Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The best philosophy that helped me is stuff that pisses me off. Singer's "Famine, Affluence, and Morality" is grade A holy poo poo this is how the world should work. Also Shock Doctrine made me sick and super mad which motivates me to help others. ymmv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

Go read The Sirens of Titan

Seconded.
I'm rereading Le Guin's The Dispossessed right now (cos it'd be rude not to) and drat I'd forgotten quite how much really good thought she can compress into the story without making it overly dense, preachy or indigestible.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

One must imagine Sisyphus posting.

"One must imagine Sisyphus happy" scrawled on a toilet stall wall in Glasgow Central station was my favourite piece of graffiti. Having a shite, thinking about Sisyphus.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Josef bugman posted:

Heya everyone. I am trying to improve myself as a person and wanted to ask if there were any books that help with that/ have helped you to think about things in a different way/ you would recommend people read.

I am currently trying to work my way through the meditations by Marcus Aurelius and finding them worthy but in a very irritating way, it is all personal responsibility whilst never examining larger problems.

Hope everyone is well.

Marcus Aurelius is excellent, and I found a lot of important thoughts in the Meditations, but as a war emperor who spent much of his reign on the frontier, he had a very specific view of what was required of him and what he could do. Even if he wanted to make significant changes to the Empire he wasn't really positioned to do it because he was almost constantly leading the Legions in defense of the border. As a sadbrains myself I got the very strong impression that he was sadbrains as all hell on top of not really wanting to be Emperor and certainly not one who had to be in constant war. The beliefs he expressed in the Meditations were probably the only way he could keep himself from either offing himself or going Full Caligula. So I found them of immense personal value because I'm never giving in to my sadbrains if I can help it and my ability to change the world is limited; but that doesn't mean he's the sole or whole worthy philosopher you could read because, as pointed out, his view was rather limited in scope.

The other great stoic is, of course, Chairman Sheng-ji Yang :v:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
You must begin a reading program immediately so that you may understand the crises of our age. Begin with the late Romans, including Boethius, of course. Then you should dip rather extensively into early Medieval. You may skip the Renaissance and the Enlightenment. That is mostly dangerous propaganda. Now that I think of it, you had better skip the Romantics and the Victorians, too. For the contemporary period, you should study some selected comic books. I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
my favorite philosopher is kierkegaard

yes i have depression

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Josef bugman posted:

Any particular recommendations for sociology books?

The stuff I posted. Thinking Fast And Slow and Smile Or Die.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Unkempt posted:

You must begin a reading program immediately so that you may understand the crises of our age. Begin with the late Romans, including Boethius, of course. Then you should dip rather extensively into early Medieval. You may skip the Renaissance and the Enlightenment. That is mostly dangerous propaganda. Now that I think of it, you had better skip the Romantics and the Victorians, too. For the contemporary period, you should study some selected comic books. I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.

Rorschach was the only good guy.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I like Charles Duhigg’s The Power is Habit. It seems like it might be some hippie dippy bullshit, it it’s an interesting look at how habits form and how you can hijack the process to help yourself.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Stoicism was a huge aid in getting myself back on track after dropping out of uni a few years ago after going through one of the worst years of my life. Marcus Aurelius' Meditations were a great help in this because its a short book with lots of memorable lines that you can fall back on in poo poo moments to help you pick yourself back up again. Ultimately it was a way of building up some sense of strength after struggling for so long.

On the other hand, when I was reading "Ego is the Enemy" by Ryan Holiday, a guy who seems to centre his entire world view around stoicism, and it includes a paragraph or two where he attacks people who complain about unpaid internships. Because god forbid companies actually pay people for their labour.

I'm not saying that stoicism is an ideological friend of liberalism, but I do think it says a lot that its had a resurgence over the past decade, and its either used by people who are eager to navigate their unfair, lovely lives, or as another way of attacking those people.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Stoicism is essentially tightenthebelt.mobi so not wholly unsurprising.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

cis autodrag posted:

my favorite philosopher is kierkegaard

yes i have depression

What else do you even read in Kierkegaard once you've got that diary quote about hating parties?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Coohoolin posted:

Stoicism is essentially tightenthebelt.mobi so not wholly unsurprising.

whats node.js

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi is a pro read. There's a free translation online somewhere if you Google it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Urgh christ that Danish stuff is absolutely inedible. Is that actually what bread is like in Denmark because how can one country get half the basis for a bacon sandwich so right and the other half so utterly, earth shatteringly wrong if so?

Every time I've visited Denmark and found myself eating bread it's been rye bread, it's terrible yet they're real fond of it for some reason

I prefer spelt bread myself

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I prefer to help others during the day then go home to an empty house and try not to think about the fact that I'm not going to live forever

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lol oblivion's gonna be great fun, and in my happiest moments I am often reminded that one day my lame consciousness will be gone forever and oh my god I'm so scared what does nothing at all forever even mean gently caress

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/huwlemmey/status/958645025461690369

Guido Fawkes with that perfect irony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

It's February.

• Locked thread