Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the the only conic they've ranked that they didn't like but I did like was Avengers Forever (granted, I may have missed a few, but that's the only one that occurs to me).

I've tried Achewood but it obviously isn't for me.

I don't disagree too much with their top of bottom rankings, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m with them in identity crisis being the worst story ever. Also like their top of the list. That’s a drat fine Spider-Man story. They got me to read Achewood too. Not the whole thing, but the Great Outdoor Fight, with no other context for the strip, was really great.

They are most wrong about the work of Darwin Cooke, but everyone is allowed to be wrong now and then.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Achewood has a solid few years where it's just untouchable. It doesn't last forever and he's got too much of a tendency to slide into lazy stereotypes (and some just flat-out racist stuff here and there) but when it's firing on all cylinders I don't think there's anything funnier.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

On the subject of Morrison, The Filth is one of the all-time stories in any medium that means a whole lot to me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Off the back of ESE chat I decided to make a forum game titled Every Story Ever Roulette. Enter it to be forced to read and write about comics you normally wouldn't! It'll be fun, I promise.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

Achewood has a solid few years where it's just untouchable. It doesn't last forever and he's got too much of a tendency to slide into lazy stereotypes (and some just flat-out racist stuff here and there) but when it's firing on all cylinders I don't think there's anything funnier.

Yeah Achewood at its best (which includes Great Outdoor Fight, but it really helps to know the characters) is undeniably a GOAT comic

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah Achewood at its best (which includes Great Outdoor Fight, but it really helps to know the characters) is undeniably a GOAT comic

It's a shame the dude went crazy and stole a bunch of people's money.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Are you thinking about pictures for sad children's John Campbell or is that a recurring thing with webcomic artists

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samuringa posted:

Are you thinking about pictures for sad children's John Campbell or is that a recurring thing with webcomic artists

The Achewood dude did it a lot quieter. He launched a monthly subscription for "extra content" and then stopped putting out free content, and then stopped putting out extra content. And also he stopped shipping out people's orders from his store.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

He opened some artisan soda business in one of the bullshit cities. He's a goddamn clown

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

purple death ray posted:

He opened some artisan soda business in one of the bullshit cities. He's a goddamn clown

yeah but the Dog Penis Medicine flavor is actually surprisingly good

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Achewood dude did it a lot quieter. He launched a monthly subscription for "extra content" and then stopped putting out free content, and then stopped putting out extra content. And also he stopped shipping out people's orders from his store.

Jesus, really?

I recently found out that Greg Dean of Real Life Comics did something similar. I used to love RLC when I was younger (and easier to amuse, I'm pretty sure the comic hasn't aged well at all), so it was kind of a bummer finding out that yet another webcomic creator is so scummy. :sigh:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Not all of them can be buckley

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All web comics pale before Red Meat.

I hate you Milkman Dan.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Dexie posted:

Jesus, really?

I recently found out that Greg Dean of Real Life Comics did something similar. I used to love RLC when I was younger (and easier to amuse, I'm pretty sure the comic hasn't aged well at all), so it was kind of a bummer finding out that yet another webcomic creator is so scummy. :sigh:

Oh ouch, seriously? I always thought Dean was just sort of a bland nice fella from meeting him at a few shows, that blows.

Rhyno posted:

I hate you Milkman Dan.

This is true.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

END ME SCOOB posted:

Oh ouch, seriously? I always thought Dean was just sort of a bland nice fella from meeting him at a few shows, that blows.

There's a nice long thread on his forums from 2015 called "GREG DEAN IS A THIEF!" Apparently he took a bunch of merch orders from people and never filled them, and hasn't answered anyone emails/messages/attempts to get a refund.

The forums are still decently active, which is surprising. I guess some people just can't move on?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
No, that sounds right. 2000s era webcomic forums are unceasing inertia if you have over 25 regulars and the server isn't shut down. The Keenspot forums still get posts. I drunkenly deleted one and lost my administrator powers there.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I bought the Darwyn Cooke Graphic Inc hardcover today with some Christmas gift cards and man, he was just so good. It sucks so much that his career in comics started as late as it did and ended as early as it did.

