Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

All right Judge Dredd, law enforcement deliberately sabotaging a march for democracy to keep the fascist regime in place is officially not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Hello, i just read what i think is my first comic book, watchmen. It seemed good to me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

ArfJason posted:

Hello, i just read what i think is my first comic book, watchmen. It seemed good to me.

Now let me tell you why it is the worst thing ever.....

In all honesty there are plenty of great comics out there for people who don't usually read comics and if you ever want any recommendations just ask this forum!

Also congratulations on your first foray into geekdom

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah, dont worry i know my way around. Next stop, cable meets youngblood and bloodshed and bladeblood and deathyouth.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

ArfJason posted:

You're infected now, I'm sorry.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
In any case ive always wanted to read that serious house on serious earth comic because it looks so uhhhh ethereal? Dreamlike? I dunno it looks cool

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Sandman and Shade The Changing Man are interesting picks for some craziness.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you liked Watchmen, you might like Haikyu

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah sandman is one of those people rave about all the time and i had the chance to read it until my friend got tired of me calling him neil gayman and she no longer speaks to me

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Guy Goodbody posted:

If you liked Watchmen, you might like Haikyu

The gimmick's old now.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
read avengers 200 :roflolmao:

read onslaught reborn :roflolmao: :roflolmao:

:roflolmao:
:roflolmao:

hoo boy we have fun in here also read trouble :roflolmao::roflolmao::roflolmao:

i got a million of 'em heh heh heh heh heh sorry but someone had to do it heh heh heh

Also tell your friend his name is actually really pronounced Neil Gay-Men so you can be friends with your friend again?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Edge & Christian posted:

hoo boy we have fun in here also read trouble

I know I say this every time but God damnit Trouble is a fun stupid teen sex farce.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ArfJason posted:

Yeah sandman is one of those people rave about all the time and i had the chance to read it until my friend got tired of me calling him neil gayman and she no longer speaks to me

Hmm

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's pronounced gay-min so whatever. Also read Daytripper. And Onslaught Reborn

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/alexisthenedd/status/956651864698818560

I'd watch it, if only to infuriate all the people bitching about a black woman playing Batman.

Seriously though, if The Santa Clause had starred Oprah instead of Tim Allen there would have been protests, though there's nothing in that film that precludes it happening to Oprah, it's just a coincidence that it happened to a white dude.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ArfJason posted:

Your friend sounds cool, buy her an account

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Isn't it pronounced "gay men"?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

purple death ray posted:

Your friend sounds cool, buy her an account

There's no place for cool people on this forum.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

All right Judge Dredd, law enforcement deliberately sabotaging a march for democracy to keep the fascist regime in place is officially not fun.

From what I remember, this is one thing that sticks with Dredd a lot. He ends up softening a bit over the Democracy Now movement because of what happened in that arc.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Is anyone familiar enough with the process of professional comics creation to know what a flatter does? I've seen the word used by colorists on twitter but I have no idea what role they play

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

site posted:

Is anyone familiar enough with the process of professional comics creation to know what a flatter does? I've seen the word used by colorists on twitter but I have no idea what role they play

http://womenwriteaboutcomics.com/2016/04/01/cc-flatter/

I thought someone had bought a google smiley but I guess not.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Nice, ty

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone know what happened to James Tynion on Twitter? His account's gone.
https://twitter.com/jamesthefourth

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone know what happened to James Tynion on Twitter? His account's gone.
https://twitter.com/jamesthefourth

He wants job security?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just finished the Mangog saga in the Kirby Thor run and goddamn every panel is amazing. I want to post so much of it. If you haven’t read it, you absolutely should. From Sif to Balder to Loki to the Warriors Three every character gets their moment to shine. Sif really was one of the only strong female characters from that period of comics. She gets a couple lovely scenes in that era but when Mangog breaks into the room that holds the Odinsword and Thor tells her to get behind him her retort that no, her place is at his side, is perfect.

The only thing I have trouble with is how much of a big stupid jerk Odin is.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Guy Goodbody posted:

Isn't it pronounced "gay men"?

Mun.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Good thing I haven't had much call to say his name out loud. I would've looked foolish.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As I’m going through old marvel books I’m trying to supplement by reading blog posts or articles about that period in comics. I read one about the marvel method on dial b for blog that got me thinking about what constitutes a story.

quote:

New definition: An artist opens a vein and pours out their life's blood onto a blank page, creating the characters and their world, the plot, pacing, and setting -- in short, creating ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. Then Stan Lee adds captions, sound effects and dialogue. That's the REAL definition of the Marvel Method: Stan wrote the words. And he certainly NEVER illustrated a single comic book story, ever, for Marvel or any other company. I can't even recall seeing one of his doodles! He is not an illustrator, he never has been, and he never will be.

