Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/947588968845017088

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The Browns are unquestionably more talented than the 2008 Lions. Hue Jackson is the Mozart of sucking.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I'm not even sure that Hue Jackson is the best coach to ever go 0-16

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm so proud to welcome a new team to the 0-16 brotherhood along with my Lions. It's been real lonely at the bottom.

I also have to salute their ownership for somehow hitting a level of incompetence beyond "Keep Matt Millen as GM for way too long" and saying that they'll keep their head coach after an 0-16 season. Truly they are worthy rivals to the Lions both on and off the field!

Good point about the draft too, I mean no way any player turns down that #1 offer with all the money it inevitably contains, but man it's got to suck to go to the Browns. On the other hand, the last few times someone turned down playing for the team that drafted them #1 it was John Elway and Eli Manning, so maybe we'll see similar emergency backroom dealings in the next draft.

It's also worth noting that if you're super confident in your abilities you can become a true legend among a fanbase by turning around the team, hell Stafford's practically there for me and he hasn't even won a playoff game, just made the games more interesting to watch and created a sense that we have a shot in any given year.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Even if their record isn't entirely Hue's fault keeping him makes it look like they're still not trying. Free agents have probably already been avoiding Cleveland. Keeping Hue might be what it takes for a draft pick to refuse to sign.

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Is there any chance at all that Haslam is doing this so he can have a shot at moving the team?

Is that something he has ever wanted to do? My joke answer is maybe he wants to also move to LA??

They're just planning ahead and see that at least one of the current LA teams will fail again. They're planning so far ahead they already believe again that an LA team will work next time.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/947595299991801856

the glorious return of the st. louis browns

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Chuck Pagano was just fired. Indianapolis GM put out a statement:

“4-12 was unacceptable and we did not get the job done. Had we went 0-16 or even 1-15, we would have gladly brought Chuck back. The search for a new coach begins today.”

He also went on to say Hue will not be looked at for Indianapolis.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, Caldwell's on the hotseat and he's gone 9-7 and would probably have made the playoffs if they'd just beaten the crappy Bengals, or Tate makes it literally half a yard further in the last play vs. Atlanta, or the clock is managed the way it actually probably should have been at the end of that game (even with the 10 second runoff Tate was down with 11 seconds on the clock, so if while they were looking at they play a dozen times they'd bothered to note the exact time he was down I feel like the Lions should have had one last snap to work with, and yes I'm still bitter about that but that's just Lions.txt in action).

Seeing that they want to keep Hue is hilarious.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Congrats Cleveland. :toot:

Pretty sure that the plan from here is to win one more game every year until they go undefeated in 2033. Can't start doing that unless you start from the bottom. *taps forehead*

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
This is the greatest night in the history of our sport!

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ3plaSowWc

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thank you, Hue, for working so hard to take the mantle of "Worst HC in the history of the league" from Gus Bradley.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'm sad my team ruined 0-32

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Poor Brownies.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Ancient native american rituals say in order to reverse these sports curses you need to pollute your river and set it on fire again

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Serious question, how many games in a row do the Browns need to lose before the league steps in with emergency measures like an expansion draft to try and save them?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
the browns are going to have the 1 and 4 overall, plus a giant mess of later round picks. What would be the substantial difference between that and an expansion draft?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

a patagonian cavy posted:

the browns are going to have the 1 and 4 overall, plus a giant mess of later round picks. What would be the substantial difference between that and an expansion draft?

Then the league should make the picks for them since they can't be trusted.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Didn't the NHL force the Oilers to get their poo poo together after they got McDavid?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Let the Browns have a 70 man roster with double the salary cap.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I think you could conceivably have the full 2017 Browns roster play against a single member of an opposing team and still only manage 2 wins at best

Which I'm aware would still be an improvement post-2015

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Serious question, how many games in a row do the Browns need to lose before the league steps in with emergency measures like an expansion draft to try and save them?

It will never happen. They let Al Davis destroy the Raiders for a decade long after he was clearly senile.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
They did it

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

It will never happen. They let Al Davis destroy the Raiders for a decade long after he was clearly senile.

Hue Jackson was involved there, too

:thunk:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
And soon begins the moment the Browns begin a build towards a 10 year dominating dynasty. 10 superbowls, all in a row. The cosmos and eternity balance. The sign is foretold of the retirement of Brady and the sacrifice of Rothlesburger.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

it took a bizarre play for the nfl to force the giants to get a real gm in the late 70's

after 15 years of futility

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gatts posted:

And soon begins the moment the Browns begin a build towards a 10 year dominating dynasty. 10 superbowls, all in a row. The cosmos and eternity balance. The sign is foretold of the retirement of Brady and the sacrifice of Rothlesburger.

Nah they’re going to claw their way to success. Starting with a 6-10 wild card entry after the rest of the division collapses.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
who the gently caress unpinned this thread

it deserves a throne of glory

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

sirtommygunn posted:

"Any QB that doesn't have the blinding self-confidence to think they can turn that franchise around lacks the "it" factor and will be a failure in the NFL regardless of location" - an actual NFL scout I'm sure.

They already tried this with Kizer.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The biggest thing holding the Browns back is that at no level of the Browns organization are they willing to admit they are years away from being competitive

they keep naively believing they are one big signing or draft away from being competitors and that attitude has hindered them for a decade now

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
That Coleman play is just astounding.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The biggest thing holding the Browns back is that at no level of the Browns organization are they willing to admit they are years away from being competitive

they keep naively believing they are one big signing or draft away from being competitors and that attitude has hindered them for a decade now

No team is more than three years from being competitive. The Browns just suck at everything.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Shangri-Law School posted:

No team is more than three years from being competitive.

The Browns couldn't be competitive in three years if they had a genie

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Gatts posted:

Trust the process.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
If I'm drafted by Cleveland, even in the 7th round, I'm asking for the entire contract to be guaranteed money or I walk

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the browns should join the xfl they might actually get a winning season out of the move

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

If I'm drafted by Cleveland, even in the 7th round, I'm asking for the entire contract to be guaranteed money or I walk

This. And I want the deal Gary Anderson had with the Titans where I show up for the games and you leave me the hell alone the rest of the week.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Let the Browns have a 70 man roster with double the salary cap.

Haslam would pilfer the funds like he did with his truck stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I love a parade.

• Locked thread