Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Great cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

I read the same about Kristen Chenoweth.

Neither of them want to continue without Fuller, afaik.

Star Wars Rebels looks like it's made of Lego but Clone Wars looked pretty decent (because George Lucas ploughed a bunch of money into it).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

Lucas was preparing a live action Star Wars before he sold it to Disney. Legend goes that 50 scripts had been written (including one by Simon Pegg), but Lucas was just waiting for it to become more cost effective for the ambition of the series to be film.

Disney put the kibosh on it however, and is now planning their own Star Wars TV series.

Lucas had been preparing a live action Star Wars since Revenge of the Sith came out. I remember circa 2006 when Wookieepedia would have regular updates on the progress of the Star Wars TV series that was absolutely happening which was going to be set between ROTS and ANH. It was going to have the kid who played Boba Fett in AOTC reprising his role and Lucas himself was reported as saying he expected it would have at least 100 episodes.

Probably ran into the same problem as Young Indiana Jones in the end - it was too expensive for what he wanted to be able to do with it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Should I watch Miami Vice?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Having not watched any of the ceremony, I wonder if Gary Oldman getting a Golden Globe was awkward, because he's always slagged them off in the past.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you're going to have a multi-billionaire television celebrity to be president, you could probably do worse than Oprah. In fact, you already did.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EL BROMANCE posted:

It would’ve been super fun as a Lord/Miller film. This is the first real time I think Disney have dropped the ball.

It would be very interesting to hear the full story about what happened but we probably never will. I think troubled productions are very interesting to read about.

The strangest one about this one is the story about the lead actor apparently not being able to act so they needed to get an acting coach for him, because I remember one panel he was on where he was explaining how the audition process lasted months; if you're auditioning this guy for that long, surely you would've realised that he's not cut out for it at some stage in the process?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

So now that I'm done with The Good Wife, I need a new procedural or legal drama to keep my nervous system intact. I tried watchimg Midsomer Murders, but so far the pilot is sapping my will to live. And it's 100 minutes long.

Any recommendations?

How about Elementary?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

It's not on Netflix :(

Hmm. I'm not really sure what is and isn't on Netflix. I liked the Lethal Weapon TV series, which I watched recently, so I suppose I recommend that if it's on.

The Mentalist had some fun episodes, even though it's overarching storyline wasn't very interesting to me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Lethal Weapon is horrible and I can't stop thinking how much I'd rather see Danny Glover on screen.

Sorry. :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm interested in Franklin's lost expedition but I haven't read the book that's based on, though. Is it worth checking out?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MiddleOne posted:

The best shows of all time are:

Dexter
Under the Dome
Containment
Marvel's Inhumans
I want to say... The Flash?

What, no Heroes?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn't object if whoever follows Craig gets to go the Roger Moore route and do a more humorous take, but I'm not holding my breath.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The most disappointing thing about Tomorrow Never Dies (which is a movie I like) is that MGM claimed to be planning a spin-off movie starring Michelle Yeoh as her Tomorrow Never Dies character, which could have been fun.

Sony wanted to do the same thing with Halle Berry in Die Another Day but I think she opted out because she wanted to do Catwoman.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Roger Moore was probably too old to play Bond by the time he got to View To a Kill but in all honesty he was probably too old to play Bond when he started in 1973.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Moore knew it, too. Not only did he only do the movie because of contractual obligation, when he found out he was literally older than Tanya Roberts' mother, he begged the producers to either re-cast Roberts to someone more age-appropriate or just dump him entirely and find a new Bond.

Make no mistake, I enjoy Moore as James Bond a lot, but he probably should've quit after Moonraker and let Sam Neill or Lewis Collins or someone do For Your Eyes Only.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lelandjs posted:

Oh my goodness look at all of these bad opinions about TV and animals in this, the James Bond thread

The best James Bond TV series was Reilly: Ace of Spies.

Either that or Codename: Kyril.

Or Callan.

But it's definitely one of those.

Or maybe Danger Man, I'm not sure.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

Guys. I just realized that Remington Steele with Pierce Brosnan and the Sharpe series with Sean Bean are two different things. I guess my brain thought "they're both a guy's name that describes a metal object with an extraneous 'e' at the end, and they both star a guy who would end up in Goldeneye. What's the difference?"

Sean Bean wasn't the first choice for Sharpe; Paul McGann had been cast, but had to pull out after he hurt his leg playing football. I bring this up because apparently Paul McGann was also the fallback choice for James Bond if Brosnan had said no to GoldenEye.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Peter Wyngarde has died at 90 (or thereabouts). He was most famous as a mainstay of TV drama in the 1960s and 1970s but you'd probably know him best for playing Klytus in Flash Gordon.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's strange that Damon Wayans is about 15 years older than Danny Glover was when he played Murtaugh but still seems a lot younger.

Another recent announcement (brought to my attention by the BSS TV thread): Shane Black and Fred Dekker are working on an Avengers reboot which could be fun if it happens.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Fred Dekker is weird for me. On one hand ... Monster Squad. On the other hand ... RoboCop 3.

