Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I usually do one of these to watch Marr with on a Sunday.

Way to attach the picture, me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

That's not a 3L of frosty jack though :confused:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Party Boat posted:

Nah nothing that far back, there's lots of theories but it's probably a nickname for George that got associated with pitmen and the region in general.

I heard it was to do with the Jacobite rebellions, when Newcastle declared loyalty to King George while rural Northumberland was generally sympathetic to the rebels. Unsure of the accuracy though!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Heya everyone. I am trying to improve myself as a person and wanted to ask if there were any books that help with that/ have helped you to think about things in a different way/ you would recommend people read.

I am currently trying to work my way through the meditations by Marcus Aurelius and finding them worthy but in a very irritating way, it is all personal responsibility whilst never examining larger problems.

Hope everyone is well.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Mein Kampf

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Anchovies are tasty. As is herring.

And if you fuckers declare that herring is bourgeois somehow then i'mma abduct you to some place in Northern Europe and throw youse into the nearest frozen lake

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
I have never had herring, I think, but anchovies are tasty, especially on pizza.

I also like a variety of cheese and toppings on my pizza (not evenly mixed). Every slice should not be the same!

haakman
May 5, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Heya everyone. I am trying to improve myself as a person and wanted to ask if there were any books that help with that/ have helped you to think about things in a different way/ you would recommend people read.

I am currently trying to work my way through the meditations by Marcus Aurelius and finding them worthy but in a very irritating way, it is all personal responsibility whilst never examining larger problems.

Hope everyone is well.

You want a book which covers a humanistic view of society? Reinforcement that mankind is a creative being, a noble and social being whose limits are effectively none, which also examines larger problems which effectively keep down the essence of the species in general, estranging mankind from its very self and others? A book which also happens to deconstruct these large, structural problems and potentially offers a fix?

Might have something for you if that's the case.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

haakman posted:

You want a book which covers a humanistic view of society? Reinforcement that mankind is a creative being, a noble and social being whose limits are effectively none, which also examines larger problems which effectively keep down the essence of the species in general, estranging mankind from its very self and others? A book which also happens to deconstruct these large, structural problems and potentially offers a fix?

Might have something for you if that's the case.

Would it be Das Kapital by any chance?

I mean I am planning on reading this and other stuff, but I am just interested in improving what I read and how much I read.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Try Daniel Kahnemann "thinking fast and slow". May have misspelled his last name but that's the title. Barbara Ehrenreich "smile or die" might also hit the ticket.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Self help books are a weird idea to me, never been able to really get my head around them.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

I'm trying to lose the entire Christmas ham of fat that's still attached to my stomach and I'm hungry, this isn't helping :mad:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Josef bugman posted:

Hope everyone is well.

In my life experience that's normal experience with Stoic philosophy irritatingly self serving but still making good points.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

OwlFancier posted:

Self help books are a weird idea to me, never been able to really get my head around them.

I'm glad some people get good out of them but same here.

In fact, all I can think of when the term comes up is the George Carlin joke about how a self-help book written by somebody else isn't self-help, its help.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I know. I'd prefer a self-help book that isn't a self-help book. Whilst I know I am an idiot I still roll my eyes when those sorts of books roll out the platitudes.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

I mean I am planning on reading this and other stuff, but I am just interested in improving what I read and how much I read.

Das Kapital is an economics textbook tbh. The Communist Manifesto is a much better read.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Hope everyone is well.

If you're into stoicism Seneca's letters are much more educational than the Meditations, and intentionally so - Aurelius was writing to and for himsf with no intentions of publication. Seneca was writing for posterity and even kept copies of his own outgoing letters to ensure their preservation. He's also just a good and fun writer with a flair for conveying ideas that seems to transcend language.

But really just buy the collected sayings and anecdotes of Diogenes, he's a far better role model than any Stoic.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

:ussr:

But in all seriousness read some sociology. It won't make you feel better per se but it will make you think differently about the world, and, at least to me, allow you to come to terms with the fact the world is a lovely place and it's lovely because we made it that way.... that or misanthropic, existential nihilism - YMMV.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Illuyankas posted:

stilton is a blue cheese and extremely proper

my sister made it to 23 before finding out it's Woo-ster, not Wer-sess-ter

Never ask an American. War-kester-shirry sauce.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

haakman posted:

:ussr:

But in all seriousness read some sociology. It won't make you feel better per se but it will make you think differently about the world, and, at least to me, allow you to come to terms with the fact the world is a lovely place and it's lovely because we made it that way.... that or misanthropic, existential nihilism - YMMV.

Any particular recommendations for sociology books?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I mean I know. I'd prefer a self-help book that isn't a self-help book. Whilst I know I am an idiot I still roll my eyes when those sorts of books roll out the platitudes.

I mean generally the idea of reading books to improve yourself. The only time I've ever read anything was either fiction for fun or occasionally nonfiction if I need to win an argument.

