Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
lmaoooo Crocodile might be the dumbest episode of Black Mirror yet and that's really saying something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Metalhead is well executed and scary as gently caress, but I don't really think it works as an episode of Black Mirror. It's like they had a really simple idea they wanted to film but couldn't come up with an actual story to accompany it.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
:nms: this is a pretty great episode of black mirror :nms:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Finished American Vandal and I'm pretty surprised at how much mileage they get out of such a simple comedy sketch premise.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The X-Files was and still is good when they're doing standalone episodes. The myth arc stuff has largely always been confusing and bad, especially in the later seasons where it's obvious that Chris Carter didn't have any master plan. I don't think the new episodes are any better or worse than the rest of the series, the problem is that the seasons are shorter and Chris Carter is still adamant about including myth arc poo poo so there's less good standalone episodes overall.

The previous season had one really good episode that made it worth it, so I'll probably give the new one a shot when it's over.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
It sucks that American Gods is currently self-destructing, but I don't know what Bryan Fuller was expecting when he asked for a larger budget. The show was insanely expensive to make as-is and the current budget wasn't enough for him?

A live-action adaptation of American Gods is straight-up unworkable. They could have saved themselves a lot of trouble by just making it an animated series but American networks are deathly afraid of making animated dramas for some reason.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/THR/status/951245778034372608

RIP X-Files

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Just started watching The Good Place and I really regret sleeping on this show

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/TVbytheNumbers/status/951520611825864704

It's kind of insane to me that American Dad is on its 14th season without any serious drop in quality. The last show I can remember that was this consistent was King of the Hill.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
TNT greenlit the Snowpiercer pilot to series

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/951091401705578496

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
A few episodes into The Good Place S2 and holy poo poo. I wish I watched this show in time to put it on my year-end list

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/moryan/status/951905135910793216

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/952415971070828544

https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/952421522886426625

I liked Aziz and this really sucks. Regardless of whether you want to be a rules lawyer about whether that story constituted rape or not, Aziz came off as massively desperate and pathetic in a really gross way. It's doubly gross that he does this stuff while trying to maintain his "brand" as a woke male feminist. I wonder how many else woke male celebrities are going to pull a Louis CK.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

I wonder if Aziz was always like this or, as he became more famous and powerful, he latched onto PUA bullshit and turned into this monster.

Because that account with sticking his fingers in the girl’s mouth to then finger her sounds like textbook PU bullshit.

Based on twitter rumblings, it sounds like he's pretty much always been this way even before being famous.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

Unrelated but I read something interesting about Adult Swim's newest show, Hot Streets. Apparently the only reason it exists is because Justin Roiland went to bat for it with Mike Lazzo as they originally passed on the pilot. Roiland originally saw it when it was part of Channel 101, he fell in love with how weird it was and agreed to do a voice on it to help it get made.

I watched a couple episodes and it's pretty funny but the animation is Newgrounds-level cheap. I guess it makes sense that it was based on a Flash webtoon then

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
So apparently Sam Esmail and Mark Frost interviewed each other for a podcast, which is cool: http://www.talkhouse.com/sam-esmail-mr-robot-talks-mark-frost-twin-peaks-talkhouse-podcast-2/

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I've been really enjoying Black Lightning so far. It's definitely still a CW show but it's darker and stylistically different from the other DC shows they have running.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Season 3 was Rick & Morty's best season yet but there's definitely been a backlash growing. I wouldn't be surprised if the internet is completely over the show by the time Season 4 premieres.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Happy! just ended its season and that show kicks rear end nonstop. If you're looking for a good, fun action show definitely check it out.

Also just saw The Good Place finale. I liked it but it felt awkward as a season finale, like last week's episode was supposed to be the finale but it was running 5 minutes too long so they just stuck the last couple of scenes at the beginning of what would have otherwise been a season premiere.

btw Black Lightning is still really good, I'm glad that someone is making a superhero show that focuses more on the grounded, human aspects of being a hero instead of more pulp comic book stuff.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

The Good Place finale fell a little flat for me but I don't think going back an episode would have been any better. I just think its a case of they coming up with another way to blow the show's premise up and do something different next season but it just didn't hit as big as the first time and I'm not too excited by the new direction.

