Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

gas this thread and make a new one its not like anything will be lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
don't even make a new one

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Terminally Bored posted:

I admit I started it just to share this excellent video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QGpsvlrdPA

About 38 minutes in, Kojima confirmed bad writer.

https://i.imgur.com/0vzBVlS.png

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Terminally Bored posted:

I admit I started it just to share this excellent video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QGpsvlrdPA

it sounds like basically he doesnt care about the interplay of transhumanism and being old&tired

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i do think its nice that kojima gets to stop making metal gear games though, i think he's ready

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

feelix posted:

My personal favorite is probably Roadside Picnic but that's obviously very subjective and something like Crime and Punishment is "objectively" better

Okay, I admit that this is just me getting in the middle of a stupid fight that only an idiot intentionally pokes, but I'm a glutton, so...

What would you say is the central theme of Crime and Punishment?

Anyway, Metal Gear is fun games, and Kojima is really good at coming up with ways to manipulate the limitations of player interaction.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Zas posted:

it sounds like basically he doesnt care about the interplay of transhumanism and being old&tired

For that to work the story would have to be actually well written, like he points out (and we've said in the previous thread) that MGS4 is way, way more tell than show. Characters talk incessantly, explain things that should really need any explaining (that nanomachines/midichlorians analogy is on point), stuff happens not because of well planned story structure but rather because Kojima felt that fans should see a scene like that. Except the ending when the whole staff mutinied and they added that completely stupid and pointless Big Boss post-credit scene.

Pomplamoose posted:

Yeah, the difference between the dialogue quality in MGS1 and 2 is incredible. Conversations in 1 have a natural flow, you can see that they were written by someone with proper understanding of English. 2 has "we've managed to avoid drowning".

I do think Kojima is a mediocre writer and that people give him way too much credit in that department. What he excels at though is how he manages to make fun games out of all this.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mean for all of the poo poo MGS5 deservedly gets for its half-baked story pieced together from bubblegum and lint, that game is also one of the most fun open world, kill every enemy in existence games I've ever played.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I like his videos for mgs2 and mgs3 a lot more.

something about mgs2 though, as risky and predictive as that game is, it's basically just this kind of clever puzzle to be solved, and now that we've collectively solved it, and all realize it's brilliant, it's kinda been defanged a little bit. in that sense, I like that mgs4 is a bloated mess, because it will never be solved, and it will never have a coherent accepted meaning. yeah the unfocused maximalism kinda sucks compared to the other games in the series, but its also got an overabundance of something the other games don't have as much of. maybe that doesn't work for everyone, i get it.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

or how about this:
mgs3 gives us what we wanted but didn't realize or think we wanted, which is why its everyone's favorite
mgs4 gives us what we all thought we wanted, but actually didn't, but it's still great anyway

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pomplamoose posted:

Isn't The Wire a network television series?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

feelix posted:

The only exception I'll make is Planescape Torment because the story is just that good

Planescape Torment is trash bitch and so are you, MGS is fun and the stories are entertaining as f*ck

sorry for your bad gaming takes, they will be immortalized in this thread that will last until the end of time :rip:

(i will say that I thought the story for Peace Walker was painfully boring and had some of the shittiest boss battles I've ever seen, which is insane because Kojima is the master of them at times)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

feelix posted:

I'm reading Slaughterhouse 5 right now and I like it but it's kind of a bummer. Other books I've read recently were Kon-Tiki which was really good, the Martian which was trash, Starship Troopers which was trash, Dune which was pretty good

I like video games that don't have much of a story, or at least tell the story in a non-intrusive way for example Dark Souls

The only exception I'll make is Planescape Torment because the story is just that good

Otherwise, games shouldn't bother with story much, at least not one told in a traditional film or book-like way, because the people writing those stories aren't very good, otherwise they'd be writing films or books

here read this next:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Kojima makes good games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECjOGfYl6Og

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The core mechanics of MGSV are super, super, super good.

But I haven’t even finished it because it’s a shame those mechanics are wrapped in stuff like fifteen “Defeat the enemy tank unit” missions and upgrades that take literally twenty-four in-game hours to get. Though I suppose that’s more Konami’s fault than Kojima’s.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Zas posted:

I like his videos for mgs2 and mgs3 a lot more.

something about mgs2 though, as risky and predictive as that game is, it's basically just this kind of clever puzzle to be solved, and now that we've collectively solved it, and all realize it's brilliant, it's kinda been defanged a little bit. in that sense, I like that mgs4 is a bloated mess, because it will never be solved, and it will never have a coherent accepted meaning. yeah the unfocused maximalism kinda sucks compared to the other games in the series, but its also got an overabundance of something the other games don't have as much of. maybe that doesn't work for everyone, i get it.

