Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Collecting manga issues would be difficult. Instead of getting one 32 page issue of Superman a month, you get a 500 page copy of Shonen Jump every week. And that's just one magazine. If you're buying Gundam Ace and Big Comic and Monthly Shonen Magazine, trying to store them all would get difficult pretty fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jordan7hm posted:

Someone mentioned this at the end of the last thread, and I think it needs to be reiterated: why the hell is Lone Wolf and Cub only available in those lovely little DH books? Give me an oversized collection.

It looks like Dark Horse is releasing a Gallery Edition with "selections" of the work, but I want the whole thing.

Dark Horse fuckin' sucks. They just stopped releasing new volumes of Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, they let Battle Angle Alita stay out of print for a decade until the movie was announced, and they stopped releasing Blood Blockade Battlefront until the anime came out and was a hit.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Morrison is really good

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah Achewood at its best (which includes Great Outdoor Fight, but it really helps to know the characters) is undeniably a GOAT comic

It's a shame the dude went crazy and stole a bunch of people's money.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samuringa posted:

Are you thinking about pictures for sad children's John Campbell or is that a recurring thing with webcomic artists

The Achewood dude did it a lot quieter. He launched a monthly subscription for "extra content" and then stopped putting out free content, and then stopped putting out extra content. And also he stopped shipping out people's orders from his store.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Promethea massively popular and I'm the strange one for barely being aware of it? I get Watchmen, that's a well known popular comic, but bringing in Promethea and whoever else just seems like they're specifically trying to get Alan Moore mad.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

He doesn't think he's a wizard so I think he still comes out ahead.

Wait, do you really think not thinking yourself to be a wizard is better than fully believing that you are a wizard?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If the Olympics got rid of dressage and speed walking they'd have room to bring in pole dancing and bring back tug of war.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

The Olympics started being fake as soon as they stopped mandating that everyone compete naked imo

The Olympics became lame the year they started clearing and securing the marathon course so the runnners didn't have to dodge traffic and angry stray dogs anymore.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CharlestheHammer posted:

They have but you can't do the "take all accusations seriously " and do this poo poo.

You just can't.

watch me, bich

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kai Tave posted:

I thought the latest iteration of the argument over whether Man of Steel is a good movie or not would be the dumbest thing I read on BSS lately but instead it turns out it's this.

Man of Steel is a bad movie.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think that whether or not you like the DC movies, literally everyone can agree that it would be better DC had decided to do a cinematic universe based on Weird War Tales

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Strange Aeon posted:

I think it's an interesting performance piece that uses a Garfield comic as a launching point.

You're wrong, it's an interesting dissection of a comic. It doesn't use the strip as a "launching point", it starts at the comic and digs down into every aspect of it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endless Mike posted:

They were publishing Sonic comics, which were a big part of their revenue. Sega didn't renew their license. That's it.

Sega chose not to renew the license after a Sega executive on a whim decided to buy an issue of Sonic for his son, read it, and was like "holy poo poo this is terrible"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just get a findom to tell you how much you can spend on comics

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Gun kata was a thing well before the matrix, but the matrix was the first time a bunch of white people did it.

Gun Kata is from Equilibrium, not The Matrix

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Pretty sure those are the same film.

You have said some offensive things in the past, but that is beyond the pale.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just found out recently that Frank Miller did a run on Elektra

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
My LCS has the hardcover Howard the Duck omnibus on clearance for 30 bucks. I was going to get it, obviously, but it only has his early appearances and the full run of the Howard the Duck comic. Which would be fine, but if I want to read the Howard the Duck Magazine afterwards, I have to get the softcover Howard the Duck the Complete Collection. volumes. Which would be ok, except that that the Complete Collection starts the magazine in volume 2, with the first issue. Volume 2 is like, issues 17-33 of the comic, and then issue one of the magazine. So I'd have to buy the whole dang thing for that single issue.

Marvel wants to know why they're losing market share? That is why they're losing market share

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hadn't actually thought about it before, but yeah sometimes the layout of Western comics has confused me. I can't remember that ever happening in manga. i don't think it's an issue of speed so much as clarity. Speed is a byproduct, you read faster if you just instinctively know what panel to look at next. But a confusing or non-instinctive layout, unless it's done on purpose for some kind of effect, negatively effects the reading experience more than it just slows you down

I'm not sure why you think that would limit western comics very much, Manga has tons of kinetic and unusual panel layouts and two page spreads

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

God, reading right to left is such a pain.

