Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Yeah, Mr. Robot's not cancelled. Sam Esmail's going to be busy working on his new Amazon show though*, so no time to get the show shot and released this year.

*And also his adaptation of Metropolis, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, it's a good show. Can get pretty ambitious as well, despite its small budget. Does some really cool things with its cast and its season structures.

The third season renewal makes a fourth one likely as well, given a combination of factors.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

So now that I'm done with The Good Wife, I need a new procedural or legal drama to keep my nervous system intact. I tried watchimg Midsomer Murders, but so far the pilot is sapping my will to live. And it's 100 minutes long.

Any recommendations?

Southland.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If you're looking for kidsafe naval battles, you'd honestly be better off looking at Hornblower rather than Black Sails.

(Hornblower is good, people should watch Hornblower.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

CANADA ALERT RYAN ROBBINS ON VAN HELSING

Ah you're well into the good part of the season now. Warning: I think that the first season finale doesn't quite work, despite its ambitions, but the journey there is gutwrenching, and the second season keeps the pace up.

(On top of being a ubiquitous Canadian, Ryan Robbins is friends with Simon Barry, so he turns up in everything he does. I wouldn't be surprised if Luvia Peterson turned up in Van Helsing's third season as well.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Berenice Marhloe gives ten times the performance that Skyfall deserves. She's pretty great, honestly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

zoux posted:

The Tick got renewed.

But on the other hand:

John Claude Van Johnson, I Love Dick and One Mississipii were cancelled.

Oh, and Anthony Star (from Banshee) joined Amazon's The Boys adaptation.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

esperterra posted:

Is Goliath getting a second season? It wasn't an amazing show but Billy Bob was good and I require more Olivia Thirlby Being In Things.

Last I heard, they want to make more, but it's in some sort of crazy limbo because of behind the scenes drama.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

How does it compare to Wyonna Earp?

Plotting's better, and VH has a far darker tone. Similar uptick in quality over the course of the first season (though Wynonna Earp's first episode is far far worse than anything Van Helsing has ever done.)

Also Van Helsing is more character driven than Wynonna Earp.

(I don't like Wynonna Earp that much, though I don't hate it or anything.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B85lYenaxE

New trailer for Heathers, which looks pleasingly well shot and put together.

And, look, I know a lot of people are going to be upset by the central concept behind the revamp, but I legit think it could absolutely work. The original is absolutely bleak loving satire, but I think you couldn't do it again -- it's been watered down and normalised over the years to the point where its original points are really quite easy to digest. (e.g. Mean Girls). I think it's most obvious with the musical adaptation -- which I love -- which is softer than the film version, which is, itself, softer than the original script was going to be.

I've seen a lot of people argue that the new season -- it looks like it's a sequel, not a remake, and has Shannon Doherty back as a Heather -- will be about tearing down minorities, and is throwing in turnabout for the sake of it, but after seeing that trailer I disagree that they're actually going in that direction.

Any revamp, if it wanted to have the same black satirical quality, needed to have a nasty edge. Upending the highschool foodchain, and presenting Veronica as even crazier than the original Veronica, seems to be the way to do it -- it shifts minorities to the centre of the narrative rather than leaving them to play at the edges of the story, and shifts the criticism from attacking white female power structures (which, like I said, has been done an awful lot). It becomes a criticism of backlash culture, and the cultural need to destroy minorities.

Or maybe not. Either way, I'm just more excited at this point.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Huh. I mean, I know a lot of people were angry, but I figured it was just, you know, fidelity criticism as its worst. Or reddit, whatever.

Like I said, I was pretty excited by it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think I remember Pratt being a creep in The Five Year Engagement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-UahrHq4J8

Like, he's funny and goofy in other scenes, but I'm convinced he could play a decent serial killer.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Are there any new shows debuting shortly that don't look like total horseshit? AP Bio is the only thing standing out for me.

DRAMAS:

The Alienist, American Crime Story, Counterpart, WACO

COMEDIES:

Alone Together, Corporate, High Maintenance, Baskets

*not technically new shows, but low flying enough that you might not have seen them.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 22, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Fleabag is awesome, is that even ever coming back, I guess whatsherface was busy with Solo

It's coming back, Waller-Bridge is working on another new show as well though (Killing Eve with Sandra Oh), so that's why it's delayed as well.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Is it worth watching even without the app? Can’t get it over here.

