Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Lizard People are cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
:hai:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Lizard People will make the perfect dregs for Ainz-Sama

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I didn't sign up for a show about lizard people. Is any of this actually worth watching in regards to the show as a whole, or is it a dumb aside?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Id say it has a good pay off.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ViggyNash posted:

I didn't sign up for a show about lizard people. Is any of this actually worth watching in regards to the show as a whole, or is it a dumb aside?

Just watch the fun lizard people.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ViggyNash posted:

I found the Lizardman arc to be insanely boring in the Light Novel. It's literally just Ainz testing his guardians to see how the accurate the loyalty and personality traits specifically written into their RP descriptions are in the new world. He intentionally puts Cocytus in a position where he can't win despite having explicit orders to do so to see what would happen.

The next arc after that is "The Men in the Kingdom" and it is more of the stuff people liked about the first season's arcs. I question how descriptive they'll get regarding a specific event (what preceeds what we see isn't shown or described, just the aftermath) which is gross/depressing but well that gets fixed.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 17, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

I found the Lizardman arc to be insanely boring in the Light Novel. It's literally just Ainz testing his guardians to see how the accurate the loyalty and personality traits specifically written into their RP descriptions are in the new world. He intentionally puts Cocytus in a position where he can't win despite having explicit orders to do so to see what would happen.

The next arc after that is "The Men in the Kingdom" and it is more of the stuff people liked about the first season's arcs.

Cocyutus totally could have won. The Lizard People were just better then they thought.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

where was the huge skeleton

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ViggyNash posted:

This isn't a dumb aside, it's something instigated entirely by Ainz on purpose.

As for how it relates to Nazarick, it's mildly important because it's a plan by Ainz to test something and it's Cocytus's character development arc(like how the mind control arc was heavily focused on Shalltear). On its own, the lizardmen characters are endearing and it's the first time in Overlord where you get to see a faction native to the world have to deal with Nazarick's overwhelming power(besides Generic Forgettable Priest Ninjas and a couple of individual cultists like Khajit/Clementine).

It's not super long. I'd bet on two more episodes, maybe three if they really wanted to stretch the conclusion.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I guess it's boring if you only care about the overall narrative, I found it an interesting experience with regards to writing non-human societies and the lizard people have some interesting personalities to them and watching them work together is interesting.

It isn't tense, but it's still interesting to watch.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I'm hoping for one more episode.
While endearing, the lizardman arc is not why I read the manga/ watch the anime.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I'm still reading the novels when I have time... darker than the manga/anime and also there is more information which is intriguing but I also guess nothing comes of it from what people have indicated.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
There is a planned end for the novels, so I expect it to sort of culminate towards that end.

But some decisions are still really strange from a narrative perspective. It kinda feels like a plot written by a dungeon master rather than an author.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

I guess it's boring if you only care about the overall narrative, I found it an interesting experience with regards to writing non-human societies and the lizard people have some interesting personalities to them and watching them work together is interesting.

It isn't tense, but it's still interesting to watch.

If this was it's own show, I would be super into it. The problem I have is that there was no preamble to explain what the hell these lizard people have to do with anything so non-ln watchers will be super confused.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ViggyNash posted:

If this was it's own show, I would be super into it. The problem I have is that there was no preamble to explain what the hell these lizard people have to do with anything so non-ln watchers will be super confused.

It was like that in the novel, too, actually.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
I loved the lizardman arc, hell its still my favorite of all the books, so i'm really happy their animating this.

Also from the looks of the OP, this season gonna cover the lizardman arc and the later jadalbaoth arc. Which is prolly the best stopping point as the series really goes to poo poo after that.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I still don't get why everyone thinks the series goes to poo poo after volume 6.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you don't get a lot of things about human behavior

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

ViggyNash posted:

Albedo mentioned at the end of season 1 that there was a village of lizard people nearby and it'd be super cool if Ainz-sama~ went and slaughtered them all before raising a massive undead army. So it's not exactly like they come out of left field.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Grouchio posted:

I still don't get why everyone thinks the series goes to poo poo after volume 6.

Because nothing of worth happens and the skeleton is never significantly challenged

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain_duck posted:

I loved the lizardman arc, hell its still my favorite of all the books, so i'm really happy their animating this.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I really didn't like how the last season ended and I really don't care for lizardmen but I guess I'll watch it for cg skeletons, albedo and hopefully another grasp hearto

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't mind the lizards, and based on what we've seen so far they are more interesting than the tiny bits of Overlard minions doing whatever pointless eeeeeviiil minion things they do.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

Because nothing of worth happens and the skeleton is never significantly challenged

That is a general problem with a lot of issekai novels honestly. There are other reasons to watch things besides the idea that tension is a thing.

