Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Red Oktober posted:

Ebook sale or physical?

Ebook. Got to keep the Kindle full for when I'm rushing around Europe on polluting planes Correct Trains

Edit: 1903 - split between Bolsheviks and Mensheviks occurs, according to the early part of China Mieville's October wot I am reading first.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Hello thread, happy new year! This year I plan to finally join the Labour party and volunteer at the local food charity more.

In other news, what should I buy from the Verso sale?

I picked up October, End of Policing, the new poverty, Grand Hotel Abyss, Extreme Cities, & the making of the black working class.

At the rate I read, that’ll take me up to 2028.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

My Fash Dad (MFD) was raging about this, for some reason. I didn't stop to ask or figure out why, tho

Students make up over 150,000 of the gross immigration figure. I don't know how much taking them out would affect the net figure, but it'd be substantial.

That's a problem for the government for several reasons. First if the immigration figure plummets it makes it less easy to shock people into blaming all their problems on immigrants. And secondly, it makes a complete mockery of their long running manifesto pledge to get immigration down to tens of thousands, if they achieve the lions share of that goal by changing the definition.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Against my better judgement I tried to find something that Toby Young had actually done, rather than simply written about, and I couldn't find anything. He's hosed up anything he's actually tried to achieve and now exists to nail down the Spectator line on every topic he's told to write about.

Why do people look at these types and go "hmm yes those are the skills needed".

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

Against my better judgement I tried to find something that Toby Young had actually done, rather than simply written about, and I couldn't find anything. He's hosed up anything he's actually tried to achieve and now exists to nail down the Spectator line on every topic he's told to write about.

Traditional British Values.

I was going to comment on how people like this getting leadership positions could be linked to the productivity crisis, but we all know such mediocrities have always been elevated due to family connections.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Thanks Ants posted:

The only good Toby Young articles are the ones where he owns himself, like the time he admitted running a school was much harder than he expected, and the time he casually dropped that he basically got into Oxford after being sent an admissions letter in error.

It's especially funny/crushingly depressing that his dad coined the term meritocracy, and used it ironically to dismiss the idea of merit being intelligence plus effort. And the Toad is a clear reminder that this lovely country is about as far from a meritocracy as you can get, ironic or sincere.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 1, 2018

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

The only good Toby Young articles are the ones where he owns himself, like the time he admitted running a school was much harder than he expected, and the time he casually dropped that he basically got into Oxford after being sent an admissions letter in error.

How can you list these and not mention the one where he admits to having no friends, and decides this must be because friendship doesn't exist?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

How do you all remember all these facts about things. Not just Toby Young but some of you seem to have a full list of tory gently caress ups from 2017 when I can barely remember who's in charge of education now. My memory is shite.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You mean immigrants aren't just filling up Great Britain, they're actually displacing Englishmen from their native soil?

God imagine how much nicer the country would be if this were true

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

jabby posted:

How can you list these and not mention the one where he admits to having no friends, and decides this must be because friendship doesn't exist?

Isn't this a corollary to the time he organised his own stag and no one came?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

jabby posted:

Was that the one where no-one turned up at his stag do?

edit: Dangit!!!^^^

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I got this article and series letters beneath it from twitter and boy does it make you hate Toby Young all over again. But also:

quote:

Young seems to think he is held in high regard by free school advocates. When I mentioned his name in the course of interviewing a former Department for Education employee for the piece, my interviewee headbutted the restaurant table in exasperation. I have found the sentiment, if not the gesture, to be common among his ideological comrades.

Ooft that's got to hurt

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Bobstar posted:

Ebook. Got to keep the Kindle full for when I'm rushing around Europe on polluting planes Correct Trains

Edit: 1903 - split between Bolsheviks and Mensheviks occurs, according to the early part of China Mieville's October wot I am reading first.

Did someone say China Mieville!!!!??!!?!?

http://bidisha-online.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/emotional-violence-and-social-power.html

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Happy New Year to the UKMT Revolutionary Vanguard (of chronic internet posters).

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Vlex posted:

Isn't this a corollary to the time he organised his own stag and no one came?