It's Soderbergh, so yes.

I mean, you liked The Knick, right?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Popelmon posted:

You guys really like this intro? The music is fine but it looks like something that someone's 16 year old nephew cobbled together in an afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwGCIbK4LSg

I really love the way it changes every episode (though paying too close attention completely spoils at least one character death). It's cheap, sure, but in exchange for being modular and flexible.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tortolia posted:

Counterpart episode 3: that escalated quickly :stare:

This show is fantastic.

Yeah, Counterpart is really, really good.

We don't have a thread for it yet, do we? If not, I'll make one tonight.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

You mean the debut time or the quality?

Because it's kind of MEH so far.

I'm only five minutes in, and I'm (sardonically) impressed with how the film is trying to pass off technobabble exposition as if it's emotional dramatic dialogue. The only reason the opening scene isn't complete garbage is Gugu Mbatha Raw being a bomb rear end actor.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

IRQ posted:

Ah, so they wrote that season before the election then?

e: Trump is much, much, much infinitely worse.

Nah: they wrote the season during the election. The president's basically an heroic figure for most of the season, up until to the point that the writers realised that was Trump gonna win, then boom! Suddenly she's a war mongering paranoid dictator. It's dramatic whiplash.

Honestly, it's still a really good season (and would have been an excellent season if real life hadn't pushed them off course.). I don't envy their position at all.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

HanabaL03 posted:

Also anyone know why the AV club has nothing on Counterpart?

Short answer, the site's changed a lot behind the scenes. Effort post answer?

They're run by mercenaries who don't care about quality shows or quality writing. They go where the perceived audience is, and if their metric doesn't perceive an audience the show gets dumped. If a staff writer cares about a particular show they can go to bat on it, though it used to be that they would do full seasonal coverage. Now it'd be "period check ins".

Plus, a lot of the commenter community dropped off over the course of several site changes, and many of the ones who are left are nursing grudges. Add to that the influx of -- shall we say, difficult? -- posters whenever there's an audience mega show around (GoT, for instance) and you've got a big sea change in the kinds of people who comment for the site. A lot of these people are fickle, and only flock to certain megashows, so the site chases these people and the writing suffers thanks to catering over specifically. Add to that a habit of hiring a crop of writers with poorer talent than the last lot of newbies, and you've got systemic sea change on your hands.

And, yeah, you're welcome to read this as Old Man Yells At Cloud, or whatever stodgy conservative fan discourse you want. That's honestly probably true.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Vegetable posted:

Are you serious? Even in their scaled-down form, they still do far more reviews on unpopular TV shows and films than most other publications. Their review on an obscure Japanese film, published last Thursday, has received only a single comment.

I'm hardly AV Club's biggest fan, but these are tough times for TV/movie review sites and I cannot imagine how blinkered one must be to accuse them of being mercenaries or whatever horseshit.

Actually their film stuff is pretty good. As is their games coverage, though it's not particularly broad. I was mostly talking about television.

But sure, yeah, perhaps I am a bit blinkered.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 6, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Speaking of both Banshee and Reg E Cathay, the show did a lot of additional online exclusive content over the years. Including this, for season 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCAxRcG01sc

It's not mindblowing or anything, but it's a well put together scene and a nice example of how Cathay could liven up a part.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Watched that new Alan Ball show that a lot -- a lot -- of reviewers are down on. Dunno, I thought it was fine. The performances are great, it's a really strong ensemble, it doesn't telegraph its humour, and the characterisation is nuanced and detailed. The cast are well observed, if not particularly likeable; though I know the latter point is a deal breaker for a lot of people.

Don't see much difference between it and Six Feet Under to be honest, other than replacing the funeral home with a strong, self-critical vein of sanctimony (even the kids aren't immune, they seem to work in aspirational fields). I wonder if this show being so scathing of liberal earnestness is part of the reason behind the poor reviews.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Netflix has a $300 million deal with Ryan Murphy to make shows and movies for the next 5 years. He's leaving FX/Fox. I don't think that Katrina show is happening.

