Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

HorseRenoir posted:

lmaoooo Crocodile might be the dumbest episode of Black Mirror yet and that's really saying something.

Dumber than farting cartoon bear or "Community episode played straight"? I've got to see this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

GobiasIndustries posted:

On another note, how were the new Chappelle specials?

I thought the first two were kind of lousy, but the one that came out yesterday was great. I was somewhere in the audience for the recording of that one!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Guy Mann posted:

Did you ever see the Christmas special that came out between season 2 and the Netflix seasons? Because I think a lot of my dislike of this season was because so many of the episodes they put out felt like retreads of the ideas they used in that episode only without anything that really justified or was improved by redoing them and especially stretching them out to full episode length.

hell, half of White Christmas was a loving retread of episodes prior to that

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MiddleOne posted:

Youtube super star making ad-money off a suicide victim.

EDIT: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42538495

If becoming an old who is out of touch means I don't know who the gently caress most of these youtube "personalities" are, I think I'm okay with that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

bull3964 posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/animaniacs-revived-at-hulu-2-season-order-1071663

Animaniacs gets a two season order in Hulu. IMO, this is only going to be good if they get the same voice cast back.

This will not be good. It never is.
Beavis and Butt-Head is the sole exception.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

Duck Tales.

Okay, two exceptions. Although New Duck Tales is different enough that it could be considered a completely separate show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

Could be worse, they could reboot Tiny Toon Adventures Wacky Races.

I've got bad news for you...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

More bad American Gods S2 news, Gillian Anderson has stated that she will not be returning.

I read the same about Kristen Chenoweth.

HorseRenoir posted:

It sucks that American Gods is currently self-destructing, but I don't know what Bryan Fuller was expecting when he asked for a larger budget. The show was insanely expensive to make as-is and the current budget wasn't enough for him?

A live-action adaptation of American Gods is straight-up unworkable. They could have saved themselves a lot of trouble by just making it an animated series but American networks are deathly afraid of making animated dramas for some reason.

Netflix seems to bankroll plenty of shitawful animated shows, so they probably would have backed it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

GreenNight posted:

Or I mean we can have Trump for a second term. I think I'd take my chances on Oprah.

Wow, really settin' the bar high here

IRQ posted:

I don't have sound and I didn't read the title of the video so at first I thought the joke was that she would get such an easy question wrong, but she didn't, then I got confused and read the title and uhhhh, even without what I assume is a creepy heavy breathing voiceover that's all kinds of creepy

On the other hand, this is the first time I haven't regretted reading the comments on a YouTube video.

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 9, 2018

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rarity posted:

People are the loving worst. Mad props to Dushku for coming forward with that.

I can't imagine my kids coming to me with something like that and not immediately going to stomp the perpetrator into the ground. How her parents didn't murder that dude is beyond me, I hope they at least tried calling the police or something.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Steve2911 posted:

This also apparently went down just a few months ago. Have any of the other recent accusations been so recent? It's shocking that this would've happened literal days before #MeToo started.

Also pretty goddamn ironic in his case, considering part of season 2 of Master of None was about this very thing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Craig Ferguson owns though and his late late show was the best late night show I ever watched

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I posted the link about the Aziz story on my Facebook and then a couple people I know came to his defense and said the girl was full of poo poo and was asking for it and was abused intentionally for fame and money and to ruin Aziz's career.

I really loving hate some of the people I know.

the "unfriend" and "block" features exist for a reason, and you are not less of a person for using them.

precision posted:

let's face it, sex is gross and ugly

i'm not being ironic, or kidding, and i'm also not saying my wife and i don't have sex, i'm just saying... sex is gross and ugly and weird even when you're doing it right

sex is actually fun and awesome in every way and it sounds like you have some issues to work through

Rhyno posted:

Also if Donald Glover is outed as a monster I will blow this motherfucker up.

You mean, notorious Bro Rapist Donald Glover?

Rhyno posted:

I wonder how long Netflix will keep this show up on their service.

It's got top billing right now, because of the Golden Globes win.
Considering how long they took to deal with Danny Masterson, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to disappear.
Kinda sucks since it is a legit good show but I don't think I'm ever gonna watch it again.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MiddleOne posted:

I still hate Kevin Spacey for ruining Baby Driver for me

In the case of Baby Driver, you can still enjoy it since he gets owned by a car in the final act.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Looten Plunder posted:

New Beginnings isn't Rehab? I thought it must have been rehab.

I definitely remember ads for a place called New Beginnings when I was a kid, which featured a montage of people saying "I'm X, and I'm an alcoholic" so you're at least partially right.

This was in MD though, I don't know if those ads were nationwide.

