Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

My friend roots for the Patriots, the Spurs, Manchester United and Real Madrid. Sometimes that makes me angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Shangri-Law School posted:

My friend roots for the Patriots, the Spurs, Manchester United and Real Madrid. Sometimes that makes me angry.

I have a friend who roots for Steelers, Penguins, Red Sox and Celtics . infuriating

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Not as bad as someone who rooted for the Yankees, Lakers, and Cowboys circa 2001.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

:sever:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

axeil posted:

My following of the Phillies the past few years has been "they're bad, I do not want to watch this", maybe knowing a few players' names and cheering for Chase Utley in LA.

It's a number of things.

A certain type of bandwagoning, where you don't care and then follow is okay. But what isn't okay is that combined with unrelenting poo poo-talking and then not sticking around to eat crow when you're back to sucking. I hate poo poo-talking in general because it's juvenile as gently caress since nothing any of us do will impact how our teams play but it's slightly more okay when you've been a fan of a team for 20 years and know their history inside and out.

Alternatively, fans who constantly jump from popular team to popular team or pick teams because they're popular as an adult are also annoying because they have no loyalty. I mean if they do that and then don't claim to be long-suffering its fine, but it's always the team-jumpers who cry about how hard it's been for say the Astros when 5 years ago they were ardent Rangers fans.

edit: and bandwagoning on uber-popular teams is really irritating because most hardcore fans of a sport have already gotten sick of the Yankees/Red Sox, Pats/Steelers, Warriors, etc. and would appreciate other teams getting some time in the sun.

My point is though. Why does it matter what they do? Who the gently caress cares if they are pretending to be long standing fans, that doesn't effect you in anyway apart from pissing you off. It doesn't diminish from a teams accomplishments and in the end. Most fan bases are lovely anyway regardless of the bandwagoners.

Also why should you have loyalty to a team. Especially if that team constantly brings you anguish. I'm not a bandwagoner but I can totally see why people do it. Especially if the sport is not one you are super into (e.g UK fans and American Football).

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
This will be my last word for a while about the Ravens:

If we have an opportunity to bring in Kubiak and Pagano, DO IT. Do everything you can to get them in. None of this bs about "we cant have two new coordinators at once'. Both these guys have worked for this same coach and QB.

We've had good coordinators on both sides of the ball during Harbaughs tenure, the problem being theyve all been poached. With Kubiak and Pagano you have two guys who for various reasons will probably not be getting coaching offers. Not for pleasant reasons but this is a business. Harbaugh is often described as "not an X's and O's guy" and for someone like that to work you need proven coordinators. This is our chance. If we fail, dont let it be for a stupid reason like "well we cant have two new guys".

Let the offseason begin.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Kawalimus posted:

This will be my last word for a while about the Ravens:

lol OK

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

My point is though. Why does it matter what they do? Who the gently caress cares if they are pretending to be long standing fans, that doesn't effect you in anyway apart from pissing you off. It doesn't diminish from a teams accomplishments and in the end. Most fan bases are lovely anyway regardless of the bandwagoners.

Also why should you have loyalty to a team. Especially if that team constantly brings you anguish. I'm not a bandwagoner but I can totally see why people do it. Especially if the sport is not one you are super into (e.g UK fans and American Football).

It is annoying when they complain about their extremely successful teams as much or even more than fans of dreck like the Lions. They don't ruin my day or anything, but it's frustrating.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Go Spurs

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Not an empty quote

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

According to an article, the New York Jets are the NFL team most like the Tottenham Hotspurs.

It is a nonsense article though.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

I have a friend who roots for Steelers, Penguins, Red Sox and Celtics . infuriating

I could see that being reasonable for someone with roots in Pittsburgh and Boston. Take the Pittsburgh teams, take the Celtics because no Pittsburgh basketball, and not root for a baseball team that has like 6 winning seasons in the past 40 years.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sono posted:

I could see that being reasonable for someone with roots in Pittsburgh and Boston. Take the Pittsburgh teams, take the Celtics because no Pittsburgh basketball, and not root for a baseball team that has like 6 winning seasons in the past 40 years.

its bullshit is what it is

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Sad King Billy posted:

According to an article, the New York Jets are the NFL team most like the Tottenham Hotspurs.

it's almost impossible to compare NFL teams to soccer teams in England because of promotion, relegation and the whole "parity" thing

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I am rooting for the Bills to make the Super Bowl and for any NFC team to win it. Everyone should have that opportunity and it's hosed up the Bills gave it to the Cowboys twice. Imho.

go Lakers, Broncos, and... Athletics?!!!???

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Joe Thomas got us a gift that keeps on giving.

https://twitter.com/MylesLGarrett/status/948369021547708416

Lena Dunham
Sep 19, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaG5SAw1n0c

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

gently caress yeah! GO SPURS GO!!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Sad King Billy posted:

Nah. spurs are more like Panthers or Falcons. They are usually in the mix for the top team but do really stupid poo poo that costs them too many games and they end up falling short.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

CyberPingu posted:

Nah. spurs are more like Panthers or Falcons. They are usually in the mix for the top team but do really stupid poo poo that costs them too many games and they end up falling short.

The Spurs won 5 championships... Yeah they fall short sometimes but it's the difference between 5 rings and maybe 8. Didn't help that for a while there the team was really old.

I mean, it's only been like 4 years since they crushed Miami in the finals when a lot of people said the Heat would sweep them.

E: totally whiffed. Didn't realize there was a soccer spurs and just yeah I'm dumb.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 3, 2018

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Fenrir posted:

The Spurs won 5 championships... Yeah they fall short sometimes but it's the difference between 5 rings and maybe 8. Didn't help that for a while there the team was really old.

I mean, it's only been like 4 years since they crushed Miami in the finals when a lot of people said the Heat would sweep them.

E: totally whiffed. Didn't realize there was a soccer spurs and just yeah I'm dumb.

Yeah should have clarified. Tottenham Hotspur.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

:agreed: #COYS #COYS #COYS

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Sono posted:

I took the Eagles and Phillies from when I lived around Philly and the Wizards and Capitals from my time in DC.

I'm currently boycotting the Capitals though because Ovi can't take Putin's cock out of his throat.

And I don't think anyone will accuse people of bandwagonning the friggin' Wizards

edit: The reason people get mad about bandwagoners is because they have a complete lack of perspective. It's like the kid from the McMansion complaining about how hard his life is to the kid who's on food stamps.

The "lost season" post wasn't funny because it was a meltdown, it was funny because the person who made it had no idea that fans from pretty much every other team would trade all their teams' problems for the Pats' problems that year.

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 3, 2018

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I thought the 'lost season' post was about the Giants, not the Patriots

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

"Spectacular Failure" was the Giants, "Lost Season" was the Patriots.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

SKULL.GIF posted:

I thought the 'lost season' post was about the Giants, not the Patriots

No that was decade of spectacular failure.

Efb

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Lost Season was 2011, wasn’t it? cause they lost back to back games at one point?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

WHOOPS posted:

Lost Season was 2011, wasn’t it? cause they lost back to back games at one point?

No, it was even funnier. They were 2-1. A year the Pats made the Super Bowl you had someone complaining about a lost season after they dropped a game to the Bills.

One of only 2 wins the Bills have had against the Pats in the Brady era.

It's easily one of the most insane, out-of-touch football-related things I've ever seen posted.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I am referring to the San Antonio Spurs

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I started supporting the Spurs before I knew they were basically the Pats of the NBA at the time. I turned on a game with like 2 mins to go. With 0.2s left (possibly in OT) the spurs scored to win the game and since then I thought "yeah, gently caress it these guys are cool".

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I've become a big fan of Gregg Popovich ever since he started dunking on Trump

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I used to hate the Spurs due to the Lakers rivalry but that grew into grudging respect because Pop is too good. Then they beat the Heat and won my heart.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I literally wore a Hotspur scarf to work today lmao

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Tayter Swift posted:

I literally wore a Hotspur scarf to work today lmao

Ooft settle down lad. Whatever will you do next??

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'm watching the Spurs on my television right now :tinfoil:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Ross, would you be in a permanent state of ejaculation if Lebron joined the Spurs next year?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I've got spurs that jingle-jangle-jingle

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Alaois posted:

I've got spurs that jingle-jangle-jingle

You bastard.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

weird Asian candy posted:

Ross, would you be in a permanent state of ejaculation if Lebron joined the Spurs next year?

I sure as gently caress would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

weird Asian candy posted:

My 2nd favorite player of all time joining my favorite player of all time on the same team? God yes

• Locked thread