Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Ti'zo is excellent on defense? Huh. I always tended to use him as a Roadrunner-style maneuver fiend, snatching the orb and zipping past the opponents for a quick dive at their Pyre. He's well on par with Rukey (and another future member) in being nastily swift. One of his later abilities also helps a ton with this.

Definitely bring Ti'zo, Mae and Hedwyn. Jodariel can rest on her laurels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Maple Leaf posted:

Music: Thrash Pack

: I think this song is my favourite in the entire OST, and that’s really saying something.
That is one badass track.

As for our choices in the rites: Ti'zo, Mae and Hedwyn

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I effing love that track.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Ti'zo at factory settings isn't great at offence, although his hover ability can invalidate lower-level AI players when used properly and his zip puts him about on par with Hedwyn for mobility in a pinch so he's not nothing.

But, uh, there are, some, uh, advancement opportunities.

Also, there was one particular enemy imp who showed up in one particular late game rite who was the loving bane of my existence.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

One thing you didn't note about Tariq's lute is that when you hit it up to play one of the tracks you've unlocked, it doesn't play the track that plays in the game but a remix for solo guitar. It's pretty cool.

Some tracks, like Thrash Pack, sound very different on the lute!

Meanwhile: I never noticed Ti'zo was slower than Jodariel. Jodi always seemed so painfully slow to me until I gave her that quickness item. Must be the size of the characters giving an illusion.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 16, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Pyre's cast is very good, but unfortunately Ti'Zo is the unambiguous winner. Pyre is a race, and Ti'Zo is giddily taking his victory lap before he even begins his first match.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Pyre's cast is very good, but unfortunately Ti'Zo is the unambiguous winner. Pyre is a race, and Ti'Zo is giddily taking his victory lap before he even begins his first match.

Skreekeekee.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I love the worldbuilding that Supergiant pulls off, game to game. Everything throws shadows of something larger.

Mae, Hedwyn, and Ti'zo, if you're still picking. Something tells me these agile little fellows would be the bane of Jodi's existence.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

: This New Partnership – Gameplay

Music: Thrash Pack

: Technically, Hedwyn didn’t obtain enough Enlightenment to level up, but because he had Inspiration from the previous round that he did not participate in, it was automatically cashed in, which just barely pushed him over into the next level.

: We’re still working towards Divine Retribution, but now we have our choice between the two second-level perks Moon Formation and Sacred Bond, or I could take the first-level perk in the left tree, Martial Training (as described here).

: Right now I’m operating on the same logic as last time: Moon Formation gives me buffs while I have the Orb, while Sacred Bond requires that someone on my team be banished in the first place. I shouldn’t operate on the assumption that I’m doing poorly (at least, not yet), so I should focus on making my strengths stronger before dealing with my weaknesses.

: Jodariel and Rukey both obtain 250 points worth of Inspiration (even though Rukey sat himself out), whereas Mae also got to experience her first level up!

: Mae’s perks mostly revolve around movement rather than offense. She already runs the fastest of the bipeds, and she easily jumps the furthest out of everyone; the tradeoff is that she has a bit of a delay before performing these actions.

: The two first-level perks are Heightened Reflex (the minor startup time before Mae sprints or jumps is removed) and Snap Cast (the charge-up time for Mae to cast her Aura is reduced drastically). Her four second-level perks are Traitor’s Flight (Mae’s jump distance goes even further); Webbed Feet (while sprinting, nearby adversaries are slowed); Quick Fling (Mae flings the Orb faster and further than usual); and Sudden Grasp (I haven’t done it yet, but during gameplay, you can Salute, or taunt, your enemies with the press of a button. It’s usually just flavour, but, with Sudden Grasp, Mae will automatically leap towards the Orb while Saluting if nobody has it).

: And, the two important perks, the third levels, are False Step (Mae returns from banishment immediately if she’s banished while jumping) and Dark Vigor (Mae has limitless stamina while holding the Orb).

: We’re only going to get four level-ups per character throughout the entire game, but we don’t necessarily have to put every perk into a single tree. We could do two-and-two or three-and-one if we wanted. That said, Dark Vigor sounds pretty nutty, so I want that. Combined with Heightened Reflex, Mae will definitely be our star forward.

: So, even though I don’t think Snap Cast is that great a perk, I’m going to take it, then Quick Fling and Dark Vigor, and then cap Mae off with Heightened Reflex.

: Meanwhile, Ti’zo actually already came with a handful of Enlightenment (which makes sense, considering he, of all characters, probably knows the most about the Rites right now), and his performance today granted him enough to level up as well.

: Ti’zo’s first level perks are Elusive Nature (Ti’zo flutters and zips much quicker than usual) and Moon Sign (if Ti’zo is banished, he basically drops a teleporter than allies can move to by walking into their Pyre). His second-level perks are Safe Return (after Imploding, Ti’zo returns much faster than usual); Titan’s Rage (Implosion reaches a larger area); Last Laugh (if Ti’zo is banished and he isn’t carrying the Orb, he immediately Implodes. Also, has a great name); and Wild Heart (after a Salute, Ti’zo transforms into a faster Howler. Salute again to change back).

: And finally, his third-level perks are Inner Glory (Ti’zo gets a straight ten-point buff to his Glory, putting his damage up to 25) and Star Sign (if banished, Ti’zo drops a sigil that improves his allies’ speed and stamina).

: This is actually a tough call because I’d like to have Last Laugh more than either Inner Glory or Star Sign, but Last Laugh is a second-level perk and I only get four throughout the game. I’m not certain if it’s worth splitting my perks that thin, and making things harder is that Moon Sign is not worth as much as Elusive Nature, at least not to me.

: That said, Safe Return and Titan’s Rage together make Ti’zo a much stronger defenseman, and he’s already really good at that. So, keeping to my current stance of “making my strengths stronger,” I’ll work towards those two perks, and I’ll very likely take Inner Glory over Moon Sign.