Either way, that's a weird loving name for a bar.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

TIL that actually listening to someone you're hooking up with when they say no or push you away rather than fish-hooking their mouth and jamming your dick into their face makes you a "mind reader"

wow so rational, so measured

also loving lmao if you think that is the first time that has happened with him

lelandjs posted:

Oh for fucks sake. Aziz didn’t need to read her mind to realize that the woman in question didn’t want to have sex with him then and there. If a woman is telling you things like “next time” and not reciprocating kissing, those are very obvious statements that they’re not interested in fooling around.

The only time a woman is won over into having sex by aggressive forced kissing is in James Bond films... and those are full of really lovely awful stuff. Even as recently as Skyfall, where the first thing that James does after learning his female companion was a former sex slave is to walk in on her showering, naked and uninvited. Which is part of the reason I loving hate Skyfall.

Is that the same one he winds up accidentally killing later because his aim with a gun is so terrible? Man Skyfall was a loving turd of a movie.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 16, 2018

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

well I mean, I don't know how you missed it, it's pretty overt and the entire second half of the movie is basically "you know, this whole modern bond thing is okay but what if we brought back all the cheesiness and misogyny of the Connery era"

Timby posted:

It's not just Bond. Off the top of my head, in Skyfall:

- In the beginning, Moneypenny misses the shot, hits Bond. M made the call when it was likely a pretty awful decision. At the end, Moneypenny goes from being a field agent to a man's secretary.

- Severine--in addition to the rather horrible shower invasion--appears to be strong and in control, but is actually being controlled, is summarily executed and all that happens is Bond makes a rather tasteless one-liner.

- M is shown to make decisions out of maternal feelings; she is not seen as a leader, but rather as a mother figure to both the protagonist and antagonist, who in turn can't make decisions disconnected from her gender.

- At the inquiry regarding MI6, the head of the inquiry is a woman and she goes on a tirade at M, and she gets put in her place by a man, essentially being told "shut up."

- M can't handle a gun, is unable to defend herself, and dies. Not long after, she's replaced by a man.

That whole script is terrible.

This is why my personal nickname for Skyfall is "Bond: Other M"

the thematic mommy issues are so loving weird

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 16, 2018

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Vegetable posted:

Also I've been watching random episodes of Black Mirror. San Junipero is boring as poo poo and also really poorly directed and written. I guess I don't understand.

San Junipero's popularity IMO stems from a combination of not being as poo poo as the rest of that season and trading on the '80s / '90s nostalgia that most of its viewers undoubtedly have.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Are they keeping any of their shows, or is this like an Esquire Channel style scorched-earth changeover?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I liked Person of Interest, even the parts of season 1 that everyone else seems to hate, up until Taraji P. Henson's character died and it disappeared up its own rear end with the terribad dueling AIs plot over the last two seasons. Season 3 could have been a decent ending point where our heroes venture forth into an unknown oppressive future, because there really wasn't any way they could have done that dynamic shift in a satisfying way. (That's not to say they couldn't have done it better than they did, though.)

But I guess I'm unique 'round these parts because I don't descend into a frothing rage over procedurals or multi-cam shows.

Escobarbarian posted:

the thing with PoI is that even when it supposedly gets good all i've read about it is like "THE GOOD COMPUTER VERSUS THE EVIL COMPUTER AND ALSO THE COMPUTERS CAN TALK" and it just sounds goofy as poo poo

It is exactly as goofy as it sounds.

quote:

oh and "THEY GET A DOG" which who cares

but on the other hand, go to hell

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 18, 2018

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

If the internet represents the will of the people, then clearly cats > dogs :colbert:

We had a Splatfest about this 2 1/2 years ago. Dogs won.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

pentyne posted:

It's not enough that the whole Aziz Ansair thing is polarizing as gently caress

It really shouldn't be though

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

I was happy just not being much of a dog person but not having any kind of specific dislike of them

Then all this “OMG LOOK AT THE DOGGO WHAT A GOOD BOY” poo poo started

Why was this what bothers you and not the decade+ of billions of variations on "i can haz cheezburger" and "kitteh" and other related cat memes

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

The dogs aren't even doing anything entertaining, they have a stick and it's apparently a big loving deal. People are coming around to realize that dogs suck, so Big Dog is spewing propaganda as hard as it can to convince people that dogs are good.

have you considered that dogs are in fact good and it is you who is dumb and wrong

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

Nope, because I'm not in the pocket of Big Dog

dont be mad just cause u cant run with the big dogs

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

LadyPictureShow posted:

I have no idea what is going on with this letter, but she sounds like a goddamn loon.

Why is she so furious?

The person is the one who wrote the Babe article and the one she is referring to is the dipshit that said that Aziz Ansari can't understand body language and verbal requests to stop because he is not a "mind reader"

Who absolutely deserved to be savaged but this was a super childish way to go about it

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

I am really surprised so many people have fond memories of a show that was old when Cheers was on.

