Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Didn't Volfred not want to be sent up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
He would never put himself before the rest of the party.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
T'izo. First in, first out. Bertrude and Volfred were late to the party.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Get Volfred all up in there.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Ti'zo. Bertrude doesn't really mind downside (especially if Volfred's still there) and Volfred's plan was never really intended to demand his personal presence. Just people he trusted.
And who the hell wouldn't trust Ti'zo?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Solumin posted:

I will say that Oralech should not be anointed. The motivation behind the liberation rights is to reward those who have achieved enlightenment and absolve them of their crimes. Oralech may have achieved enlightenment once, but his anger has consumed him. By trying to end the rights, he cannot stand to benefit from them.

You talk about Oralech as not being worthy of the rites, yet our party has subverted them to put agents into positions of influence for a revolution to disrupt the whole system. We too are trying to end the rites.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Didn't Volfred not want to be sent up?

He asked not to be the first sent up, but that was long ago.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Anoint Volfred. It's too poetic to finish the Plan with its architect than to do it any other way.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

: Liberation – Gameplay
: Music: Never To Return

Thus ends the Liberation Rite.

And thus, the Scribes have chosen:

: …Praise the Scribes, we’ve done it.

: You look upon Volfred for what you expect shall be the last time you see each other. Any moment now, the Shimmer-Pool shall engulf him. Any moment now, he shall return to glory, and join his agents in the Commonwealth to help achieve the Plan. Any moment now, the cycle of the Rites shall end, until at least the dawn of a new age.

: Any moment now…

Ahem. And thus, the Scribes have chosen.

And thus, the Scribes have chosen…?!

And thus, the SCRIBES HAVE CHOSEN?!

No….

Nightwings!! Reader! What have you done…?!

: …Hold…. There’s something wrong.

: Each prior time upon the Fall of Soliam, the Shimmer-Pool has opened, following the Liberation Rite, and taken in whichever exile prevailed. But now, all is still, and the light of the stars above has all but died. You sense a growing fear that it is already too late, that the Shimmer-Pool shall not reveal itself again.

: Oralech approaches, his head bowed.

: …The Eight Scribes saved their greatest treachery for last.

: Then, something else catches his notice.

: …Wait.

: A sudden rush of starlight cascades through the stillness of the summit.

: Volfred looks upon it, but it does not engulf him, or at least, not yet.

: …It seems I was mistaken, then.

: The Eight Scribes… this is not their greatest treachery. It is their greatest jest. The Shimmer-Pool is flung wide open.

: It seems that all are worthy, now, of freedom.

: Oralech strides toward the Shimmer-Pool, but…

: Oralech glances over at The Lone Minstrel, almost in surprise.

: The Shimmer-Pool has lost most of its strength. You step inside, and you shall surely drown. Of that I can assure you.

: He laughs to himself at this.

: Then, we have all been cheated.

: No. The Shimmer-Pool is revealed, and one of you may still return, as planned.

: The final trial… of the Scribes….

: Then… our confrontation… the Liberation Rite… it all was meaningless…?

: No… the victor of the confrontation is to be the one to make the choice, among those closest to the Scribes. Either the anointed, or he who anointed them.

: So, then, the choice is mine to make… my freedom, weighed against the Reader’s, is that it…?

: Aye. It shall be either you, the Reader, or…

: …It shall be either, or.

: Volfred… please, make your decision quickly, lest it shall be forfeit. I do not know for how much longer the light of the stars shall offer you this gift.

: A snap decision, then…. Fine, I have it made….

: Volfred wishes to give up his freedom, so that you may regain yours.

: …Very well. Reader sir, the choice which Volfred made… or rather, the choice which he gave… it is now yours to make, instead.

: This choice, it may keep bouncing back and forth like this? Absurd.

: It may, until such time as one of you is willing to accept the burden and the outcome of the choice. That is the trial. And… I fear that there is little time remaining, now.

: Hmph. Reader… if you and your companion are too cordial with each other to accept that freedom, either one of you… then I shall gladly take it. Freedom ought be more than some flirtatious trifle to exchange.

: Reader… what is your will?

What is our will?

From the beginning, Volfred wanted only two things: for the Commonwealth’s aristocracy to be held accountable for their unjust decisions, and for literacy to be widespread, because knowledge and ideas should not be the privilege of a select few. He had been stoking the fires of rebellion since before his banishment, and when he was finally caught and sentenced to the Downside, his insurrection did not cease.