: Splendid was your guidance of the Nightwings, Reader. Your fellows are fortunate to have found one such as you. May you find the freedom that you seek.

: … You all right, Rukey?

: Think so, chum, I just need a little time. Didn’t count on Barker being caught up in all this.

: You don’t owe him your conscience. You’ll sort things out with him, you always do.

: Barker… doesn’t really seem like the negotiable type to me. Which must say more about Rukey’s skills as a negotiator than Barker’s character.

: Hm. I do not wish to interrupt, but the dark of night is waning.

: Reader, would you join us outside, please?

Gfy

: Then, it is as I feared. We are to press further north, beneath the valley into Flagging Hands.

: The Scribes are watching over us! They will protect us, wherever we should go!

: Had you been to Flagging Hands, you would not say such things. The Scribes have surely turned their backs on that place.

: If I may? The bleakness of Flagging Hands shall wear upon you, to be sure. I urge for you to take what rest you can, for you shall need your strength upon the road ahead.

: Your fellow exiles agree to turn in for the remainder of the night. At dawn, you shall have to press deeper into the Downside.

: I bet it’s Rukey.

: Ti’zo’s made himself at home, so that’s nice. Here’s his bio, since he’s a playable character:

: You can tell something is troubling Rukey, though he seems relieved to see you.

: Hey, uh, chum. Listen, I got to level with you real quick.

: You remember Barker, don’t you? Not exactly easy to forget, though believe you me, I try.

Gfy

: I’ve been down here a little while, as you can see by now. But Barker, he’s been here longer. He’s made quite the name down here. As for me, I needed help, you understand. I had a certain standard to uphold!

: So… I figured he would be the one to ask.

: Based on the way you dress, and from you saying you had “standards to uphold,” I’m guessing you asked for money, clothes, and or favours. What in heaven’s name told you that Barker was your safest choice in debtor?!

: Then, Rukey hesitates…

: So what if I owe him, though, right, chum?! I got people back on the other side, and just between us… we’re LOADED. I mean RICH!

: My little problem with Barker, soon it’s gonna take care of itself, just as soon as my people send the money through. So! I am telling you right here and now, don’t you even worry about it, and I’m sure everything on that front is going to end up real tidy, real soon!

: Well, I’m convinced! I wonder if he is.

: With that, he scampers off before you can respond. It seems Rukey owes a debt of some sort. What is on the line, exactly, you are unsure.

: With that done, we’re ready to move on to Flagging Hands. Sounds like a wonderful vacation spot to me!

: Come dawn, you find Hedwyn and Jodariel assessing the current situation with the minstrel.

: Are you most certain?

: Aye, madam. I make no claim the journey shall be pleasant, but it is necessary.

: Hedwyn motions to you as they continue talking.

: Seems we’ll have some work to do once we arrive in Flagging Hands. Let’s get going, soon as you’re ready. Sooner we get there, sooner we can leave.

Gfy

: Music – Sinking Feeling

: Similar to our intermission with the Howlers on our way to the Cairn of Ha’ub, there’s nothing to do at this stop, so let’s just do some Considering.

: The Flagging Hands region proves as dismal as Jodariel indicated. The air is thick and foul.

: How far to the Pit of Milithe?

: All the way across the marshlands, on the coast.

: Reader, would you join me in the wagon for a moment? We have matters to discuss.

: Jodariel and Hedwyn exchange looks. Then she turns to you.

: Go see what he wants.

: Oh, it looks like we have a new trinket. Looks like some kind of neon-green crystal ball.

: Thank you for your time, Reader. I have something for you, on behalf of my client: Before you is an artifact called the Beyonder Crystal.

: You observe a shimmering crystal of some sort, beside the Book of Rites.

: As you have surmised, the triumvirates you are to confront during the Rites shall stop at nothing to prevail against you. They have prepared for this for quite some time. The Beyonder Crystal may help ensure that you are well-prepared, in turn.

: It is a resource now at your disposal, to be used at your discretion…. Gaze upon it, and you shall see what I mean.

: But specifically…

: If I were Rukey, I’d immediately be concerned. But hell, this whole journey has been one weirdness to another. Let’s give this crystal a look.

: Music – Forbidden Knowledge

: An apparition appears before you, clad in the raiments of the Rites, but incorporeal.

: … I sense that you are not a total idiot.

: She reaches for the clasps on her mask.

: Oh, but where are my manners? You must be their lovely Reader. Please, call me Sandra. We met briefly before, when you first beheld the Book. When you were stuck inside of it. I was among the phantoms your companions banished there, no doubt stroking their egos.

: You listened well enough to that damned Voice. Now, I suggest you listen well to me.

: I am bound in servitude to you. Along with any idiots whose freedoms happen to be intertwined with yours.

: I know the Rites better than anyone. I soon can whip you into shape, if you but take advantage of my services.

: First, I offer Scribe Trials to those friends of yours. If you can pass, it shall be worth their while, and yours. Secondly, my Beyonders and I avail ourselves for Practice Rites, should you be so inclined.

: Or you could always come and chat, and briefly free me from an eternity of boredom, hmm?

: Well, uh… how are you, Sandra?

: I do appreciate the effort to make small-talk with me, Reader. Anything to break from the monotony of staring at the void within this place. Not that I could see it if I tried.

: She laughs at this, or maybe at herself.

: Certainly, I could make talk with my fellow Beyonders, trapped here as they are with me. You might expect that we all would keep each other company.

: There is just one problem, however.

: She laughs again. Perhaps not at her joke, but instead at her predicament.

: I do exaggerate to some extent. But, there is a certain truth in this. We have been stuck together long enough that we have grown more distance rather than more close. But, I had best not wear out my welcome with the likes of you, as I have long since done with all the others here.

: So, carry on for now, and if those fools with whom you travel learn something, come bring them forth to me, and I shall see to it they learn some more.

