Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm on my third watch through of Patriot and it really is amazing.

Also, Chance is really loving good and I probably want to make a huge effort post about why sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

God I’m surprised that got renewed.

Me too, but it's great, because it's a cool show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I'm actually having a hard time coming up with a role where NPH isn't a villain.

I mean, Doogie Howser, I guess. But I haven't seen that in a long time so I can't be sure of it.

Roseanne has a nightmare where Doogie Howser gives her a breast enlargement rather than a breast reduction. So at the very least, he's played Doogie as a villain.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Uh, the ending to that arc is not at all like what happened in real life, though.

12 Oz Mouse is great.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well in Frisky Dingo s2 neither becomes president because it turns out they aren't eligible. Xander Cruise is too young and Killface has no documented existance as a citizen of any country.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Tin Star owns tho

We're the only two that think that.

Most people seem to think it's just a bad tryhard grimdark immitation of a bunch of other shows.

I've never seen another show that forces the viewer into the perspective of various characters so well.

Like the show is literally about judging characters based on how their actions seem from your limited perspective. So it's a story that's constantly showing characters do things for reasons that aren't explained to us. As we get more an more information about each character, things start to come together.

It's really well done and pretty damning of general grimdark badassery.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Travelers s2 was pretty good.

Def chexk it out if you liked the first season. If you didn't like the first season, it's not going to change your mind.

It doesn't really shore up any of the flaws, but it keeps doing what it's doing in an great way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think the biggest flaw in travellees is that there just isn't enough character development. It's like they toy with the idea, but thats like 5% of the show. Tmshe show is like 60% rote plot jargon and 35% really cool time travel ideas.

The story isn't really enough to carry the show without investment in the characters. The characters aren't developed enough to lend real stakes to the plot.

So you're left with some good ideas that are hardly ever explored. You do get some peeks at the characters, but a lot of that is cyclical. I feel like most of the characters individual stories were the same in both seasons.

Season 3 is going to have to really dig into the characters to work, and the show hasn't really demonstrated that it's capable of doing that.