Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Happy new years everyone

Let's hope this one's better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No one likes iggy azalea

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This is Tamra's tweet the anon is referencing btw

https://twitter.com/TBonvillain/status/948009906698883072

tbh I'm probably a little biased here considering I'm trans as well, but I was not impressed by Jim not being willing to even broach the subject of d&c being a troll who directs harassment campaigns against woman, poc, and queer people because he's a bigot, even when his own co-creator is being targeted

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
whats the walking out the door test

efb

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so...its just which book has a cover that interests them more

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbf ultimate hulk eating people started in millars original series

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Nancy grace still being a thing is far and away the more surprising thing here

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Like is anyone really surprised that a guy who at least used to think beating your wife was a thing to do and saying women should be seen and not heard thought it was okay to sexually harass women

And i know i made fun of Nancy Grace but i dunno that it's appropriate to second guess the claims because the victim went to her and not another outlet

site fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 9, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay I'm not gonna go to bat for the daily mail

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Edge & Christian posted:

Is there a history of Stan Lee saying this or are you basing this on how he wrote Reed Richards five or six decades ago? Or should I say how Jack Kirby wrote Reed Richards and then noted dirtbag Stan Lee took credit for Jack Kirby's sexual violence and misogyny?

That's why I said used to genius

And your stunning aha gotcha might have been worth a poo poo of Stan had seen the drawing and made Jack change it but instead he thought it was okay to print so I'm not sure what your point is

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I havent seen any claims of kirby committing sexual harassment, but he was at least misogynistic back in the day so if you've heard something i wouldnt dismiss it out of hand

If you're saying hes a rapist thats youre claim not mine

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Edge & Christian posted:

Not speaking to the credibility of the accusations against Stan Lee in 2017, but "being involved with the publication of work featuring a character was sexist several decades ago" is a weird Exhibit A for certitude that he is probably a sex criminal.

Published work can establish patterns of thought and behavior that lend credence to a claim of harassment, but you already knew that you disingenuous, insufferable shitbag

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The Olympics started being fake as soon as they stopped mandating that everyone compete naked imo

site fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 10, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Olympics became lame the year they started clearing and securing the marathon course so the runnners didn't have to dodge traffic and angry stray dogs anymore.

This guy gets it

The Olympics got lame once runners stopped being able to dope up on rat poison

site fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 10, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Aphrodite posted:

Imagine the steroid testing savings alone.

1904 Olympics owned

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1904_Summer_Olympics posted:

Thomas Hicks (a Briton running for the United States) was the first to cross the finish-line legally, after having received from his trainers several doses of strychnine sulfate (a common rat poison, which stimulates the nervous system in small doses) mixed with brandy. He was supported by his trainers when he crossed the finish, but is still considered the winner

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Edge & Christian posted:

Because I guess I need to provide a disclaimer that I do not ask this in any way to discredit or question the accounts of real life women in 2018 or diminish any real life wrongdoing, but going back to the very reasonable posting of the person who just called me a shitbag:

Did the Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four have any incidents of actual physical domestic abuse? I know that Reed Richards was frequently an arrogant jerk and told Susan that wives are for kissing, not talking, but I am sure people here have read the run more recently than I have. The only time I can remember Reed Richards slapping the Invisible Woman was during John Byrne's run on the book in the 1980s.

None of this has anything to do with what appear to be credible accusations against the real person of Stan Lee. It bears no reflection on any conversation or person engaging in conversation here or anywhere else, I'm merely curious now.

Edge & Christian posted:

Is there a history of Stan Lee saying this or are you basing this on how he wrote Reed Richards five or six decades ago? Or should I say how Jack Kirby wrote Reed Richards and then noted dirtbag Stan Lee took credit for Jack Kirby's sexual violence and misogyny?

Edge & Christian posted:

So long as we agree that Jack Kirby is also probably a rapist, as are essentially everyone who has worked in the comics industry 1938-present and let's be honest, everyone who has lived.

yes i in fact totally believe that you "remembered" that byrne wrote this panel (which i will accept being wrong about, it looks like it did occur in Fantastic Four issue 281, written by john byrne) and didn't have to look it up after you dragged jack kirby into it, saying that he wrote it, and then tried to insinuate that i called kirby a rapist. because i am the very unreasonable one in this, you have done nothing wrong at all. i also totally believe this had nothing to do with you getting called out by several other members of the sub for making that post and that that's why you are willfully ignoring that those posts ever happened. also i'd like to note that this is now shifting away from acknowledgment that misogyny in general can contribute to behavior that can lead to sexual harassment, and is now attempting to move to saying that it's only when domestic violence is shown that can be contributory. sure, i was wrong about who made that slap panel, but i am unwilling to go along with your shifting goalposts here

so, let's take a look at some other panels that do show some misogyny

oh yeah did i mention the plotline to this story is that living laser has a crush on janet so the obvious thing to do is kidnap her, but i know i know VILLAINS absolves people of criticism when coming up with these stories right?

