Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

MiddleOne posted:

Patriot is a masterpiece and if you haven't seen it yet you should be ashamed. You disgust me.

We must convert everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Spoilers man.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

CBJSprague24 posted:

I found The Wire Season 1 at Walmart for $10 so it became a late Christmas present and, even though it's been a slow buildup to this point, I'm enjoying it. Think I just finished episode 4, the one with the topless, lesbian makeout session at the end.

That’s the episode with Bunk and McNulty doing police work in that apartment, and it’s just them going ‘gently caress’ and ‘motherfucker’ the whole time.

Jesus Christ The Wire holds the gently caress up.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mu Zeta posted:

The Wire has some painfully bad scenes like the whole chess game metaphor and when Omar is testifying in court about how guns and briefcases are equivalent and the crowd is all shocked. McNulty's accent also sucks.

The chess game metaphor didn't seem so bad to the younger version of me back in 2002. That said it stood out really bad during my recent season 1 rewatch.

Moving on to the docks in the next week. I haven't watched The Wire since it original aired, so I am curious if it will hold up as my top show of all-time. There is a lot more competition for that spot now.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

maybe it's just me, but i thought lost was a pretty good show

Yep it was great despite any issues I have with how it finished.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Also Patriot season 2 is suppose to be out in 2018.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Rocksicles posted:

I thought Patriot was canceled.

Hell to the no.

Also Debra Winger is joining the show for season 2-

http://deadline.com/2018/01/debra-winger-joins-patriot-season-2-amazon-prime-1202235260/

DivisionPost posted:

Nah, that's shortly after season 2 airs.

I'm hoping that it grows into a cult following so this doesn't come true.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

At first I read this as Snow Crash, and I got excited. Still I think Jennifer Connelly is great. Also am I the only one that sometimes flashes back to that horrific scene in Requiem for a Dream when you hear her name?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Rocksicles posted:

You loving bastard, i'd gone 699 days without thinking of that movie.

I've always called it the Ned Beatty effect. You see an actor in a situation so awful or absurd that you can no longer disassociate them from the scene. I have the same problem with Robert Downey Jr thanks to Less Than Zero.

Electronico6 posted:

Snow Crash is being developed into a tv show by Joe Cornish from the Adam and Joe show, also cool movie Attack the Block. I think it's going to be on Amazon last time I checked.

Ok that is good news. That along with the rumors of HBO doing the First Law trilogy makes me happy.

Edit: OK I just had my mind blown. I was reading about Ned Beatty, and I stumbled upon Ronny Cox.

I never knew this guy...

...was this guy

until now.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 12, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Let me be honest, as a teenager back in the 80's good chance I did things as bad as described by his victim. Several times I tried to pressure girlfriends into sex or when I was told they didn't want to go any further I used the 'back off and try again strategy' (which never worked). Also as a male I was in a presumed position of power. Not proud of it, and while I was a young and dumb its not an excuse. Still I was a teenager, and once I matured I came to realize I should have stopped at the first hint they didn't want to go any further. Still it is hard for me to understand how a thirty-something male who claims to be 'woke' can make those mistakes. It is creepy and complete abuse of power. That said I was reading on another forum where people were using terms like 'rape' and saying that his life should be ruined for what he did. While I am pretty sure we can all agree it wasn't rape, but should his life be ruined over this incident? Or am I allowing the mistakes made by a 15-16 year old me influence me when it comes to judging a 34 year old man?

Edit: It is funny how much of the media I consumed during the 80's I thought condoned my own behavior. Everything from misogynistic rap and 80's hair metal to the sexism of movies like Weird Science, Revenge of the Nerds, and even MASH (which I watched reruns daily). As a teenager I felt like this was how a guy was suppose to persuade a girl. Thankfully such bullshit has been left in the past (well mostly).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 15, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Now that Rarity's 2017 TV poll is over, what would people consider their all-time greatest and/or favorite shows? I was thinking about it and made a list of my favorites. I

As you can tell nothing original (but how can you not have shows like The Wire in your top 5 outside unless you never watched it). While this is mostly the greatest, the last 3 shows are more favorites than greatest. I feel like I am forgetting a few shows I really like (I can't believe SFU made my list), but I am trying to do this just off the top of my head. I am sure later I will regret making the back half of this list.

1 - The Wire
2 - The Sopranos
3 - Mad Men
4 - Breaking Bad
5 - Deadwood
6 - Halt & Catch Fire
7 - MASH
8 - Battlestar Galactica
9 - LOST
10 - Six Feet Under?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, SCD is solid. But GLOW is a can't-miss.

Maybe it was my low expectations, but I also thought SCD was solid. Also I thought they did a great job of handling the kids in the show.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 15, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Timby posted:

I'm not sure I could rank them, but immediately off the top of my head:

Homicide: Life on the Street (that one's the clear-cut number one, full stop)

But no The Wire?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

MiddleOne posted:

The best shows of all time are:

Dexter
Under the Dome
Containment
Marvel's Inhumans
I want to say... The Flash?

I think you mean Weeds instead of The Flash.

Leading with Dexter gives it away. That said I liked Dexter until surprise motherfucker Doakes died. The Trinity Killer arc was fine, but the show was never the same again to me. Of course it got really bad in the end.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

McSpanky posted:

Challenge mode: best shows of all time by decade.

That would be tough, because many of the shows I liked during the 80’s don’t hold up.

That said Wiseguy is the best show of the 80’s and it was my introduction to serialized television. Before 2017 it got bonus points for also introducing the world to Kevin Spacey.

70’s is MASH for me.

90’s would be X-Files with STNG coming up second.

2000’s and 2010’s just see my best of list.

And I don’t have time for the second part of your request.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

While I have a pretty similar background/age range as you, I've had quite the opposite experience. I've had women get me drunk and pressure me into sex (and some gay men as well, but I was usually quicker to shut that down). Having my boss ply me with free whiskey all night and then send me to her friend's hotel room - despite being incredibly drunk, I was able to leave the hotel room and walk home (in 15 degree weather). Things like that happened several times, but there are also times like the ex-girlfriend of a bandmate insisting she "just want(ed) to watch movies" and then, after getting me drunk, begging for sex, and finally telling me that if I didn't perform she'd smear my name all through the Knoxville indie scene.

That's partially why I'm leery when people say "every man in Hollywood has done this" or similar things; women are more than capable of being awful too, it's just an unfortunate truth that there are more men than women in power especially in Hollywood.

Man that sucks. I think a lot of my behavior early on was due to how insecure I was, and having both mother and abandonment issues (young divorce parents is bitch). I try my best not to let my upbringing influence who I am today.

That said I had similar experiences in my 20’s. I had a married woman who was almost 15 years older than me stalk me and put into situations that were to the point that I almost I got a restraining order. The bitch even stole my signed copy of a James Ellroy book and rip into shreds because I wouldn’t sleep with her. I also had my male HR manager whip his cock out (after lots of drinking) when we were the last ones at a party at his house, and then he tried to suck mine. This made for an awkward Monday morning meeting between us where he apologized for his actions (until now I never told anyone about this but my wife). Maybe it was payback for my teenage years. Most of this all happened when I lived in Johnson City (HR manager happen here in Knoxville).

I have a niece that hangs out with several of the local bands here in Knoxville (mostly Americana or punk, but strangely both genres share members), and stories she tells me about who is harassing who or cheating on who. So I can imagine how easy it would be ruin your reputation in the local scene. Just last month she had a married musician (who I was friends with in passing and respected as a songwriter), put her in a very comprising position. He played it off as being drunk, but it has ruined how I looked at his music. I just saw his band at the Pilot Light, and it wasn’t the same.

Life is a hosed up ride. I’m just thankfully I found a good partner, and I don’t to deal with crazy anymore. Now back to TV.

precision posted:

Electric Dreams is super uneven but at least check out episode 3, it's fantastic.

Going to watch this episode right now.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 16, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

One quick final note (I promise) on this derail: one of the incidents was in JC, after heavy drinking at New Beginnings. I was cornered in a dark bathroom of someone's house by a man who was very, very insistent. I managed to get away without doing anything with him.

A month later I found out he was HIV positive (and had been for a while). gently caress that was scary.

Jesus Christ! Reminds me of a fellow Marine that got busted while picking up a prostitute at Camp Lejeune. She was HIV+. Ahh New Beginnings, that’s the first bar my wife and I ever went to.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw crimson tide when I was a kid

I think my first memory of James Gandolfini was True Romance.

Looten Plunder posted:

New Beginnings isn't Rehab? I thought it must have been rehab.

Actually it’s gay bar that had a large straight crowd too.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 16, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Looten Plunder posted:

Oh look. Someone thought about this rationally
Aziz Ansari Is Guilty. Of Not Being a Mind Reader.

I'm actually fine with this article, and overall my feelings (on the story so far) is somewhere between this and the other extreme of people thinking he is a full blown sexual predator. Do I think he is full of poo poo about certain topics and creepy? Yes. Do I think his career should be over or that Master of None should be pulled off Netflix? No of course not. The problem to me is people feel like they have to always take an extreme view about these type of stories. All you get is either 'she was asking for it' or 'she put herself in that situation' on one side (which is never acceptable) or on the other side 'castrate him' or 'ruin his life' on the other side (which is totally acceptable when talking about Weinstein for example). Even now I fear by trying to take a more moderate view about this incident that it will be perceived by others as me excusing his behavior (its inexcusable), and I'm just another male not understanding how it is to be a woman in this situation (while I try to understand, I know it is impossible). I do realize you need people to be extreme to move that middle ground of what is acceptable, but don't forget sometimes always taking extreme view can backfire. SA is pretty reasonable most of the times, and I am mostly talking about other sites.

Also the wine part of the babe article was awful. I haven't visited their website before, but things like that undermine the article.

Vegetable posted:

I binged Better Things over the past week and loooooved it. Surprised there doesn't seem to be a thread for it.

I binged watched this last month, and it ended up in my top 5 for 2017. Great show. I forgot how much I missed seeing Cokey Smurf on TV.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 16, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Babe.net handled this almost as bad as Aziz Ansari handled that date.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
After watching Wind River last night I learn two new facts about writer/director Taylor Sheridan (who is kicking rear end right now):

- He is doing a television show for the Paramount Network called Yellowstone.

- He played Deputy Chief David Hale on SoA (I had no idea).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Holy poo poo.

We watched the first two episodes of Banshee on Amazon Prime last night.

Holy. poo poo.

It reminds me a lot of Justified (which we both love), but more "extreme"... in a good way.

Does the quality stay this good?

It looks like only the first two seasons are available for free streaming, which is unfortunate.

Banshee is a great guilty pleasure entertainment that you don’t have to feel guilty about. Tons of extreme violence and nudity mixed with everything from Neo Nazis to Native Americans. The last season is a bit of a letdown but well worth watching all of it.

mobby_6kl posted:

Just saw that Amazon canceled JCVJ. gently caress you Bezos! This and perhaps Man in High Castle were the only of their shows worth watching so that's a bummer as it was pretty fun and great to see JCVD again in a self-aware role.

Someone needs to watch the best show on Amazon, Patriot or even Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 21, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

From what I remember: skip the MMA fighter episode and the episode with Hood's prison flashbacks (and the latter MIGHT be okay given no actual rape happens and dick-biting happens instead). Otherwise, you're clear.

I would skip ahead on the MMA fighter one to the actual fight, because Christ what a fight.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Hakkesshu posted:

Well Ragnar does get an Asian wife in one of the seasons. That was about where I peaced out.

I peaced our not long after that. I got sick of the whole will they betray him to the fake betrayals to the actual betrayals (which made no sense when you think of all the fake betrayals). It is shame I thought the show was good, especially in the first season (the episode where they went to the temple was amazing). I feel like the it was a better show when it was smaller in scope, and they should have made the season 1 story-line into 3 seasons.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

lelandjs posted:

So I haven't done much reading recently, but what I have read have been books about entertainment--Disney War, The War for Late Night, and the oral history Live from New York. Are there other good books detailing show histories or behind-the-scene drama at networks or studios?

I'd honestly love a behind-the-scenes about Lucasfilm (but that will never happen).

[Edit: Oh and I forgot How Music Got Free, which is a faaaantastic book about the music industry's transition from CDs to streaming services, covering everything from how the .mp3 format was created to the iPod's birth and how labels scammed TRL to promote struggling artists. I can't recommend it enough.]

Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN is pretty good.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

bull3964 posted:

"Damnation" cancelled after one season.

I put it on my DVR list, but never got to it. I think Logan Marshall-Green (the poor man’s Tom Hardy) was great in Quarry, and I hate to see yet another series he stars in only to get one season.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escobarbarian posted:

my mum was like “hey watch whatever you want” and I noticed my dad had the season premiere of High Maintenence so I put it on and then there was a very explicit threesome montage

also it was a pretty good episode but I prefer the ones that focus on one or two stories instead of hopping around

I was browsing HBO for something to watch the other day when I stumbled upon High Maintenance, and all I remembered ever hearing about it was someone posing about a threesome and watching it with their parents. So we watched the whole first season in 1 day (first time we ever did this, but it was only 6 episodes). There was a minor threesome during one episode (the one about swingers and the clap), and I was like whoever posted about watching with their parents extremely over exaggerated how explicit that threesome and must be a prude. Well then the next night we watched the season 2 premiere, and I was like 'Oh that is what they were talking about'. Yes it was pretty graphic. Also the punchline to the threesome (when she finds out they are brothers) was great.

Overall I really liked the series (glad they are doing 10 episodes this season), and I enjoyed the reactions to the disaster (although we both figured out what it was from the very start) in the season 2 premiere. I wonder if Master of None got the idea for it's 'New York, I Love You' episode from this series. I know the bouncing to characters has been done many times before (Slacker), but the New York feel of both of these is forcing me to compare them.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 26, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Shageletic posted:

Finally got around to watching Mr. Robot S2 this weekend, I can see why this show lost a lot of heat and fans (that's my impression anyway) over this span. It's less focused, the same meta tricks and dramatic twists lost their luster after the S1, and there was a lot of time spent on periphery characters plots.

I still think it's an immensely good looking and well constructed thing, with its own unique viewpoint on the world and the like. But I think I enjoyed it a lot more binging it than I would have watching it week to week. Though the ramp up in jarring violence made some good TV (even though sometimes I thought it was a crutch, what can we do in this scene? Throw in a gun I guess).

And the less I have to hear someone say the words "DARK ARMY" the better, talk about your crutches. Feels vaguely yellow peril to me.

Amazingly I think season 3 is better than season 1. It came back strong.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Chris James 2 posted:

Fuller reportedly wanted a darker, Black Mirror-style take, while Apple was aiming for more family-friendly fare

I wish he didn't make cool-looking or cool-sounding stuff because this poo poo always hurts when it never airs or airs only temporarily :negative:

Given how Amazing Stories was (from my memories when it originally aired), Fuller was in the wrong. Also I love some dark rear end poo poo, but not everything has to be dark. I don’t want Amazing Stories to look like Black Mirror.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Expanse S2 drops on Amazon Prime tomorrow, if anyone was waiting for it.

I couldn’t wait and actually paid for season 2 last fall. Well worth every penny.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

PriorMarcus posted:

Of course the alternative reason that not many people are discussing Altered Carbon is that it's not very good.