On the note of the book - it’s less an art book and more just a collection of his otherwise uncollected DC work, along with a ton of covers he did along the way. If you love Cooke I highly recommend picking it up.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Everyone should have a copy of New Frontier and the Parker comics.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also his Catwoman run with Brubaker. That poo poo was pure gold.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

All I want in this world is a coffee table book with his month of variant covers.
http://comicsalliance.com/darwyn-cooke-dc-variants-december/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

All I want in this world is a coffee table book with his month of variant covers.
http://comicsalliance.com/darwyn-cooke-dc-variants-december/

This please. Or alternatively a portfolio of 11x17 prints of every cover.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah. They included a lot of them (all?) in Graphic Ink but the gutter loss is pretty bad. I’ve been buying the singles in dolllar bins for the last year, have most of them at this point. I want to get them all bound with some of his other work at some point.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Jordan7hm posted:

I bought the Darwyn Cooke Graphic Inc hardcover today with some Christmas gift cards and man, he was just so good. It sucks so much that his career in comics started as late as it did and ended as early as it did.

On the note of the book - it’s less an art book and more just a collection of his otherwise uncollected DC work, along with a ton of covers he did along the way. If you love Cooke I highly recommend picking it up.

Still bums me out he died the morning I was going to see him at a con. Still have that Superman/Wonder Woman cover framed.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I got to meet Cooke at a con in 2014, and my buddy and I definitely gushed. He was very humble, gracious, and unassuming, signed all our stuff, and sketched a nice Hal Jordan in my friend's New Frontier Omnibus. We told him he wrote the only Hal Jordan we've ever liked, and that got a laugh out of him.

He was one of the greatest storytellers in the history of the medium, and I think about him and his work probably every day. I've read the Parker books but don't own them, and I don't own Graphic Ink, despite having a few of the stand-alone books collected within. I really should track down all of his work.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I hate you Milkman Dan.

My milkman Dan shirt was destroyed by an evil dryer almost ten years ago, now. Rip

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

I got something from the Achewood store as recently as late 2016 so shrug.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

END ME SCOOB posted:

No, that sounds right. 2000s era webcomic forums are unceasing inertia if you have over 25 regulars and the server isn't shut down. The Keenspot forums still get posts. I drunkenly deleted one and lost my administrator powers there.

Hell BSS has an achewood thread still. The comic posts about once a year since 2012 but there are still goons posting in their best lowercase Roast Beef voices trying to keep the magic alive. Last time I was in there they were dog piling anybody who complained about not getting the book they had already paid for years ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think Achewood is insanely overrated but yeah, BSS really has a crazy love for it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think it's mostly pushback, people are rabidly for it because a lot of other people are rabidly against it and need to make that known everytime it's mentioned.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Major Eff Alan Moore DC spoiler dropped.

ABC characters will appear in DC books

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Retro Futurist posted:

I think it's mostly pushback, people are rabidly for it because a lot of other people are rabidly against it and need to make that known everytime it's mentioned.

No I think I and a few other people genuinely feel a strong connection to the work, to the point that the way we express ourselves is shaped by the idiosyncratic nature of the dialogue. The comic lost its magic pretty hard a long time ago and the creator turned out to be a liar fuckup thief hack, but that doesn't really erase how unique and interesting the comic was in its prime.

It's definitely not for everyone, though. It's like a weird indie band or something.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Achewood is basically the Simpsons of webcomics. It's glory days are long behind it and it's at best a pale shadow of itself and more often a cruel mockery of itself. But when it was good it was so good that it could keep going for decades on the momentum it had at its peak.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Major Eff Alan Moore DC spoiler dropped.

ABC characters will appear in DC books

I thought we knew this with the first arc of the Terrifics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

I thought we knew this with the first arc of the Terrifics.

Did we?

Promethea is joining the JLoA

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Did we?

Promethea is joining the JLoA

I think the first arc of Terrifics deals with the search for Tom Strong.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Madkal posted:

I think the first arc of Terrifics deals with the search for Tom Strong.
This was announced at NYCC last year, yeah.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Been rereading Waid’s FF run and ok I guess MAYBE Hickman’s is better overall but drat Waid’s run is just so good y’all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Although I like them both a lot, I honestly think Simonson is better than Waid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I finished Gotham Central.

Man, is Gotham Central loving incredible

• Locked thread