Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MiddleOne posted:

Why would anyone do this :psyduck:

It's been removed. So... what was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Kiernan Shipka is Sabrina in the Riverdale spin-off.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

HorseRenoir posted:

A live-action adaptation of American Gods is straight-up unworkable.

Nah. It's easily filmable and it's filmable on the shows first season budget.

Bryan Fuller, it's time to admit, is just not a good show runner.

A creative genius, yes, but that's not what a show runner is.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Clone Wars doesn't dumb down for kids. Rebels absolutely does.

True, but Rebels has, personally, higher highs than Clone Wars. I actually think that the conclusion to a long standing adversarial relationship in that show is my favourite Star Wars moment ever.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Imagine how long it took to compile all the clips together though

The girl did an AMA about her popularity and the show itself advertises her as a break out star. It's odd but... meh. I've seen odder online.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DivisionPost posted:

The End of the F***ing World: WOW.

I do not get the love for this show. When it was being made I had a few friends who worked on it and they were under the impression it would turn out to be a twee, maudlin load of bollocks. Maybe it's a cultural thing but we're so sick and tired of teenagers being made edgy and dark over here.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Nah it's just a good show dude. The two leads are very well-drawn.

Channel 4 is very bad at advertising so I think it did very badly over here as people assumed it was Skins but with a killer. That's why I've not given it the time of day.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Breaking Bad has like 4 funny scenes in the whole series

Really? I think the entire thing is laced with black comedy. It's at times stronger as a comedy than as a drama, but rarely.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

IRQ posted:

That's a shame. If all this poo poo is true he really went to great lengths to cultivate an image of a good guy. Like to a weirdly large degree.

It's probably true and his image is his brand. It's not really weird for a celebrity to cultivate a brand even if it bares no resemblance to themselves.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

So... are you all actually surprised by this news?

I liked him and Master of None is great but as soon as I saw the accusations I just thought "yeah, of course."

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't know about my greatest of all time, but I'm a sitcom nerd, so my top five are all sitcoms. Descending order:

30 Rock
Parks and Recreation
Arrested Development
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Community

Good Place is getting up there, though, this season has been insanely strong. Others I liked a lot in no order: Apartment 23, Venture Bros., Bob's Burgers, Great News, Difficult People, Fresh Off the Boat, Bojack Horseman(?)

So your a sitcom nerd who only likes shows from the last decade or less?

All of your top five is recent and two if them are still on going.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Finished End of the loving World and... It's alright. It's pretty similar to most other dreary British dramas that overload with shock and teen swearing.

The ending is laughably terrible too.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I don't think any of the new actors look old enough to make the recast worthwhile except Coleman.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Now Matt Smith is free to be Mister Fantastic in the Marvel Fantastic Four films.

With Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Doom.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I'm not sure what the unfortunately means here. What more would you like to see happen to him? How much more discussion is there to be had about this incident? Ignoring the larger discussions about attitudes toward sex.

He was publically shamed. His brand was damaged.

But he didn't commit a crime. So... what?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Just watched Letterman and Obama. It's okay. He's as great a speaker as ever but he's words ring kind of hollow when you look at his record. I didn't expect Letterman to ask him anything too interesting but it's a shame Obama doesn't seem self critical at all.

He also says some real moderate nonsense at times that comes across as someone still more concerned with political appearances than the reality we now live in.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

precision posted:

The opposite happens sometimes too. Season 4 of Rectify was easily the worst of the series, in fact was arguably "kinda bad", but a couple people insisted it was great and I'm just like... you know how much I love that show? And even I was down on the last season?

I've not watched the last season yet because season three left me kind of cold on it all... what was so bad about it, avoiding spoilers if possible?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Isn't the whole thing with that show is that they switch casts after two seasons? Hence Matt Smith leaving too

Bettany would've been his replacement.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 26, 2018

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Toy leaks have confirmed that the Kessel is the big tentacle monster. It's a one of a kind species that became a flying challenge over the years. The Empire is harvesting it for something valuable and Han and team get together to steal from the Empire. Han ends up freeing the Kessel at the end because he's a good guy after all.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Of course the alternative reason that not many people are discussing Altered Carbon is that it's not very good.

In fact, it's basically a boring slog of a program that is visually expensive but ultimately doesn't look very new or fresh at all.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Sinteres posted:

"You know what would make this mysterious old badass a million times better? Waiting until he's even older and stripping away every bit of mystery."

