Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Old thread got the unable to view pagenumber bug so it got locked. Here's the new one where we can mourn our favorite vg series, laugh at MG Survive, cuss Konami and deliver 10,000 word posts on MGS lore. Oh, and wait for Death Stranding, whatever the gently caress that game is.
https://twitter.com/ParametricPalta/status/1579727595096408065?s=20&t=Yzwcr-bDyOMOy_Q_EP2F9w

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I admit I started it just to share this excellent video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QGpsvlrdPA

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
I'm sorry Metal Gear? Is now dead.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
MG survive will be a better game than Death Stranding, because MG survive will have excellent gameplay, while Death Stranding will focus on Kojima's garbage storytelling

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

feelix posted:

MG survive will be a better game than Death Stranding, because MG survive will have excellent gameplay, while Death Stranding will focus on Kojima's garbage storytelling

*leans back in chair satisfied, waiting for the angry responses to start rolling in*

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

DancingShade posted:

*leans back in chair satisfied, waiting for the angry responses to start rolling in*

I mean yeah but I'm also 100% sincere, MGS story is loving terrible even by video game standards and people who think that taking control away from the player for the majority of a game to show a lovely movie is OK are loving morons

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

feelix posted:

feelix posted:

I mean yeah but I'm also 100% sincere, MGS story is loving terrible even by video game standards and people who think that taking control away from the player for the majority of a game to show a lovely movie is OK are loving morons

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

feelix posted:

The movies are mostly good + hilarious and if you don't like them you're probably dumb. Or really justifiably uptight about male gaze in videogames but I don't think that's your tack itt.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I shot some weirdo wearing a box. Who the hell does that?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Whats all this about a Hind D?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i love kojimas games. just get like a massive doobie and just sit back no mom dont come in its a cutscene I CANT PAUSE IT

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Terminally Bored posted:

I admit I started it just to share this excellent video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QGpsvlrdPA

He's right that the first half of the Eastern Europe mission is good and cool and everyone who dislikes it is wrong and stupid.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

feelix posted:

You are a human being

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

feelix posted:

The Orville posted:

You are a human being

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

feelix posted:

Although youre absolutely right, MGS is the only game series in existence where I enjoy the cutscenes

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I wonder if it would add up to an entire game if you watched an hour of MGS4 cutscenes between every MGS5 mission.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

male gaze in videogames

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Willie Tomg posted:

The movies are mostly good + hilarious and if you don't like them you're probably dumb. Or really justifiably uptight about male gaze in videogames but I don't think that's your tack itt.

It's one of the many terrible things about the lovely movies. There's nothing good about them.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I challenge you to name one concrete, specific good thing about the plot without resorting to "you just hate fun" "they're just awesome" etc.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

feelix posted:

I challenge you to name one concrete, specific good thing about the plot without resorting to "you just hate fun" "they're just awesome" etc.

The Boss.

*drops mic*

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

feelix posted:

sad thing is, you may be right. i am not sure about survive. but i am mixed on death stranding.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

feelix posted:

because i learned a ton of weird poo poo about the cold war, millitary tech, international treaties and animals.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because i learned a ton of weird poo poo about the cold war, millitary tech, international treaties and animals.

So it's an incredibly time-inefficient version of aimless Wikipedia browsing, nice

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
the trade towers were still on fire when this game came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iC9xpDSXyI&t=63s

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Willie Tomg posted:

The Boss.

