Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's an issue of respect for a dead human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't know, man. I take your meaning, but if I were in a dark and sad enough place that suicide felt like my only option, having a YouTube star gawk at my corpse in front of millions of people would probably warrant a complaint were I able.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

raditts posted:

This will not be good. It never is.
Beavis and Butt-Head is the sole exception.

Duck Tales.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Shockingly, the Clone Wars show actually makes Anakin into a great character, so don't let that stop you. Clone Wars is also very easy to watch because the stories come in 1-3 episode min-arcs that work as stand-alones in an anthology way, but all connect to the larger narrative. It really is a remarkable show from a storytelling perspective.

Rebels is pure garbage. It's incredibly derivative and brings nothing new to the table. It's characters are highly unlikeable and constantly make very stupid choices.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

One of more annoying 'things that LOST doesn't follow up on' moments is when Ben and Charles Widmore have their conversation and it's loaded with past history and about how one killing the other was against 'the rules' but it's never followed up on. Or the stuff with Jack's dad where it's eventually just decided that he's a form of the smoke monster but that's a huge retcon and doesn't explain his earlier appearances.

Or anything with Walt past Season 2.

I still like the show though. The first season is great and it almost always nailed all of its big turns.

What a coincidence, there was an article on LOST on Kotaku 3 days ago with the same talking points.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Clone Wars doesn't dumb down for kids. Rebels absolutely does.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

What? It has plenty of decapitations and murders and poo poo. Just this past season it had the empire using a weapon that disintegrated a bunch of people.

If you're talking about actual storytelling then I dunno. Rebels is one of the few official Star Wars things to like even touch on the fact that the force isn't just good/evil.

Yeah, I'm not talking about pulling punches with violence I'm talking about the piss-poor writing that needs to make everything incredibly broad and shallow. It's just a huge pet peeve of mine when storytellers assume that if younger kids are in their demographic they have to make everything as simple as possible. They may both be cartoons, but Rebels is purely a kid's show while Clone Wars is an all-ages show, and that's an important distinction.

And Clone Wars was the one to introduce ideas of the force beyond Jedi/Sith, Rebels is

e: I hit submit before I finished. I'm going to chalk it up to not caring enough about the subject at hand, so I'll go ahead and end my little sidebar now.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 8, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

If your setup requires a character from the future and also another planet to show up out of nowhere and give the exposition in order for your story to begin because the central character hasn't been born yet, you may not have a good story.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Metropolis posted:

I also think a Han Solo movie shouldn't just be a Star Wars movie centered on Han Solo, it should have more of what people like about the character even when he's not on screen. So a Han Solo movie should be a fun and cool madcap adventure/crime movie...

I'm getting pretty Over Star Wars these days, but the only thing I care about for that movie is them making Han a kinda lovely dude. Like, give us a Temple of Doom style prequel where he's all about fortune and glory and exploiting native peoples for their artifacts. Otherwise he has no arc in the rest of the films. Other than that I don't really care what it is as long as it's not RO/TFA-style boring.

(Then again I wish they'd left Han out of TFA and had him be the Benicio character from TLJ who got cynical after the fall of his son and fell back to his old ways. So what do I know.)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Do I have to listen to the whole thing or is there a timecode for the apology? I'm curious to hear his perspective, but

quote:

We hear about the drunk driver that hit Dan’s house, plus Jeff’s trip to India. Everyone questions Steve Levy’s doctor’s qualifications, but is glad he’s alive. While roleplaying, the gang stakes out an in-use restroom for a very, very long time.

doesn't sound interesting to me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Cool. Megan Ganz was on Community and I always wondered why she didn't take over the show when Harmon left, since at the time I was under the impression that she was his protege.

And yeah, Harmon is a very talented dude but he's really gotta figure out how to get over himself to make anything watchable that feels divorced from his ego.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Joel Kinneman looks so much like Alexander Skarsgard to me, which is strange since Skarsgard is starring in Mute, Netflix's other big neo-noir, cyberpunk, Blade Runner-inspired release of (as Duncan Jones just said on Twitter today) February 2018. Maybe they're trying to have Mute ride Altered Carbon's coattails? I would say the other way around, but we've heard suspiciously little about Mute other than the trailer.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

you lying motherfucker I got so excited then

http://www.slashfilm.com/mute-release-date/

:confused:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPos66MpHe8

I'm assuming this is going to be good solely because I like all those actors but we'll see.