From what I understand, he's still obligated to work on the shows that FX have in production, so the Katrina season of American Crime Story is still happening. He's just no longer producing any new shows with them.

Edit: What DP said.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
And Residue!

Everyone always forgets Residue. :(

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

1. Why does the Trade Minister seem to have so much power and influence? Wouldn’t this position be just the equivalent of Secretary of Commerce or something like that?

2. Did Julianna uhh, end up getting her job in the Japanese government building by blowing the dude? In the scene immediately after he unzips it looks like she ran away but then she ends up getting the job anyway.

Can't help you with the first one, though the second season does suggest that Tagomi doesn't really have all as much influence as the first season suggests.

On point 2... She didn't blow him. The skeezy minister who was interviewing her ended up hiring Amy Okuda's character, who did blow him. Juliana was hired by Trade Minister Tagomi because of the incident in the corridor where he dropped her necklace, which he took to be an auspicious sign.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I love Mozart In the Jungle. I

STAC Goat posted:

I watched like a season and a half and like... it was ok. Perfectly pleasant. But there was something kind of off about it that I couldn't place. Like I could never figure out if it was a comedy or a drama or what exactly I was supposed to be watching for or something. I don't know.

It's both! It's similar to Netflix's GLOW, Atypical, ect. in that it's descended from that brand of Showtime half hour "women in crisis" shows that were more funny, yeah, but also more grounded and emotionally driven than a lot of other contemporary shows. Sometimes they'd get pretty dramatic, but they tended to be light, easy watching.

Maisel's another recent example of that kind of show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Heathers pilot is out. It's pretty good, and does some cool things. I'm again feeling pretty excited about the show.

Josh Lyman posted:

It took months for me to finish Legion, and even then I had to binge the back half in one sitting. I like mutant stuff and I like artsy stuff (see: Hannibal) but for some reason, Legion just never worked for me.

I was always frustrated by how slow the plot was, and that it wasn't particularly interested in its characters. Then you get that giant infodump in episode seven and I was just left with the feeling of... is that it?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

HorseRenoir posted:

I've been watching Channel Zero and I'm really impressed with it so far. It's like an artsy "prestige TV" version of American Horror Story, and it does a good job of being creepy in really creative and smart ways instead of leaning on shock value or jump scares.

I just started Season 2 and this poo poo is :suspense:

I rewatched Season 2 just this weekend, and I think it really rewards repeated viewing. There's a surprising amount of depth to the thing -- for instance, the first time through I missed a lot of what the season was doing with gender, and what the season seems to be implying about Dylan and Lacey's relationship. That, and the symbolic stuff with the flowers and the pools of water have taken on a new dimension. It's nothing mind shattering, but it's very cool.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

It'll be interesting to see what they do seeing as the books don't have an overarching story or set of characters. If they really want to start out strong I would suggest they skip the first two books and go right to Use of Weapons. It's action filled and also has a character who gets introduced to the Culture so it would work as an entry point.

From the articles I've read, and it's pretty loose right now so it could go either way, it appears that they're only adapting Consider Phlebas and not the other books at all.

Amazon posted:

“The story of the Culture is so rich and captivating that for years Hollywood has been trying to bring this utopian society to life on the screen. We are honored that we have been chosen, along with Dennis Kelly and Plan B Entertainment, to make Consider Phlebas into a television series we think will be loved by fans for years to come.”

The exciting part here is Dennis Kelly, who did Utopia and Pulling.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

IRQ posted:

But isn't The Wire in 16:9 largely free of like boom mics and crew members and poo poo like that in the shots that a lot of things assumed to be viewed in 4:3 are plagued with?

I mean, yeah that could be the case, but the show was shot and arranged for 4:3. Blowing that out means that you're going to be increasing the amount of negative space in the image. i.e. everything that's important is going to be happening in the centre of the screen, and the margins are going to be full of empty space. The most obvious effect is that cramped shots are going to look less cramped, but it can also make shots look oddly blocked, or can dilute visual impact.

e.g. this shot from The Sopranos, which like The Wire was shot for 4:3 but protected for 16:9 -- so no boom mikes, but the shot loses something in translation. The broadcast image would have had Tony boxed in by the frame rather than floating in the centre of the image. Melfi's legs would have been even more prominent; hell, it'd be basically all we'd see of her. The wider shot also means that the sharp planar quality to the scene, the line drawn from Melfi through the tissues and to Tony, is blunted by the bookcase on the left. Ultimately you still get a similar effect, but the force of the original image is diluted.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 22, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Tho it and the far more dubious Heathers tv show (what if fat people gays and blacks were the REAL bullies!!!)

