Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Is there really no thread for the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel? Just watched it and found it out its the best show that came out last year, and I need to be immersed in some convo about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cheers! Amazon has been killing it lately.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

I didn't see it but this is one of those things where there's a major gulf between audience and critical reaction and it occurred to me there's been a few things lately like that. The Orville, Star Trek Discovery and the new Star Wars all had wildly different reactions between the two groups.

Fake views

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

So I was just watching some random Star Wars universe videos on Youtube and I got a serious itch to explore the tv universe.

I was never a prequel/Anakin fan, so I was initially thinking of skipping The Clone Wars, but after reading some "best episodes" lists it seems like the show didn't always follow Anakin and Obi-Wan around all the time but rather had episodes where they would focus almost solely on new/minor characters or villains.

I've always thought a live action anthology show set in the Star Wars universe (kind of like a live action tv version of the old Star Wars Tales from books. ) that just brings in the greatest working writers and allows them to write single episodes and a maybe some multi-episode arcs within the Star Wars universe would be just awesome. So I'd be open to hearing about those types of episodes from The Clone Wars series.

I'm very interested in checking out Rebels and wanted to hear some thoughts on how that show turned out now that it only has a few episodes left before it ends. I'm curious what kind of show it was general? Episodic or serial drama? I'm really more of serial drama fan. Also like to hear about which episodes/arcs are essential, and which are skipable, etc.

EDIT: To add in Star Wars anthology style episode interests

Probs too late but check out Tartavosky's Clone Wars, they're vignettes making up an episode that's some grade A Star Warrin'.

e:

GreenNight posted:

You're right. What is Dr Phil up to?

getting his alcoholic guests drunk naturally

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 9, 2018

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Caught the first 2 episodes of LA to Las Vegas and so far enjoying it. Dylan McDermott plays a great captain and I have always enjoyed his past shows especially Dark blue.

And Peter Stormare is great in this.

Yeah McDermott is such a straight man in this he's gone all the way to being psychotic. There's no barometer to how much he commits to the stupidest jokes here.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Superrodan posted:

I feel like Portia has been getting a ton of really great lines recently. It's like another Jenna Maroney, except if Jenna was as successful as she thought she was.

"Katie, you owe it to yourself and women everywhere to make him pay for what he did. But just remember, if you kill him, he can't live on to tell your story"

Sounds like her character from Better Off Ted.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

CK’s apology was...I mean Lycus is right that it’s probably the best of anyone’s before Harmon, especially because he flat-out admitted it rather than try and skirt around it, but there was too much self-aggrandising with regards to how these women thought of him etc.

Eh he and his manager has been trying to suppress the stories for years, it took journalists publishing the dets and people coming forward publicly for him to sort of cop to it. He's gross.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nate fisher posted:

At first I read this as Snow Crash, and I got excited. Still I think Jennifer Connelly is great. Also am I the only one that sometimes flashes back to that horrific scene in Requiem for a Dream when you hear her name?

quote:

Do you see a salary ceiling for these movie stars flocking to TV?

The world is upside down in terms of features and TV. The budget parameter will probably expand and then contract to a reasonable place. We have not yet made our big-swing, big-budget sci-fi show, but we're working on Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash for Amazon. Joe Cornish (Ant-Man) is directing, and it'll be twice as big as anything we've created.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/paramount-tv-head-alienist-george-clooneys-catch-22-future-13-reasons-why-1073192

already posted this in CinEd, interview with paramounts head.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

whooooo boy

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah I wouldnt be rushing in to defend Ansari esp since this feels like the calm before the tide rushes back in. The account made it seem like he's def a predator.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

On that note:

https://twitter.com/RaySiegel/status/952399300687953921

A few people have noted that it's likely not the first story that's going to come out about Aziz either.

Welp.

So I've been sans Netflix for most of 2017. Caught up with Death Note and Dear White People which I found to be both delightful. What else did I miss in the legendarily bad year of 2017 on the plaform?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I wonder how long Netflix will keep this show up on their service.

Yeah feel vaguely gross about watching S2, esp since S1 was only okay (huh, let's not examine that.....)

But glow sounds cool, gonna hit that up. Keep them coming, also any movies would be aces.

edit: ^^^ Thx! Seen a few of them, but excited to dive in on the others.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

The first season was good but the second was indeed awful and the show is probably better off being done.

never got around to the second season. It was that bad? The first was so good.

Chad man.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

I have no idea what is going on with this letter, but she sounds like a goddamn loon.

Why is she so furious?

Also, thanks thread. I didn’t realize ACS was back. Is it mostly centered on Andrew Cunnanan leading up to his killing spree and murder of Versace?

Some news host went after a woman recounting an awful sexual experience that can be seen as sexual assault for complaing about it, the 22 year old here is the woman who reported the story.