Kind of worse, he asked his 'best friend' to organise a stag do and not only did the 'best friend' not show up but hardly anyone else did either. From this he concluded that friendship was a myth.

Thanks Ants posted:

Anyone willing to advocate a clearly harmful ideology that allows for massive profits at the expense of human suffering is always going to be in high demand. You will never be without work if you totally lack a conscience or morals of any kind.

jabby fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 1, 2018

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Darth Walrus posted:

Literally the one we’re currently discussing.

In other news, lol:

The time to start preparing for a no-deal Brexit was about five years ago and we're doing gently caress all even now in terms of building customs facilities, beefing up lorry parking at ports, setting up UK versions of EU regulators, etc. So either hard Brexit won't happen or we're all turbo-hosed when it does

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Holy poo poo, gently caress China Mieville.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Toby Young also insists 100% that he must have been accepted into Oxford 'by mistake' because he failed most of his O levels. The fact that his father was an MP and life peer had nothing to do with it.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Quick! everyone post your brexit.jpg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ace OP, OP.

Happy new year all!

Ratjaculation posted:

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Ratjaculation posted:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Ratjaculation posted:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Amazing!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

I've never read a single word this guy has written, but I coulda told you he was a oval office just by looking at his oval office face.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Ratjaculation posted:

https://twitter.com/realflanmurray/status/947820106389835776

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Jesus Christ :gonk: (Shallow of my but I'm glad I could never get into his books now.)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jabby posted:

I had completely forgotten about that, which is probably the best of his self owns. What a twerp.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

:sigh: Is anyone in the world non-terrible?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Maaaaan I really liked City and the City, too. And BBC is making a miniseries of it, too.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Bobstar posted:

You! :sympathy:

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Just you, though. The rest of us know what we've done.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

:3: Thanks, fellow good-chocolate-opinions-haver

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 1, 2018

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobstar posted:

So um I'm reading that, and it's a lot of words, and I don't doubt he's a lovely person - but am I right in reading that what he's accused of doing is basically telling her she's the one and only while banging a whole bunch of other women? Or is there also something worse in there I'm missing? :(

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 1, 2018

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Bobstar posted:

:3: Thanks, fellow good-chocolate-opinions-haver

Jesus christ, the only thing I get remembered in this thread for is having food opinions and being foreign. I'm like a poor Poncholo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

So um I'm reading that, and it's a lot of words, and I don't doubt he's a lovely person - but am I right in reading that what he's accused of doing is basically telling her she's the one and only while banging a whole bunch of other women? Or is there also something worse in there I'm missing? :(

I mean it's pretty obvious from the writing that it's something that causes a shitload of harm to people and you shouldn't do it.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Her writing is super difficult to get through, but I think she's saying he's a scumbag who used emotional manipulation to get her to love him/sleep with him while actually cheating on her/doing the same thing with a bunch of other women.

I mean that is pretty bad, and she certainly says it messed her up when it comes to future relationships. It's not quite the same as just cheating on someone.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Given that she specifically doesn’t name names, what clues in those of us not in the know that she’s talking about Mieville?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Miftan posted:

Jesus christ, the only thing I get remembered in this thread for is having food opinions and being foreign. I'm like a poor Poncholo.

If it cheers you up any, I have you mentally catalogued as an I/P thread poster who isn't weird realpolitik psychopath. Its a very short list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

jabby posted:

Her writing is super difficult to get through, but I think she's saying he's a scumbag who used emotional manipulation to get her to love him/sleep with him while actually cheating on her/doing the same thing with a bunch of other women.

I mean that is pretty bad, and she certainly says it messed her up when it comes to future relationships. It's not quite the same as just cheating on someone.

I couldn't get through the whole thing because she writes like a continental philosopher but come on now, being a womanising bastard is hardly on a level with being a rapist. That's not legitimising it, but just kind of saying it would be wrong to throw him in with Weinstein et al. Also I bought my gf his book on the russian revolution for her birthday and both of us thought it was super, so please don't make me hate him internet give me this.

• Locked thread