I'm not sure which show you're talking about, but it's only been in the last 15 years or so that TV channels didn't regularly run reruns of old shows. Like, who didn't grow up in the 90s and watch Gilligan's Island or I Dream of Jeannie on summer afternoons

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Somewhere there is a portrait of Wayans aging in his place. He could probably still manage to play someone in their late 20s convincingly.

E:Its some real Dick Clark level poo poo. Well, pre stroke Dick Clark.

I think there is a convincing argument that who we know as Damon Wayans Jr is really just his younger self brought through a time portal.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

esperterra posted:

Probably depends on where you lived. As a Canada I watched a shitton of The Avengers growing up. Also The Saint, which has a terrifically terrible reboot pilot turned terrible movie on Netflix. I think Eliza Dushku was in it.

I remember seeing that piece of poo poo Saint movie when it was in theaters, my brother wanted to go see it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

I liked Get Smart but I don't think that kind of humor plays anymore. Just like you don't see Mel Brooks type movies or parodies like Hot Shots or Naked Gun anymore.

I would watch the gently caress out of a Mr Ed revival though.

Spy was like, two years ago?
I mean, I don't remember anything about it, but it was definitely a parody.

The Get Smart movie with Steve Carell wasn't that long ago either.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 19, 2018

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

swickles posted:

Man how is TV Chat talking about one note actors this long without a mention of Jason Mantzoukas.

You can get your fill of that in the Good Place thread.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

I think if more shows were one and done self contained episodes with ongoing plots shoved way way way in the background like God intended, no one would be complaining about pacing issues.

Lost broke the brains of a generation so anything that is not part of some multi-year mytharc makes them start gibbering about procedurals.

Hakkesshu posted:

Good thing the job of a critic is to evaluate a work and not its mass appeal.

I think a good movie exists inside of Bright, but the one we got is not that.

"What if there was a cop movie where racial stereotypes were coded to fantasy creatures?" - Max Landis, boy genius

I don't think it was a terrible movie, it was certainly watchable and I didn't feel like my time was wasted, but I have no desire to ever watch it again.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 23, 2018

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

lelandjs posted:

I generally agree, but one specific exception for me is X-Files. I've always maintained that the best episodes of the X-Files are the MotW ones. The plot arc is straight garbage, always has been.

Supernatural as well. It has some great one-off / MOTW episodes, but ever since the show continued past the original five-season arc, they've been struggling for almost a decade to raise the stakes past "the literal end-of-times apocalypse" and it's almost invariably been poo poo. (Coincidentally, the two shows have shared some actors / writers.)

I think plot arcs have their place, specifically in stories that have been fully planned out in advance or else it's almost always a disaster, and MOTWs have their place for short self-contained stories involving the same characters encountering a variety of enemies / situations. It doesn't need to be all one or the other, and either one can be superior to the other depending on the circumstances and the writing.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 23, 2018

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Are there that many anthology shows? The only one I can think of off the top of my head besides Black Mirror and Electric Dreams, which are both pretty mediocre, is Inside No. 9, which I just found out about a few weeks ago and is pretty great from the few episodes I've seen so far.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

HorseRenoir posted:

I've been really enjoying Black Lightning so far. It's definitely still a CW show but it's darker and stylistically different from the other DC shows they have running.

That reminds me to watch, I forgot it was starting so soon.
Hopefully they won't strip it of its style to mash it in with the boring mess they've made of Arrow and Flash.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

so to clarify, the argument here is "TVIV turns on every show in its third season because the show with the worst fanbase ever had idiots complain about the quality even though it was the best one yet"?

also didn't the Flash backlash start with s2?

Yeah, his hurp durp goon stereotyping doesn't even make sense in the case of DC shows, because those usually get the best reception in season 1 when the show is fresh and they have a lot of ideas to draw from before it settles into a groove.

Person of Interest is one example of a show where the goon consensus seems to be that season 3 is the best of the run.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I've liked what I've seen of it, but it didn't really strike me as something worth obsessing over.

From what I've seen in the internet wilderness, when it comes to Rick and Morty people seem to obsess over
a) chicken nugget meme sauce
b) how brilliant Rick is and how much they want to be like Rick, which is somehow missing the point of a show that is about as subtle as a ton of bricks

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Party dudes are allowed to appreciate the arts too, zoux

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

hope and vaseline posted:

I think I watched 4 seasons of Charmed and I don't remember one goddamn thing about that show

I remember that Shannen Doherty's character died and was immediately forgotten about by everyone.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

lmao, the only tv show they can think of making is one to worship the Bitcoin creator. That's not really that interesting at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

LadyPictureShow posted:

Can anybody explain why they find Eric Andre funny?

I actually like Eric Andre better when he's dialed down a bit and not doing the wacky crazy man routine, like in Man Seeking Woman and DTTB.