi in his new apartment and the drat router turned on four separate networks when i powered it up (5ghz, 2.4ghz, 5ghz_guest, 2.4ghz_guest)

gee i wonder if this kind of poo poo is why the spectrum graph around here looks like michael j. fox trying to ketchup a burger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

• Locked thread