tbh im just throwing up image links from a quick google because i am very much not the first person to talk about this online and this post is already taking up enough of my time. there are a few other panels but tbh since they arent labelled and they dont immediately strike me as kirby art i cant place who wrote it by frame of reference

here's a quote about how stan felt about carol danvers

marvel comics the untold story, ch 9 posted:

Ms. Marvel had also been conceived as a trademark strategy (and an empty gesture toward feminism), but Chris Claremont had transformed her into a carefully shaded character by dwelling on her relationships with her parents and the challenges of her career. “We’re trying to appeal to a female audience, trying to make her a hip, happening, 70s woman striking out on her own,” Claremont recalled. “We say to the artist, ‘ . . . and we need her to look sexy.’ Well, his interpretation of sexy was derived from the ’40s, so what we got was a continuous series of crotch shots.” Claremont lobbied to get his old X-Men partner Dave Cockrum on the title, and they went through several dozen costume redesigns, trying to get it just right. No one had invested so much energy into a female superhero before, and, as Cockrum observed, no one else much cared. “When I brought in the one that was ultimately approved, Stan said, ‘why didn’t you bring me this one first? This is what I’m after . . . tits and rear end.’ ”

hell, here's a quote from stan regarding what he thinks about mcu movies starring women

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/stan-lee-names-inhumans-as-631742 posted:

Elsewhere in the same interview, Lee explains that he doesn't think that Marvel is in any rush to offer up a movie with a female lead anytime soon. "The thing is, the women like these movies as much as the guys," he said. "So we don't have to knock ourselves out finding a female."

the feeeemales

anyways, unless you accuse me of calling someone a rapist again, im gonna let this be my last post so as to not get trouble with x-o

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
omg if you value your sanity you won't watch that video it's ridiculous

Instead do like i did last night, if you're an old and like these games, and use this awesome custom emu to play GoldenEye and pd at 60fps with a keyboard/mouse setup

http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=7045

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

A Strange Aeon posted:

That's definitely a better use of time--can you do multiplayer too? It'd be interesting to play split screen multiplayer over the Internet. I'm sure some indie game already does this, now that I've typed it out.

Ummmm i don't think so?? But tbh I've never tried, you should check the readme

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Did the same thing this week don't feel too bad

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Marvel cheap af

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think Stan Lee said he wrote it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Jeeze is vision really that old already

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so i finally wrapped back around to reading through stormwatch v2 and am now reading the authority and lmao it's kinda ridiculous how much millar used this as a template for the ultimates

site fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 13, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It is just fantasy

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No escape from reality

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Vincent posted:

hosed up that y'all ain't doing this with a Britney song tbh

I bet you're fun at parties

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I musta missed the post where they're quoting Britney lyrics and not just popping in to spoil others fun

site fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 15, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Who here wants some "Divorce Anystyle"

No fault divorce is good

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wasn't the writer at this time some super weirdo evangelical or something

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

I noticed there's nothing in that synopsis about her ever rejecting Nazism but i suppose evangelicalism is pretty much the same thing

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Archie comics needs to get a lawyer

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

Sounds like Tribute were the ones that hosed up here.

Oh yeah, you're right. Tribute get a lawyer

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
rt if you would perform better during boring tasks if you could dress up as Batman

https://twitter.com/wef/status/953009039587254272

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
roth i hope for all those books they gave you a percentage ownership in your lcs

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I just have CBR, bleeding cool and a bunch of comic journos on my twitter feed cuz I've never seen a comics based website that doesn't look like poo poo and have a billions ads per page

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
My friend just picked up some book at the newsstand with a guy in blue tights picking up a car on the cover he said it was called action something

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Madkal posted:

And more!

:cheers:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So I came across an interesting thread about readability and panel layout in manga and I'm just curious to see if anybody has thoughts about it

https://twitter.com/matt_thorn_en/status/954370209380368384

Do you sometimes get tripped up reading a book and think having a set style like this for reading efficiency would benefit western comics or do you think that panel layout being dependant on what the creator wants is better? Is shortening the time it takes to read an issue even something you care about?

Personally, I think having a setup like this could benefit the more character driven stories where there is not much action taking place, but I also think that the more abstract nature of western panel creation allows for a lot of keneticism and really I've just just seen way too many cool splash pages & double page spreads to wanna give that up so I can get through an issue faster

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It doesn't take that long to get used to it. Just a couple days ago I read so much manga that when i went to read a western comic it took a couple minutes for me to figure out that it wasn't making any sense cuz I hadn't switched back to left->right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well you have to remember they're vertical because the original text is Japanese which is written vertically it's not just for effect lol

• Locked thread