The reporter went overboard with her response, but I agree with her whole heartedly. That takedown by the host was deplorable.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

esperterra posted:

Yep, failed attempt at making a new series. It's bad but not so bad it's good so I can't recommend it, unless you really want some Eliza Dushku in your life. And even then ...

lol the main actor (Simon Templar?) is the tenth billed name on imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2569088/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Croatoan posted:

Y’all were supposed to tell me that Dear White People is really good.

Been raving about it my man.

edit: it and Fleabag are the most underrated shows people in here don't talk about enough. Maisel was too until it got the Globe.

E:

Vegetable posted:

Is the TV show anywhere near as good as the movie

e: Referring to Dear White People

I think it's better. The characters are more fleshed in, more realistic, less like stereotypes. And it goes into some real dark deep places the movie didn't have the time to.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rarity posted:

Agents of Shield is TVIV's #10 show of 2017

lol

edit: good shows with smaller arcs might include Angel (Buffy to a much lesser extent), Red Riding, Alias (aka cliffhanger city), and some of the better Law and Orders, and Farscape.

edit 2: American Horror Story Season 2 is a goddamn classic

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 23, 2018

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, its a basic pattern that hold some truth but seems to say more about the viewer's tastes than the show's flaws. 90% of network shows follow a basic pattern of S1 growing pains and learning what works and what doesn't, S2 really leaning in on what works and what they learned from S1, and in S3 they're settled in and have a bit of a formula. Some viewers obviously hate this and prefer shows that blow everything up every season or drive make plots that change everything each season. So they just get tired with a show that isn't interested in doing that, but just wants to perfect its formula.

"Formulaic" shouldn't be a bad word. It isn't for everyone but there's plenty of people who love shows or movies specifically because they're formulaic. No one goes into a Fast and Furious movie to see what amazing macguffin is written for the plot. They just want to see the formula they enjoy done well.

I know Supernatural is a formulaic show that is doing the same poo poo its been doing for a decade. I know its meta plots are often flimsy and result in wiping the slate clean. I watch because I like that forumula and have for over a decade. I like being able to watch that show once a week.

Disagree with this. Not you enjoying formulas, but the idea that audience disinterest occurs because of them, and the idea of the third season being its defining height.

Supernatual had five seasons of escalating greatness, from its plotting to its themes, to its acting, down to the individual scripts of every episode.

Simpsons had 8 great seasons of the same, Seinfeld, Breaking Bad, ER, Angel, etc. The way you phrased is denies what goes into making this stuff, the creatives and crew and actors working hard at crafting something new.

The reason Supernatural has suffered outside of the odd episode here and there is because the average episode is of a much lower quality than the average episode from S1-S5. I've tried to latch onto the show numerous times since then and I'm inevitably put off since instead of being an interesting episode focusing on one specific threat or enemy, its just the latest iteration of a nonsense soap opera where the brothers have to save each other again. It's lazy writing, and if it's something you like fair enough, but it's definitely not something that was fated to happen and better creatives behind the scenes could change it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's not anime, but I really enjoy reading Vinland Saga, which is surprisingly (AFAIK) historically accurate.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Lance Reddick has always been really funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaWa4ScfQXc

most def: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU-2C8Ec6co

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm loving doing it, Spectrum is trying to convince to pay 200+ for my fast internet and cable, gently caress these people. And my apt doesn't connect to any other cable company so they really don't give a poo poo.

Cutting the cord next month, just sticking with the 64 dollar basic internet b/c I literally have no other options AFAIK (Fios MIGHT be coming here in 6-12 mths according to them).

What do people do other than have Netflix/hulu/amazon etc, to get basic cable options. I have a hazy memory of some sort of digital antenna thing you can buy to get the basic channels? Idk.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's like she's practicing her Robin Wright impression.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Finally got around to watching Mr. Robot S2 this weekend, I can see why this show lost a lot of heat and fans (that's my impression anyway) over this span. It's less focused, the same meta tricks and dramatic twists lost their luster after the S1, and there was a lot of time spent on periphery characters plots.

I still think it's an immensely good looking and well constructed thing, with its own unique viewpoint on the world and the like. But I think I enjoyed it a lot more binging it than I would have watching it week to week. Though the ramp up in jarring violence made some good TV (even though sometimes I thought it was a crutch, what can we do in this scene? Throw in a gun I guess).

And the less I have to hear someone say the words "DARK ARMY" the better, talk about your crutches. Feels vaguely yellow peril to me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

brylcreem posted:

I know I'm behind on this, but Brooklyn Nine-nine just came to Danish Netflix and I like it.

The only thing I don't like is the constant will they/won't they with Jake and Amy. I just finished 2x21 and that double hair thing at the end just pissed me right off.

Anyway, while I looked for the episode number on Wikia (lol) I got spoiled on their relationship status right now, so let me let out a big old Meh.

Okay, bye!