By the way, all this is not meant as a slam on Stan Lee. I take nothing away from Stan. I love Stan! But I see Stan primarily as an Art Director. I also think Stan is perhaps the greatest marketing genius of the century, and I have enjoyed his bombastic personality greatly for many years. Comic fans, he's our ambassador to the outside world! But facts are facts.

And so, fearless ones, from now on, the NEW definition of the Marvel Method is this: The artist created everything, and, for stories credited as being written by him, Stan wrote the dialogue.

I repeat: The artist created everything, and Stan wrote the dialogue.

I think it’s interesting to say that an artist created everything when what really resonates for me in a lot of the better stories is the dialogue and characterization that comes through. But it also makes me wonder: are there any examples of people taking those old books and writing different dialogue to tell different stories? I’m curious what could be done with the same art (knowing that the process of pencil > dialogue > ink still lets the artist draw to the dialogue).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does that post discuss instances where the dialogue changes what the artist intended? For example, Ditko drew a panel where Spider-Man swings past some strikers or protesters with the intent that Spidey would be admonishing them, but Lee's dialogue indicated that Peter supported them; or Byrne drew a sequence in which Colossus uproots the stump of a tree with the intention that it was an effortless feat of strength for him, but Claremont's narration indicated that doing this taxed Colossus's strength to its limits.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Let me guess, an artist wrote that?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
"writing the words" is creating the world, plot, setting, and all that :confused:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Jordan7hm posted:

I just finished the Mangog saga in the Kirby Thor run and goddamn every panel is amazing. I want to post so much of it. If you haven’t read it, you absolutely should. From Sif to Balder to Loki to the Warriors Three every character gets their moment to shine. Sif really was one of the only strong female characters from that period of comics. She gets a couple lovely scenes in that era but when Mangog breaks into the room that holds the Odinsword and Thor tells her to get behind him her retort that no, her place is at his side, is perfect.

The only thing I have trouble with is how much of a big stupid jerk Odin is.

Mangog looks kind of goofy, but it's awesome that the most terrifying enemy in Thor looks like one of Kirby's old monster books.

Hope you're reading the latest story line in the current Thor book. Mangog is tearing poo poo up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Samuringa posted:

"writing the words" is creating the world, plot, setting, and all that :confused:

He's specifically referring to how Stan would sometimes (but not always) just add dialogue after an artist did everything else. This isn't the traditional "Marvel method", which involved the writer doing a plot outline and letting the artist adapt it how he felt was best, then adding dialogue. Stan himself points out that he did very little on the later issues of Spider-man that Ditko worked on, for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4z7xuDhMeg&t=124s

The Marvel Method gave artists more creative freedom than was traditional at the time, and allowed a relatively small team at early Marvel to put out a ton of books. It should also be pointed out that Jack Kirby and Stan Lee had often worked for companies that gave neither writer or artist credit for their work, and that Jack often wrote and drew comics that the publisher took all the credit (and sometimes money) for.

There's a lot to criticize Stan Lee for, but pretending the artists did "EVERYTHING" and that he just "put words in" in every case is not just ungenerous, it's a flat-out lie.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 27, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

There's a lot to criticize Stan Lee for, but pretending the artists did "EVERYTHING" and that he just "put words in" in every case is not just ungenerous, it's a flat-out lie.

Yeah, it seems like one of those things where people who don't know much think Stan Lee is a superstar without peer because of his self promotion, then people who read about it find out the artists were really important too, so then other people want to take it the next step to be really smart and say actually Stan Lee didn't do anything important at all. As much as the idea gets mocked, sometimes the truth really is in the middle, and it's worth remembering that while Stan Lee definitely exaggerated his importance for a very long time, and gave credit only grudgingly later, perhaps the artists themselves weren't 100% reliable narrators either.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sinteres posted:

Yeah, it seems like one of those things where people who don't know much think Stan Lee is a superstar without peer because of his self promotion, then people who read about it find out the artists were really important too, so then other people want to take it the next step to be really smart and say actually Stan Lee didn't do anything important at all. As much as the idea gets mocked, sometimes the truth really is in the middle, and it's worth remembering that while Stan Lee definitely exaggerated his importance for a very long time, and gave credit only grudgingly later, perhaps the artists themselves weren't 100% reliable narrators either.

The Edison/Tesla phenomenon.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Man, I just read The Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe--it's basically "The Boys" writ small. Was there some reason it wasn't just a What If?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

Man, I just read The Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe--it's basically "The Boys" writ small. Was there some reason it wasn't just a What If?

Marvel wanted to push its Alterniverse imprint, their answer to DC's then-popular Elseworlds. What If was classified under the imprint, and in 1995 they also did Ruins and The Last Avengers Story, but those ended up being the only other books ever released under Alterniverse.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
From my understanding of Marvel early days, everyone did everything and credit was thrown around so it is hard to say who gets more credit or not.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Edison/Tesla phenomenon.

Edison financed the building of the first electric chair in order to kill alternating current. I don't really see how the truth is in the middle with that one.

• Locked thread