Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nice! Other long walkers, pony up :horse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Somehow I totally blanked on it being the 1st of the month today, my bad.
https://ibb.co/jvtshWc

Anyway, hit the target at 4137/4k.

:toxx: for 4k March

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

magic cactus posted:

Somehow I totally blanked on it being the 1st of the month today, my bad.
https://ibb.co/jvtshWc

Anyway, hit the target at 4137/4k.

:toxx: for 4k March

I only got 3,3k out of 4k words for my february, but I also had to spend most of last week in Hospital, thanks to my eye surgery going slightly off-script.

Is there an allowance for sudden unplanned hospital-stays or am I hosed?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Libluini posted:

I only got 3,3k out of 4k words for my february, but I also had to spend most of last week in Hospital, thanks to my eye surgery going slightly off-script.

Is there an allowance for sudden unplanned hospital-stays or am I hosed?

Hmm, give me another 700 in the next 48 hours, seems reasonable.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I believe in you!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Sounds fair! Should be done around tomorrow.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
No, turns out I actually do need the full 48 hours, but for really funny reasons I'll tell tomorrow :suicide:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

Hmm, give me another 700 in the next 48 hours, seems reasonable.

OK, done. But it turned out to be around 3000 words instead, because I'm an idiot and only noticed when starting writing again yesterday that the document I had worked on before getting hospitalized had a large chunk of extra text in it. (I have the habit of sometimes opening an old text and deleting the old text before saving it as a template for my new text, since I keep tinkering and changing things in the background during writing and get annoyed when I inevitably find out my empty template files are all seriously out of date now. The drawback is, of course, sometimes I forget to just delete the entire text and then later, I'll re-read what I wrote and notice the completely unrelated older text starting a page after the new text ends.)

But luckily, I had a sudden strike of inspiration while doing groceries today and after finishing the original text and still being 2k words short, I just started writing a new short story instead of giving up. So now I'm at roughly 4,2k words.

And now I hope this works, since this time I'm trying out mucking around with Google documents:

This link should make it possible to read the first text

It's a short "story" in the format of a scientific data base entry about an alien parasite. It was originally supposed to be the background for a short story I wanted to write for my publisher's yearly short story competition, but alas, I managed to put myself into hospital during the two days I wanted to write it, so for now this story based on a weird dream I had last month only exists in this form. It's written in German, as this entire thing was done for a German publisher. (The "two day" thing is less insane than it sounds, this competition has some serious restrictions, the last one I send something in for demanded ca. 400 words, max.)

And this link should give you the first draft of a new fantasy story based on stuff I basically just came up with on the spot today to fill up words. It was loosely inspired by playing an Enchanter in Conquest of Elysium 5 and thinking about how this kind of magic could work in a more down-to-earth fantasy setting.

Well, anyway. Lessons have been learned. Next time I'll avoid pledging for words in the same month as surgery. And to be extra sure, I'll await my doctor's word on how my eye is proceeding after this week's disaster before pledging for March.

gently caress, it's nearly 3 am now. I am tired.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 4, 2023

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

good poo poo :)

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

ill try another 10k april :toxx:

i know micro$oft

baka of lathspell fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 30, 2023

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Long month but I made it at 4340 :grovertoot:

https://ibb.co/BN0XtMW

:toxx: 4k April

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Well done!

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

lol sorry for leaving my sig on

i couldnt make it. heres what i accomplished which is 6.5

donk

this month was intense. posting to show i tried

e: i had some poo poo here i deleted. i really dont know

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

baka of lathspell fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 3, 2023

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

This month was a fuckin' slog but 4,020 words in the can.

https://ibb.co/zQrRvVN

:toxx: 4k 4 May

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Oh hey I was just thinking I needed something to make me work on this longform thing again.

Let’s say 5k for the month. :toxx: (I’m tempted to say 10 but I’m too chickenshit. Maybe next month.)

Edit: I'm having trouble uploading images, but my current wc for this project is 31,108

curlingiron fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 5, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hell yeah :getin:

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

I can't pledge words because the novel is done, but I need accountability help with editing. This thing is 42 chapters long, and I need to edit at least five chapters by the end of May. :toxx:

Current wordcount for proof I guess:

These are the five chapters I need to revise. The dots beside them need to switch from yellow (in-progress) or blue (not started) to purple (revision complete/review needed):

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

Beezus posted:

I can't pledge words because the novel is done, but I need accountability help with editing. This thing is 42 chapters long, and I need to edit at least five chapters by the end of May. :toxx:

Current wordcount for proof I guess:

These are the five chapters I need to revise. The dots beside them need to switch from yellow (in-progress) or blue (not started) to purple (revision complete/review needed):

Did it, and there's still some May left. New stats post-edits:

The blue chapters are now purple, which is significant according to my weird tracking system:

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Okay, I think this is about all I'm going to get done for the month. The total word count in the manuscript went up by more then 5k because I moved some scenes around in the project file, but the session target is the actual number of new words for the month:

How many of those are usable? Who knows! But I'm :toxx:ing for another 5k for June. :toot:

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Took a break from my novel this month to try something different, did a collaboration romance thing with a friend and made deadline at 4,349

https://ibb.co/zZc7fRT

:toxx: 4k in June. I'm hoping to get back to work on my novel.

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I'm going all in.

:toxx: Finish revising the rest of my novel by June 30. These are the chapters in progress and chapters I have left to edit. All of these dots need to be purple by the end of the month.

Word count for no reason. Ideally, the number of words should go down, but that's clearly not happening.

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

Beezus posted:

I'm going all in.

