Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Just heads straight for the shower to give himself that extra minute of peace

lol this is literally how I play. I mainly go back just to wash off the blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Just heads straight for the shower to give himself that extra minute of peace

it's like that, yeah

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I said come in! posted:

lol this is literally how I play. I mainly go back just to wash off the blood.

Staying away from base as much as possible until Miller yells at me to come back because either they're under attack or he made me a birthday cake :hmmyes:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Finally tracked down one of the old promo banners for MGS and got it framed:

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Midjack posted:

Very nice. Suitably minimalistic just like the box art.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Midjack posted:

Fully sick.

Edit: I need to get a pic but I have the mgs2 poster that came with the strategy guide framed up. Crease marks and everything

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 17, 2024

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I have a bunch of cloth maps that came with various special or collectors editions of video games nicely framed and hung, and they look awesome.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I went back through the first (post-hospital) mission in MGSV today, and man, I love it as an intro level so much, especially going in with your limited early loadout. It's especially fun after going through 1-3 a bit ago, it feels incredibly refined, but also recognizable as the same core gameplay. It's also a great setup for showing off how well the game can handle the various levels of alerts once you get to the village where Miller's being held, and you inevitably make one wrong move and they notice you're there. As much fun as I had in the earlier games, it just feels like you have so much more capability to handle things once the base is onto you.

I'm a bit more ambivalent on the ending, once the Skulls show up. On the one hand, it's a neat-looking setpiece, but at the same time, there's not much to do. You're basically just galloping from point A to point B while neat things happen around you, but there's not really any danger unless you get your horse stuck in the terrain or something.

Oh well, it goes by fast enough that I can't be too hard on it, everything else is fun enough that I think I'm gonna get back into the game for the millionth time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I forgot to mention, I also always enjoy being surprised by the fact that you can't understand anybody on the ground until you get translators. I only learned this time that you can't even motion people to lie down on the ground, I thought that was an exception for some reason. I like the mechanic a lot, it's another thing that makes you really feel like you're out on your own. I can't remember how directly the game makes you get an interpreter, I wonder how long you could feasibly go on without one.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

I forgot to mention, I also always enjoy being surprised by the fact that you can't understand anybody on the ground until you get translators. I only learned this time that you can't even motion people to lie down on the ground, I thought that was an exception for some reason. I like the mechanic a lot, it's another thing that makes you really feel like you're out on your own. I can't remember how directly the game makes you get an interpreter, I wonder how long you could feasibly go on without one.

You do get a mission to get a translator eventually, I don't think you can go without

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That turned out to be the first side op once those started showing up. Still, I'm gonna ignore that as long as possible :madmax:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

That turned out to be the first side op once those started showing up. Still, I'm gonna ignore that as long as possible :madmax:

Желаю удачи в ваших поисках

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Желаю удачи в ваших поисках

*fultons this guy just in case*

Miller: He's coming too? :geno:

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 19, 2024

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Playing through MGS1 again and noticing for the first time how many unique cinematic camera angles there are for extremely specific situations. Example : crouching next to every single dead guard in the hallway before the Grey Fox fight will switch to an nicely composed shot different for each of them.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.

Big Bizness posted:

Playing through MGS1 again and noticing for the first time how many unique cinematic camera angles there are for extremely specific situations. Example : crouching next to every single dead guard in the hallway before the Grey Fox fight will switch to an nicely composed shot different for each of them.

I never played MGS3 in normal (locked) camera as I only had subsistence and could change it to free floating so I do wonder if I was missing something. Reviews tell me no but; I bet someone here feels differently.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

oxyrosis posted:

I never played MGS3 in normal (locked) camera as I only had subsistence and could change it to free floating so I do wonder if I was missing something. Reviews tell me no but; I bet someone here feels differently.

From my recent playthrough where I belatedly realized you could change the camera, the original one is great during the endgame's motorcycle setpiece, but only useful as a way to quickly reorient yourself towards north on the map outside of that situation.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I was digging through some of my metal gear art books and stumbled across this extremely nsfw drawing of sniper wolf

:nws: https://imgur.com/a/YJNOb63 :nws: for pencil sketch titties

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
There’s no other nudity that I’ve found in any of the other art books, shinkawa was just super horned up for some love on the battlefield

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

...it's like one of my Japanese hentais...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I had a fun time going through a couple missions today, I managed to do an unbroken stealth run of C2W....only to get a terrible rank because I forgot my previous comedic attempts at infiltrating using the classic truck/smoke grenade combo would also count for the overall score. But then I turned that around and S-ranked Over The Fence by sniping everyone from a distance until I could just freely walk in and yoink the bionics engineer with no trouble. All with no interpreter so I have no idea what anyone is saying, of course.

