Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A friend of mine just asked about "Boostle" the time traveling DC superhero who tried to save his superhero boyfriend's life but couldn't.

I prefer this interpretation of events to the real thing, up to and including changing Booster Gold's name to Boostle.

Escobarbarian posted:

gently caress you, Lurdiak, Morrison DOES own

:wrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Blold Boostle

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Boostle Glad.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

How are you this donkey brained?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lightning Lord posted:

How are you this donkey brained?

People are allowed to have opinions.

Even if they are bad I'm sorry Lurdiak you are my bro but we're on different sides of this line.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lurdiak is right. I doubt Morrison believes he owns anything.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Apparently, Jim Zub is under fire from right-wingers because a right-wing guy asked him if he could read his comic and he said " it's your decision, read what you want." Apparently, this was liberal propaganda and he is secretly trying to indoctrinate right winger with his sjw comic or something.

Frankly, the creepiest thing to me is that the person who asked him the question was so indoctrinated that they were basically asking permission to go against what Diversity & Comics, the ironically titled racist homphobic transphobic YouTube anti comic guy, says.

Like, go to the linke where he got asked the question. This person sounds like they have a problem. Like, they feel guilty for reading his comic because it goes against what a YouTuber says is good. Apparently, his colorist is being attacked by Diversity & Comics because she's trans and this Tumblr user feels conflicted and wants Jim to help him know if it's okay to read his book because he feels guilty for not automatically agree with Diversity & Comics orders.

That's like hosed up.

http://jimzub.tumblr.com/post/169248169410/mr-zub-im-a-college-student-and-big-fan-of-your

I like that he defended his colorist, but he could have been a bit more strong about it. Better than saying nothing, I suppose

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This is Tamra's tweet the anon is referencing btw

https://twitter.com/TBonvillain/status/948009906698883072

tbh I'm probably a little biased here considering I'm trans as well, but I was not impressed by Jim not being willing to even broach the subject of d&c being a troll who directs harassment campaigns against woman, poc, and queer people because he's a bigot, even when his own co-creator is being targeted

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

site posted:

This is Tamra's tweet the anon is referencing btw

https://twitter.com/TBonvillain/status/948009906698883072

tbh I'm probably a little biased here considering I'm trans as well, but I was not impressed by Jim not being willing to even broach the subject of d&c being a troll who directs harassment campaigns against woman, poc, and queer people because he's a bigot, even when his own co-creator is being targeted

I wasn't aware of this context. Makes Jim look like, and probably is, a weak-willed Centrist. Well, I just lost a lot of respect for the limp dick loser, but I still like Jim's books so I'll probably still buy them. At least part of that money goes to somebody who actually has some guts.

Edit: maybe that's harsh, but I really don't have any patience for both sides, afraid to be political, centrists anymore. They're just as responsible for why this country has always been poo poo like the right-wingers are responsible. Either take a stand or be willing to admit that you're just as bad as Donald Trump.

Covok fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 4, 2018

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Alan Moore's xmas card was a little....drat.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/948783444859019265

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/948786629929525248

No one likes Jason Aaron.

NO ONE

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

UCF are the Real National Champions, anyway.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So my favorite comics podcast has a list where they infomally rank every single comic story ever, and I've been making my way trying to read through all of at least the top 100 comics on the list in some order. Right now I'm finally gonna read Nextwave and Gotham Central in their entireties, alongside The Devil in Cell Block D Daredevil arc.

I mostly mention this because that list is actually a pretty fun way to informally figure out what new comics to read, especially considering the first 450 entries are all, you know, Actually Good Comics.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Right now I'm finally gonna read Nextwave and Gotham Central in their entireties, alongside The Devil in Cell Block D Daredevil arc.
For the first time?

You lucky bastard.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I never really got into Gotham Central, I read it until Half-Life because I thought it was going to be another Two-Face story(Which I can't even remember right now) and then dropped it. I guess I was still pretty new to comics at the time, I probably should give it another go one of these days.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If anyone hasn't read Gotham Central they should do so, immediately, without hesitation

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
If you've never read it, you should absolutely read 52 right after Gotham Central, both because GC ends really abruptly and most of the resolution ended up happening in 52, and also why haven't you read 52.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Batman: Year Two?