: I want to feel bad for Sandra, but I’m not sure if I’m allowed to.

: Scribe Trials are only available when the Beyonder Crystal “seeks” one of our characters. Rukey has been summoned by the Beyonders, so let’s see what’s in the books for our cur.

: :ohdear:

: You ask Sandra to administer one of her special trials for Rukey.

: What, the loud-mouthed cur? Well, I suppose that he is ready, technically… though, I have a litany of reservations about him. But, let us bring him forth.

: Uh, chum, why you looking at me like that…?

Gfy

: All right, what’s the big idea, huh?! This some kind of trick you’re playing, chum?

: The apparition Sandra then appears, and unfastens her mask.

: Shut you snout and listen well, Cur. You answer to me here.

: W-wha?!

: Your mouth runs quicker than those stubby little paws.

: You have much to learn if you have any intent to prevail in the Rites. Let us see how you fare without the benefit of your trusted comrades… save for your lovely Reader.

: Uh, I guess it’s you and me, then, huh, chum? Wherever you are.

: Face My Demons – Gameplay

: Hey… what’s that you got?

: Whenever someone completes one of Sandra’s trials, they get a Talisman that is unique to, and only useable by, them. As you can probably guess, they’re pretty nutty: Jomuer’s Fang, on top of being pulled straight from the mouth of one of the Scribes themselves, causes Rukey’s Aura to remain on-screen three times longer than usual.

: Considering how quick Rukey is, with this Talisman, Rukey will be able to zip all over the place longer and lock down whole areas on the field with next to no effort. He was already difficult to move against, and now, with this Fang, he’ll be downright oppressive.

: And we can buff it.

: Stardust is a precious commodity right now, so I’m not actually going to spend it on Jomuer’s Fang right now. But the opportunity is there!

: There’s nothing left for us at this stop, so we’re free to continue forward… but we’re not gonna just yet, because we have to handle a decision!

: Who do we choose to bring into the next Rite? Our choices are Hedwyn, Rukey, Jodariel, Mae and Ti’zo. Five votes gets them on the roster, and remember, the order you vote for the characters matters!

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 23, 2018

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Let's get Rukey, Mae, and Ti'zo in the scrum. Rukey needs to show off that pretty new talisman, Ti'Zo has to keep playing defense and suicide-bomb, and I want to see Mae get all giggly when she wins.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Olive Branch posted:

Let's get Rukey, Mae, and Ti'zo in the scrum. Rukey needs to show off that pretty new talisman, Ti'Zo has to keep playing defense and suicide-bomb, and I want to see Mae get all giggly when she wins.

This tbqh.

We've now seen some of Ti'zo's options so I can say a bit more about how much he can rule as a trickster forward. As your first two perks, you can straight up buff his dash, and you can unlock his Moon Sign ability. These two together can accomplish some bullshit. Ti'zo can make a suicide dash with the Orb somewhere deep, and pass it back before getting banished. This puts someone else on your team right next to a teleporter. That's pretty nuts, because you can straight up ignore the enemy's positioning with it if you're attentive. On top of that, you get to pick whatever else you want; I never really found much time for Ti'zo's implosions, although his Presence makes him pretty handy as a defender regardless, so tier 2 on the left to me is kind of a wash, but the buff to Glory is great, because when combined with a Later Thing it means Ti'zo can more often than not just score hella goals on his own and his bullshit teleporter gambit can be an amazing plan B. Ti'zo rules.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Let's bring Jodariel, Rukey, and Mae into the next right. Jodariel's big ol' aura-cast on defense plus our two zippiest members has got to be a winning combination, right?

Also, thank you so much for doing this. I bought Pyre when it came out, but my computer is so old and janky that it can't actually run the game, so for now I have to experience it vicariously, like, say, through this LP. I'm quite enjoying our Sportsball road trip through Wizard Purgatory (or whatever the hell the Downside actually is) thus far!

vdate fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 23, 2018

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Been getting into Pyre pretty hard this past week so I’m catching up on the thread. Anyone who would tell Falcon Ron to shut up is a monster.

You should field Ti’zo, Jodariel, and Mae in the next Rite.

EDIT: Also Thrash Pack is probably my favorite track in the game and Barker rules, so much so that I was always looking forward to another opportunity to clash with the Dissidents.

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 23, 2018

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Hedwyn, Mae, Rukey. Or "Team wait-is-it-already-over"?

I think so, at least. I have never actually played Pyre, so I might be screwing you over unintentionally.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

placid saviour posted:

I think so, at least. I have never actually played Pyre, so I might be screwing you over unintentionally.

Nah, that's a solid team, but my vote's for Rukey, Jodariel, Mae.

I'm so bad with Jodariel. I can't use her at all compared with any of the faster exiles.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
Jodariel, Ti'zo and Mae get my vote. Let's go Team Mae's Best Friends.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Really Pants posted:

I'm so bad with Jodariel. I can't use her at all compared with any of the faster exiles.

Jodariel was my favorite character to use, but also I increased her Quickness with a talisman so she was about as fast as any other normal character on my team.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Wordybird posted:

Jodariel, Ti'zo and Mae get my vote. Let's go Team Mae's Best Friends.
Voting for this as well.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I did some research on this game, and while I won't spoil anything, I can note that the character's skill trees have names.

Hedwyn:
Marks of the Master General (Martial Training and up)
Bonds of the Sahrian Legion (Shared Tenacity)

Jodariel
Sins of the Fallen Emperor (Long Stride)
Boons of the First Exile (Relentless Vigor)

Rukey
Maneuvers of Many-Mane (Cloud Jump)
Traits of the Alpha-Chief (Glory Dive)

Mae
Tricks of the Rope-Caller (Heightened Reflex)
The Grand Traitor’s Leanings (Snap Cast)

Ti'zo
Secrets of the Accursed Imp (Elusive Nature)
Flights of the Swallow (Moon Sign)

I'll post the others as we get them.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

With that last vote, our team's been assembled! We have Mae as our forward, followed by Rukey and Jodariel as our defensive lines.

