Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The ending for Lost is total trash

FREE IRISH JOE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

HorseRenoir posted:

lmaoooo Crocodile might be the dumbest episode of Black Mirror yet and that's really saying something.

You know what will solve my killing problem? More killing!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Also new thread, new reminder to get your votes in for TVIV's Top 10 Poll for 2017. Only your votes can prevent Toxx from gloating when The Leftovers wins!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
And when you stop to think about it, you shouldn't get polar bears in tropical regions

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok peeps this is the last call for votes in this year's TVIV Top 10 Poll. There's a whole load of close contests in the overall top 10 so your vote really can make a difference!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MiddleOne posted:

Luckily it's nothing like Skins to which I say thank god as someone who didn't get off that tire-fire until the beginning of season 4.

Hey the first 2 seasons of Skins were fantastic television and season 3 wasn't great but the Emily/Naomi storyline is a huge UK cultural milestone.

Just don't talk about the bit where Freddie gets beaten to death with a baseball bat by the therapist treating his girlfriend while trying to hypnotise her into sexual submission.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
As is my normal practice I'm getting together Youtube clips for the TVIV Poll results and I just saw the final scene of Dirk Gently and devoid of all context what the gently caress did I just see :psypop:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

When you stop to think about it 2018 is going to be off the chain for television. We've got this, we've got that JK Simmons genre show, Westworld S2, American Crime Story S2, Jessica Jones S2, True Detective S3, Handmaids Tale S2 and Legion S2 and they all have the potential to be mind blowing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IRQ posted:

But you know what ISN'T coming out in 2018?

My Little Pony? :ohdear:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
People are the loving worst. Mad props to Dushku for coming forward with that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Spatula City posted:

So I hadn't bothered to watch any Black Mirror except San Junipero (heard romance and 80's pop figured heavily, must-watch), but recently I watched USS Callister and Hang the DJ. Preferred the former to the latter, but both were fun riffs on the same sort of idea, and more to the point, were less grim than the hype led me to believe about Black Mirror. Which other Black Mirror episodes aren't super-grim? I just ain't in the mood for really dark twists or characters put through the ringer. okay, USS Callister actually gets pretty horrifying, but it's buoyed by being a rip into the nice guy trope, with a bona fide happy ending, and a tremendous performance by Cristin Milioti (who really deserves her own show, she's got loads of charisma to spare).

Shut Up and Dance starts off grim but the ending pulls it together

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rocksicles posted:

gently caress Scientology is about to become gently caress Cults. Leah's going balls deep.

https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/leah-remini-returning-to-ae-to-investigate-other-cult-like-religions/

Well this is just excellent

e: Oh man she's doing an episode on Allison Mack's sex cult, that's gonna be depressing as hell :smith:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

People are the loving worst.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

e: realistically though it’s not like abuse-level, just another dude who’s a horny idiot and can’t understand basic signals

I feel like saying this is minimising the impact of his actions. No it's not an aggressive rape but it was non-consensual coercion that still had long-term traumatic impact on the victim. Writing it off as 'just a horny dummy' is implying that it's ok that he didn't establish full consent first or that he kept going after she'd made it clear she wasn't interested.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mu Zeta posted:

It looks pretty bad on Aziz's part but it's hard for me to believe that a 90 pound twig like him could physically force anyone to do anything. In the article she says he asked several times for a blowjob and she eventually did it. The gently caress? Why not tell him to go gently caress himself.

Sexual coercion is a thing. The power dynamic between the two of them was so weighted in Ansari's favour based on his age and his celebrity status that for her to reject him that strongly would require a huge amount of confidence and it's not fair to blame her for not having that. It's like when Terry Crews had his dick grabbed by a producer. You're also ignoring the fact that it doesn't matter that she didn't tell him to gently caress himself. She didn't say yes and that's what consent is. Saying that it's her fault for not rejecting him strongly is victim blaming and is the exact reason it's taken so long for the Me Too movement to happen.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Wandle Cax posted:

It's not victim blaming to say that a woman needs to know to say no very clearly or just leave the place entirely when she is uncomfortable. It's a sad state of affairs that woman should have that responsibility to protect themselves, and Aziz obviously acted like a massive creep in this situation. But it could have been avoided on her part and reducing talk like that to victim blaming is sending the wrong message. Men are creeps and women need to know that and be strong enough to resist that without falling into this victim mentality. I think there's also danger in conflating a more avoidable situation and more horrific abuse all into the "sexual assault" label which risks trivialising the more serious cases.

Yes and maybe she shouldn't have worn such a short skirt and she probably shouldn't have been drunk either.

What you've just said is literally victim blaming. It is not anyone's responsibility to not be assaulted. It's everyone's responsibility to not assault people.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah, I phrased that pretty poorly. I didn’t mean for that to come off like it lessens what happened in any way for me. Just that I don’t see it as “abuse” in the sense it’s been spoken of recently. Doesn’t mean it isn’t hosed-up and creepy that a 34 year old man who professes to understand so much could be so pushy, and so wilfully ignorant (or blind, if you wanna wish for the best, but come on) to signals. The “doesn’t seem like you hate me” line is the one thing that makes me question this but without knowing the context in which he was said it’s entirely possible he was trying to be self-deprecating.