In fact, it's basically a boring slog of a program that is visually expensive but ultimately doesn't look very new or fresh at all.

I thought it was fine, but man that finale was bad. Even in the book the whole outcome and mystery was just lame (now I remember why I only ever read the first book). In the show you can actually point to the moment it goes bad, which is when his sister shows up. That said the flashback in the next episode is fine, it is just everything in the current timeline has went to poo poo. Everything from his sister to the outcome feels forced. Honestly the finale was so bad I felt bad for the actors in it. Even they had to think this is some stupid poo poo.

Still I will give season 2 a spin, and it did make me appreciate the Expanse more. I hope they forget the books, and do their own thing.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
https://twitter.com/aodespair/status/962104269385191424

Edit: Just saw someone posted about his death on the previous page. I’ll leave it since it is worth reading what Simon said.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 10, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Open Source Idiom posted:

Watched that new Alan Ball show that a lot -- a lot -- of reviewers are down on. Dunno, I thought it was fine. The performances are great, it's a really strong ensemble, it doesn't telegraph its humour, and the characterisation is nuanced and detailed. The cast are well observed, if not particularly likeable; though I know the latter point is a deal breaker for a lot of people.

Don't see much difference between it and Six Feet Under to be honest, other than replacing the funeral home with a strong, self-critical vein of sanctimony (even the kids aren't immune, they seem to work in aspirational fields). I wonder if this show being so scathing of liberal earnestness is part of the reason behind the poor reviews.

I enjoyed it of course, and it does tap that Six Feet Under vein. My only complaint is it is a little heavy handed, but that might be the point.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

X-O posted:

I've never been a Taylor Kitsch fan but Waco has completely turned me around. Just a phenomenal performance.

Between this and the Taylor Sheridan project 'Yellowstone' I hate that Paramount isn't on Vue.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

Gimme a Pump Up the Volume remake

He would just have a podcast in 2018.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
drat Counterpart is just awesome. Early top 10 contender.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

lelandjs posted:

I was laughing my rear end off during the Pizza Ghost segment. Not because the Pizza Ghost was funny, but because they apparently didn’t do a rehearsal with the fog machine and it completely obscured the two of them for a good thirty seconds.

Same here. It was so amateurish (exactly what I want from this show) that was it funny as hell.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh yeah, that was an excellent episode. Really didn’t expect the creators to tackle their real-life situation so much.

But in the latest episode when Beth finally texts him back and it’s only to refer a new customer I was so :(

I’m not sure which type episode I love more, one with completely new characters or ones like the last couple of weeks focusing more on ‘the guy’.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

muscles like this! posted:

Heathers' premiere has been pushed back from March 7th to "?"

It wouldn't surprised me if this goes the way of A&E's "Neighbors With Benefits", and just disappears. Honestly I didn't mine the premiere, but it wasn't great. I do think the knee-jerk reaction to the pilot was a little much (on both sides), but still the satire of the show is not as cleaver as it thinks it is. I hope it does comes back so we can see the complete season. but too much great TV to get upset if it doesn't.

Also the Paramount App is pure trash.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

bull3964 posted:

The postponment has nothing to do with the reaction to the pilot. They just don't want to promote a show about school children killing other school children right at this moment. Of course, who knows when they'll actually get a clear window to do that.

Oh I know that. I was just thinking out loud how everything surrounding the show since the trailer has been so negative (unfairly at times). Also I have the same thought if there will ever be a clear window again to do a show about school children killing each other. How much longer until the next school mass shooting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escobarbarian posted:

When are these shows about children killing each other going to stop being treated so unfairly???

I think you missed the 'at times' part cause no said the violence issue is why the show is being treating unfairly. The unfairly part is how many have written the show off as pro-Trump.

IRQ posted:

Did you guys catch this week's episode of Thoughts and Prayers?

I think Chris Pratt did.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 1, 2018