And I also picked up the most important member of the team.

https://i.imgur.com/cCTP59I.mp4
I can already tell he's gonna be a big help on the stealth side of things :sweatdrop:

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Captain Hygiene posted:

From my recent playthrough where I belatedly realized you could change the camera, the original one is great during the endgame's motorcycle setpiece, but only useful as a way to quickly reorient yourself towards north on the map outside of that situation.

I think the motorcycle sequence is the only time it's worth using. I'm not sure if the natural environment lends itself to as striking compositions as the industrial setpieces of MGS1 and 2, but when I cycle back around to 3 I'll see if there are some more unique angles with the classic camera.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Was watching some mgs4 cutscenes for the first time in ages.

Do you think Big Boss thought up that corny 0 to 100 binary analogy in the 90s, or was it when he woke up in the far off future of 2014 and wanted to look tech savvy to his grandpa son?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/KxyaulN.mp4
That moment when you're going in silent, but you suddenly remember you researched an OP weapon because you wanted to fight a chopper :negative:

It actually worked out fine, I was just able to sneak through that whole area in the dark since everyone was focused on the mystery of the collapsing sniper tower.

It also reminded me, that area (the big bridge at the Mountain Relay Base) is one of the neater looking locations in the game, especially at night when all the scaffolding sections are lit up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/rKma6Rp.mp4
Where's Ocelot and his bucket when you need em :ughh:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

lol ... such a thirst for stench! But who? Whooooooo!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't think I realized you could get this stinky. I always thought once you got to a certain point, a cutscene played where Ocelot drenched you with water from a bucket.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Think it only happens the first time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yep, I think you have to be out in the field for around five days for the flies to trigger, I'm not sure whether being covered in blood is necessary but it can't hurt. And the cutscene does only happen once, I had to achieve that stink level twice to get on base like that.

Unrelated, but I've been running around in Africa today, and I still haven't picked up an interpreter. I would've figured they'd force me into getting one by now, but it's an interesting little twist on the missions. It's fun to just go with the flow as radio chatter says things I don't always recognize, and there've been a number times where it adds a little complexity if I don't remember where an objective is and I can't interrogate it out of anyone.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 23, 2024

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Captain Hygiene posted:

That is one hell of a post/username combo there. :golfclap:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Wish there was more to do on mother base. Just needed a couple more games Konami!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Wish there was more to do on mother base. Just needed a couple more games Konami!

I wanted more to do on Motherbase, although I honestly couldn't tell you what I would want, I guess more immersive / sim like stuff that are just fun or relaxing. And the ability to go into missions with AI or even co-op with other players, but that would have been way out of the scope for MGSV, maybe in a sequel but that will never happen.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

More active challenges beyond a target gallery on each platform would be fun - tactical stuff you could do with explosives, rocket arm, etc. You could even do vehicle based activities, they've got the space out there. The animal collection and greenhouse also feel like natural things to expand on, since they're neat to see at first but never really amount to anything. Maybe they could've fit with more active management stuff.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Bowling, darts, gambling, batting cages, claw machine, some weird phone sex minigame involving the radio somehow, claw machine, an arcade full of Konami classics, a claw machine...

Look maybe I'm too drat lazy to switch from MGSV to Yakuza sometimes, okay?!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

No no no you're on to something. A SEGA arcade is exactly what Mother Base is missing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Boss...morale on the base is at an all time low. The crew needs to have some entertainment between their combat deployments. Go to the 'Base Facilities' tab on your iDroid to start construction on the Pachinko Platform.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Boss...morale on the base is at an all time low. The crew needs to have some entertainment between their combat deployments. Go to the 'Base Facilities' tab on your iDroid to start construction on the Pachinko Platform.

Kaz: Boss... in Japan they have this game called "Outrun". You actually get into a car and can drive virtually across America. I've installed one in Huey's lab since there's nothing else to do in there.

Boss:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kaz: Boss... in Japan they have this game called "Outrun". You actually get into a car and can drive virtually across America. I've installed one in Huey's lab since there's nothing else to do in there.

Boss:

Lol, the moment arcade games were mentioned, I tried to imagine Snake jumping into an Outrun cabinet and revving up, but I couldn't quite get there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I had a good laugh doing Lingua Franca today, after rescuing all the prisoners and the Viscount, Ocelot goes "we could sure use that interpreter too...think you could extract him?"

Sorry, not on this run, buddy! This anti-translation train has already left the station :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVmqWMi_-fM

I missed this one from the Big Chungus dude.