He was soon picked up by the Nightwings. His knack for literacy made him the perfect candidate as their Reader, a role he took to wonderfully, and he doubled as a participant in the Rites. On one fateful Liberation Rite, his close friend Oralech was anointed for freedom, and they succeeded – but Oralech was cheated from his liberation, and Volfred presumed he had perished. Distraught, he vowed to never again participate in the Rites.

His hopes for a bloodless revolution are very nearly a reality, and he now has the opportunity to see it with his own eyes.

Do we give Volfred his freedom?

The Commonwealth had been in a never-ending war with the Highwing Remnants since before anyone could remember, and Oralech had been drafted into the Commonwealth’s military as a field physician. He was excellent at what he did, but he grew to hate the senseless conflict, and attempted to broker a treaty between the two factions. When neither listened, he refused to return to his station, and was banished for insubordination.

Shortly after, he was taken in by the Nightwings, where he learned of the Rites and the potential reward that came with them. He quickly became the best participant the Rites had ever seen, and when the Nightwings reached the summit of Mount Alodiel, he was anointed to gain his freedom. And he succeeded – but, moments before he could claim his prize, he was instead shoved from the mountain, and he was forced to recuperate from his injuries alone for many years.

Oralech had, by all rights, proved his worth, and was cheated his freedom at the last moment. He had been fostering his anger all this time, and now, his chance at finally claiming what is his lays before him.

Do we give Oralech his freedom?

There isn’t much to know about us. The war between the Commonwealth and the Highwing Remnants had cost us our parents, leaving us orphaned at a young age. Still, we had a curious mind and a penchant for knowledge, and, despite the warnings and penalties that came with it, we eventually learned to both read and write. Ultimately, this became our downfall: literacy is a criminal offense, punishable by a lifetime in the Downside. When we arrived, we suffered a debilitating injury that forever removed us from eligibility as a competitor.

Despite our difficult, sordid life, we never let our trials get in the way of our altruism: all we’ve ever wanted from the beginning was to see our friends succeed. Although there is no past or future where we never learn to read, if given the choice between leading a simple farming life or to lead an exciting life sailing the seas, we would stalwartly choose instead to use our learned skills to defend our loved ones, and what is right in the Commonwealth.

Our crime is that we were brave enough to learn to read. Literacy is what got us into the Downside. Literacy is what may get us out.

Do we give freedom to ourselves?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oralech

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Ever since we became the new Reader, we have been the one in charge of all the decision. Volfred, despite his love for his country and his dedication to his own Plan has decided that instead of returning to the home he misses and ensure that everything goes accordingly, we should be the ones to have our freedom. As such I think we should honor the spirit of his decision and not vote for him.
That leaves Oralech and us.

And I will vote for the Reader to be let free: Oralech deserved to have been freed way back when and in this defeat he appears to be mostly gracious about it with all of the snark aimed at the Scribes and their Rites rather than us. But we, just like the Nightwings before us, can still help ensure the Plan we worked so hard towards comes to fruition and fulfill Volfred's dream; not only that but if the Plan succeeds we could show Sandra a new Commonwealth and be reunited with the original triumvirate.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Us, the Reader. Let's blow this popsicle stand.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

We were never the hero of this story. We played a part, a significant part, but ultimately a small one in the grand scheme of things. Volfred organized his agents and set this revolution on its way for years, a long time before he was even cast down into the Downside. Every single companion we liberated has contributed to the Plan after doing their part for the Nightwings, with our guidance getting them out, of course. But we should not accept Volfred's offer.

Think about it. If we went up, we would not be doing much more for the world above, either during the revolution or afterwards. All we have to offer the world is our capacity to read (something I'm sure the Plan is going to change, especially if Volfred goes up and gets together with his obviously literate agents writing us updates from the Commonwealth) and our empathy. But others, like Hedwyn, Jodariel, and Mae also possess such a giving spirit, and have already been doing much more besides. Like Ti'zo and Bertrude, we could actually do some good down here in the Downside if we stay. Our literacy could save the lives of many people, and keeping in touch with the world above is obviously doable.