This looks terrific. But I'm also a sucker for this sort of thing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

IRQ posted:

It was real and it was the hottest of garbage.

I wouldn't say that. The show wasn't amazing, but it scratched that "I want to watch some live-action Dungeons & Dragons" itch I get occasionally really well. I'd just fast-forward through the teen drama.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Guys. I just realized that Remington Steele with Pierce Brosnan and the Sharpe series with Sean Bean are two different things. I guess my brain thought "they're both a guy's name that describes a metal object with an extraneous 'e' at the end, and they both star a guy who would end up in Goldeneye. What's the difference?"

My Thomas Crowne Affair-loving rear end has some goddamn Brosnan to watch.

e: Also I should finally get around to watching Sharpe at some point. But mostly I'm pumped for charming handsome former thief.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 17, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I have been a Prime member for years and I've watched maybe two things on their platform. Both of these have been in my laptop browser, which I hate watching things on. I like to watch things on my Chromecast because it's an interfaceless device without a remote or unintuitive menus to navigate, just the apps I already use on my phone. But because Amazon decided to put out a competitor to Chromecast late in the game, they declined to allow for streaming to my preferred device (which would cost them a day of development time) to try to make me buy their copycat, just because they need that extra $30 to provide the same service. This is so anti-consumer, ugly, petty, and greedy that it makes me never want to watch anything else on Prime.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Early reviews of Altered Carbon are out and it sounds like the general consensus is that it's great, if perhaps lacking a bit of substance at times and having some wonky pacing. Book fans seem positive about it as an adaptation as well, despite the changes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They got 6/10 episodes for Altered Carbon.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

lelandjs posted:

I'd honestly love a behind-the-scenes about Lucasfilm (but that will never happen).

The closest thing to that is The Secret History of Star Wars essay on Marcia Lucas. Through the degree to which it's significant is debated.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Looten Plunder posted:

Spielberg and Scorsese are all time great directors but how do they let poo poo like Hank's accent in Catch Me If You Can and Dicaprio/Baldwin/Whalberg in The Departed slide?

Hank's accent in Catch Me If You Can is hilarious. His character would be a lot less charming were it authentic.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Animorphs would be better as a film trilogy that's not beholden to the story of the original than a long-running TV series. Better effects, higher immediate stakes, less filler.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I know of Imagine Dragons exclusively from their one song featured in Riverdale. I know of Impractical Jokers exclusively from a comedian I like mentioning them in podcast ads.

Not everyone consumes pop culture the same as you. The media landscape is too wide, varied, and splintered these days for everyone to know about everything, no matter how popular it is. A thing that you love and consider incredibly popular and relevant will be something a large portion of the population has never heard of because they're too busy loving something they consider incredibly popular and relevant that you've never heard of. Not knowing about one of those things doesn't make someone stupid or even willfully ignorant.

Also, yeah we're all old here. It's hard keeping up with the youths.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Popelmon posted:

You guys really like this intro? The music is fine but it looks like something that someone's 16 year old nephew cobbled together in an afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwGCIbK4LSg

Wow. That really is amateur-hour. I could definitely do that in a day, and I'm certainly not a professional motion graphics artist.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

The Expanse is the best sci-fi show on TV.

I've only watched season 1, but I'd caution anyone unfamiliar with the sho to take the glowing goon recommendation with a grain of salt. The show is great if you love what its doing, but its characters are just bland bland bland. I had to stop because I just didn't give a poo poo about any of the personality-less folks involved. But outside of that it was pretty great.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really wish Orville had been a derivative riff on the original Trek rather than TNG. A weekly dose of two-fisted space bravado would be way more enjoyable if they're not going to do anything new with it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

That’s called galaxy quest

I really hope the Amazon show keeps that aspect alive.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

lelandjs posted:

Why are the comedy writers so much better at Trek than everyone else?

