Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

feelix posted:

I mean he could just be a bad writer idk

so what are some things you Like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Platypus Farm posted:

so what are some things you Like?

I'm reading Slaughterhouse 5 right now and I like it but it's kind of a bummer. Other books I've read recently were Kon-Tiki which was really good, the Martian which was trash, Starship Troopers which was trash, Dune which was pretty good

I like video games that don't have much of a story, or at least tell the story in a non-intrusive way for example Dark Souls

The only exception I'll make is Planescape Torment because the story is just that good

Otherwise, games shouldn't bother with story much, at least not one told in a traditional film or book-like way, because the people writing those stories aren't very good, otherwise they'd be writing films or books

feelix fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 2, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that's how i used to look at video game stories when i was 15 and wanted to seem enlightened and cool and didn't realize i was just being dull as heck

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

The Colonel posted:

that's how i used to look at video game stories when i was 15 and wanted to seem enlightened and cool and didn't realize i was just being dull as heck

so now that you're an adult you understand they're all trash, but you still indulge them? seems sane

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

feelix posted:

I'm reading Slaughterhouse 5 right now and I like it but it's kind of a bummer. Other books I've read recently were Kon-Tiki which was really good, the Martian which was trash, Starship Troopers which was trash, Dune which was pretty good

I like video games that don't have much of a story, or at least tell the story in a non-intrusive way for example Dark Souls

The only exception I'll make is Planescape Torment because the story is just that good

Otherwise, games shouldn't bother with story much, at least not one told in a traditional film or book-like way, because the people writing those stories aren't very good, otherwise they'd be writing films or books

LOL

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

feelix posted:

so now that you're an adult you understand they're all trash, but you still indulge them? seems sane

i'm still a teenager, gramps

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

feelix posted:

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read about writing in any medium.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

DrNutt posted:

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read about writing in any medium.

He is absolutely one of the worst posters currently posting on SA by far.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

The Colonel posted:

i'm still a teenager, gramps

You shouldn't read sa during your formative years it will negatively affect your life

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

feelix posted:

Considering Kojima resisted a reasonable third person camera for ages and a reasonable control scheme for even longer, I firmly believe that there are other people behind the scenes making all the good gameplay decisions and the only thing he's really contributed is "hey let's make a game where you sneak" when he made MG1

nah kojima is actually good at the game part of games, and it seems like he only gets better with each one. like remember how cool zone of the enders was when that came out? and like mgsv has pretty much his best gameplay to date imho

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 2, 2018

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

feelix posted:

Lmao

How old are you?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
^^^ dammit

feelix posted:

How are you gonna come in here and complain about writing when your GoodReads looks like a seventh grade library ticket?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Pirate Jet posted:

^^^ dammit

How are you gonna come in here and complain about writing when your GoodReads looks like a seventh grade library ticket?

I bet you're the kind of person that tells people they have a child's palate

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Zas posted:

nah kojima is actually good at the game part of games, and it seems like he only gets better with each one. like remember how cool zone of the enders was when that came out? and like mgsv has pretty much his best gameplay to date imho

The majority of the gameplay improvements are just adoptions of standard features other games have had for years though, like free camera and standard 3rs person shooter conrtols

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

feelix posted:

I bet you're the kind of person that tells people they have a child's palate

I’m the kind of person to tell you that you are infested with the AIDS virus and have the taste of autistic 9th grader who thinks Ray Bradbury is “good writing”. You need to stop posting in this thread.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

The Orville posted:

I’m the kind of person to tell you that you are infested with the AIDS virus and have the taste of autistic 9th grader who thinks Ray Bradbury is “good writing”. You need to stop posting in this thread.

I've never read a Bradbury book but I'm sure he's a much better writer than kojima

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I first read slaughter-house 5 in the 9th grade actually. Fantastic book.

Metal Gear Solid? Fantastic game series.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

feelix posted:

I've never read a Bradbury book but I'm sure he's a much better writer than kojima

Haha, seriously are you 12?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

feelix posted:

The majority of the gameplay improvements are just adoptions of standard features other games have had for years though, like free camera and standard 3rs person shooter conrtols

i dunno man, other games that were around for years weren't as fun as mgsv. or mgs1-4 for that matter....

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

littleorv posted:

I first read slaughter-house 5 in the 9th grade actually. Fantastic book.

Metal Gear Solid? Fantastic game series.

I was reading Dostoyevsky in high school, I guess I was a little more advanced than most :)

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

like seriously every time one of his games comes out I feel like 'holy poo poo i've never played anything like this' even though i obviously have, in some sense. and I know i'm not the only one who feels that way, given his reputation and all...

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

feelix posted:

I was reading Dostoyevsky in high school, I guess I was a little more advanced than most :)

What's the best book you've ever read?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

feelix posted:

Cool. I was getting laid in high school

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Terminally Bored posted:

What's the best book you've ever read?

My personal favorite is probably Roadside Picnic but that's obviously very subjective and something like Crime and Punishment is "objectively" better

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Protip: genre and non-genre writing are not really comparable, both set out to do very different things. So there's no objectively better book in that case, both of those are masterpieces. Roadside Picnic is one of my favorites, too.

MGS also has this weird genre/non-genre relation.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
can we not make this thread about whether or not one retard with lovely opinions got laid in high school or not (he didn't)

What is MG Survive?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Konami taking resources straight out of MGSV to make a zombie survival shooter. But this ones different, see, because the zombies are crystal and it all takes place in an alternate universe therefore

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

feelix posted:

*snrkt*

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
It's gonna be more content that has gameplay very similar to mgsv which is great and will be incredibly fun to play

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

feelix posted:

It's gonna be more content that has gameplay very similar to mgsv which is great and will be incredibly fun to play

yeah it definitely should be more your speed enjoy

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Terminally Bored posted:

Protip: genre and non-genre writing are not really comparable, both set out to do very different things. So there's no objectively better book in that case, both of those are masterpieces. Roadside Picnic is one of my favorites, too.

MGS also has this weird genre/non-genre relation.

It's a magical realist parody of a mash of action movies and anime. Like all good parody, it's a really good example of the thing it critiques.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Willie Tomg posted:

The Boss.

*drops mic*

Who's the Boss?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This thread went off the rails faster than I expected

Just not in the direction I expected

Koji is truly brilliant, the reach of the Lalilulelo is long

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

It was raining the day this thread was made.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Who's the Boss?

That's a good question, some people say that it's really tony danza in a socio-economic statement about the power that hired help has to control a household in the absence of a true parental figure

edit; or bowser

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Me reading this thread right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxFeOnd359k

Jesus christ, after high school nobody cares if you're well-read or not. MGS games are a lot of fun though.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Platypus Farm posted:

That's a good question, some people say that it's really tony danza in a socio-economic statement about the power that hired help has to control a household in the absence of a true parental figure

edit; or bowser

It was actually Mona.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

Me reading this thread right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxFeOnd359k

Jesus christ, after high school nobody cares if you're well-read or not. MGS games are a lot of fun though.

Nobody in high school cares either

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

littleorv posted:

Nobody in high school cares either

yeah true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 17 minutes!
What a thrill.