Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I thought my internet connection was super horrible bc my wifi was so slow but then I finally bought a new router and was like oh, huh, how about that

Turns out that even if your old router was originally sold as being capable of 300Mbps or whatever, it might not actually be able to sustain that for any length of time when multiple devices are connected bc the chipset is from 2007 and the software stack is garbage and it overheats and throttles back

I got a tp-link Archer c8 for under a hundo I think and it sustains at least 150Mbps to any number of devices it's connected to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My Linux Rig posted:

lol at the whole concept of WiFi/cellular signals causing cancer

yep the radio waves that you, your parents and your grandparents have been subjected to since birth are now gonna kill you when they’re generated from a cell phone or WiFi device

tbf the ubiquity of cell phones and wifi radios and the like is one of the biggest uncontrolled experiments in human history

like it's better than 99% sure that there's no problem, but we've gone ahead and raised a generation to carry portable microwave transmitters with them at all times and bathed our environments in the same energy and we've got no control sample

i'm reminded of the era just after nuclear testing in the 1950s -- the AEC used to trace fallout patterns by measuring the propagation of strontium-90, since it was known to be a fission product

but after a decade or so they found that it was impossible to find a sample of earth that didn't have 90Sr in it, so they shrugged and quit testing, because it had become ubiquitous, the new background level

woops

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stereotype posted:

yeah but counterpoint there are like 7.4B people now so it didn’t really hurt much.

yet

a good point of comparison would be the ubiquity of electric lighting. is it bad for you? not on any sort of serious scale, no. does it alter your biochemistry and your behavior in a way that is difficult or impossible to avoid? absolutely and fundamentally

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

not just "scavenge" but "raise sunken battleships so that they can carve up their hulls"

:hellyeah:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i helped my friend set up the wifi in his new apartment and the drat router turned on four separate networks when i powered it up (5ghz, 2.4ghz, 5ghz_guest, 2.4ghz_guest)

gee i wonder if this kind of poo poo is why the spectrum graph around here looks like michael j. fox trying to ketchup a burger

• Locked thread