Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think manga series were getting collected editions pretty early on compared to comics, so I think there's less of a drive to go out and collect every issue of Jump with Dragonball in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Edge & Christian posted:

I don't think any big publisher is that dumb about things anymore, though up until recently I was 100% convinced Boom was just uploading scans of their own comics to piracy sites.

That sounds like an entertaining story.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The guys behind Lasagna Cat did a panel at Mega 64 gamedays this year where they auctioned off props.

Still disappointed that I didn't win Exploded Penis B

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've decided that as fun as keeping up with weekly comics has been for the past couple of years, I think I'm happier with trade waiting.

Which is why tomorrow will be the last week I get weekly stuff, and will be cancelling my pull list with my LCS.

Edit - Which means, I no longer have a huge money sink.

Roth fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 17, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

You get the biggest hauls in the shipping thread. Why not just cut it way down?

My problem is that I inevitably go: "Eh, just one or two more new series won't hurt" and then it spirals out of control from there. I think the kicker was looking at my earnings statement for the year and thinking on just how much of that was spent on comics I read once.

I don't mind going to trade only.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

You get the biggest hauls in the shipping thread. Why not just cut it way down?

I took another look at what I've been pulling, and I've cut it down significantly by cutting out a lot of the books I was just kinda enjoying, and keeping the ones I was really liking.

I also get rid of the Image books since I'm tired of those going on frequent hiatus' and most of them are better read in trades anyway.

So now I have reduced my pull list down from 100+ titles to 62 so far, of which quite a bit seems to be ending soon.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm down to $25-50 a week. No worries

site posted:

roth i hope for all those books they gave you a percentage ownership in your lcs

They're letting me keep that 25% discount I was getting, at least.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm aware that it's still quite a bit, but I think it's way more manageable now compared to what I was doing before.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Madkal posted:

Just tell us if you need an intervention* buddy.

*I know this isn't how interventions work

:ohdear:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jordan7hm posted:

Eh, I think you came into more disposable income at some point and just ended up sinking a lot of it into comics, right? I totally get it, I've done the same with other forms of entertainment. The serial nature of the form makes it a bit easier to drop regular amounts of money on it than if you just go a bit nuts buying a console and a bunch of games or something.

Yeah, pretty much. I started up my first job that wasn't just a temporary one month thing last year, and not having much in the way of expenses that just led to adding on more and more.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Madkal posted:

May I introduce you into the world of.....CRAFT BEER!

Please no

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Is BSS Discord server still around?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Guy Goodbody posted:

If you liked Watchmen, you might like Haikyu

The gimmick's old now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

February thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848066

• Locked thread