Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Turdsdown Tom posted:

THEY loving DID IT AND I AM SO PROUD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

the browns are going to have the 1 and 4 overall, plus a giant mess of later round picks. What would be the substantial difference between that and an expansion draft?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Randaconda posted:

They're not going to be competitive for a while, so it might not be totally dumb to skip a QB this year, and trade that number one for some more picks and shore up other places.

they've done this for multiple years running and just went 0-16 so I don't think that it's a viable strategy somehow

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Get Kaep, Browns. Do it.

they should've done this a full year ago. why would they wise up and do it now

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

evilweasel posted:

What's not clear from the OverTheCap description is if Brees can void it, both sides can void it, or it automatically voids. Based on the structure I think there's no way it's a team option cause no way in hell was Brees willing to play for the $6m a year it calls for in the three voided years: its definitely going to void somehow if not extended. Both sites are a little fuzzy on the exact contract mechanic there though.

that $6m a year is just the prorated signing bonus. it accelerates if he gets cut

the saints have gotten a lot better about cap management but they paid about $2.7 million this year for a few lovely games of Adrian Peterson, and then traded him to the Cardinals who paid about $500k for the rest of the season if I'm reading spotrac correctly so they're not, yanno, good at it yet

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

evilweasel posted:

Gotcha, so those years are definitely automatically voided. Dunno why that's a contract type that exists, but I guess it does!

they're just going to kick the can further down the road and sign Brees to a contract that gives him $25m or so in the 2018 season.

And when I say "it accelerates if he gets cut", I mean against the cap. That's why on spotrac, it shows that there's an $18m cap hit if he's cut right now. Drew already has that money, it's just for cap wizard reasons that it doesn't also count against the cap in that first year.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

It's completely because of how signing bonuses are treated under the cap- The bonus has been prorated to be spread across the 5 years after signing and accelerates to the current year if (for whatever reason) the player is no longer on the team. It's in the spotrac notes that Drew's contract auto-voids (because he will be a free agent, and thus no longer on the team) at the end of the league year. Because of that, if the Saints don't re-sign him, the remaining bonus cap hit all accelerates to hit in the 2018 league year.

All of this is moot because Drew is going to be playing QB for the New Orleans Saints in 2018.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Gatts posted:

Theoretically....could such a team go to the playoffs?

It’s just an 8-8 team essentially so yes

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

GyroNinja posted:

You're not thinking big enough. If every game in the season ended in a tie, then every playoff team would have to be 0-0-16.

also I think all the tiebreakers wouldn't discriminate so the playoff teams would all be determined by a ton of coin flips

or maybe they'd just call off the playoffs that year

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

WalletBeef posted:

So what are the chances that the Browns draft a good qb and become a winning team?

Historical evidence suggests 0%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Is it the Chiefs that haven't had a touchdown thrown by a QB they drafted in like 50 years?

It might’ve been “game won by QB they drafted” but in any case it was broken when Mahomes started in Week 17

• Locked thread