Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Wifi is horrible and I always get terrible speeds with it. I have a Netgear WNDR4500 and a brand new Macbook Pro and I get speeds of like 1MB/s max and constant dropped packets and it is lovely. When I connect with ethernet everything is super fast though, 20MB/s easy. 2.4GHz, 5GHz, close, far, it is always bad. I also live in the jungle so I see zero other APs besides mine.

Why is wifi so horrible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that said even with your broadcom chip you may have better luck with a nicer AP

i personally am very fond of ubnt, because they are significantly cheaper than "real" enterprise equipment but almost good.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/

thank you for the real help! I figured it was something stupid apple was doing.

to all you jokers joking around: good job very funny.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Stereotype posted:

thank you for the real help! I figured it was something stupid apple was doing. I’ll look into a new router. this one was like $30 on clearance at Office Depot before they moved to make way for a mega Whole Foods.

to all you jokers joking around: good job very funny.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
that was supposed to be an edit but I’m not going to fix it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

HoboMan posted:

AS AN OCCUPANT OF HIGH DENSITY HOUSING IN A HIP NEIGHBORHOOD I FIND THE WIFI BANDS INCREDIBLY CROWDED

whoops i had caps-lock on, not retyping that

imo caps lock should invert the capitalization if you press it with text highlighted.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I just ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015PRO512/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qiusAbRMQHKS5

hopefully 2018 is a year of good WiFi

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

akadajet posted:

replace your fire alarms with wifi stations

I have like 5 fire alarms and only one WiFi router though.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

tbf the ubiquity of cell phones and wifi radios and the like is one of the biggest uncontrolled experiments in human history

like it's better than 99% sure that there's no problem, but we've gone ahead and raised a generation to carry portable microwave transmitters with them at all times and bathed our environments in the same energy and we've got no control sample

i'm reminded of the era just after nuclear testing in the 1950s -- the AEC used to trace fallout patterns by measuring the propagation of strontium-90, since it was known to be a fission product

but after a decade or so they found that it was impossible to find a sample of earth that didn't have 90Sr in it, so they shrugged and quit testing, because it had become ubiquitous, the new background level

woops

yeah but counterpoint there are like 7.4B people now so it didn’t really hurt much.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
dark matter detectors have to refine copper and steel on site in the detector mine vaults so that it doesn’t get activated by cosmic rays or have trace radioactive isotopes within it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

pagancow posted:

pull all your devices off wireless and attach wires to them

ALL DEVICES

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA39V62R9693

My lab actually fought really hard to stop the installation of Wifi routers around the physics building because we could see it leaking into our instruments.

The university laughed and pointed at all the 20 year olds on their cell phones who pay $25k/yr and put them up anyway.

• Locked thread