It's actually really good

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think this is a good example of that T rule the dude was tweeting about

the division lines between the panels don't match up, so just visually you can tell that the panels on the left are a thing, then the stack of four panels in the middle, then the ones on the right. and it's all reinforced by the word bubbles going over the panels lines. Which not only draw the eye to the next panel, but also makes it clear that Coach Ukai is shouting across the court and breaking into everyone's attention.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I could go on posting two page spreads from Haikyuu for awhile, they are all fantastic

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skwirl posted:

I like the ones with mirrored art so I can read them left to right.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I read that Vision comic you guys are always on about. It's really good

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Covok posted:

You know what's really grinding my gears lately? Trades. More specifically, writing for trades. Everything is getting written for trade nowadays so every story line has to be 6 parts. That's really tiring and leads to a lot of padding. I heard that some Transformers comics sometimes try to go for either two three-parters in a row or three two-parters in a row so that trades can be made of smaller stories. I really wish more people did that.

They could just do an ongoing story and put out trades whenever they have enough material

That would also have the benefit of series that go for more than three years. loving christ, Marvel. Every loving series just goes for a bit and then stops and then starts again. look at this poo poo

https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Marvel-Higher-Further-Faster/dp/0785190139/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516580478&sr=8-1&keywords=captain+marvel

https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Marvel-Earths-Mightiest-Hero/dp/1302901273/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1516580478&sr=8-4&keywords=captain+marvel

https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Marvel-Vol-Alpha-Flight/dp/0785196420/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1516580478&sr=8-5&keywords=captain+marvel

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Captain-Marvel-Vol/dp/1302906054/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1516580478&sr=8-14&keywords=captain+marvel

Four different Captain Marvel Volume 1s.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The son of a NY firefighter who died on 9/11 must team up with Hani Hanjour's daughter to discover the truth of what happened that fateful day.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you liked Watchmen, you might like Haikyu

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Isn't it pronounced "gay men"?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Good thing I haven't had much call to say his name out loud. I would've looked foolish.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sinteres posted:

Yeah, it seems like one of those things where people who don't know much think Stan Lee is a superstar without peer because of his self promotion, then people who read about it find out the artists were really important too, so then other people want to take it the next step to be really smart and say actually Stan Lee didn't do anything important at all. As much as the idea gets mocked, sometimes the truth really is in the middle, and it's worth remembering that while Stan Lee definitely exaggerated his importance for a very long time, and gave credit only grudgingly later, perhaps the artists themselves weren't 100% reliable narrators either.

The Edison/Tesla phenomenon.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Or lied / bullshitted about it.

Tesla was an underappreciated genius for years but some people (hi Oatmeal) are overcorrecting.

Yeah, Tesla wrote "Death Ray! (maybe from space??)" on a napkin and suddenly he's a steampunk hero

Meanwhile Edison invented a relatively painless instant execution method for an elephant already condemned to die and that gets spun like he just loved killing elephants

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That elephant was going to die no matter what. Edison gave it a better death than the hanging that was planned.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Comics are in a weird place where they can have like, graphic beheadings and torture but not say poo poo or show a boob

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vincent posted:

Truly, we are lucky that freedom fighters like Jim Balent are courageously are tearing down this wall of oppression.

Honestly, I'd prefer it if they toned down the violence in mainline superhero comics. I just remember the last page of the first issue of Green Lantern for the New 52 was a big full page of a couple of beheaded corpses, neck stumps pointed at the viewer. It's like, why? You couldn't get away with that in an actual Green Lantern movie. It was so off putting and unnecessary.

Don't get me wrong, I love tits and gore. I would never want to see an end to tits and gore comics. I love Murcielago. But for something that has a kid's show on the Cartoon Network and kid's toys in the toy aisle at Target, there's such a thing as too much

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's another thing to consider, they executed Topsy in front of the other elephants

That was common, if a circus animal killed or attacked a human, they would kill it in front of the other animals. Because they believed seeing one of their own punished would deter the others from committing the same crime

That's a true fact about what people in the past thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samuringa posted:

Gotta get'em before it's too late

Is that series any good?

• Locked thread