Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hello new thread! Hope everyone has a wonderful new year. I dunno if I can ever watch as many shows in 2018 as I did in 2017 (like 112 when I finish the things I have left), but I sure can try!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Young white YouTubers have no consciences or common sense

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I only just noticed this thread’s title doesn’t have the word “Couch” in it. What a terrible mistake

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s quite funny just how often people come into this thread to be indignant about a show not having a thread and said show will always 1. definitely have a thread or 2. be some rando garbage only that one person has even heard of

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Back on the grind for 2018: watched the first episode of Esther Povitsky’s show ALONE TOGETHER and it was great!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They’re both good episodes though?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well it’s like the only original movie they’ve ever bothered actually promoting so duh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

Kiernan Shipka is Sabrina in the Riverdale spin-off.

holy poo poo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Based on a positive review from Sepinwall I started watching British show The End of the F**king World, which came out internationally on Netflix yesterday, and drat y'all this is some really really good poo poo. Very dark comedy - kinda like even more sociopathic teenage versions of the leads in You're the Worst go on the run. Check it out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

if any of yall haven't yet checked out The End of the loving World on Netflix, do so right now

edit: oh man hbomberguy just put up a video about the dr. who christmas special :allears:

we already freaked out about how good this was and you missed it SORRY

but yes it is a very very good show

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All your reactions made me think that was gonna be a lot grosser than it was instead of just like quite odd

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

In season 3 Lovesick continues to be an intriguing dive into the increasingly terrible hairstyle and facial hair decisions of the male lead.

Oh, and there's also some romance and drama stuff too and it's pretty good. Why am I the only one watching this again?

I’m still extremely put off by the idea of watching a show by people who thought ‘Scrotal Recall’ was a good and funny name

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah it's just a good show dude. The two leads are very well-drawn.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd never even heard of it until it hit Netflix. Guess this is what I got for not watching any live TV anymore.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I agree that Skins seasons 1-2 are good, but man it got so bad later on

This is completely unrelated to anything but man why do people always bring up that scene in The Wire where they just say "gently caress" or variations thereof as one of the best TV scenes of all time? It's....not good. Especially when you consider how many other great Wire clips there are.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Didn’t we used to have a yearly thread with what shows were getting cancelled etc each TV season?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
watching the pilot of the wire and everyone is so young and fresh-faced omg MICHAEL B JORDAN IS AN ACTUAL BABY

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can’t believe that pile of junk is still going

also The Mayor got cancelled, which everyone saw coming, also I think I was the only one here watching it but I enjoyed it, definitely had less detestable characters than fuckin Last Man on Earth

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Quick every-so-often reminder that Eagleheart s3, one of the best comedy seasons of this decade, is on vimeo in an uncensored feature-length cut: https://vimeo.com/87108881

doesn’t include one of the eps, which was kind of a break from the serialised story but also one of the funniest ones, so that’s mixed. but this cut still works great. watch it everyone

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

That Han Solo movie is ostensibly coming out in 4 months and we haven't even seen a trailer yet. I have more faith in that lovely looking Krypton show.

It was already delayed to December, I thought. It will be either way.

Also Gelman never left Eagleheart

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He does have a reduced role in s3 but that’s the masterpiece season I posted the link to at the end of last page. It’s easily my favourite single season of TV to come out of Adult Swim.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

lmao it'll be a goddamn miracle if that thing is any good

I certainly have no interest in seeing it, though, and I say that as a Star Wars fan of almost 3 decades.

Aren’t you one of the weird monsters who doesn’t like Last Jedi

but yeah no way Solo is good. I had faith despite myself when it was Lord/Miller, but now? Forget it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s not worth it Arist. Just let the Wrong People live in their lil bubble.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

It would be very interesting to hear the full story about what happened but we probably never will. I think troubled productions are very interesting to read about.

The strangest one about this one is the story about the lead actor apparently not being able to act so they needed to get an acting coach for him, because I remember one panel he was on where he was explaining how the audition process lasted months; if you're auditioning this guy for that long, surely you would've realised that he's not cut out for it at some stage in the process?

Apparently his performance is the major thing LucasFilm are super happy with so yeah either someone’s conflating that with his character in Hail, Caesar! or just making poo poo up

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I remember him in is Caesar but god drat is he fantastic in that role. Steals the movie out from under a whole lot of a-listers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why would anyone describe th-that’s so silly

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Superrodan posted:

I have been watching some of Great News and am surprised I hadn't heard much from the people at SA. It's pretty much a spiritual successor to 30 Rock and Kimmy Schmidt, with Tina Fey producing it and the head writer being 30 Rock alumni. Although it's a little bit more generic, each episode has one or two gags that really catch me off guard.

Oh yeah I was actually gonna post this yesterday but I already had the last post in this thread lol

any 30 Rock fan who isn’t watching Great News is doing themselves a massive disservice. Aside from one insanely misguided episode on sexual harassment it’s been great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah we talked about it in the Community thread a bit but it’s a good, open confession and apology. It’s very good of her to forgive him, too.

One of his main points is that it’s so easy for men to not fully think about what they’re doing, which is just so drat true, from the position of someone who.....used to get infatuations far too often.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Mute, Netflix's other big neo-noir, cyberpunk, Blade Runner-inspired release of (as Duncan Jones just said on Twitter today) February 2018.

you lying motherfucker I got so excited then

The creator and showrunner of that Altered Carbon show has a pretty lovely resume but I’ll check it out sure why not

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
(re Mute I can’t be bothered to go back and edit the quote in) Ah ok, it was just earlier than today. I got bored going back because he retweets a lot of stuff. Apologies. Also gently caress YEAH

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Replace Jessica Jones with Atlanta and I’m all about Rarity’s post there

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^^^ dude same i'd forgotten about that line but it's amazing

Rocksicles posted:

Alone Together
with Esther Povitsky and Chris D'Elia, is loving awful millennial awfulness.

I can't exactly dispute this but also I really liked the first episode like a whole lot

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
CK’s apology was...I mean Lycus is right that it’s probably the best of anyone’s before Harmon, especially because he flat-out admitted it rather than try and skirt around it, but there was too much self-aggrandising with regards to how these women thought of him etc.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Sounds like her character from Better Off Ted.

In this case Portia is the character’s name, she’s played by Nicole Ritchie who is surprisingly good.

Also yeah wasn’t trying to defend CK at all

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love Netflix but it really has been a drag to see people slowly gravitate to only watching shows on there and not bothering to check out anything else.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I mean if the shows I want to watch aren't available on a streaming service I'm not going to watch them.

Yeah and my point is that this sucks.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Daveed Diggs is going to be the other lead in Snowpiercer, and he's one of the most charismatic presences I've ever seen. I think he's headed for superstardom. He already won a Tony for his dual roles as the Marquis de Lafayette and Thomas Jefferson in the original cast of Hamilton, and I saw him perform live last year with his alternative-noise-rap group clipping. He's another guy like Donald Glover who does EVERYTHING.

Daveed Diggs is fantastic which makes his completely miscast role in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt stand out all the more.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
First episode of Letterman’s Netflix show, with Obama, is out and it’s fascinating.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
His email is if anyone wants to send him your thoughts

Mod edit: Maybe don't do that,

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some people really try and find any excuse.