Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the real shocker is that while wifi is a day-to-day headache i get low latency, stable, high bandwidth 4g both in town and in the middle of the woods

have to imagine it is an illustration of the merits of management vs. anarchy on a frequency spectrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

TheFluff posted:

if you want working wifi you need to pay like a grand for the base stations and then hope to the heavens you have a slightly-less-than-garbage transceiver in your computer, because literally everything consumer grade I've ever had the misfortune of using is completely broken

I mean, this is not that weird, wifi is a godawful pile of hacks trying to solve the lack of bandwidth, horribly congested frequency spectrum and comically underpowered transmitters by throwing a ton of really complex digital signals processing (like software beam forming and poo poo) at the problem, so of course the underpaid Indian firmware developers never get it quite right. There are just so many weird rear end wifi problems you can and will get.

possibly the second weird thing about wifi is why it didn't end up going down the usb (or arm or whatever) route where one good manufacturer has it figured out and everyone else just copies that with potentially tiny tweaks. there seems to be a lot of duplicated effort for very little gain

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

have you not read the thread? we are looking to abolish it at zero

it might in fact have a better shot if it at least causes some supercancer among the deserving (and lets be honest; picking people who are bathed in wifi signals is a pretty good selection of deserving)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

RISCy Business posted:

idiots who should stay in e/n have an uncanny ability to turn every thread into a discussion of echis failed marriage

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The_Franz posted:

i think the big things are that the handshake was changed so you can't run dictionary attacks against captures anymore and even on open networks clients will have individual encryption keys so you can't just hop on some cafe's unsecured network and sniff all the traffic

about loving time

• Locked thread