Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tesla's the one who kept making doomsday devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

Tesla's the one who kept making doomsday devices.

Or lied / bullshitted about it.

Tesla was an underappreciated genius for years but some people (hi Oatmeal) are overcorrecting.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
The Oatmeal getting overly excited about something, you say?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Or lied / bullshitted about it.

Tesla was an underappreciated genius for years but some people (hi Oatmeal) are overcorrecting.

Yeah, Tesla wrote "Death Ray! (maybe from space??)" on a napkin and suddenly he's a steampunk hero

Meanwhile Edison invented a relatively painless instant execution method for an elephant already condemned to die and that gets spun like he just loved killing elephants

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Our prisons are overcrowded with condemned elephants and I dont see Tesla out there doing anything about it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, Tesla wrote "Death Ray! (maybe from space??)" on a napkin and suddenly he's a steampunk hero

Meanwhile Edison invented a relatively painless instant execution method for an elephant already condemned to die and that gets spun like he just loved killing elephants

Wow so I decided to look up more about the elephant. I thought it was another part of the Current War but that was later misinformation.

That being said Edison didn't invent a painful way of killing an elephant. He just got involved to add to the spectacle.
Oh and to record the whole thing so he could profit off it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrocuting_an_Elephant

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
If you're going to kill some elephants might as well make some dough of it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That elephant was going to die no matter what. Edison gave it a better death than the hanging that was planned.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The dollop did an episode on Tesla and Edison

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/acdc

tl;dr: Basically Edison was an out-and-out huckster who was constantly searching for an easy way to make a buck and Tesla was essentially a certified lunatic

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
But nevermind actual history, what if I glue a bunch of plastic gears to a fedora?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Edison wanted the electric chair to use alternating current because he wanted it to be associated with death (he also secretively funded the building of the thing). The first time the chair was used William Kemmler was electrocuted for 17 seconds, this didn't kill him so they had to electrocute him again causing his blood vessels to burst.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Tesla was a hardcore eugenicist shithead and while that wasn't particularly uncommon among intellectuals of his period it's always been funny to me in a bitter way that of course that brand of softboiled "scientific" racism is the kind of thing 21st century Tesla fanboys are ok with handwaving away.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

That elephant was going to die no matter what. Edison gave it a better death than the hanging that was planned.

There is no way even old timey people were stupid enough to try to hang an elephant. I refuse to believe that.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
They used a crane.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

There is no way even old timey people were stupid enough to try to hang an elephant. I refuse to believe that.

The poor jumbo. :smith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

JFC just shoot it in the head you morons.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Were the Monkees comics ever collected since they came out in the 60s? I'm sure they aren't great, but my wife loves the Monkees and comics and it seems like she'd enjoy reading them.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hey. You wouldn't expect the Monkees movie to be true art, but it is. Maybe there's something to the comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Were the Monkees comics ever collected since they came out in the 60s? I'm sure they aren't great, but my wife loves the Monkees and comics and it seems like she'd enjoy reading them.

No idea, but I want to use this opportunity to mention that the Monkees movie was titled Head simply because if they ever made a sequel they could print "From the People Who Gave You Head" on the posters.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So they were Dell comics. Tough luck there :/

edit: 'The Archies #4' has The Monkees guest starring. That only came out a few weeks ago.
https://www.comixology.com/The-Archies-4/digital-comic/619119

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 28, 2018

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Skwirl posted:

No idea, but I want to use this opportunity to mention that the Monkees movie was titled Head simply because if they ever made a sequel they could print "From the People Who Gave You Head" on the posters.

Definitely worth mentioning! I think both their movies were kind of weird, but the one had Frank Zappa in it.