Better Call Saul is in the odd position of being so much better than Breaking Bad whenever Jimmy is on screen that it's amazing they come from the same production team and so much worse than Breaking Bad whenever Mike and the cameo gang roll up that it's amazing they come from... Well, you get the idea.

Nacho is cool though but that's because his actor basically ejaculates charisma from every pore.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

bull3964 posted:

It's also an extremely low effort show. I doubt they spend more than 5 minutes per line.

Hell even the sound on the show is cheap. You can hear the audio compression on it.

Haha. Thank God. I thought it was just me being really picky.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

How is Victoria with Jenna Coleman? I see it on PBS when scrolling through channels but it always comes at a time when I am trying to watch another show.

Terrible.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

The continuing Donna-Dorable thing is amazing though

The main thing I learned this week is that Craig from Parks and Rec got HOT!

Holy poo poo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

Apparently at some con the guy who plays Shadow in American Gods says that in Season 2 Lakeview and Hinzelman are showing up That feels a little early right?

They will be speeding up the show with the new guy in charge so as not to loose it's audience to boredom.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

precision posted:

Then they burned the million quid they made off that single

I loving love the KLF. Best (and, possibly, only?) Discordian band ever.

Nah this is the exact opposite of good.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Timby posted:

Wasn't that largely because of football, This is Us and The Voice, though? (And I guess the Chicago shows all getting reliable numbers.)

I'm not sure that their success being largely because if several wildly popular programmes isn't an accurate measure of "doing just fine" like you seem to think.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

precision posted:

Every time I'm reminded that Segel is kind of a douche I have to rewatch the clip of him from Superbad and then I'm like oh okay, yeah I can see it

It's less that he's kind of a douche and more that he's a genuinely horrible person whose been slowly but surely pushed from the industry for being unpleasant to spend any amount of time around.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Turns out Robin Williams was a giant pervert too. There's a new biography coming out and during the production of Mork and Mindy he would grope, grab, hump and expose himself to any woman he could. Backed up by multiple sources.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

She kind of was but then it also seemed like they were setting her up for her own side plots which had something to do with the Biblical apocalypse but she's just gone all of a sudden.

There's a load of subplots that just get dropped in Fringe with no conclusion at all. Subplots and characters.

At the time apparently the two executive producers had different ideas for bits of the show and that's some of the fallout.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Jeff Bezos wipes his rear end with a billion dollars.

If he continues to earn money at his current rate he will be the world's first trillionaire within a decade.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

I believe they've said May. They've started airing commercials showing that there is another alien race at war with the Rap.

Oh right. It's Falling Skies then.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I don't get it. America is at open war with itself. Donald Trump is literally bringing in laws and creating divisions that are killing people and everyone just accepts a right wing supporter of his on TV because it opens a "dialogue." gently caress that. You all should be in open, violent rebellion to take back your country.

That said I feel the same way about the UK too and were just collectively sleep walking towards an economic and cultural armageddon.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

What happened to Lowtax?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

zoux posted:

It's like someone was like "I don't think Scientology is malicious enough"

Is it though? Because that just reads like consensual kink.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

lelandjs posted:

So the Avatar: The Last Airbender Blu-Rays are our today at Best Buy (June 6th for all the other retailers). Now, I don’t have the greatest A.V. setup ever—a $60 Samsung Blu-Ray Player plugged into a $300 Insignia TV—but this is easily the best ATLA has ever looked. It’s an upscale, but a really good one, with none of the deinterlacing or haloing issues that plagued the previously available SD versions (DVD and streaming). I didn’t buy the iTunes HD versions, so I don’t know how they compare, but if you’re a fan dropping $40 for the Blu-Rays is a no-brainer.

These won't be region free, right?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

If you based every decision in your life on wether or somehow benefited a horrible person or enforce horrible conditions for someone else you wouldn't be able to live.

If you wear brand clothes your helping horrible labour conditions.

If you buy Nestle your supporting the removal of people's water.

Drive? Killing the environment.

You get the idea. It's silly to ignore all of that but feel like the people in your entertainment are were a you draw the line.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Penny Dreadful has such a terrible title sequence. It's like a high schooler made it.

Speaking of title sequences; What is up with Netflix shows that have title sequences but skip them?

For example Lost in Space has a title sequence but only on some episodes. On others it's just the quicker title card.

What's the reasoning there? It's totally counter intuitive to Netflix platforms strengths.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I have a feeling he won't be the propmaster if the show is renewed

I don't think any of the things he's posted would be frowned upon given the circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Netflix renewed Lost in Space.

YAY! I actually really loved this show.