It's a show I get bored of after watching a couple in a row, but think would prob be good in syndication, seeing the random episode here and there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snoop alone is one of the most fascinating people you never see properly reflected in film or tv.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

McSpanky posted:

The only thing worse than actually living through the 90s is everyone gushing about 90s nostalgia now. Everything did suck, call me back when we're all fondly remembering where we were on 9/11 again.

It is our space launch.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chevy Chase gotta Chevy Chase

quote:

Chevy Chase was living out a scenario right out of a National Lampoon flick.

The actor claims he was attacked in a road rage incident while traveling over the Tappan Zee Bridge in New York earlier this month when a passenger kicked him so hard he fell to the ground, TMZ reported.

Chase, 74, told police that a black pick-up truck cut him off on Feb. 9 and he thought the truck might have hit his car, so he flashed his lights until the driver pulled over.

He realized there was no damage, but still went up to the driver to “speak to him about his reckless driving,” according to the gossip site — and that’s when trouble started.

One of the passengers flipped off the actor and he fired back, reportedly saying, “If I were a lot younger I'd bust your nose.”

His threat led one of the passengers to get out of the car and kick him in the shoulder, causing him to hit the ground, according to police docs.

The driver claimed Chase threw a punch first and that the kicker was trying to block his fist with a foot, TMZ reports.

The person who kicked the actor was cited with second degree harassment, according to documents obtained by TMZ.

A witness also was involved in the report, noting he pulled over because he didn’t want to witness the older man, Chase, “get his a-- stomped.”

Chase was a key cast member in the first reason of “Saturday Night Live” and went on to star in films like the “National Lampoon” franchise, “Caddyshack,” “Fletch” and countless others.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

still lollin about Chevy Chase getting stomped on by the side of a highway

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BSam posted:

oh hey, unReal is back?

So is that a show a one season wonder?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Yes, god yes. Don't watch season 2.

a-ok.

So Spectrum is offering to cut my bill considerably for a plan that has me only choosing 10 cable channels. If you can choose 10 what would they be? My roommate already wants ESPN, AMC, and TNT.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's such a loving scam that spectrum app isn't on the playstation network. The only way I can ever check out Adult Swim is using my computer I guess since it sure as poo poo isn't on Cartoon Network Ondemand.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Real talk right here. Between this and Sneaky Pete and everything else I have to watch I am completely snowed under atm though. Spent a bit too much time recently gaming rather than watching shows.

So the show isn't painful? Couldn't get thru the first ep of the first season, I couldn't give a poo poo about these characters.

bull3964 posted:

Just get yourself a cheap Roku or Chromecast. Adult Swim app on mobile is Chromecast compatible now and there's a pretty darn good Roku app now.

alright i'll look into it. Hate that i have to buy more hardware tho.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Croatoan posted:

Jesus I turn 40 in a couple of weeks am I one of the old folks now?

FYI I must have been cranky when I first watched S02E01 of Travelers because I'm on episode 5 and holy poo poo it's as good if not better than season 1.

AP Bio is great and I don't know what some of y'all were saying about a rocky start I loved it from episode 1.

My fav underappreciated sitcom (and happens to also be IASIP related) is The Mick, which is prob the best comedy I've seen in the last couple of years.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol I saw that Jabba the Hut face topped with a sailor's hat and I couldn't press escape fast enough from that trailer.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Counterpart is pound for pound the smartest, most interesting, most exciting TV I've seen in years.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

People were ragging on it around episode 5 for being slow but holy poo poo has it been moving faster and faster. Ep 9 was insane.

You mean when our Howard was with their Emily?

That's my favorite poo poo! The interplay of personalities and how small decisions can completely change a person. It's a brilliant take on the other world scenario. By making the division between worlds happen only a few decades ago you have really meaty takes on change and moral decisions affecting a person's life.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Altered Carbon is such a mixed bag. Halo from BSG was loving delightful and apparently he doesn't make it past the first ep (still on the first ep). The main guy is also a good actor, but the female lead is pretty much the worst actor for a wide variety of reasons I've ever seen in any mainstream TV production.

Please let me like you Altered Carbon.

e: It's such a determinedly weird show, you can't help but appreciate it. They've gotta do a better job of valuing the acting though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

Pro Tip, don't focus on plot holes or bad writing. It's your window to depression. It's a solid show.

The plot hole stuff is why I'm staying away from the show 's thread bc I can just imagine the audience a show like this would attract fixating on some nonessential poo poo.

Altered Carbon is delightful. Over the top violence and mayhem and imagination that really channels the dime store pulpy sci books I used to read in the 90s.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 27, 2018

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Kevin Smith hates him and that makes me like Olyphant even more.

Yeah he's great https://youtu.be/OFEHp9aNeqk

Kevin Smith comes off as the worst most pedantic person in his ep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

OTOH I'm digging the flashing sword and gun headshots.