Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

pagancow posted:

pull all your devices off wireless and attach wires to them

ALL DEVICES

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA39V62R9693

My lab actually fought really hard to stop the installation of Wifi routers around the physics building because we could see it leaking into our instruments.

The university laughed and pointed at all the 20 year olds on their cell phones who pay $25k/yr and put them up anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Why wifi not fi?

I moved my AP from below to above a table and now I can get reception even when I'm on the toilet :D

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
wireless fidelity

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

wired fiddly

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

wireless fidelity

yeah

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

akadajet posted:

found ur problem. get to best buy and buy an asus spider router.

I looked this up and it looks like a terrifying demonic sacrificial pit when the antennas are oriented correctly

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

worthy figgies

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hed posted:

oh yes I don’t k ow my ssh password either because I am a fuckin idiot

** UPDATE**

I am still a fuckin idiot but I was looking in 1password for some dumb old website and found "UniFi AP" so ssh works now. Upgrading WAP firmware from 3.2.5 to 3.9.15 and I have a million loops of "Waiting firmware upgrade .." :pray:

boring edit 2:

:golgo:
code:
BusyBox v1.11.2 (2017-12-08 17:01:42 MST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

___ ___      .__________.__
 |   |   |____ |__\_  ____/__|
 |   |   /    \|  ||  __) |  |   (c) 2010-2017
 |   |  |   |  \  ||  \   |  |   Ubiquiti Networks, Inc.
 |______|___|  /__||__/   |__|
            |_/                  [url]http://www.ubnt.com[/url]

Welcome to UniFi UAP!

BZ.v3.9.15# cat /etc/version
BZ.v3.9.15
my wifi will now be less terrible

Hed fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 6, 2018

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Take my wifi.... please!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when i move into my new place the wireless fidelity will be off the mother fuckin hook

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:qq: the fidelity of my wireless :qq:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

pls drown the neighbors with excessive signal strength. if you can walk across the street and still connect then ur good to go

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

im thinking of getting a repeater going with an old router just to drown the other half of my property so nobody gets any ideas

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

echinopsis posted:

:qq: the fidelity of marriage :qq:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol

but for real ya know these things happen for a reason. mostly coz im a piece of poo poo but whatever

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lomarf

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

lol

but for real ya know these things happen for a reason. mostly coz im a piece of poo poo but whatever

stfu

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol what would you rather me say

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
echi has an uncanny ability to turn every thread into a discussion of his failed marriage

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

RISCy Business posted:

idiots who should stay in e/n have an uncanny ability to turn every thread into a discussion of echis failed marriage

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

to be fair, he probably read "why is wife so terrible?"

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

typically the answer is unstable firmware :shrug:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Endless Mike posted:

*yosposter thinking harder than anything else in their life* maybe marriage is like... an unsecured router

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

*yosposter thinking harder than anything else in their life* maybe marriage is like... an unsecured router

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

akadajet posted:

found ur problem. get to best buy and buy an asus spider router.

alternate caption: rejected Cybran combat walker from Supreme Commander

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

a good marriage is like emacs. its a foundation to build the rest of your life upon. you get as much as you put into it.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
actually marriage is like a parrot

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RISCy Business posted:

echi has an uncanny ability to turn every thread into a discussion of his failed marriage

i know i sound like a fuckin preschooler but power botton did it. dont bring it up and i wont carry on the convo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i bought a bunch of mikrotik rb133's for $4 each

ama

also i dumped my lovely $11/mo cable modem rental and bought a little linksys for 20 bucks, swapped to that this weekend

we are now 100% xfinitywifi-free

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

ama

also i dumped my lovely $11/mo cable modem rental and bought a little linksys for 20 bucks, swapped to that this weekend

heck yeah its all various modified tplink stuff in my place and it feels good not to have to repeatedly swap refurbed company modems out every two months

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

ama

same but a fios ONT, usg-pro-4, us-48-500w, and 5x uap-ac-pro

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

ama

go the rest of the way and get yourself an rb750gr3 and ditch that belkin made trash