This vote was pretty close for all positions! Mae and Rukey were tied at four until Kaubocks pushed Mae into the lead and was clinched by placid saviour, and Ti'zo and Jodariel were head-to-head until radintorov voted for Jodi before Ti'zo. So, you have our lineup for the next update!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I don't have anything to vote with, but I'm digging this game a lot so far.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
The worldbuilding in this game really is wonderfully evocative, so I went back and looked at some of the Big Book Of Sportsball world-building snippets, and found something interesting (if not wholly surprising).

This page has the distinctive eight-star glyph that draws itself before the start of each round of the Rites; I figured it was the sign of the Scribes to begin with, but didn't notice until the reread that each of the eight smaller stars has a smaller glyph as its own individual label, and that we've seen some of them before, too. Specifically:

on the shots of the character mastery trees. Given the flavour text in the mastery descriptions, I'm guessing these are the personal symbols of the Scribes, and that each of our characters is going to have their mastery describe one of the eight. (Also, by extension, that we're probably gonna have eight party members? That's probably the lowest-hanging fruit in the game in terms of predictions, though.) Of course, if that's true, I'm wondering how Khaylmer, described as #1 on the writer's 'guy I wish I'd ganked while I had the chance' list, ended up being one of the eight.

I like the use of personal symbols rather than just written names. It makes sense in a setting where literacy is illegal, although I'm not yet sure how recent a development that was.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

: You find everyone is feeling rather miserable. You sense just being in Flagging Hands eats away at one’s spirit. Only the imp Ti’zo seems unaffected.

: … Good. That’s… that’s what I wanted.

: A moment, Reader? There are several courses we may take through Flagging Hands. If you choose to prolong your stay, it may be worth your while.

: However, your companions’ spirits shall likely suffer more.

: We’re given three choices, as opposed to the usual two. None of them have especially welcoming names – if I had to choose, Coldmoat sounds the most ‘appealing’ of the three.

: We’re on a particular time limit of sorts: the longer we stay in Flagging Hands, the harder it’ll hit our Hope stat. Hope determines how long our players stay banished, should they be banished at all. So, the obvious solution is to not be banished. It’s easy.

: Going by that argument, I’m fine with not taking Plaguemont and going for some other buff on our way to the Pit of Milithe. Also, I don’t want to go to a place called Plaguemont.

: I’m not interested in going to Fallowfield just for some Stardust, though, so I’ll head to Coldmoat and look for that ‘valuable item.’

Gfy

: The north route through Flagging Hands is dismal beyond reckoning. There is little talk among your group, yet you sense despair encroaching. Only Ti’zo seems unaffected.

: We’ll, uh, we’ll be fine.

: Later, you accompany The Lone Minstrel in pursuit of his task here.

: Speak not directly to the living shade, and be true to your heart when responding to its inquiries. And… make no attempt to look it in the eye.

: The Lone Minstrel offers these and other words of advice as you approach the burial mounds of Coldmoat, where many exiles of the Downside see their final days.

: According to the shade, the Book that you possess may lay some of the fallen here to rest. The shade leaves you to your work. You turn through the Book, locating passages concerning freedom and the spirit. You recite such words as seem best fit to each of the fallen you see.

: It is draining work.

: The shade resurfaces after a while. It leads you to a hollowed stump, then fades away.

: The Noxshroom is vender trash that’s worth fifty coins. Considering we’ll be going into the next Rite already at a pretty hefty disadvantage, we won’t be using the Contract to make a couple extra dollars, so this detour was worth it, at least monetarily.

: Assuming we win, of course.

Gfy

: By the time you reach the Pit of Milithe, everyone besides the imp Ti’zo seems to be feeling even worse than before. You sense their desire to leave this place as soon as possible.

: drat, I’m going to need to play out of my mind at this rate.

: There’s quite a bit to do here in the Pit of Milithe before we begin. Which is weird, considering that we’d want to spend as little time here as possible. You’d think we’d just show up, play ball, then get going before anything has a chance to gently caress us up even worse.

: In any case, someone would like to speak with us, so let’s head into the blackwagon.

: You sense Jodariel’s steel gaze well before you turn to her.

: Reader. Rummaging about the wagon once again. Tell me something, now that you are here.

: Look at me. Are you afraid of me?

: You consider the question. You have never before met someone like her, but do know something of what happens to those who remain in the Downside for many years.

: Obviously, I write these posts after having already played and recorded the session.

: At the time of me playing the game, I was a bit confused by what Jodariel had wanted from me. She can be a little difficult to read sometimes. When we first met, she wanted to mercy-kill me; for a short while after that, I had gotten the impression that she didn’t want me around.

: I wasn’t sure if it was because she just didn’t like me, or she didn’t like riding around in a cramped wagon for days at a time or whatever, but I figured that she might have been putting on an impression. That she wanted to come off as abrasive and intense. And that she was asking me if it was working.

: You tell her in a careful way that you have done your best thus far to not cross paths with her, and wish to stay in her good graces.

: That is definitely not how I would phrase it, though.

: Indeed. It is comforting to know that my mere presence instills fear.

: One day perhaps you too shall grow some horns, if you survive this place. That day shall put the fear you feel in some perspective. Now then, I shall go make my rounds.

: She walks away. You feel the floor of the wagon shake with her step.

: Thinking back on it now, Jodariel may have a stern way with words, and she may sometimes act as if she doesn’t want anything to do with the Rites, but she’s otherwise done everything she could in the best interests of the group. Of course she’s grumpy – she’s been down here long enough to grow an impressive pair of horns on her head. She was the welcoming committee for Mae for a reason.

: I didn’t need the debuff to know that I had really hurt Jodi’s feelings when I said she was intimidating, despite her best efforts, and now I feel like a big ol’ jerk :(

: Maybe some light reading will take my mind off how poorly I just handled that.

