Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

shyduck posted:

Nick Foles sucks

as does sudafed.

we're screwed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Thaddius the Large posted:

Bandwagon fans are people experiencing joy through sports, nothing wrong with that. It’s the people who sit through miserable, boring, futile seasons and self-righteously laud themselves for fandom purity who are truly insufferable. Except Browns fans, they’ve earned that martyrdom.

12s are insufferably smug though and the seahawks' continued shittiness makes them all run away and not post here any more which is a good thing.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I think there is also nothing wrong with not following sports teams while they are actively trying to be not good. This isn't really a problem in the NFL, where actively tanking is pretty rare, but it's fine to ignore your favorite NBA/MLB team that is in some dreadful rebuild period.

My following of the Phillies the past few years has been "they're bad, I do not want to watch this", maybe knowing a few players' names and cheering for Chase Utley in LA.

CyberPingu posted:

Why do people care about bandwagon fans though? Who really cares if someone jumps team and pretends to be diehard fan. That doesn't and shouldn't effect you.

It's a number of things.

A certain type of bandwagoning, where you don't care and then follow is okay. But what isn't okay is that combined with unrelenting poo poo-talking and then not sticking around to eat crow when you're back to sucking. I hate poo poo-talking in general because it's juvenile as gently caress since nothing any of us do will impact how our teams play but it's slightly more okay when you've been a fan of a team for 20 years and know their history inside and out.

Alternatively, fans who constantly jump from popular team to popular team or pick teams because they're popular as an adult are also annoying because they have no loyalty. I mean if they do that and then don't claim to be long-suffering its fine, but it's always the team-jumpers who cry about how hard it's been for say the Astros when 5 years ago they were ardent Rangers fans.

edit: and bandwagoning on uber-popular teams is really irritating because most hardcore fans of a sport have already gotten sick of the Yankees/Red Sox, Pats/Steelers, Warriors, etc. and would appreciate other teams getting some time in the sun.

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 2, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Sono posted:

I could see that being reasonable for someone with roots in Pittsburgh and Boston. Take the Pittsburgh teams, take the Celtics because no Pittsburgh basketball, and not root for a baseball team that has like 6 winning seasons in the past 40 years.

I took the Eagles and Phillies from when I lived around Philly and the Wizards and Capitals from my time in DC.

I'm currently boycotting the Capitals though because Ovi can't take Putin's cock out of his throat.

And I don't think anyone will accuse people of bandwagonning the friggin' Wizards

edit: The reason people get mad about bandwagoners is because they have a complete lack of perspective. It's like the kid from the McMansion complaining about how hard his life is to the kid who's on food stamps.

The "lost season" post wasn't funny because it was a meltdown, it was funny because the person who made it had no idea that fans from pretty much every other team would trade all their teams' problems for the Pats' problems that year.

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 3, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

WHOOPS posted:

Lost Season was 2011, wasn’t it? cause they lost back to back games at one point?

No, it was even funnier. They were 2-1. A year the Pats made the Super Bowl you had someone complaining about a lost season after they dropped a game to the Bills.

One of only 2 wins the Bills have had against the Pats in the Brady era.

It's easily one of the most insane, out-of-touch football-related things I've ever seen posted.

• Locked thread