Even communism I already had the basic groundwork and inclination thanks to growing up where I did and how I did, books just gave me some new words to express it in. It's really odd to me that some people can read stuff and have like, revelatory experiences from them, or (want to) change their lives as a result.

I don't think I've ever had any experience like that in my life much less from reading something. But I know people who are like that. Impossible to properly empathize with though, an experience I have no reference point for.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lmao Sky are still streaming this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XanVOkqHfLg

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Ancient-philosopher chat: Epicurus is the best :colbert:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I really liked existentialism and humanism, which as a lecture transcript is short and easy to read and gently caress me being and nothingness (Sartre's huge written piece) is, like most continental philosophy, indecipherable gibberish.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Zephro posted:

Ancient-philosopher chat: Epicurus is the best :colbert:

Agreed. Also Seneca was an rear end in a top hat.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Josef bugman posted:

Hope everyone is well.

have u read the bibel

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's the reason judges would wear a black cloth over their heads when passing sentence of death, so God couldn't see them doing something that was supposed to be reserved to him. Why only the death sentence, and why the inch of horsehair already on their head wasn't an effective omnipotence-denial shield, and why the big man wouldn't also be pissed off with them wearing silk stockings and robes with cloth trousers, I have no idea.
I mean at least Judaism has turned this sort of silly rules-lawyering into self-knowing high farce, Christians just seem to be a bit hypocritically ashamed of it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

See that just opens up all sorts of options for experimental theology. What materials specifically can God not see through? Can you synthesize a material that blocks divine intervention? Can you, in fact, create a deiphobic force field and what happens if you do? Does it repel popes? If you strapped the force field to a pope could the pope then use it to fly around? Would this result in an alternate timeline involving the immediate reconquista of England by the papal states and their flying swiss guard shock troops the moment Henry VIII tried to excommunicate himself?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 31, 2018

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

OwlFancier posted:

See that just opens up all sorts of options for experimental theology. What materials specifically can God not see through? Can you synthesize a material that blocks divine intervention? Can you, in fact, create a deiphobic force field and what happens if you do?

gently caress if its not spandex im in deep poo poo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

Any particular recommendations for sociology books?
Goffman's Presentation of Self in Everyday Life is an interesting one. I'm not sure it's self-help (or necessarily help even) but it's an interesting outer view of interactions in a 'you're maybe a giant weird who's faking it, but so is everyone' kind of way, from a sociology point of view.

e: ^^^ It's latex, that's why the pope hates condoms, it stops god seeing your dick.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 31, 2018

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Isn't that wrong because we need to make a deal by December or something so it has time to go through the EU parliament?

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010
I'd like to second the request for self-help-but-not-self-help books. Any sort of guide for bettering yourself as a person without ideological undertones of pull yourself up by your bootstraps liberalism.

Isn't stocism a big part of the ideological background for a lot of the christian capitalist work ethic stuff? I think I read that the philosophical basis of quite a few parts of christianity as we know it comes from the stoics. I don't know how accurate that is though, since I'm not widely read on either of those subjects.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

A Spherical Sponge posted:

I'd like to second the request for self-help-but-not-self-help books. Any sort of guide for bettering yourself as a person without ideological undertones of pull yourself up by your bootstraps liberalism.

Isn't stocism a big part of the ideological background for a lot of the christian capitalist work ethic stuff? I think I read that the philosophical basis of quite a few parts of christianity as we know it comes from the stoics. I don't know how accurate that is though, since I'm not widely read on either of those subjects.

the quran

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Josef bugman posted:

Hope everyone is well.

Razzle's Readers Wives

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Josef bugman posted:

Hope everyone is well.

Go read The Sirens of Titan

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

A Spherical Sponge posted:

A large part of stoic philosophy boils down to "you're only poor if you feel poor, maaaan", which meshes well with an inherently hierarchical and exploitative social order. It can be a useful outlook on an individual level, but as a component of social policy it's obviously bullshit peddled by wankers with a vested interest in the status quo.

Seneca talked a lot about the need for a healthy disdain for material goods (but condemned ostentatious asceitism) while living in a house with a roof literally made of gold. But at least he had the good grace to recognise his own hypocrisy and poke fun at himself.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Josef bugman posted:

Hope everyone is well.

I distinctly remember thinking while skimming the Meditations, something along the lines of "you're the Emperor mate, do something about it"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

I just recommend people read Camus's Myth of Sisyphus as far as philosophy goes. Embrace the absurdity of human existence.

Mind you, I'm sadbrains as hell so clearly didn't work that well.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
roberts rules of order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

I just recommend people read Camus's Myth of Sisyphus as far as philosophy goes. Embrace the absurdity of human existence.

Mind you, I'm sadbrains as hell so clearly didn't work that well.
One must imagine Sisyphus posting.

• Locked thread