Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

echinopsis posted:

that AP looks good. its close to three hundred doolars here in nz. the lite version is a hundy cheaper and 867/300Mbps 1300/450Mbps those are th respecive sepedsd

wifi bandwidth numbers are bullshit marketing math. the "867" etc numbers are literally the highest wireless band profile per radio * the number of mimo streams supported. uap-ac-lite is 2x2 mimo & uap-ac-pro is 3x3 mimo. real-world throughput of the uap-ac-pro is really more like 300-450mbps because its "air-time" sharing algorithm is geared toward high density multi-user deployments.

Raluek posted:

the lite has less antenna gain, so the range is diminished. still a good wap tho

theres also the HD model now too that does mimo, but its so new i dont really know anything about it. though it probably doesnt suck

p much all aps do mimo now but the uap-ac-hd does 4x4 mu-mimo and agreed it does not suck. lol at the complete lack of client devices that can support 4x4 mu-mimo tho. even the not-really-available qualcomm minipci card for 4x4 mu-mimo is comically large out of spec

Linguica posted:

I got him a new router for christmas, bitch.

you are doing gods work. rip rms - ate too many feet.

pagancow posted:

run wires everywhere
raise the height of your AP as high as you can (break out the screw driver and put it on the ceiling dummy)
throw away all old wireless clients
look at smallnetbuilder for articles about what matters for speed.

hail satan

duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Hed posted:

Upgrading WAP firmware from 3.2.5 to 3.9.15 and I have a million loops of "Waiting firmware upgrade .." :pray:

code:
      Welcome to UniFi UAP!

BZ.v3.9.15# cat /etc/version
BZ.v3.9.15
my wifi will now be less terrible

jesus christ why would you do this to yourself just use the damned unifi controller software or get a cloud key or install the mini server on a r-pi or use the stupid mobile app / browser extension

do you also tap out 33.6k modem file transfers by rubbing wires together?

Jonny 290 posted:

found out my rb333 cant handle more than 40mbps or so, its time to upgrade that
but yeah shoppin for newboxes

hit me up i can probably help

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

echinopsis posted:

idk what 2x2 vs 3x3 mimo

counting possible simultaneous radio streams the hardware supports; #upload x #download

most phones are 2x2 mimo at best, many high end 802.11ac laptops are 3x3 though most cheap laptops are only 2x2

• Locked thread