I figured that was where you were coming from, I just felt the language you used wasn't great. And that's the real problem right now with having this conversation. Words like abuse and assault are big red flag words and as soon as they're said it raises everyone's tensions. We really need words that separate this kind of act from the violent and aggressive kind of sexual assault.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mu Zeta posted:

I said Aziz is the one that has to apologize. That said, does she bare absolutely no responsibility for her own actions regarding the blowjob? Overall it's good that people are speaking out and getting the story out there but there's room for nuance too. What power dynamic does he have over her. It's not like Harvey Weinstein promising someone a career for sleeping with him.

The thing is it's not like she didn't want to have sex with him, she just didn't want to have sex with him then. So he has the power of deciding whether a second date happens or not and that means she would feel like just being 'gently caress you, I'm out' takes that off the table. When you combine that with the age/status it makes it extra difficult to express boundaries. Obviously at some point in the interaction that switch gets flipped and she never wants to see him again but it's not like that would happen the instant he made his first advance because it's a slow erosion over time.

Wandle Cax posted:

I don't mean to say it's her fault, and obviously people have a responsibility not to assault people, and obviously Aziz is 100% in the wrong. But if a woman in a situation like this leaves or pushes back more firmly maybe clueless guys like Aziz might start to get a hint that what they are doing is wrong

Not every woman feels capable of having that strength in the moment and it's not her fault for feeling that way.

I just want to clarify my position that I've got nothing against either of you for what you're saying. I think it's emblematic of a wider societal issue that we're teaching boys and girls that certain behaviours are ok when they're really not which means we end up with otherwise decent people doing things that are harmful without realising and accepting other people doing things that are harmful.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

This is what it comes down to. It’s so, so easy to say “oh why didn’t you just leave” but in that situation it’s far far more complex than that.

The main argument I really hate is the whole “oh but they know some men are like this” thing. It feels like arguing we should focus more on training women to avoid men who do this poo poo than, you know, training men not to do this poo poo.

Yeah absolutely. There was a line someone used earlier which was 'Men are creeps' but that viewpoint reduces things down too much and basically takes away all forms of agency. Men don't have to be creeps, it's not like having a dick automatically takes away all your critical thinking. And we also need to acknowledge that women are capabale of sexual assault and rape and that's just as awful as when men do it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
For those of you aren't following the thread/don't care about results I'll be doing a live reveal of the Top 40 TVIV Shows of 2017 starting at 1pm EST. Come join the party!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Guy Mann posted:

All this just reinforces what a pain in the rear end straight relationships are.

This stuff happens in same-sex relationships too. Perhaps not as often but you shouldn't just shrug it off as an impossibility.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
TVIV's Show of 2017 is The Good Place :toot:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

Truly, this is the real Good Place.

Except Legion beat Twin Peaks so is it actually the Bad Place??

American Vandal came top 10 so it's The Best Place

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The World Is Not Enough is also really solid

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

lelandjs posted:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\It's got a killer theme song but Denise Richards cosplaying as Lara Croft, Nuclear Scientist, is so, so, so terrible. Easily one of the worst female leads.

I was 14 and she was super hot :negative:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IRQ posted:

I feel like having a good old fashioned slapfight.

Rarity, u up?

...I've been waiting for this day.

Person of Interest is hot garbage :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Iron Crowned posted:

I didn't care for it either.

Escobarbarian posted:

Person of Interest is a black mark on TVIV’s overall decent taste

Popelmon posted:

Same, but I also only watched 5 episodes, I think it's supposed to get better later on.

Edit: Van Helsing really is the show that The Walking Dead wants to be. Axel knows how to deal with other groups.

#StandWithRarity

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IRQ posted:

It had a few very good seasons but I gave up towards the end. But that show was awesome up until the lady cop died and whatshisface ad-libbed that he had been in love with her the entire time after which point it went way downhill but I will slap you to death if you say Bear isn't a good dog.

Oh, you want to talk about Bear?

He's the worst one of them all :ssh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I remember reviewing what was considered 'the best' episode of PoI for the short-lived Friday Night Review site and it was loving dire

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Who wears burgundy lipstick? It's not 2016 any more, granma! :smug:

Why the gently caress do you have to go and blow up every step you've made like that?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Iron Crowned posted:

Nope, because I'm not in the pocket of Big Dog

But are you in the pocket of The Big Dog?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Good Place keeps on getting better and better, goddam

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Josh Lyman posted:

Has the storm passed for Aziz Ansari? I feel like this thread was ready to crucify him a week ago.

No, he still sucks

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm not sure what the unfortunately means here. What more would you like to see happen to him? How much more discussion is there to be had about this incident? Ignoring the larger discussions about attitudes toward sex.

He was publically shamed. His brand was damaged.

But he didn't commit a crime. So... what?

I think the problem is that so far he hasn't made any attempts to revisit the event from the girl's perspective or to review his attitudes towards sex and consent which indicates he's just keep doing the same thing he did to her.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Iron Crowned posted:

I should have said I'd also like it to be a good show

Agents of Shield is TVIV's #10 show of 2017

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I can't wait for goons to start complaining about The Good Place S3 because they blew up the plot again and it's boring cause they did that last week why can't they just give these concepts a proper chance?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tell us who did this DP, they must be held accountable

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

lelandjs posted:

7.5 Reasons why if it gets a half season order

6.5 :eng101:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mu Zeta posted:

Who wants to see Tom Cruise break his ankle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNT-tPrz4OM

:stare: Tom Cruise is a crazy son of a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Civil Aviation Authority set up #MeToo because... they need good publicity? :psypop: