Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It almost seems like the Rams and Saints both laid down hoping to get the practical second round bye against Nick Foles. I think there's a better than usual chance they end up playing each other in the NFCCG though, so maybe not the best strategy for the Rams in particular who pretty much openly tanked their Week 17 game to get the 4 seed (but the Saints took it back by letting the loving Buccaneers drive like 90 yards on them)

Seems weird that both teams apparently want to play the Panthers. They're not going to win 3 straight playoff games but I'd be terrified of them in any one game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Has a #1 seed ever been a betting underdog in the second round before?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Randaconda posted:

Gonna be hard to beat the Steelers twice, assuming the Jags get past the Bills.

Fortunately for the Jaguars, they only have to beat the Steelers once to advance to the AFC Championship

e: I agree Jaguars/Steelers is about 50-50, maybe 60-40 in favor of the Steelers, and I agree the Jaguars are a worse matchup for the Patriots than the Steelers are--but not by much. Jaguars would be like maaaaaybe 10% to go into New England and win.

I think Belichick would rather play Pittsburgh because he fully expects to win either way, but Jacksonville would beat Brady up pretty good along the way and Pittsburgh wouldn't

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 1, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The spread probably wouldn't quite get to Jaguars +13 in an AFCCG matchup with the Patriots because the Jaguars will be coming off beating the Steelers and "the Jaguars are just like those Giants teams and the 2015 Broncos!!!" is a burgeoning meme. It would probably still be well over +7 though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Patriots were -12.5 in SB42 and that line was legit. Once in a while you roll a natural 20

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Let me tell you more about how much I hate my team that has had five playoff appearances, a championship and one losing season in the past 10 years

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, I made the edit to clarify, though it wasn't a pristine pass or anything.

I don't care how many Ravens fans agree with your warped view of the world--the offense is what killed the Ravens this year. Over and over, almost across the board, with the exception of Collins. Bad line, bad receivers, poor QB play.

I that that 39-38 Steelers game a few weeks ago with Roethlisberger throwing for 500 yards on them was really traumatic for Ravens fans

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

When all's said and done, I wonder just how many people will end up losing their jobs because Joe Flacco quit giving a poo poo the minute he signed his megacontract

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Losing a lead to the Patriots, now there's a super rare thing that can only mean your defensive coordinator is terrible

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There's nothing wrong with bandwagon fans who just lose interest when the team isn't great. It's a small subset of bandwagon fans who carry on acting like they've been diehard loyal fans through thick and thin but if you talk to them it becomes immediately clear they can only name 4 players on the current team much less the team that sucked 5 years ago, those guys are unbelievably obnoxious

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Rice's game was all about the crafty routes when he was old as hell and still catching 100 passes a year, but when he was young he was a loving burner no one could keep up with, too. His 40 time was unimpressive but in pads no one could catch him. Sometime in the late 80s Ralph Wiley wrote about Rice, "He has three gears: fast, very fast, and gone."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

swickles posted:

That year Bettis had the best stat lines and was a fantasy god. He would have like 4 rush, -1 yards, 2 TDs stat lines.

To be precise, Bettis's legendary fantasy game was 5 carries, 1 yard, 3 touchdowns.

They should have engraved that on his HOF bust

e: Like a lot of RBs, Bettis liked to dance around in the backfield playing pretend he was Barry Sanders. He could really truckstick people and he would have been a lot better if he'd used the Emmitt Smith/Terrell Davis style of pick your hole, make one cut and go straight forward as far as you can get. There were a lot of plays where Bettis danced around in the backfield and lost 2-3 yards when he could have gained 2 yards instead if he'd just lowered his head and plowed forward. That would have added up a lot over his long career.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I thought lowering dome and plowing forward was what he was known for though? Like, that's why he was called The Bus?

Yes because he would do hilarious and awesome things like flatten Brian Urlacher once or twice a game and they would be on all the highlights. The 5 times a game he tried to bounce a run outside, juked and spun and lost 2 yards were never on Sportscenter.

• Locked thread