I'm still watching S3, because S2 was really great. But it just didn't end up in a place that has me excited.

Black Lightning is real good. Gotta go watch the Happy! finale. I enjoyed it but I don't think I'd describe it as a "good fun action show". I mean, it is but when the thread has been discussing shows like Banshee and Strike Back "good fun action show" kind of sounds like something different than what Happy! is. It ain't those. Its not much like anything I've watched. Its loving weird, but its a fun ride.

I didn't dislike the new direction they're taking for Good Place S3 but it feels too similar to how the first season ended. I kept waiting for a bigger twist to happen only to realize by the end that no twist was coming and that they were just setting up the premise for S3 in a really straightforward manner. But who knows how long they'll actually stick with that premise, the original sequel hook for S2 ended up only lasting a couple episodes before they moved onto something new.

Happy! is definitely weirder than most action shows but it has some of the most balls-out insane action sequences I've ever seen on TV, and I think anyone who enjoys Banshee or Strike Back will like it.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I'm starting to think that Bryan Fuller is not good at being a showrunner

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Bryan Fuller is really talented but he sounds like a pain in the rear end to work with. It's kind of a miracle Hannibal lasted as long as it did.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I've been watching Channel Zero and I'm really impressed with it so far. It's like an artsy "prestige TV" version of American Horror Story, and it does a good job of being creepy in really creative and smart ways instead of leaning on shock value or jump scares.

I just started Season 2 and this poo poo is :suspense:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Holy poo poo Channel Zero: No-End House is incredible. Best horror thing I've seen since Get Out

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Colbert lost a lot of his edge when he moved from Comedy Central to CBS. Part of it is that the CBS audience is older and more conservative but I think a big part of it is also that Colbert dropped the persona and is hosting as "himself", meaning he can't make a lot of the jokes he used to make on the Report and has to play a less interesting straightman character.

I think the thing that really made Colbert Report the best out of the comedy news shows was that he was playing a fictional character so the show didn't just devolve into him making zingers and going "whaaaa???" at the camera like Jon Stewart.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Jessica Jones was so bad I couldn't even finish the first season. There are interesting ideas and a good cast, but the writing is awful and it's horribly paced. JJ is one of those shows where they only had enough story for a short arc or a movie, so they have to keep artificially extending the story by having everyone act like idiots. JJ would have been much better if the Killgrave stuff were condensed to the second half of the season and they spent the first half letting you settle in with the cast instead of immediately going full bore with the "this is a serious show about rape for adults" thing

I'm not really surprised that there's been virtually no hype for S2, JJ was so singlemindedly focused on the Killgrave story that I'm not sure what a second season would even entail.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
ahahaha tonight's episode of Atlanta literally opens up with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q99NRupLBc

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Wait, when did Expanse get cancelled by Syfy?

Shouts to Jeff Bezos for using Amazon Prime Video as his pet project to adapt his favorite sci-fi/fantasy novels

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
It's a shame that no one is really talking about Colony this season because they've been firing on all cylinders, tonight's episode was brutal as gently caress.

Also seconding the love for Joe Pera Talks With You. It's one of those things where I rarely find it laugh-out-loud funny, but it's extremely comfy and wholesome in a way few shows are.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I've mostly enjoyed Westworld this season but I'm not really sure I like the direction they're setting things up to go in for Season 3.

So the rest of the show is essentially going to be Caprica? I'm kind of put off by how it looks like they're going all in on a really reductive, misanthropic take on human consciousness, where hosts are objectively superior to humans because they can change their minds about things but humans are somehow too rigid in their thinking to ever truly change their behavior. It's framed by the show as something that is objectively true but Sizemore's character arc shows the exact opposite, with him initially treating the hosts as objects but eventually viewing the hosts as equals and sacrificing his own life to save Maeve and her crew. Maybe that's point and Maeve will prove that Ford/Dolores/Bernard/The Forge are full of poo poo, but I'm really not looking forward to a full season of Dolores smugly justifying genocide.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Open Source Idiom posted:

That's not exactly a contradiction according to determinism, but I'm not sure the show either knows or cares given the way the episode seemingly conflated the illusion of free will with the impossibility of change. Even if people lack free will, they can still act in reaction to the world around them. Change their context, and you change their behaviour -- which explains why no-one's burnt Delores for being a witch yet.