Teenage Fansub posted:

So they were Dell comics. Tough luck there :/

edit: 'The Archies #4' has The Monkees guest starring. That only came out a few weeks ago.
https://www.comixology.com/The-Archies-4/digital-comic/619119

Were Dell comics never reprinted with no hope of it ever happening or something?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

Were Dell comics never reprinted with no hope of it ever happening or something?
Basically, the license for Monkees comics is held by the Monkees unless there's some insane person out there that purchased them from them again. In theory whoever has them could sell them to another company and they could reprint the Dell ones if they could get ahold of either the original art or high-quality scans (these are more likely and would probably require a lot of touchup work). I won't say there's zero chance, but unless there's some huge Monkees revival, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

I don't think any of the celebrity licensed comics from the 60's have ever been collected. Not even the issues where Jerry Lewis fights The Flash.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Random Stranger posted:

I don't think any of the celebrity licensed comics from the 60's have ever been collected. Not even the issues where Jerry Lewis fights The Flash.

But...Goody Rickles!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Endless Mike posted:

Basically, the license for Monkees comics is held by the Monkees unless there's some insane person out there that purchased them from them again. In theory whoever has them could sell them to another company and they could reprint the Dell ones if they could get ahold of either the original art or high-quality scans (these are more likely and would probably require a lot of touchup work). I won't say there's zero chance, but unless there's some huge Monkees revival, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I'm sure the first few issues are probably a fortune, but maybe I could track down some random ones for a reasonable price. I'll check the comic book store downtown, they have a poo poo ton of old stuff, I could see them potentially having some Monkees comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Books, Comics and Things in Fort Wayne Indiana had at one time the largest selection of Dell back issues in the country. It might be worth contacting them to see what they have on hand.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Do Gold Key/Whitman comics count as Dell?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

joehonkie posted:

But...Goody Rickles!

Never got his own book, sadly.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm sure the first few issues are probably a fortune, but maybe I could track down some random ones for a reasonable price. I'll check the comic book store downtown, they have a poo poo ton of old stuff, I could see them potentially having some Monkees comics.

The issues on ebay didn't look too expensive. Just one of the genuine article would probably be a cooler gift than a reprint collection anyhow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lightning Lord posted:

Do Gold Key/Whitman comics count as Dell?

They continued the numbering so sort of. BCT had a fuckload of those as well. In the late 90's they were well known for their selection. I know they still have an enormous inventory so if that's your thing hit them up. They also had a very large number of 50's humor books.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/noesunverbo/status/957823181619900417

I'm with Zdarsky on this one.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

RIP Grawlix
https://twitter.com/TheJulieBenson/status/957686707817668609

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Comics are in a weird place where they can have like, graphic beheadings and torture but not say poo poo or show a boob

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Guy Goodbody posted:

Comics are in a weird place where they can have like, graphic beheadings and torture but not say poo poo or show a boob
We might have been reading very different eras of Beetle Bailey.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

We participated in a genocide, Miss Buxley

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Truly, we are lucky that freedom fighters like Jim Balent are courageously are tearing down this wall of oppression.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vincent posted:

Truly, we are lucky that freedom fighters like Jim Balent are courageously are tearing down this wall of oppression.

Honestly, I'd prefer it if they toned down the violence in mainline superhero comics. I just remember the last page of the first issue of Green Lantern for the New 52 was a big full page of a couple of beheaded corpses, neck stumps pointed at the viewer. It's like, why? You couldn't get away with that in an actual Green Lantern movie. It was so off putting and unnecessary.

Don't get me wrong, I love tits and gore. I would never want to see an end to tits and gore comics. I love Murcielago. But for something that has a kid's show on the Cartoon Network and kid's toys in the toy aisle at Target, there's such a thing as too much

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I'm with Zdarsky on this one.

That is generally a good idea.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

JFC just shoot it in the head you morons.

You pretty much needed a purpose built gun in the early 20th century to be able to kill an elephant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Archyduke posted:

Tesla was a hardcore eugenicist shithead and while that wasn't particularly uncommon among intellectuals of his period it's always been funny to me in a bitter way that of course that brand of softboiled "scientific" racism is the kind of thing 21st century Tesla fanboys are ok with handwaving away.

It's pretty much the elephant in the room regarding steampunk. The whole "height of imperialism backed by white supremacy which the science of the day was happy to enable" thing gets conveniently left out.

• Locked thread