Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

Contributing positively to a discussion about a complex issue like mental health is more possible when you have, you know, actually played the game in question.

But I both have PTSD myself and experienced first-hand even more extreme mental illness, it's something I've experience with in a tangible way, particularly in regards to the lack of resources available to help address it and the widespread ignorance of certain conditions. Since, again, my post is largely about the attitudes surrounding mental illness, specifically as voiced ITT, more than the game in question, and I am upfront in saying I've not played the game, what's your issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

a frantic bystander, kneeling beside their catatonic loved one: Is there a doctor in the house?!
me, boldly stepping forward: I've both played and read about video games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

I wondered. I trapped the parrot the first time and it seemed like was either that or not getting the perfume, since I was kind of trying to speedrun my way to the second worst ending. I didn't hear any audio cue to indicate that it was the parrot though and the guide I was kind of looking at said to ignore it. :shrug: Thanks though. Have you played through Clocktower? Any other advice?

I've played through it a couple of times and have gotten the best and worst endings.

If you're looking to speedrun it, the easiest way to get the worst ending is to go into the broken hallway (the collapsed one at the beginning of the game), pick up a rock there, use the rock to break open a crack in the wall. This will create a path that, for whatever reason, automatically lets you dodge the Scissorman when you go through it. Then all you'll have to do is go through that hole you made to trigger an encounter with Bobby, go back through the hole again in order to lose him, and then get on your way to whatever ending you're looking for.

Another tip is that there are a couple of rooms that get swapped around but none of said rooms are important and you'd never have to enter them iirc. Also, there are some events that exclude other events, so if you see one then you won't be able to see the other. The biggest one is probably later in the story where you can either find mr barrows OR the corpse of your father but not both. Also also, there is an item in the game needed for getting to the endgame but there is a chance that that item will not spawn and will instead be replaced with an encounter with Bobby, in which case you will need to go do some extra side stuff in order to get a separate item that will let you into the endgame.

Lastly, there's an item iirc that is on the other side of a book case or a shelf or something, but you can't reach it unless you are being chased because you won't try to climb over it to the other side unless you're being chased.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Cool. I saw that items could be in certain places and that rooms could be mixed up, but I didn't know about the different choices. I'll try and make a save state there so we don't have to replay the game to see both scenes.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
These wall of text tutorials in MonHun World are really intimidating. It's weird how it throws this avalanche of auxilary info at you and doesn't explain the fundamentals at all.

Thank god my friend told me how to get into the practice mode

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nina posted:

These wall of text tutorials in MonHun World are really intimidating. It's weird how it throws this avalanche of auxilary info at you and doesn't explain the fundamentals at all.

Yeah and this is the simplified baby MH lol.

Fortunately the start of the game is easy enough that you can do completely boneheaded stuff and still advance.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Nina posted:

I can't deny that they can shove a lot of information in 6 point font over four pages when you do something like open your item box, but there's like an 80% chance that you'll have a question about something 10 hours later that will have been answered by those tutorial tips. At the same time, I kind of feel like the developers expected a certain amount of community talk to help new players understand some of the basics. Like, I don't think the game ever specifically states that you want to be dumping your item pouch into the item box after every mission and restocking the essentials for your next quest. This can be done with three button presses once you make an item set, but there were a few goons I was playing with who would run out of pouch space and not understand how they were supposed to be gathering items without room to store them.

At the same time, World puts all the materials that can only be used for crafting, like monster scales and bones, into a separate pouch. That little change is a huge improvement over the previous entries, where your 30 spaces meant that you often had to make a run with the intent to gather items or the intent to hunt monsters. Here, with the other quality of life improvement of having unlimited bug nets, fishing poles, and pickaxes that don't take up your item space, you can do everything all the time. And you can empty out your pouch at the camps at any time, meaning you can stay in the field for hours if you wanted.

I got on a bit of a rant there, but since you mentioned just finding the training grounds, check out the weapon info pages in the Hunter's Guide (accessible from the Start menu). It has a simple breakdown of every weapon and their useful combos, as well as explanations of what makes them unique.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

Cool. I saw that items could be in certain places and that rooms could be mixed up, but I didn't know about the different choices. I'll try and make a save state there so we don't have to replay the game to see both scenes.

Interesting thing to note: assuming you are playing on an emulator, try turning off the various sprite layers while you're in the trophy room. I forget which layer in particular, but basically there is an event in the game that was never fully programmed in but there are parts of it still in the game. It involves going into the trophy room, checking the wardrobe/cabinet/whatever twice (I forget if you have to leave after the first time and then come back), and you'll get a short scene that doesn't really do anything at all.