I'd say that he and Black bring out the best in one another but I feel like Black's done plenty of good stuff on his own (I rewatched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang recently and it's still a very good movie) and I don't think Dekker has the same record.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

lol the main actor (Simon Templar?) is the tenth billed name on imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2569088/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

I was trying to think "Who would be the best actor to play the Saint?" and I kept looping back around to late 90s Pierce Brosnan. Maybe he should've been in the Saint movie from 1997 and Val Kilmer should've been Thomas Crowne. :v:

Current actors: I used to have this fanfiction idea where Simon Templar played by Henry Cavill gets home to his penthouse when he's confronted by Tom Hiddleston in a bowler hat with an umbrella who wants to talk to him to "the Avengers initiative".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have to admit, it can be nice sometimes going back to older shows that just have one story per week and don't worry too much about some sort of overarching narrative.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

Lost broke the brains of a generation so anything that is not part of some multi-year mytharc makes them start gibbering about procedurals.

One series I've read about but haven't seen was a Steven R. Bochco legal drama called Murder One, which aired in the mid 90s and had a fully-serialised story following a team of defence lawyers working on one case throughout its first season.

It had an ambitious reputation, but audiences apparently weren't ready, because by the time said first season ended episodes were beginning with very detailed, 10 minute long "previously on" recaps.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

less laughter posted:

CBS should revive The Dick Van Dyke Show with the original cast as well, the lead is only a sprightly 92

Would genuinely enjoy a Lou Grant revival. Ed Asner is only 88. He can still do it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Big Little Lies was a miniseries and didn't think miniseries tended to get second seasons. You know, I assumed they were finite by definition?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope the fellow who wrote Disney War comes up with a sequel or an expanded version of the book for when Iger finally goes. Probably wishful thinking, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Paul Bettany has walked from season 3 of The Crown (which has yet to be officially approved), citing "scheduling difficulties."

Michael K. Williams rumoured to be replacing him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's something interesting: the first TV drama funded by Bitcoins.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Phantom was meant to be the role that would make Gerard Butler an A-lister. Didn't quite work out like that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

If you've done anything in entertainment, you've at some point dealt with CAA. They were basically the original Hollywood superagency, representing basically everyone under the sun. Producers feared and hated Michael Ovitz because he was just that good at strongarm negotiation tactics. The company is also incredibly scummy.

Michael Eisner spending months convincing everyone else at Disney that Ovitz was the ideal person to appoint as company president then immediately trying to undermine him and get him to quit once he was in the job is one of the strangest things recounted in Disney War.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Eisner was a lunatic.

But somehow still doesn't come off as badly as Katzenberg.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I still haven't seen all of Banshee.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

You son of a bitch

Remember the time I posted a picture of my dvd collection and had all five seasons of Sliders?

They're still there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How is the Fargo tv series compared to the movie? I like the movie a lot but I haven't seen the tv series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I actually enjoy the Fargo series as a whole even more than the movie, especially Season 1, which is drat near perfect. 2 was still really good, and 3 had great moments but couldn't match the greatness of 1 and 2. If you like the movie or the Coen Brothers' work in general (since the Fargo series pays homage to all their movies with subtle references), you must watch it.

I like most Coen Brothers movies, though I haven't seen all of them.

They've done a couple of adaptations before. You know what I would love to see the Coen Brothers adapting either as a tv show or a movie? Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe mysteries. I reckon that would be in their wheelhouse.

DivisionPost posted:

Season 4 is a disappointment for a few reasons: Chief among them, they unwisely try to do their spin on a serial killer plot, which doesn't leave a lot of room for Hood to go buck-wild on some fools. Then you have the production's move to Pennsylvania proper being really jarring, Greg Yaitanes leaving to work on Quarry (which you might want to try out after this), and if you’re not a fan of Eliza Dushku, you're more likely to let out a big giant "well, poo poo" at some point.

Is that Quarry the Max Allan Collins character?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IRQ posted:

I have a feeling the Han Solo movie is going to break a lot of people of their trust in Disney and their money machine anyway. Rogue One did it for me, although I've really liked most of Rebels.

This is the one that has had reports and rumours going around about how Disney expects it to bomb, after all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Escobarbarian posted:

Ok wait I knew you didn’t like Last Jedi but disliking Last Jedi while loving Rogue One is some next-level insanity

It is actually a bit of a trend - lots of people who liked Rogue One a lot didn't like the FAILING Last Jedi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bruceski posted:

I really liked both of them. Though my criteria for good is pretty much "if I were channel surfing and it came on, would I stop and watch it" so something's got to be downright boring, offensive or just plain bad to cross that line. All it really takes is one good scene for me to buy in.

Absolutely, I liked them both. I like all of the Star Wars.

All I expect of any movie is that I am entertained for a couple of hours and even though they haven't been perfect they've all managed that so far.

Rocksicles posted:

I'm prepared to defend it with blood and tears.

It's a chewie movie.

I hope there's a scene where Lando opens a panel in the Millennium Falcon and sees Chewbacca and his family and says, "Han, why is there a family of Wookiees in here?" and Han says, "I call the big one 'Chewie'. :downs:"