:toxx: Finish revising the rest of my novel by June 30. These are the chapters in progress and chapters I have left to edit. All of these dots need to be purple by the end of the month.

Word count for no reason. Ideally, the number of words should go down, but that's clearly not happening.

Did this and moved onto polishing prose. There was no way I was going to finish a polish pass along with revisions this month, so did not count that toward my goal. But polished chapters are green, while revised are purple. Here's a random page with markup or whatever, chapter tracking on the left.

Beezus fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 27, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nice work!

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

curlingiron posted:

I'm :toxx:ing for another 5k for June. :toot:

This month sucked, and I wasn't really able to work on my main project at all. I did write words for varying other things, though, and I have compiled of them into a single google docs for the purpose of accountability:

Gonna hold off on toxxing for more words until life consents to stop kicking me in the (metaphorical) balls, but I hope to return in the not too distant future. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

I hit my target but I'm traveling at the moment and things are hectic, can I get a 24 hour extension? I'm away from my main document atm, unfortunately don't have it on my gdrive or anything.

Edit: 4440. Target hit, thanks for waiting. Not longwalking this month as things are kind of crazy for me atm

https://ibb.co/jLFZ56t

magic cactus fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 4, 2023

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

i was too tired when i posted this :toxx: for 8k

baka of lathspell fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 31, 2023

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

sorry i posted like an idiot to make sure id do it

anyhoo removing link if it went unseen lemme know and ill relink. peace i didnt mean 2 disrupt the thread

baka of lathspell fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 3, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well gently caress, I somehow managed to write 2700+ words on a single day, and I still can't bring myself to stop. My finger tips are bright red, which I take as a bad sign.

But hell, I'm still inspired and apparently my manic depression entered the manic phase or whatever is wrong with me

Protip: Don't listen to your favorite music, especially not if it's Magnum, while writing. I got really weirdly inspired and I'm now scared I lose this spark when I stop to sleep.

Anyway, from tomorrow on I'll probably crash and burn thanks to today, so here's my toxx for the month:

Last day of September, I will have written 8000 words.

:toxx: for 8k

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nice work!

I like listening to this on repeat when I really need to crank out the words

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGbC730C4BA

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So, last day of the month. Did I make my 9k?

Well, turns out if your supervisor at work keeps leaving early, you can get a lot of stuff done!

I managed to get over 13k done in September! Across multiple different projects, so the progress in each of them is comparatively tiny! But still, 13k words. drat. I could probably have managed another couple thousand today, but I got a cold and decided to stop here.

I didn't even count everything, but my cold is giving me a headache and so I stopped searching for the other crap I wrote this month, and called it a day when I saw the word ticker go above 13k.

To confirm what I have done, I threw everything I worked on into a single file that is now linked here.

But since there's a lot of poo poo in there that's not exactly ready for publishing, I'll delete this trash can file at some point next week. I'm guessing that's time enough to confirm that I didn't just chatGPT'd my way through this.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Congratulations!

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

sorry to break into the breaking place but i need 11k :toxx:

this month

3k should be a short story ready for submission

i dont want my whole life to be the journey

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OK, I know myself and I feel the laziness growing again. And so I'm forced to :toxx: myself to get at least 12k words in October. Hopefully this will keep the ball rolling.

On October 31st, I'll report back with my final high score.

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

story is done and will be subbed as soon as ive edited it to length. i got a lot of other stuff done too. life is being really heavy and my coping method fried my computer. Im like 3k short As of now. if i dont post again thermonuclearize me. i hate that my thing for this thread is pointlessly dying

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Looking over my own stuff, I apparently managed to work on even more stuff simultaneously this time. gently caress, I've working on six different things all month.

Trying to mangle all the parts I've worked on together and counting will take all of the 31st, I fear.

I'm something of 1-3k short, better try to write some more the next few days!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Welp, OK it's done. Again, I managed to waffle between multiple projects. At least the absolute final update for one of my long-running Let's Plays is almost finished, so I have some actual progress besides just tons and tons of words.

The other projects are a bit more dear to me, so I haven't included them here in my proof.

The total I got for October was something like 14-15k words in total, with this insane thing I've linked taking up 13k+ of my output. (What annoys me the most is that I'm still not finished, though I have high hopes for November)

And now I need to have a lie down before deciding how much I want to pledge next month. Probably a bit less, just so I'm not stressing myself out so much.

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

not enough but wanted to show i tried, ban away

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Let's do this. 10k words in November.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OK, end of November.

I was freakishly busy with non-writing poo poo (well, except for my work, which also involves writing, but my boss would not appreciate me handing out company texts I've worked on, so that doesn't count since I can't show you), but me finally and doggedly hunting down the end of my Master of Orion 3 Let's Play meant I still made it across the finishing line.

First post that I wrote 100% in November; 2378 words according to my word editor

Second post I finished this month, 2586 words

And then I worked on this poo poo this month:

6740 words typed up for a potential spaceship combat system that may or may not be finished one day

This poo poo started originally as an attempt to make something that's easy to implement in a strategy game and still simple enough to be used in a tabletop-game, but it is fast approaching Aurora-level complexity. Welp, anyway, that's my 10k for November done!

And to make sure my goddman eternal LP is loving finished this year, I pledge another 10k for Decemer, just to keep the momentum going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Good news: 10k are done.
Bad news: I need another 10k pledge for January, to keep the momentum going.

Welp, here's the poo poo I wrote for my LP:

2362 words

3374 words

2950 words

And then I worked on this for a while (a glossary to help keep me from loving up for one of my other projects):

3022 words

10k for December 23: Achieved!

Now I need to lie down.