*drops mic*

What about her? Why is she a good character? Why were hours of aimless, poorly acted, pedantic, repetitive dialogue necessary to tell the punchline of "double agent gets sucked in too deep and willingly accepts the brand of a traitor and sacrifices herself for her country"?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

feelix posted:

What about her? Why is she a good character? Why were hours of aimless, poorly acted, pedantic, repetitive dialogue necessary to tell the punchline of "double agent gets sucked in too deep and willingly accepts the brand of a traitor and sacrifices herself for her country"?

because she undercuts the melodramatic James Bond stereotypes of volgin and EVA with her own much better melodrama and materially represents the death of the nation state as Snake is aware of such, as both sovereign national governments and The Boss' legacy alike are quietly smothered from the background by cabals of villains wielding the power of the financial services sector. the apprehension of which was Snake's entire objective.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Willie Tomg posted:

because she undercuts the melodramatic James Bond stereotypes of volgin and EVA with her own much better melodrama and materially represents the death of the nation state as Snake is aware of such, as both sovereign national governments and The Boss' legacy alike are quietly smothered from the background by cabals of villains wielding the power of the financial services sector. the apprehension of which was Snake's entire objective.

That's awesome, why are hours of bad dialogue spoken by terribly written unbelievable unrelatable characters necessary to tell this story that you told in one sentence

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

kojima also directed development of the game parts of the games he directed, as a game director, hth

mgsurvive might turn out good and that'd be cool, but it's building on a foundation kojima directed in the first place so I dunno how it'd be any dunk on him

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Motto posted:

kojima also directed development of the game parts of the games he directed, as a game director, hth

mgsurvive might turn out good and that'd be cool, but it's building on a foundation kojima directed in the first place so I dunno how it'd be any dunk on him

Considering Kojima resisted a reasonable third person camera for ages and a reasonable control scheme for even longer, I firmly believe that there are other people behind the scenes making all the good gameplay decisions and the only thing he's really contributed is "hey let's make a game where you sneak" when he made MG1

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

feelix posted:

That's awesome, why are hours of bad dialogue spoken by terribly written unbelievable unrelatable characters necessary to tell this story that you told in one sentence

Because there's more going on than what I just summarized, a lot of it is worked out through the act of gameplay, lots of it plays off emotions built up through the cutscenes you've established you don't like, and I've had enough of these argues to know that your standards of "terribly/well written" will never be articulated as you demand other people articulate why they like the things they like.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Willie Tomg posted:

Because there's more going on than what I just summarized, a lot of it is worked out through the act of gameplay, lots of it plays off emotions built up through the cutscenes you've established you don't like, and I've had enough of these argues to know that your standards of "terribly/well written" will never be articulated as you demand other people articulate why they like the things they like.

Man, if you experience emotions when you see/hear these horribly unrelateable, inhuman, shallow characters, you must be a sobbing mess any time you encounter any fiction that's not written by an autist

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ah, japes

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

feelix posted:

Man, if you experience emotions when you see/hear these horribly unrelateable, inhuman, shallow characters, you must be a sobbing mess any time you encounter any fiction that's not written by an autist

Happy new year. Gnight.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
The last gaming console I had was a PS2, so I never played MGS4. Has that game aged well?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

KVeezy3 posted:

The last gaming console I had was a PS2, so I never played MGS4. Has that game aged well?

Yes, remarkably well. The basic controls are a standard third person over the shoulder shooter so it's very enjoyable to play

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Willie Tomg posted:

The Boss.

*drops mic*
Hearing about how she is constantly crapped on in Peace Walker when she could easily kill her Saturday morning villain superiors without anyone noticing, really makes her out to be a romanticized character who exists solely to elicit feelings for her, if you never played MGS3. Maybe it is a Japanese thing that went over my head.
We know how you kept it in during WW2 and could take a tank apart in minutes, but would you say nothing and take every form of abuse while playing a good mindless soldier? *villain laugh*

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

feelix posted:

I'm glad the power move to win any argument on the internet is to call somebody an autist

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

littleorv posted:

I'm glad the power move to win any argument on the internet is to call somebody an autist

I mean, considering I'm making the point that the characters don't act in a relatable, human way, don't you think it's appropriate to say that the author who wrote those characters has a mental disorder that prevents him from relating to other humans?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I mean he could just be a bad writer idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

feelix posted:

I mean, considering I'm making the point that the characters don't act in a relatable, human way, don't you think it's appropriate to say that the author who wrote those characters has a mental disorder that prevents him from relating to other humans?

Not really