It's more nuanced than that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

So the reviews like this are just alarmist/clickbaity? It's the daily beast I know. I'm honestly curious. Cuz I was getting Reddit/grandpa email vibes
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-new-heathers-is-a-trumpian-lgbt-bashing-nightmare

I think so. The show dabbles with some ideas I'm a bit nervous with -- particularly the idea of minority status being cop-opted as a power symbol, though speaking as someone who used to run a queer space it's not unheard of -- but I think it takes a lot of the ideas from the original and updates them in clever ways. There's a lot here about how cycles of violence are self perpetuating even in the absence of the original act of abuse. (The show is essentially a sequel, not a remake.) As with so many revolutions, the absence of the traditional alpha girl squad has led to a power vacuum. There's no static social hierarchy, but instead there's something a lot more fluid and unstable. The minority characters use their status to tear into each other rather than support each other, and in doing so recreate the tensionn and conflicts of the original film. Effectively, Westerbergh has learnt the exact wrong message from the end of the previous film, Martha receiving that scrunchie wasn't a release from an oppressive system, it was just a handover of power.

Additionally: The show flips the script a fair bit. Veronica's very quick to jump onto the murder bandwagon, JD's much more obviously aligned with Nazism, and the antagonist characters from the original are more sympathetic and far more resilient to being bumped off -- particularly the jocks, who are lovely, supportive and explicitly gay. There's also a moment at the end that suggests that JD's the real successor to the legacy of the original Heathers -- he's Shannon Doherty's son. Honestly, I suspect he keeps the red scrunchie in his murder kit, as it's otherwise missing from the show.

Plus the writer of the original film apparently really likes the show, so it's got that going for it too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I'm kind of wondering how much was decided beforehand when they wrote the scripts because one of the episodes is cowritten by Jackson Publick and the big head with little body definitely seems like one of his ideas.

I think it would have been written and filmed all together, yeah?

My gut says the season was split up for stupid production or marketing reasons.

(And count me in as another person who wasn't particularly enthused by the back half of the season.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
And Ben Edlund's written a few Venture Bros. episodes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
iZombie off to a suitably insane start.

Part of me wishes they dump the brain of the week / murder stuff entirely (there tends to come a point every season where it feels like a distraction rather than an attraction) but it's still a very strong show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Inspector 34 posted:

Holy poo poo Atlanta S1E7 is loving gold. I watched and episode or two when it first aired but it didn't grab me. Now I'm binging through it on Hulu and it's incredible.

I watched that at the time and rewatched it recently, and nah, still not impressed with it. I admire a lot of the structural stuff that it's been praised for, though a lot of the references passed me by. I really like the series generally. The political stuff in the episode was hosed though, and it completely sucks the power out of the episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Heathers' premiere has been pushed back from March 7th to "?"

Boo! I really liked that pilot.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

well, the villains' costuming kind of codes them as "tumblr kids" which has certain connotations even if the show doesn't follow through with them and goes in a different direction

I don't really agree that the Heathers are the villains of the piece. The Heathers are bullies, sure, but they're not psychopaths, serial killers or attempted mass murderers. That's JD.

The Heathers pilot was directed by a queer woman, and the show's writer's room is apparently staffed by mostly queer people. I feel like they're unlikely to be targeting minorities given that that's who they are themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ape Agitator posted:

I'm five episodes into The Runaways and I think it might be a very bad show. I was into the non-superhero tone and pace for most of the pilot episode and it keeps getting worse as I go in. Like they introduced time travel in the span of two minutes and used it for a throwaway "high stakes" imagery before discarding it.

Is there some rainbow on the horizon or should I move onto Inhumans to see if it lives up to its reputation?

Runaways is a very bad show, and not in any kind of interesting way.

Inhumans is a hilariously bad show, but isn't quite bad enough to be enjoyed on that level. (It's no Olympus.)

(But between them, I'd honestly pick Inhumans.)