Because the original series was already a very funny show that had a good amount of self awareness. When Trek takes itself too seriously it's not any good, but if you parody it you're laughing with it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hey, another opportunity to complain about how the Unbreakable sequel focused on Mr. Glass isn't called Breakable.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I feel bad for Fuller. He just seems like he's a dude who isn't willing to compromise his vision and drops out of projects when its clear he isn't going to get his way. It's a highly respectable quality as an artist, just not as a showrunner. The realities of compromise in Hollywood just seem a bit insurmountable if that's your attitude, unless you pull a Matthew Weiner and get a huge amount of bargaining power by having a huge hit show.

Still, though, I think it's commendable, if a bit suicidal for his career. We should be cheering him on for wanting to make the highest quality products. We just can't, you know, get attached to any that aren't already in the can.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He left during preproduction, but the story and much of the writing was done under his watch.

Though it's pretty far flung from his original concept, which was an anthology series where each season would jump around in time and tell a different story. I still really, really, really want that show.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So you're not going to subscribe to their ridiculously expensive monthly Stargate-only streaming service to watch the rest? Uh-oh. I think I might have found a flaw in their plan!!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
When is some hero company going to come along and bundle all of these television services together into one package that I can pay $80/month for??

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:same:

Edward Mass posted:

I wrote a big-rear end Facebook post about OTT streaming services, and I won't bore you by posting it here, but the main idea was that it's a bubble that's going to burst within five years. We already saw SeeSo fold, and that had Comcast backing it.

"backing it"

But yeah, agreed. Seeso was just bad strategy. The scale was all wrong—the group they targeted was just too small to support the amount of content they'd need to keep happy. It is still a general concept that could be done really well if it were able to capture the right underserved market. Unfortunately they went after alt-comedy/podcast fans (probably because they're model ad customers) who are anything but starved for content. They could pay money for a niche service, sure. Or they could just keep listening to the same free content that caters to those same interests and sensibilities. Especially ones that keep getting those same guests promoting their Seeso shows, avoiding the need to pay for the content in the first place.

How's that anime streaming one doing? I keep hearing about it in various places, it seems like that might be a really solid example of a sustainable streaming service.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That line was so edgy when I was 14

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

zoux posted:

I'm currently on one of my biennial "I forget how much I hate anime and try to get into a couple of series" jags and I watched some of Devilman Crybaby and it is bonkers for sure.[/url]

Dear lord

I occasionally do the same when I hear something with a cool premise, then watch it and realize that it's still anime and there's always a way to ruin a cool premise.

Though, and I know how cliche and oft-repeated this is, I started watching Cowboy Bebop again and that poo poo is still legit. I thought it was going to be awful since I hadn't seen it since I was a teenager but aside from the occasional melodramatic anime-ism, it's mostly just a drat fun, melancholy-tinged space Western with some great hard sci-fi tech.

Also, watching it as an adult it's astounding to see how much impact The Long Goodbye had on the characters, tone, and pace.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Oh God, that Death Wish remake that seems so, so poorly thought out is made by Eli Roth? That just makes so much sense now.

On my feed reader this morning there was an article titled "DEATH WISH Review: Pretty Much Exactly What You Expected" from Birth Movies Death with the subtitle "Drunk Uncle's new favorite movie!". I got a 404 when I clicked through which makes me think they accidentally published early and the embargo isn't up until tomorrow. But it sounds like it's as poorly thought out as we all thought.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's a pretty goddamn big overlap between people who believe that outrage culture is an issue and people who are pro Trump.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

You thought people complained about LOST before, but now it's in SPACE?! The critics are going to have a field day with this :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I can’t imagine having any sort of strong opinion on this one way or the other.

Diversity of voices in filmmaking is very much in the zeitgeist at the moment, and Disney just announced its next in a long line of white guy directors on National Women's Day in Women's History Month, right after Black Panther just released to a massive success in Black History Month. A lot of people are going to have opinions, regardless of the merits of Favreau as a filimmaker.