Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

I've watched every episode. There are some similarities but I didn't think any of them were rehashes.

Like specifically with White Christmas and Callister - they both share a basic similar concept but the actual story that concept is used to tell is wildly different. Callister worked better for me than White Christmas did so yes I'm glad they did something else with that idea.

I mean Callister was more an almost direct adaptation of I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream, only with Aatrek instead of a super computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The chess game metaphor is exactly the kind of thing someone who's smart, but uneducated would come up with. It totally fits the character.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

So I just finished the Malevolence Arc from The Clone Wars and I'm pretty surprised at how good it and the show in general is. It's more mature then I expected, and from what I've read it only get's more so in later seasons so that's cool.

Honestly if you liked Clone Wars you'll most likely like Rebels. It's made by the same people, albeit the animation quality is not as high, and much like Clone Wars it has a bunch of bad/so-so episodes but the also some pretty high highs.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Clone Wars doesn't dumb down for kids. Rebels absolutely does.

What? It has plenty of decapitations and murders and poo poo. Just this past season it had the empire using a weapon that disintegrated a bunch of people.

If you're talking about actual storytelling then I dunno. Rebels is one of the few official Star Wars things to like even touch on the fact that the force isn't just good/evil.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 8, 2018

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dirk Gently worth checking out even though it got canned? Did it wrap up nicely?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

I agree that Skins seasons 1-2 are good, but man it got so bad later on

This is completely unrelated to anything but man why do people always bring up that scene in The Wire where they just say "gently caress" or variations thereof as one of the best TV scenes of all time? It's....not good. Especially when you consider how many other great Wire clips there are.

It's a very funny, memorable scene :ms:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

With Harvey Weinstein it's one thing. But Aziz is like 80 pounds and shops in the boys clothing section. He's an rear end in a top hat but I don't really see it in the same ballpark as Weinstein or Kevin Spacey.

It's not but he's still playing ball.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm trying to remember what I think is a series... but may be a movie... or a videogame?

It's sci fi, with ships that jump, and said jumps are controlled by... a woman? who's in a pod a la Minority report; I remember her waking up suddenly and yelling "Jump!" and the ship jumping, but that's kind of all I have.

Did I just mix up a bunch of stuff and hallucinate it?

That's Battlestar Galactica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVk1DjMtLWs

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Good thing the job of a critic is to evaluate a work and not its mass appeal.

I think a good movie exists inside of Bright, but the one we got is not that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well Ragnar does get an Asian wife in one of the seasons. That was about where I peaced out.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Timby posted:

Paul Bettany has walked from season 3 of The Crown (which has yet to be officially approved), citing "scheduling difficulties."

Isn't the whole thing with that show is that they switch casts after two seasons? Hence Matt Smith leaving too

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Grey posted:

Has anyone been watching Knightfall? I am four episodes in and finding it mediocre. I don't really like any of the characters and it doesn't feel as epic as the commercials make it out. I will keep watching if someone tells me it gets better though.

I didn't get very far and yeah it's just bogstandard knight poo poo with the most cliched plots and one-note characters. I have no idea why they pushed it so hard, there's NOTHING there, it feels like some fuckin lost SyFy production from 2004.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Altered Carbon is very genre-y and very good at being that in my opinion. Not surprising that it rubs some people the wrong way.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

baseball is the least sexy thing in the world

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is Frankenstein Chronicles any good? I think the premise sounds stupid, but I do like Sean Bean...

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Every Marvel season could stand to be a bit shorter for sure but I don't think it's as crushing a problem as people make it out to be.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

+1 for Counterpart being by far the best show this year. It’s got some slow parts but holy hell these last few episodes ramped things up in an incredibly severe way. This show deserves way more recognition than it’s getting

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wait there was a second X-Files revival season and the whole thing aired and loving ended already?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I know Roseanne herself is pro-Trump, but is the show itself? Or is it a "both sides" kinda thing

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jeff Bezos wipes his rear end with a billion dollars.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Anyone seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EHbt_kSkG8

It seems not very good and 100% TBS trying to ride the Rick & Morty wave but man the art is pretty nice.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Agreed. As someone who watches literally everything with subtitles that doesn't look very appealing. I've seen some shows do something like this before, but usually they just skew it a bit instead of placing it at the far edge of the screen.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wake me up when they get to Jayce & the Wheeled Warriors

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wandle Cax posted:

Why did they name it YouTube Red which seems like it would be easily confused with RedTube

You just answered your own question.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Croatoan posted:

So moral question. If we watch Arrested Development remix season 4 and season 5, are we complicit in giving Tambor a pass for the sexual allegations against him? I kinda feel like I would be.

No. Plenty of good shows have plenty of horrible people in them. Whether you find that off-putting enough to avoid watching it is up to you.

I just started It's Always Sunny a little while back and up pops the dad from 7th Heaven who is an actual pedophile so that's not great either.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Holden is like the definition of unlikeable and bland, every other character is good though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Siffy cancelled The Expanse. Season 3 is the last.

What the gently caress

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm happy B99 got saved but I would rather that show be erased from history than The Expanse remain cancelled, so loving get on that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Extremely surprised Legion has not been cancelled yet, BTW.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I loved season 1, but season 2 hasn't really been doing it for me until the latest episode. It's not that I want the show to be something it isn't, but it's venturing in a different direction from season 1 that I have not been super into.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Seeing as how critics are saying the new season is tired, stale, and just sort of bad across the board, I don't think we'll have to worry about that.

That’s certainly not universal

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/05/arrested-development-season-5-review

Edit: In fact, from a cursory google search, most of the reviews are positive

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 24, 2018

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

SO is the Expanse picked up by Amazon or what :colbert:

Maybe, maybe not, it's all negotiations at this point I'm assuming.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

clown shoes posted:

I wouldn't want to see Parks & Rec come back but I would like to see the character of Leslie Knope return. Put her in Congress or something.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Make Frasier but with Leslie Knope.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Americans has outstanding moments, but a lot of it is kind of meandering in-between. Mostly it has a really solid baseline. I wouldn't say it's overrated, because it's a pretty unassuming show and it doesn't really get talked about much unlike Westworld which is like the most manufactured PEAK TV show ever made.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I hadn't seen those before but I'm very glad I have an even better reason to despise David O. Russell.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

poo poo https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1005047895358365696

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

How do people talk about The Expanse as if it's top tier? The writing, acting and production values are a hair above corny tv movie standards. It's garbage. The pilot alone has so many cringe worthy performances it's hard to watch.

they probably like it more than you :ms:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Nice, that’s like, four new episodes to come instead of two! or whatever

Season 2 is supposed to be eight episodes so I expect 3 to be the same.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

esperterra posted:

Finally started Legion last night, and goddamn that's a good pilot.

And an even better series with a great second season and a finale that was one of the series' best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Again: it's been a week. Which is the amount of time I feel is appropriate before posting untagged spoilers.

And again, this has like, never ever been a problem before. I and so, so many others have posted untagged spoilers without anyone caring even the slightest bit. One person whines and suddenly everyone turns on the concept on what seems to be a whim. It genuinely feels like the entire thread is trying to gaslight me here

Do you seriously not have any idea of what a dumbass baby you sound like