I feel like I remember that sucking because it was about Joe Chill.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

A Strange Aeon posted:

Batman: Year Two?

I feel like I remember that sucking because it was about Joe Chill.

It's not good. You get the novelty of Todd McFarlane drawing Batman. The best thing I can say about it is that it's not the worst story written about Batman's early years. It's definitely towards the bottom of that list though

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

So my favorite comics podcast has a list where they infomally rank every single comic story ever, and I've been making my way trying to read through all of at least the top 100 comics on the list in some order. Right now I'm finally gonna read Nextwave and Gotham Central in their entireties, alongside The Devil in Cell Block D Daredevil arc.

I mostly mention this because that list is actually a pretty fun way to informally figure out what new comics to read, especially considering the first 450 entries are all, you know, Actually Good Comics.

To be fair, it's more "top comics to the tastes of Chris Sims and Matt D. Wilson" but that is fairly close to my tastes, too, so that works out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

To be fair, it's more "top comics to the tastes of Chris Sims and Matt D. Wilson" but that is fairly close to my tastes, too, so that works out.

They are merely the arbiters. :v:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Actually now might be a good time to ask (or bad I guess depending on spoilers) but I recently reread my Gotham Central trades and I finished reading the Dead Robin arc and it seemed like there was either a page missing or some panels because the reveal seemed to come out of nowhere. Did anyone else feel this way, or notice it?

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Endless Mike posted:

Chris and Matt are two of my best friends in this world, but sometimes listening to ESE I yell at my podcast app very loudly. I give Matt poo poo about ranking Planet Hulk over Persepolis every time I see him. Personally I think the "walking out the door test" is a poor-rear end measure of quality for a work of art but what the gently caress do I know

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Benito Cereno posted:

Chris and Matt are two of my best friends in this world, but sometimes listening to ESE I yell at my podcast app very loudly. I give Matt poo poo about ranking Planet Hulk over Persepolis every time I see him. Personally I think the "walking out the door test" is a poor-rear end measure of quality for a work of art but what the gently caress do I know

What's the "walking out the door test"?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
whats the walking out the door test

efb

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

A Strange Aeon posted:

What's the "walking out the door test"?

It's one of their criteria for ranking two books against each other. If one of them, hypothetically, was walking out the door to go eat a hamburger sandwich and saw two books on the shelf, which one would they be more likely to pick up to read while they ate lunch. This is the criterion by which they justify ranking Age of the Sentry over Art Spiegelman's Maus.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Benito Cereno posted:

It's one of their criteria for ranking two books against each other. If one of them, hypothetically, was walking out the door to go eat a hamburger sandwich and saw two books on the shelf, which one would they be more likely to pick up to read while they ate lunch. This is the criterion by which they justify ranking Age of the Sentry over Art Spiegelman's Maus.

That makes me want to fight them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

That is a profoundly stupid metric.

It also favors "is Batman going to punch a dude" over basically any other factor so, considering the source, of course they use it.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 6, 2018

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Its the way they rate comics in relation to each other that are otherwise incomparable.

Like, if you tried to compare, like, say, Persepolis to that issue of Orion by Simonson that's one long fight scene, how do you? Their specific aims are wildly different, their 'seriousness' and impact is wildly different, etc. Chris and Matt try to split the difference by arguing that if they're about to leave to do something where they'll want to read a comic, which would they pick first as they're about to leave from those two options.

This usually best works for comics which are already inherently comparable but really slights comics that are Important but loving bummers to read or are not always "light".

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I've never read Achewood because...well, honestly, most of the pages from it I've seen posted have done next to nothing for me.

Is Achewood: The Great Outdoor Fight really good enough to be number six on that list? That seems kind of odd to me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so...its just which book has a cover that interests them more

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dexie posted:

I've never read Achewood because...well, honestly, most of the pages from it I've seen posted have done next to nothing for me.

Is Achewood: The Great Outdoor Fight really good enough to be number six on that list? That seems kind of odd to me.