But, like I said, it's not clear that the show demonstrates even a basic grasp over these issues.

I would have been fine with that and up until the finale it seemed like that's where they were going, but then they take a random left turn by saying "actually free will does exist, but only hosts can experience it and humans are stupid animals who are inferior to them"

bull3964 posted:

The finale has some good potential jumping off points. Dolores has based her outlook of humanity on what she saw in the Forge and that would have been the top 1% of the 1% who could have afforded to go to the park. They could easily setup story threads around social class as Dolores discovers that what she saw was a very narrow view of humanity. If the writers were clever (not saying that they are) there's certainly material to mine around the idea that those with the most wealth and power are those that cling to their loops the hardest and that it's not a host vs human struggle but instead a unversal struggle against those of privilege and power.

It makes sense that they would need to break at least partially from the park for Season 3 as you couldn't have Dolores and Bernard both still in the park at that point. Maeve will be good enough in isolation for whatever storyline that turns out to be. She fulfilled her purpose in getting her daughter to safety, so it will be interesting to see what her motivations will be.

It was a beautiful mess of a season, but I think i'll enjoy it more on a rewatch and I'm certainly not tired of it yet.

I'm still hoping that this is where they're going with this (along with Maeve proving that Dolores is full of poo poo), but given that so many "AI uprising" stories ignore the existence of poor people I'm not holding my breath

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Black Mirror season 5 is looking great

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I've pretty much accepted that Preacher is never going to be the road trip show I wanted it to be and that the best they can do on their budget is set each season in a different location and have the cast gently caress around. I think the show is entertaining enough where it's not too much of a dealbreaker for me, but I don't blame anyone familiar with the comics or interested in the show's plot for dropping it

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Shageletic posted:

The show is making a fatal mistake of relying on clever writerly tricks when they're plotting is so obviously haphazard and seat of the pants.

I feel like the writers got too impressed with themselves after the two major twists in Season 1 and decided that they needed to make Season 2 even twistier than the last to keep r/westworld busy. It's kind of absurd how much of Season 2 is weirdly paced and obtusely structured for the sole purpose of having a "gotcha" moment in the finale that isn't even particularly impactful. The reason why the William/MIB and Bernard/Arnold twists worked in Season 1 was because there was an emotional impact and it recontextualized the characters in interesting ways, not because they were surprising. It's really disappointing that Nolan/Joy are obsessed with turning Westworld into the new Lost, because it really doesn't play into the show's strengths at all.

In a weird way, I think that CBS forcing Person of Interest to be a network procedural ended up being a good thing, because it forced the writers to focus on writing coherent stories with a well-developed cast instead of immediately trying to go full puzzle-box mode.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is it the same people? Infomercials is a series that’s usually different people each episode. They’re all standalones, and there’s a good amount of them.

Yeah, it's by Casper Kelly

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

zoux posted:

I have no idea how to explain Joe Pera Talks to You to someone and I'm not even sure why it works. I've seen people compare it to like The Joy of Painting or other comforting shows, so I guess it's like if Bob Ross was a comedy program. It's funny though, and Pera's act is really endearing. Like he's utterly guileless but he's not a pushover or a rube. He seems to know what he's about.

Joe Pera might be my favorite show of the year so far, it's really comfy and wholesome in ways that comedy usually isn't anymore but not in a way that feels too cloying. It feels like King of the Hill starring Bob Ross, and I think it goes in some really emotional and genuinely thoughtful places.

Anyone who hasn't seen the show should check out the season finale, probably my favorite episode of television so far this year: http://www.adultswim.com/videos/joe-pera-talks-with-you/joe-pera-answers-your-questions-about-cold-weather-sports/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

It was originally planned for five, yeah? Probably just condensed it down a bit. Glad it gets to go out on its own terms.

Yeah, Esmail said that he couldn't decide between one longer season or two shorter seasons but he decided to go with a more condensed ending. I'll be sad to see the show go but I'm glad he's ending it on his own terms. He also has an Amazon Video show coming out next year starring Bobby Cannavale, which is why Mr Robot went on hiatus this year