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the rb133's are actually just to use as network to serial adapters. routeros lets you pump the onboard serial port to a TCP port so im gonna do that

found out my rb333 cant handle more than 40mbps or so, its time to upgrade that
but yeah shoppin for newboxes

I also have my old Nanostation loco m2 that's currently being used as a test bed to hook up to the Denver ham mesh. i may need to get a bullet m2 hp and a yagi for good link, but I can see one of the nodes 4 miles away with just the lovely loco

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

echinopsis posted:

that AP looks good. its close to three hundred doolars here in nz. the lite version is a hundy cheaper and 867/300Mbps 1300/450Mbps those are th respecive sepedsd

wifi bandwidth numbers are bullshit marketing math. the "867" etc numbers are literally the highest wireless band profile per radio * the number of mimo streams supported. uap-ac-lite is 2x2 mimo & uap-ac-pro is 3x3 mimo. real-world throughput of the uap-ac-pro is really more like 300-450mbps because its "air-time" sharing algorithm is geared toward high density multi-user deployments.

Raluek posted:

the lite has less antenna gain, so the range is diminished. still a good wap tho

theres also the HD model now too that does mimo, but its so new i dont really know anything about it. though it probably doesnt suck

p much all aps do mimo now but the uap-ac-hd does 4x4 mu-mimo and agreed it does not suck. lol at the complete lack of client devices that can support 4x4 mu-mimo tho. even the not-really-available qualcomm minipci card for 4x4 mu-mimo is comically large out of spec

Linguica posted:

I got him a new router for christmas, bitch.

you are doing gods work. rip rms - ate too many feet.

pagancow posted:

run wires everywhere
raise the height of your AP as high as you can (break out the screw driver and put it on the ceiling dummy)
throw away all old wireless clients
look at smallnetbuilder for articles about what matters for speed.

hail satan

duh

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Hed posted:

Upgrading WAP firmware from 3.2.5 to 3.9.15 and I have a million loops of "Waiting firmware upgrade .." :pray:

code:
      Welcome to UniFi UAP!

BZ.v3.9.15# cat /etc/version
BZ.v3.9.15
my wifi will now be less terrible

jesus christ why would you do this to yourself just use the damned unifi controller software or get a cloud key or install the mini server on a r-pi or use the stupid mobile app / browser extension

do you also tap out 33.6k modem file transfers by rubbing wires together?

Jonny 290 posted:

found out my rb333 cant handle more than 40mbps or so, its time to upgrade that
but yeah shoppin for newboxes

hit me up i can probably help

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyLittle posted:

wifi bandwidth numbers are bullshit marketing math. the "867" etc numbers are literally the highest wireless band profile per radio * the number of mimo streams supported. uap-ac-lite is 2x2 mimo & uap-ac-pro is 3x3 mimo. real-world throughput of the uap-ac-pro is really more like 300-450mbps because its "air-time" sharing algorithm is geared toward high density multi-user deployments.

idk what 2x2 vs 3x3 mimo

this thing will be for me and my kids and trhe occasional guest. worth the extra money for 3x3 minos

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

echinopsis posted:

idk what 2x2 vs 3x3 mimo

counting possible simultaneous radio streams the hardware supports; #upload x #download

most phones are 2x2 mimo at best, many high end 802.11ac laptops are 3x3 though most cheap laptops are only 2x2

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
considering this setup:

Arris NVG589 (DSL modem since AT&T uses 802.1x for U-verse) -> edgerouter lite (router/dhcp) Cisco catalyst 2960-x 48-port PoE switch -> x number of Pakedge ac aps

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyLittle posted:

counting possible simultaneous radio streams the hardware supports; #upload x #download

most phones are 2x2 mimo at best, many high end 802.11ac laptops are 3x3 though most cheap laptops are only 2x2

but it must be abe to "connect" to many more though right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

idk what you guys are talking about but i regularly get 700+ mbps from my uap-ac-pro (only if im in the same room tho)

• Locked thread