Gfy

: There’s one more thing to do before we begin the Rite, and that’s to give Falcon Ron a visit. He’s probably got something good for us, and I’ve got some fungus I know he’ll love.

: Another Pinch of Stardust, and two more Talismans: a Faith Stone, which will great the bearer +2 Hope, and a Scribe Rock, which grants the bearer +2 Presence.

: Before we do any shopping, though, let’s sell the mushroom for some sweet, sweet cash.

: As for what I want, I don’t think to browse all of Ron’s inventory and I focus just on the two new Talismans that have appeared. They’re both decent picks, doing the same thing for different stats.

: That said, I don’t think the Faith Stone would be the better pick right now. Flagging Hands is going to take a huge dump on our Hope stat no matter how much we try to buff it, and we’re already so debuffed that the Faith Stone would be like trying to put out a brushfire with a squirt bottle.

: Which might be a backwards way of thinking about it: if we’re doing so poorly, why not do anything in our power to make things a little easier on ourselves? But, my way of thinking is that, if we take the Faith Stone, we’ll ultimately make our Hope stat only slightly less worse, whereas if we take the Scribe Rock, we’ll make our Presence stat better.

: Gimme some of that Stardust while I’m here.

: Stardust is going to get incrementally more expensive the more Ron sells it to us, so enjoy that six-dollar price tag while it lasts.

: Hah, I know you’re going to like that stuff, guys, it’s pretty whooooo, know what I mean? And if you want some more, now, I know just the individual and his Dad who can get it, catch my meaning, yeah? Just stop on by some other time!

: The other Pinch of Stardust costs a whole nineteen coins, which is too much for my blood right now. I think that’s enough for this visit to the market.

: Before we commence the Rite, we should get geared up for the upcoming battle. It’s going to be a tough one, especially with all the Hope debuffs, and we could use everything we can. Specifically, I got a Talisman that hopefully Jodariel, uh, won’t read too much into.

: Adding one of our Pinches of Stardust to the Scribe Rock that we just bought… does nothing. This image looks like it’s saying that it’ll buff the Rock to give the bearer +4 Presence, but what it’s actually saying is that this will change the Scribe Rock’s effects from +2 to +2.

: If we want the Scribe Rock to actually do anything, we’ll need to give it a second hit. Luckily, we happen to have a second pinch hanging around.

: Now, whoever bears this Talisman will get a +3 to their Presence. Giving this to Jodariel will make her impressive Aura all the larger, and if there’s anything that I’ve stuck to doing so far, it’s making my strengths stronger. So let’s give her this rock.

: Jeez, that 5 Hope is looking pretty dismal. In a sense, it’s lucky that it’s only Hope that’s taking such a hit, because every other stat is active at all times during the Rites and Hope only comes in when someone is banished. So, I just gotta… not get banished. Easy. Like I said.

: As you make preparations for the coming Rite, you wonder if the stars above will even be visible through the dense fog hanging over the Pit of Milithe. Then…

: (Ti’zo seems to be very concerned by something in the vicinity.)

: The little imp disappears in a hurry.

: Oh! Is Ti’zo all right? He was so frightened!

: He was not frightened. He was issuing a warning.

: Silence. Everyone, take cover.

: Jodariel makes quick note of several hiding places among the nearby crags and rotted husks.

: You wait. Something about the place dampens your senses. All you feel is a creeping dread.

: Dread Design – Music

: The shape stops. Slowly, its head turns from one of you the next, each in turn.

: … Wise of ye to hide yourselves from usss, little Nightwings. Ye trespass on the resting-place of the Astral-Born. We shall see ye when the starsss muster the courage to illuminate this place.

: The creature vanishes into the dark…. After a time, your companions reconvene.

: That was a bog-crone.

: Indeed. That was Witch Udmildhe of the Withdrawn.

: (Ti’zo makes clear he has no love of Udmildhe.)

: I really like how Pyre handles Udmildhe. You really get the sense that she’s your first seriously-dangerous enemy: Lendel was a frustrated limp-wrist; Barker was wild but ultimately more concerned with having a good time (and it just so happened that him having a good time meant that we had a bad one); and Dalbert was an upstanding gentleman.

: Everything about Udmildhe, from her appearance, to the way she speaks, all the way down to her drat theme song, just screams ‘do not approach.’ She apparently isn’t above getting physical outside of the Rites. Even the Voice in the video would prefer you win over Udmildhe getting any sort of traction whatsoever. Udmildhe is Pyre’s first truly dangerous villain, and they get the message across well.

: We’ll take what chances we can get in all of this…. Everyone? It’s time.

Gfy

: Road To Ruin – Gameplay

: I was curious on how my players were performing individually, so I counted how many banishments each of my teammates got and how much damage they each did to the enemy’s pyre. This is what I got:

code:
damage:

rukey: 15
jodi: 30
mae: 55

banishments:

rukey: 4
jodi: 9
mae: 4
: Jodariel’s Hope was so dismal that whenever she was banished, she was knocked out for almost three times as long as any of her teammates, and yet she still did twice as much damage to the enemy’s pyre as Rukey and she got a little over twice as many kills. Just goes to show how powerful her defensive game is.

: Moving on, though, Hedwyn and Ti’zo got themselves the usual amount of Inspiration. I should mention: even if you get enough to level up, you can’t actually level up via Inspiration. You need to be involved in the Rite to obtain a new level.

: That said, we got ourselves a new perk!

