Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

yeah I eat rear end posted:

jack daniels is such a lovely choice at that price point. Give me jim beam or even evan williams over that stuff any day, tastes better and saves me money.

Yeah has JD always been this expensive? I can get 2 handles of Evan for the price of one JD it feels like right now.

I got to spend Xmas day at a mixology demonstration, and ended up having half of the demonstration drinks passed down to me after everyone had their sips, because nobody liked real drinks that consisted of 90% spirits. A good Xmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SketchyNick
Oct 15, 2005
Old fashioned is a great standby. New York sours are good if made right.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah has JD always been this expensive? I can get 2 handles of Evan for the price of one JD it feels like right now.

I got to spend Xmas day at a mixology demonstration, and ended up having half of the demonstration drinks passed down to me after everyone had their sips, because nobody liked real drinks that consisted of 90% spirits. A good Xmas.

It has been ever since I was of drinking age. It's like the go-to liquor for people who never drink and think it's "fancy"/cool, similar to patron for tequila. You are only paying for the name and a mediocre product.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Blood

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I liked on Bar Rescue how they would constantly repeat how Smirnoff is a premium spirit and is a vodka to be treated with the utmost respect

arenthor
Dec 4, 2016
Dark/spiced rum based old fashioned

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

I liked on Bar Rescue how they would constantly repeat how Smirnoff is a premium spirit and is a vodka to be treated with the utmost respect

I like how every vodka commercial uses phrases like "crystal clear" as if to say that other vodkas are murky with bits of cheese floating in them

What vermouth to use in a manhattan, OP?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Knows what’s up

post-apocalyptic erotica
Jan 28, 2013

Came to say this. Manhattans and Martinis are cool bc you're cutting liquor with liquor, but Negronis cut liquor with liquor, then cut the liquor/liquor mix with more liquor.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Knows what’s up

negroni is such a typical goon answer. I've never seen someone in real life order one of those things.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

arenthor posted:

Dark/spiced rum based old fashioned
Gonna have to try this thx

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
As a tequila drinker.... something called a Diablo. Tequila, some other tangy poo poo, idk

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

negroni is such a typical goon answer. I've never seen someone in real life order one of those things.

To be fair you have to have a very sophisticated palate to understand the Negroni. The flavor is extremely subtle and without a solid grasp of theoretical mixology most Negronis will go straight over the typical drinkers tongue. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of flavors to realize they’re not just bitter- they say something deep about LIFE.

And yes, by the way, I DO have a Negroni tattoo. No, you can’t see it.

Nothing personnel, kid :frogc00l:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is this because you spend your time drinking PISS FROM A TOILET

negronis are good and i see 'em a lot

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Discovered caipirinhas after watching Anthony Bourdain in Brazil. Tracked down a bottle of cachaca just to try it.

Only time I've ever seen one on a menu was on vacation in Paris. drat good alternative.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

is this because you spend your time drinking PISS FROM A TOILET

negronis are good and i see 'em a lot

It's just one of those drinks that gets you some looks at a bar and it happens to be mostly internet people who know about them. It's why if I ever order a rusty nail I do it quietly out of shame in case people think i'm trying to be trendy or whatever.

also as a side note if you order something and the bartender has to look up what it is, just order beer or liquor+mixer there.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

mojo1701a posted:

Discovered caipirinhas after watching Anthony Bourdain in Brazil. Tracked down a bottle of cachaca just to try it.

Only time I've ever seen one on a menu was on vacation in Paris. drat good alternative.

Let me tell you the Brazilian method of making one:

Get a bucket
Dump a smaller bucket of cut up limes
Dump half a bag of sugar
Mash it up
Throw ice in the bucket
Pour the bottle in
Stir and serve

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

It's just one of those drinks that gets you some looks at a bar and it happens to be mostly internet people who know about them. It's why if I ever order a rusty nail I do it quietly out of shame in case people think i'm trying to be trendy or whatever.

also as a side note if you order something and the bartender has to look up what it is, just order beer or liquor+mixer there.

I just feel weird saying negroni. Hasn't stopped me.

Also the rusty nail is great because it is hard to really gently caress up

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

We were eating at the bar in a Longhorn Steakhouse once and the guy sitting next to us ordered a dry martini. When he ordered he clearly stated his gin preference and asked for two olives. The bartender still had to look it up and then proceeded to make him a vodka martini that was like half vermouth. No olive.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Testikles posted:

Also the rusty nail is great because it is hard to really gently caress up

I made the mistake of ordering one when I worked in los alamos which at the time only had one western-style bar and I definitely outed myself as an outsider when I asked if they had drambuie. That's why I only order it at fancy places now.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

This was my grandpa's go to drink for decades, we celebrated with a few rounds of them at his funeral, can confirm that it is pro tier drinking

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The worst cocktail? Anything by Mahalodotcom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZbzB7pbVT0

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Evan Williams straight out of the bottle.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Woodford Reserve rye is really good. I’ve been trying it in anything I used to make with bourbon and it’s been a nice change of pace.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Pro tip: topping your drink off with champagne or replacing the soda with champagne makes it a "royale".

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

I made the mistake of ordering one when I worked in los alamos which at the time only had one western-style bar and I definitely outed myself as an outsider when I asked if they had drambuie. That's why I only order it at fancy places now.

I did it a 'fancier' restaurant and stumped the server. The bar ended up not having drambuie. A tragedy.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
anything that doesn't have gin in it

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
manhattans are good

i like the last word too

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

super sweet best pal posted:

The worst cocktail? Anything by Mahalodotcom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZbzB7pbVT0

You aren't kidding. How you manage to do a rum and coke recipe this badly I have no idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHYDjO1DgGA

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

True that, unless there has been a revival of them, I heard of it but I don't think I made one in a decade of bartending.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i, on the other hand, live in civilisation

different places have different drinks

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Spinster posted:

True that, unless there has been a revival of them, I heard of it but I don't think I made one in a decade of bartending.

In Toronto they are trending. Places that are the functional equivalent of Applebee's offer them.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

My favorite cocktail is a La Louisiane. It's insanely good, OP.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Testikles posted:

Pro tip: topping your drink off with champagne or replacing the soda with champagne makes it a "royale".

That same Parisian vacation had me drink a lot of mojitos. I once saw and tried a "mojito royale" that was exactly that: mojito with champagne instead of soda water.

Big mistake.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Super Grocery Kart posted:

We were eating at the bar in a Longhorn Steakhouse once and the guy sitting next to us ordered a dry martini. When he ordered he clearly stated his gin preference and asked for two olives. The bartender still had to look it up and then proceeded to make him a vodka martini that was like half vermouth. No olive.

:stare:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

mind the walrus posted:

Look in 100 years the world will have recognized how crazy awful sugar is and weaned most of society away from it. Until then you're the weirdo with broken taste buds.

Yeah ok Judge Dredd

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I had one with the house banana-infused whiskey and it was
:discourse:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Pineapple juice
Malibu
splash of peach schnapps

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i, on the other hand, live in civilisation

different places have different drinks

Out in the sticks where we poors live we have spelling bees for entertainment because they're free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Waltzing Along posted:

Pineapple juice
Malibu
splash of peach schnapps

Too sweet! Add vodka, midori, take out peach schnapps
I'll be sorry in morning though

• Locked thread