Probably, yeah.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Honestly my biggest issue with their list is whenever Chris smugly explains that Final Crisis is actually super simple to understand and that any issues anyone has with comprehending it is on them. But whatever, there's a weird Morrison bias that runs through the list that you just sorta get used to.

It sure as gently caress introduced me to a bunch of comics I otherwise would not read, so. It's a good generalized metric for discovering new comics that works in a way that doesn't gravitate to one of the half dozen or so comics everyone always recommends because its the first ones that come to mind.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

site posted:

so...its just which book has a cover that interests them more

No, the premise assumes they have already read both comics in question. Obviously they don't rank stories they haven't read.

The biggest mark possible against most stories for their list is that it makes you feel any emotion other than "gently caress yeah." That's not always the case, but once Sims says the word "bummer," you can expect they'll be placing a story low.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They, especially Chris, love wacky silver age stories and weird 80s stories like the one where the punisher steals some dude’s jet ski. They’ve also read a ton of comics, but I have a feeling there are people on here who’ve read, it not as many, at least in same ballpark. They’ll get details wrong and probably rank stuff weirdly if it falls outside of their particular wheelhouse.

As long as you know this their list is a ton of fun to listen to.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Benito Cereno posted:

No, the premise assumes they have already read both comics in question. Obviously they don't rank stories they haven't read.

The biggest mark possible against most stories for their list is that it makes you feel any emotion other than "gently caress yeah." That's not always the case, but once Sims says the word "bummer," you can expect they'll be placing a story low.

I would argue its most specifically if its Serious and Heady, Chris loves it when a comic makes him cry but if it's a thinker or takes time to comprehend then yes it's done.

Either way the list is just a dumb loving list; as they repeat a zillion times the first like 450 entries are all really really good comics. It's a shorthand, its much more appealing to listen to why they think a story is good or what they like about a story than where the story goes, unless its your personal fave and then they clearly ranked it too low because Chris can't stop talking about that Marvel 2-in-1 or loving Morrison for one goddamn second.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The really bad part is that it's clear what things were placed fairly early on, because I can't imagine even they would put an issue of GI in the top 25 today.

Also I sent a list two years ago and it still hasn't been read because of the linesteppers (though one: World's Funnest, got ranked). I should really support their Patreon until they read it.

Also, not related, but please vote in the Sheep Game! There's still a couple days left, and only 9 of you fuckers have entered! I'll extend it a week if I don't at least get to 10 by Sunday.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Dexie posted:

It definitely is, but if Achewood isn't for you, well, you're not going to like the peak of Achewood.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Frankly I enjoy Every Story Ever but I mentally tune out when Sims and Wilson actually rank the comics. I enjoy the discussion but I'd personally prefer if it was a list of comics they liked without ranking. It's the same for the Journey Into Misery Good Egg/Bad Egg ranked list.

Someone should linestep and try to get them to cover something like Joe Matt's Spent or that goofy/creepy Chester Brown comic about him being a john that I'm blanking on the name of and don't care to google. Yeah, I know it's not their wheelhouse at all but I just want to hear them talk about books from the misanthropic no hoper loser end of the Comics Journal spectrum. It would be an interesting and funny discussion, for sure.

Oh and Lick! The! Whisk! one day you will submit to the grandeur of Morrison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I love Morrison. Specifically, I love The Multiversity and Batman RIP, aka Literally The Best Batman Story Ever Written. I don't like it when Morrison decides to write a line wide crossover that I had to read twice and then a like 2k word explainer from another poster on this forum to understand his metatextual narrative he was going for only for Chris Sims to turn around and say the story was actual totes clear and needed no explanation.

Morrison, to me, is simultaneously the most over- and under-rated comics writer of all time. There are people who say everything he writes is bad, and that's patently absurd. But there's also a segment of people who argue that everything Morrison writes is super clear and coherent when the reality is he often falls into writerly masturbation all about His Pet Themes, usually metatextual ones, that he then justifies poorly within the bounds of the stories he writes. When he's good or when he's celebrating a medium he loves, like in RIP or Multiversity, he's incredible. When he writes comics solely to prove how clever he is or to prove a point, like Final Crisis or Batman Inc vol 2, he can be pretty loving insufferable.

• Locked thread