Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stereotype posted:

Wifi is horrible and I always get terrible speeds with it. I have a Netgear WNDR4500 and a brand new Macbook Pro and I get speeds of like 1MB/s max and constant dropped packets and it is lovely. When I connect with ethernet everything is super fast though, 20MB/s easy. 2.4GHz, 5GHz, close, far, it is always bad. I also live in the jungle so I see zero other APs besides mine.

Why is wifi so horrible?

the real reason is that you are using a macbook pro.

in order to economize on board space, apple is the only company fool enough to buy broadcom chips. and they're loving horrible. literally the worst in the industry.

there are no-name chinese clones that perform better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
that said even with your broadcom chip you may have better luck with a nicer AP

i personally am very fond of ubnt, because they are significantly cheaper than "real" enterprise equipment but almost good.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
when your home router says it can do "300 mbps" they mean it can do 300 mbps with no routing or nat, with 9000 byte packets, on a new moon, on alternate tuesdays

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

TheFluff posted:

5ghz is really cool in the living room and all, especially since I have it almost to myself here, but when I’m on the toilet my phone tends to lose contact with the access point two rooms away. All wifi is trash. It’s radio for small plastic toys.

5 ghz is deliberately sold not to penetrate two rooms away

that's the point of the product: put lots of individual low-powerd radios in enclosed spaces, with wired connections back to a central hub that provides connectivity and management of contention between the individual APs

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

case in point the multiple 80MHz xfinitywifi stations that i assume are providing excellent service to absolutely loving nothing connected to them. thanks comcast. thomcast.

comcast is trying to offer wifi-based cellphone service by forcing all of its internet service subscribers to provide the wifi part for free

• Locked thread