: I didn’t think to write out Jodariel’s second-level perks when she got her first level a few updates ago, so here they are. From left to right, they are: Crushing Heel (when Joadriel lands from jumping, she stuns nearby enemies into dropping the Orb); Brazen Manner (for seven seconds after Saluting her enemies, Jodariel does an additional 10 damage to an enemy’s Pyre, bringing her up to a devastating 40); Fierce Presence (Jodariel gains a straight +4 buff to Presence); and Enduring Flame (at the start of the Rite, Jodariel’s Pyre begins with an additional +35, uh, Pyrepoints)

: I’m still working towards Celestial Spike, although looking back on it, Enduring Flame would have been a pretty good perk to have, especially after that last match. I can’t undo my perk choices, though, and I’m not much for Saluting my enemies, so I’m going to take Crushing Heel.

: In a sense, Crushing Heel is a bit of a dangerous perk to have because if an enemy drops the Orb, they get their Aura back, and that puts Jodariel at risk. However, as a demon, Jodariel’s Aura is almost guaranteed to be larger than everyone else’s (except other demons, and even then). Besides, as you saw in the video, Jodariel has a tough time approaching an enemy’s pyre because of her slow speed, and Brazen Manner requires her to stop, so, eff that.

: So… when can we get out of here?

: What, Greentail, had enough of Udmildhe’s hospitality for the time?

: Oh, Jodi, yeah, thanks, I’m good!

: The Reader and the stars will point the way, as ever. It’s just… so far, we’ve kept on going north. If that’s the case again this time…

: The Sea of Solis spreads north and west from here, for untold leagues. I could not tell you when last a vessel dared to sail those waters.

: What is the matter, little one?

: (Ti’zo is trying to get you to come look at something outside the wagon.)

: Reader. Please go see what he wants.

: You excuse yourself and follow the imp into the dark of night.

: Can you not read the stars yourself, then, Mister Minstrel?

: I fear it is not so simple as matters of can or cannot when it comes to me, Mae. We shall see what the Reader has to say, for this is his charge.

: And here he is, in fact. Thank you for fetching him, Ti’zo.

: (Ti’zo is happy to have obliged The Lone Minstrel.)

: Reader, it would seem the skies have cleared to some extent. Please, look upon the stars and see where they compel us to go next.

Gfy

: The Rites beckon you still further north… toward the middle of the Sea of Solis.

: That’s not good.

: You’re joking, right, chum?

: Does the Reader seem the joking type to you, Greentail? We do not argue with the stars.

: You talk like we can just go ride right out into the water!!

: Pardon my interruption, though, perhaps we can.

: …Say what?

: My client, Sandalwood. He has a way of anticipating such eventualities. West of here lies a place called Big Bertrude’s. The proprietor is an old companion of his. She may be able to assist us.

: That sounds like our best shot right now. Let’s pack it up and move as soon as possible.

: As much as a rush we’re in to leave a rotting graveyard to swim across the ocean, we need to shoot the poo poo a bit more. I wonder who would want to delay our leave this time?

: Greetings, Reader. It is good that you are here, for there is something that I wished to tell you privately. Do you have a moment? I shall not keep you long, though I know your time is precious.

: Tariq, buddy, you clearly don’t know me very well.

: You bid him to continue, and make clear your interest in whatever he has to say.

: Very well, and thank you for your time. And, I should further note: Matters that pertain directly to the Rites I must reveal to you alone, for thus I am obliged.

: Which seems like a pretty stuffy, unnecessary and obstructive tradition, if you ask me. I’m just going to blab it to everyone as soon as it becomes relevant.

: In any case… when you confronted the Withdrawn, and Witch Udmildhe… you might recall she tended to invoke a certain name.

: …Yslach, the Astral-Born… I hesitate to say it even now.

: Before the union of the Eight Scribes, when first they found themselves here in the Downside, this land was even less hospitable, if that can be believed. It was ruled over by the Greater Titans. The one called Yslach was the eldest and most fearsome of the lot.

: Just the same, the Scribes managed to defeat it. They later used Yslach’s own hide and ichor to bind the Book of Rites.

: That’s pretty metal.

: However… Yslach did not truly die, for by some accounts, it seems to be incapable of death. The creature is regenerating even now, though very, very slowly. Its vow is to devour this land, and everything in it. Only then can it return unto whatever plane that banished it to ours.

: If ever should the creature be re-born, it shall be many ages hence. Thus, the ravings of Udmildhe are more or less inconsequential, for the while. Yet, the history of Yslach is inexorably linked to the Rites, and therefore must be known. I trust your research of the Book shall lead you to discover more, in time.

: I hope all this is some reassurance…? And now I leave you to your more-immediate concerns. I shall go check to see how everyone is faring at this time.

: So, Yslach is basically Lavos from Chrono Trigger. Like, down to the end-goals and motivations. Got it.

: That’s that for this update. No votes on who to take into the next Rite for now; we’ll get to that very soon.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Never did I imagine that a game of pseudo-basketball would be so deep in lore.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Did Udmildhe imply she was going to kill one of her allies? Repaying their failure in blood...

When I got that same dialogue with Jodi, I told her I wasn't afraid of her. By that point I'd understood her heart of gold. She sounded pretty upset about that too, but I don't think she took a morale penalty. She's a complicated person.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 27, 2018

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Tenebrais posted:

Did Udmildhe imply she was going to kill one of her allies? Repaying their failure in blood...

When I got that same dialogue with Jodi, I told her I wasn't afraid of her. By that point I'd understood her heart of gold. She sounded pretty upset about that too, but I don't think she took a morale penalty. She's a complicated person.

Udmildhe totally either sacrificed or violently punished one or more of her underlings after that battle, perhaps even spilled her own blood in ritual apology. She worships the undying corpse of the oldest of the Greater Titans, and the game certainly makes her seem cray enough to go through with the threat.

And ditto on Jodariel. I got that her stoicism was at least a partial mask pretty much the moment Gae (:colbert:) was taken on board my wagon. As far as I recall - and I hope it's alright to mention the alternate result - Jody seems somewhat dourly skeptical at you not being fearful of her if you say so, and comments like it's a bad thing and that you'll come to fear her yet - but she'll gain a stat bonus, rather than a stat penalty, to Hope.