As for the lizardmen, you already were told what they are, they are a target of annihilation.

That's all you really need to think about it. Also Ainz is the baddie.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

That's all you really need to think about it. Also Ainz is the baddie.

he's really loving halfhearted about it though. Like imagine if the series had him pull more poo poo like the first episode where he went full evil megalomaniac.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think it works better when it forgets about the MMO trappings that it has to be relatable. It reminds me way more of the time back when I played NWN PWs and some allowed you to play things like drop, liches and vampires and you could make guilds that reminds me more of what Overlord shows and the world-wide wars for territory we had.

It also was an interesting dichotomy between players being civil and being dicks while role-playing. It could even make me feel somewhat similar to Ainz with trying to live up to expectations of being a sort of Messiah in the eyes of some people and an Apostate to others.

Of course the era being what it was, we also experienced sometimes guild members not returning because it turned out they died or lost their homes due to bombing or being raided by military troops.

Overlord resonates me for these reasons, but I realize it's not a really common experience anymore.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Namtab posted:

Heh yeah I hope the skeleton murders everyone

same but without the irony.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ainz is mostly hapless and inadvertantly/unintentionally evil at first and does legitimately good things sometimes.

Later he just becomes kind of a petty head case and does some really awful poo poo because he is still in the yggdrasil "it's a game" mindset.

Also the evil alligned guardians and npcs are REALLY loving evil when left to their own devices. Demiurge and Shalltear particularly since their creators were an edgelord and a pervert respectively.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Mordaedil posted:

I think it works better when it forgets about the MMO trappings that it has to be relatable. It reminds me way more of the time back when I played NWN PWs and some allowed you to play things like drop, liches and vampires and you could make guilds that reminds me more of what Overlord shows and the world-wide wars for territory we had. It also was an interesting dichotomy between players being civil and being dicks while role-playing.
Which ones? Think you mentioned this in the Netoge thread, but it's interesting hearing about PWs since they were often wildly different from each other. (besides most being run by lunatics)

Jackard fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 18, 2018

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I played the vampire on one of those run by lunatics. I got banned from that one after pissing off one of the DM's. They also had really wild rules and their attempt at making gaseous form was really broken, leading to my character permanent dying because someone abused a bug that dealt damage.

I played a cleric on 3kds (The Three Kingdoms), where I joined a mafia family, and some guy who worshiped the evil god of the setting was quitting, decided to let me inherit his position as the Apostate(I realize the implication here, but it sounded really evil to 18 year old me), which led to me getting the kiss of death from the mafioso father figure and be essentially buried in the desert before being brought back to life and recruited by the evil gang leading the most hated guild on the server. Well, both guilds were hated really, but for different reasons. Some people really didn't feel like mafia were really at home in a medieval setting. Sadly, shortly after this happened, the server suddenly got really hard-assed about enforcing RPing every little minute thing, performed a server-wide wipe and a lot of players ended up stopping to play as they started punishing really minor transgressions. I held out because I was as good at English as I was, but I lost a lot of friends just because they didn't like the idea of being in character at all times.

It was rough, knowing what a lot of those people were going through, once I found out they were quite literally from all over the world.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Overlord II is a shonen anime with lizards.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I should probably be thankful that they're skimming through this arc. Otherwise I fear many Overlord fans would drop out of boredom. I'm enjoying it, but I can see why people would react this way.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Hey I made the original of that :3:

I can't wait to see my lizard son and his gf work together with this new tribe

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Zeruel posted:

Hey I made the original of that :3:

I can't wait to see my lizard son and his gf work together with this new tribe

Post the papi

Aug 24, 2011

where the gently caress is the skeleton?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

where the red fern gropes posted:

where the gently caress is the skeleton?

Quite a few showed up this episode including the main one.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

That was a pretty good battle overall, Next episode or after we could be returning to the 'good guys' again, also that elder lich maybe screwing up big time if the lizard man tribes start talking to the kingdoms that aware of lord Ains, Luckily for them they all hate each others guts, and maybe lizard mans more

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That was an elder lich? It was so weak and pathetic it only had level 3 spells and got taken out by a couple of lizards. What kind of low level trash mob did it used to be? What is a normal lich, stuck casting single magic missiles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 24, 2011

Poil posted:

That was an elder lich? It was so weak and pathetic it only had level 3 spells and got taken out by a couple of lizards. What kind of low level trash mob did it used to be? What is a normal lich, stuck casting single magic missiles?

it was actually just a regular lich who was really old and never upgraded its skills due to senility