The PS1 rerelease of the game (Clock Tower: First Fear) incorporated that event into the game itself by turning it into one of those panic moments where you have to fight or escape, and the way you fight is by using an item that was only obtainable in the snes game through cheating, an item that didn't actually have any uses.

Essentially it's just a neat little thing where the original game had all the components for this one completely inconsequential scare and I don't know why it was scrapped but they took those parts and actually finished it for the PS1 release.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I am upfront in saying I've not played the game, what's your issue?

Dog the issue is that you haven't played the game

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I remember seeing one of these types of messages as a child when I guess I must have put a cart in not all the way or something and being scared shitless that the cart somehow was going to tell Nintendo I was stealing games or something.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Oh poo poo it knows I'm human!!!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

predicting the existence of always online drm when you're a kid is pretty smart kudos

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Knack is one of the free PS+ games next month. Gonna unironically play and maybe even enjoy it

Also now taking suggestions for next month's thread title (I wasn't paying attention earlier)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Bipedal kitty cats freak me the gently caress out

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
"Bayonetta" as many times as the title character limit will let you.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNkMYx4lYaU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

"Bayonetta" as many times as the title character limit will let you.

I mean, I feel if I was gonna put a rerelease game in the title it will be Shadow of the Colossus

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It's time to pretend the Wiiu never existed and this is just the initial release.

Sorry Tokyo Megami Hashtag Iron you're dying in the crossfire here.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

glam rock hamhock posted:

Knack is one of the free PS+ games next month. Gonna unironically play and maybe even enjoy it

Also now taking suggestions for next month's thread title (I wasn't paying attention earlier)

Knack is such a weird game, it's like obviously supposed to be for kids but then they made it almost brutally difficult on normal. There's so little to it it's barely there.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
Iconoclast is very fun. Reminds me a little of owlboy and megaman mashup. Story is actually really good!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Grand Kingdom is also on PS Plus for February on PS4/Vita. I think I was the only person in the world to play it last year, it's like a semi-Vanillaware looking strategy RPG that's centered around moving up or down 3 lanes with your 4-person team. Very fun game that didn't get any press when it was released.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hahahahahaha it finally happened!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I mean, I feel if I was gonna put a rerelease game in the title it will be Shadow of the Colossus

You should go with the better game. Which is Bayonetta :colbert:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have been waiting for this for years. Soon it will be complete

Thread title should be February Chat Thread: Return of the Knack

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

Grand Kingdom is also on PS Plus for February on PS4/Vita. I think I was the only person in the world to play it last year, it's like a semi-Vanillaware looking strategy RPG that's centered around moving up or down 3 lanes with your 4-person team. Very fun game that didn't get any press when it was released.

After looking up what this game even is, I am excited to play it now.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Oh hey, speaking of TitP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNnFFZ5kniM

e: It’s a hell of a job for the new sheriff, Lilly Reed (voiced by Sarah Hamilton, of the celebrated adventure saga The Longest Journey). She has to maintain order and peace even though her subordinates are uncouth men who aren’t used to receiving commands from a young woman. But everything changes when a mysterious stranger calling himself Warren Nash appears in Sharpwood. And no one knows what he'll bring to the town: salvation or perdition.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 31, 2018

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Knack is honestly distracting away from what is a really good PS+ month with Grand Kingdom and Rime and even Spelunker if you still have your PS3 hooked up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > February is Knack History Month

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > February is Knack History Month

This is gonna be hard to beat

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Getting the strawberry in this room made me feel like I had suddenly forgotten all my platforming skills. What a deceptively tricky room

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Samuringa posted:

No one could've possibly played all good games that came out in 2017, there's a buffer there for two, maybe three years.
i feel like 2018 is not going to be as good as 2017 so there's time to play your backlog

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

A+ title.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Macaluso posted:

Getting the strawberry in this room made me feel like I had suddenly forgotten all my platforming skills. What a deceptively tricky room

The hotel was easily the most difficult chapter for me to deal with. For some reason I just have trouble timing those moving dust motes. Dreading that B-side

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Time to Replayonetta Bayonetta

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Who made you thread king???!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Macaluso posted:

the game doesnt really infer that you can press up and jump at the peak of anything you're clinging to, that took me a while to discover. seems like it'd be a given but not many games like this let you do that.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
you have to do it to beat the first chapter, the moving spotlight platforms on the very last screen, but you're standing on those then iirc, so you gotta connect those dots yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

february chat thread: bayonetta twee

• Locked thread