Which says it all, really. Telling her you trust her is enough to outweigh miles of miserable travel penalty.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

demons are so tsundere

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It does seem like a trick question, in as much as the dialogue text has a wildly different implication to what it said on the dialogue option.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I've been wondering this for a while, but perhaps being exiled is being sent to a different plane of existence than everybody else. There seems to be a lot of pseudo religious aspects to the process of the rites and returning home, which I don't think would be there if people could just travel home by ordinary means.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Scribbleykins posted:

Udmildhe totally either sacrificed or violently punished one or more of her underlings after that battle, perhaps even spilled her own blood in ritual apology. She worships the undying corpse of the oldest of the Greater Titans, and the game certainly makes her seem cray enough to go through with the threat.

If the witch's Savage minions are as eccentric as Mae, they might go along with being sacrificed for their dark god.

Udmildhe's aura was weird. Slimy and irregular compared to every other players' neat circles, and it looks like she casts it like a shotgun blast.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 28, 2018

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

EagerSleeper posted:

I've been wondering this for a while, but perhaps being exiled is being sent to a different plane of existence than everybody else. There seems to be a lot of pseudo religious aspects to the process of the rites and returning home, which I don't think would be there if people could just travel home by ordinary means.

I always understood the Downside as being the underworld. Not literally hell - everyone there is still alive - but it's definitely different on a spiritual level to the lands of the Commonwealth.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I've only ever seen the game played at lower difficulties before (largely by people who were there more for the visual novel than the sportsball), but man, that last match was exciting.

Also, yeah, it does seem like this place is somehow separated from the Commonwealth proper. Seems like it's like Wizard Purgatory. Or maybe the Phantom Zone.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Jodariel's question about whether you fear her is interesting, because I think the real situation is she is afraid of you. She's obviously been down here a long time (she draws attention to her horns to point that fact out), and her Hope stat is very low. I think before you showed up she had basically abandoned all expectation of ever escaping, but now that you're here with the stars and the reading and the wagon and the nightwings gambit, I think this whole mess represents both the only hope she's had in a long time as well as a very likely possibility of getting that hope heartbreakingly crushed, and she's afraid of that.

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
We can only hope the climax of this game involves beating Lavos in a friendly game of Sportsball.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

: Although it looks like there’s nothing for us to do on this screen, there’s actually an interaction inside the blackwagon that we can access that the game isn’t telling us about.

: Can you guess where it is?

: If you guessed it’s in the common room, it’s… no, I’m afraid it’s… in the Beyonder Crystal.

: Sanda will usually have something new to say based on new locales and new developments in the plot. Since we’re shoulder-deep into Flagging Hands, she’s got something she’d like to say about it.

: Are you sloshing all the way across the Flagging Hands right now?

: You know, it’s not something that anyone would notice when playing the game normally or reading along with this LP, but up until now, everyone has called this place “Flagging Hands,” not “the Flagging Hands.” It always felt a little awkward to type out without the ‘the,’ and it immediately jumped out at me that Sandra called them that.

: A hideous place, or so I understand, for I can neither see it nor experience its wondrous aroma, as you surely can. Although, perhaps you are accustomed to it, now.

: We share a common misery! Now, please leave me to mine, unless there is a service you require me to render at this time.

: She isn’t exactly a chatterbox, but she provides a unique flavour to our locales and predicaments.

: Judging by the lit exterior and the parasol on the roof, Big Bertrude’s is as close to a ‘vacation spot’ Flagging Hands probably has.

Gfy

: This is the place. Let us go to see my client’s companion as soon as you are ready.

: Not much else to do here in this dank pit, so let’s give Bertrude a visit.

: Sandalwood sent us.

: Those words are enough to make the bog-dwellers snap to attention. They emerge from the mud and dark and begin inspecting your blackwagon with their strange tools.

: Music: Snake Soul

: It… looks like she has… creatures, in her left sleeve?

: Thou speakest the name Sandalwood…. We would know his whereabouts. Reveal them to us.

: Good day to you, Big Bertrude. It is a pleasure to meet you at last, for Sandalwood always spoke highly of you, and your handiwork.

: Nrrrgghh, he did, did he…? In turn, we know who thou must be. Yet, thou speakest of the past. Sandalwood, doth he yet live? Speak plain, and quickly.

: Uh, you first?

: Though, I have every faith that, aye, Sandalwood lives. As for his current whereabouts, I understand that he awaits us somewhere near Wakingwood, beyond the waters. We wish to seek him there. Though, as you can see, our wagon is ill-suited for the task.

: The one called Bertrude frowns at this, studying The Lone Minstrel all the while.

: Nrrrggghh… indeed…. Then, leave us. Return at dawn. That is all.

: By your grace, Big Bertrude.

: Hold on. Are you sure about this…? Leaving the wagon in their care?

: All should be in accordance with my client’s plan.

: You keep calling Sandalwood your client. He must reward you well.

: Aye, in a manner of speaking. He helped me find a sense of purpose I thought lost.

: Hedwyn nods at this, then turns to you.

: Well, my friend, I guess we’ll see what happens, right? I’m off to let the others know.

: You find yourself with time for your Vocations, while the bog-dwellers go about their business.

: If you had forgotten, our options with Vocations are that we can forage for resources (i.e. vendor trash, Talismans, or Stardust); we can tutor an individual among our ranks to increase their Enlightenment; or we can Study on our own and provide small global bonuses to our entire team.

: We’re not in terrible need of tutoring right now, so we can remove that. While I’m always on the lookout for some extra cash to keep us afloat, I think Flagging Hands as taught me a slightly more important lesson about stat upkeep. Also, it was requested a few times, so for now, I’ll do some Studying.

Gfy

: You find a relatively quiet clearing to study the Book of Rites with undivided attention. Through greater understanding comes the Reader’s Influence.