That is why Volfred is not only the most pragmatic choice, but also the kindest and most merciful for the world. The Commonwealth's authorities didn't want us for our reading ability, and even if we were to fight for freedom before our exile, we couldn't have gotten far without the help of the Nightwings. If Volfred went up with our gift of freedom, we would be doing the new order a favor even greater than Volfred would be doing to us in letting us go. Sorry, Hedwyn, Rukey, Jodariel. We have to break our promise to get out, because like Volfred said to Oralech, the Plan is greater and more important than any friendship.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
That's an interesting twist to throw in there at the end.

If I follow my same logic, I'd actually use the moment to redeem Oralech. He knows he is beaten, and we know that he did indeed earn his liberation well before we started this adventure and was cheated out of it.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Oralech. Pragmatism be damned, he should've been back up there years ago, and it's not as if the liberation rites haven't had us vote for principles of morality over pure practicality before.
And hell. Once the stars are finished falling on it, downside can't be so bad. It's got all the Falcon Ron we can handle.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Hedwyn, Rukey, Jodariel, the reader. They'd all go free together. A promise was made, a promise will be kept. The Reader goes free.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 1, 2018

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Oralech

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Shogeton posted:

Hedwyn, Rookie, Jodariel, the reader. They'd all go free together. A promise was made, a promise will be kept. The Reader goes free.

The Reader. Also, remember that we're carrying Sandra with us. She may not become free of the Crystal, but maybe of the Downside.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

As extra argument, Oraleth and Volfred are capable, fit individuals. We are a crippled scholar who is ill equipped to handle life in the Downside.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The Reader. Respect Volfred's decision imo.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Besides, sending Volfred means that Volfrend and Bertrude are never seeing eachother again. And they are good friends. While our best friends are up there.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
The Reader. We made a promise, so long ago... and we should respect Volfred's will.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Shogeton posted:

Hedwyn, Rukey, Jodariel, the reader. They'd all go free together. A promise was made, a promise will be kept. The Reader goes free.

This is the correct choice, The Reader is going to blow this popsicle stand.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

It must be The Reader. But not for us.

We carry the Beyonder Crystal.

It is time for Sandra to be finally free.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Annoint The Reader

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Reader

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Oralech lost and Volfred has decided he'd rather send us. I wouldn't want to get into a "no YOU hang up first" at the best of times, let alone when freedom is on the line. The Reader shall gain their freedom.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Give The Reader the freedom they deserve. We're probably young enough that we still have a long life ahead of us. Don't waste it rotting away down here.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
The reader

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
Oralech he had the first right of return, if any of him remains he will make what replaces the Commonwealth better. It's not our story as the reader, it is a tale of doing the right thing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Shogeton posted:

Thank you, I had forgotten about the promise. That makes my decision to liberate the Reader much easier.

And also this way we free Sandra, in her own way.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I was gonna go for Volfred, it is after all his Plan, but since I'd be the lone second vote I'll just go with the Reader. It is after all, Volfred's plan.

I mean, Oralech decided to form his own shadow copy of the Nightwings. Had he rolled with us he would've gone up the first chance he got.

He did not.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The Reader. There's a promise to keep, damnir.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Reader. Until Tizo, Volfred, and Oralech can all go free together, they should be together. Oralech is a broken man, who firmly rebukes their friendship, but I do not think he is beyond hope, so long as he doesn’t have to watch his OG crew leave before him. And we have our own original team waiting for us. And our own part to play in The Plan. And Sandra.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
And if Oralech joins the Nightwings, that's a full triumvirate with a Reader (Volfred).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sandra The Reader She has served her penance, maybe fully removed from the stars down here the power of the orb will be weak enough. And if not, she can see what this final cycle has wrought for herself.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Part of me wants to give Oralech the pity prize. He could have sought a much less malicious approach to getting justice for what happened to him. But he didn't. As quick as old Brighton is to blame the Reader for screwing up the cycle of the stars, Oralech's sabotage of the Rites seems a more likely root cause.

I think it's best to put some distance between Oralech and the Reader. Volfred wants the Reader to go, and there are promises that should be kept. I say send the Reader.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I'm just gonna assume ol' Volfred knows what he's doing and pick the Reader.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pick Volfred. Sandra cannot leave her orb in the downside or the commonwealth; she will be happy as long as she is with the reader.

But Volfred derves his freedom for all the same reasons he did in the anointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
I say stick with Volfred. We didn't go into this with the expectation of being freed, and Volfred still has the plan to finish.

• Locked thread