: Whichever one I choose, everyone in my party will receive a permanent buff to the stat of my choosing. We can only get to the Glory once I master all three of the other options, so Glory would be a long ways off.

: They’re all pretty important stats – I’d also argue that Glory is the least important stat of the four – but if Flagging Hands, and my match against Udmildhe, has taught me anything, it’s that having low Hope really, really sucks.

: You concentrate on the substance of the words and teaching of the Book of Rites, such as you understand them thus far.

: Inspiration comes to you in a flash; whether from the Book or from within, you cannot tell.

: The Lone Minstrel finds you early the next day.

: Reader… it is ready. Please, come have a look. The others are already there.

: Goddamn, Bertrude knows how to clean up.

: The blackwagon appears different now than it did even a day before. The hull is fully sealed and reinforced, and all manner of nautical equipment adorns the port side.

: I… wow.

: You people seeing this?! I’m gonna have a look around!

: The wagon should be fit for sea voyage. Let us depart at your earliest convenience.

: What about Big Bertrude?

: Tell that Sandalwood he owes us twice over.

: If I may, Big Bertrude…? You could tell him yourself, if you wish to accompany us in our voyage north. Our group would welcome someone of your vast experience.

quote:

: Who, Sandalwood? I thought you said he asked we find someone to fit in every type of mask. Near as I can tell, yours would fit her just fine!

: What?!

: What?!

: No, I…!

: Enough. But, should ye see that Sandalwood, tell him also to come and visit us again. Now, begone from here, and tell no-one that we were paid in favors.

: She slithers off without another word. Soon, The Lone Minstrel breaks the silence.

: We are fortunate that she assisted us. But we should go, just as she said. I know the navigational controls and shall explain.

: I mean, I guess excitement is an emotion to feel when you put it that way?

: (Ti’zo seems to share Mae’s enthusiasm for heading out to sea.)

: I am beginning to feel ill already.

Gfy

Music: Strange Voyage

: You and your companions watch the sea as your wagon rolls over the gentle waves.

: We have crossed into Wyrm Gulf. I hope that all of you are acclimating well.

: There is no acclimating to these wyrm-infested waters. We risk everything to sail here.

: As long as we follow the cold current Big Bertrude indicated, we shall be safe.

: If the next Rite is in the middle of this sea… how will our adversaries meet us there?

: They shall find their way, as we find ours. It is all part of the Scribes’ design. Now, Reader? Please confirm the next point on our sea-journey. We seek the Hulk of Ores.

: Uh, that way, I guess.

Gfy

: The wagon continues rolling gently across the waves, which seems to you a welcome change of pace, after having come from Flagging Hands not very long ago.

: You think? It seems to me like you’ve gone from one hell to the next ever since you left the Downside Prairie. After that, it was a dry, arid desert; then a graveyard that sucked the morale right out of you; and now this. But then, I suppose, the Sea of Solis does have to compete with Flagging Hands specifically, so….

: When she notices Rukey, she stops him for some questioning.

: Greentail. How is he doing.

: Who, Hedwyn? Oh, he’s pretty much the same. Been up all night, retching into the waters if I had to guess. His first time out at sea?

: His first.

: She turns to you.

: Reader. Please check on Hedwyn when you have the opportunity. He requires our support, and we require his swift recovery.

: You wish them a good afternoon as you go check up on the others in the group.

: Oh… hello, my friend, it’s just… the sea hasn’t been good for me, I guess. It’s funny… all this trouble… just to get back to the Commonwealth, of all places.

: Hey… tell me something… what do you miss, the most, about that place?

: An interesting question. Since we are the Reader, this is really just an opportunity to flesh out our character a little bit. We know that we were banished for the crime of being literate, and that while the Downside isn’t a comforting or accommodating place, the Commonwealth isn’t exactly peaches and cream itself.

: I suppose missing our book collection would be a pretty hefty loss, seeing as we were willing to risk safety and security for it. That said, it’s probably all been burnt by now.

: I don’t know about us having friends in the Commonwealth… if owning a book is enough to send a person here, then drat, I’d hate to know what the punishment is for grabbing a beer with the boys. Also, I don’t want it to seem like we’re suggesting to Hedwyn that I don’t consider the group we have to be friends.

: That leaves… the food? I mean, the last thing that we came across that might be edible was called a Noxshroom. Would you want to eat something called a Noxshroom? Surely the Commonwealth has something better than that?

: The food! That’s a surprise. I… always thought the food was terrible.

: Hah, I hope you’re not offended…! You just… I think maybe you haven’t tried real food. One day, if we luck out, and find ourselves decent enough ingredients… I’ll cook something for you, OK?

: Anyway, I… I’ll be fine, I think. Thank you for checking up on me.

: You sense he wishes to be alone. There is not much to be done for him for now.

: Well. Rather than a nerf to any of our stats, we’ve lost an entire player to a little bout of seasickness.

: Our next Rite at the Hulk of Ores is just a stone’s throw away! Now that we’ve established that one of our players cannot participate, I suppose now is as good a time as any to determine who will be on our roster for the coming game.

: Who do we bring into the next Rite? Excluding Hedwyn, our options are Rukey, Jodariel, Mae, or Ti’zo. Five votes gets them onto the team, and remember, the order you vote for them counts!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Let's go with Team Wild. Mae on point with Rukey on assist and Ti'zo on defense.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Ti'zo on point, Mae and Jodariel on defense. It worked last time! (Uh, except for the 'Ti'zo on point' part.)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Gonna have to go with Ti'zo, Rukey, and Jodariel.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Rukey, Mae, Jodariel.

Do the other dialogue options for the talk with Hedwyn have less disastrous results than not being able to use him for the next match?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

placid saviour posted:

Rukey, Mae, Jodariel.

Do the other dialogue options for the talk with Hedwyn have less disastrous results than not being able to use him for the next match?

They're purely flavour; Hedwyn was going to get seasick and become unable to compete no matter how we responded.

• Locked thread