*nodding slowly* MGS4 is Gravity's Rainbow

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

*nodding slowly* MGS4 is Gravity's Rainbow

Hahaha

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
The metal gear series is a better spiritual successor to lord of the rings than the entire modern fantasy genre.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Pirate Jet posted:

The core mechanics of MGSV are super, super, super good.

But I haven’t even finished it because it’s a shame those mechanics are wrapped in stuff like fifteen “Defeat the enemy tank unit” missions and upgrades that take literally twenty-four in-game hours to get. Though I suppose that’s more Konami’s fault than Kojima’s.

Yeah, so the neat thing is once you run out of narrative things to do, you just create your own fun with the core mechanics like taking away night vision goggles and on screen markers to raise the difficulty, or playing Extreme Backup Backdown using only guns and only firing while your horse is running (you look like such a badass), or seeing if you can beat missions without killing/tranqing/encountering a single person, or doing trick shots where Quiet shoots off a guy's helmet and you throw a clip at his face to knock him out or having her ricochet grenades at helicopters

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 5, 2018

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

One of the disappointing parts of MGS5 was how they used Sins of the Father, like most of the other games with vocal themes had them played at cool times like Snake Eater's instrumental during the final fight with the Boss but in MGS5? Nope, just sit here and watch two characters awkwardly stare at each other completely still while a jeep drives you to a completely different location and this out-of-place, dramatic song plays in the background

why was that considered a good idea

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I booted MGSV for the first time since 2015 yesterday. Got tons of online rewards for some reason, saw my base got invaded like 40 times by random dudes. Then played Total Stealth Pitch Dark, walked on a claymore, woke up everyone in the first village and then three guards started running away. They went behind the boat and then ran on river jesus-style. Wish I took a screenshot.

Is it known what kind of game Death Stranding is? Is it a stealth shooter?

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 5, 2018

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Good soup! posted:

One of the disappointing parts of MGS5 was how they used Sins of the Father, like most of the other games with vocal themes had them played at cool times like Snake Eater's instrumental during the final fight with the Boss but in MGS5? Nope, just sit here and watch two characters awkwardly stare at each other completely still while a jeep drives you to a completely different location and this out-of-place, dramatic song plays in the background

why was that considered a good idea

Kojima lost the touch a very long time ago

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
That whole scene is really dumb because Venom Snake literally never talks, ever. What should've probably been a conversation between Skull Face and Snake ends up just being this guy whining about language.

There's all these bits in the game that normally Snake would talk during, and instead Ocelot or Miller just talk have a conversation with themselves.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol they should have just loving kept Hayter, at least they could afford him to read more than 12 lines throughout a 20 hour game or whatever

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

Terminally Bored posted:

I booted MGSV for the first time since 2015 yesterday. Got tons of online rewards for some reason, saw my base got invaded like 40 times by random dudes. Then played Total Stealth Pitch Dark, walked on a claymore, woke up everyone in the first village and then three guards started running away. They went behind the boat and then ran on river jesus-style. Wish I took a screenshot.

Is it known what kind of game Death Stranding is? Is it a stealth shooter?

Norman Fetus.

Also, that's one of the biggest problems of MGSV's apparent game-as-service model for me. Every single time I've tried to boot it since 90%'ing it, I've been bombarded by downloads and updates and rewards and all this poo poo I don't care about. MGSV is a stealth-action game, not loving Hearthstone.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Zaius posted:

The metal gear series is a better spiritual successor to lord of the rings than the entire modern fantasy genre.

hm i agree

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That whole non-talk with Skullface was great given he had the wrong loving guy for his entire monologue. It makes total sense Venom was just staring at him like "Okay"

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Terminally Bored posted:

I do think Kojima is a mediocre writer and that people give him way too much credit in that department. What he excels at though is how he manages to make fun games out of all this.

He's not a mediocre writer. He's a bad writer. He's a really bad storyteller and his poo poo is all over the place thematically and logically and the dialogue is always always loving terrible.

And that's fine.

Because the ideas are brilliant. Or they are loving stupid to the point you can't look away. He's thought of everything! Metal gears make no loving sense! A man breakdance fights robots! Snake forgot what a silencer does! Bee man! Slipping in poo poo! Rollerblading mad bomber! An hour long cutscene! Rocket peace! Raow! Butts! The ghost river! A two hour long cutscene after I finished the game that reframes the entire franchise meta plot!

It's great and it's dumb and bad in equal measure but it's always interesting and always trying new stuff and is happy to be weird as gently caress and yeah it does seem like people do in fact hate fun?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Paging gary oldmans diary to turn this thread around from the 4 and 5 complaining circle jerk these always turn into

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

DeathChicken posted:

That whole non-talk with Skullface was great given he had the wrong loving guy for his entire monologue. It makes total sense Venom was just staring at him like "Okay"

Also, can you just imagine if in a real, not a comedy movie the villain was giving his monologue and the hero just whipped out his tablet and started, like, filing his taxes? Cause I'd bet at least half of players were doing motherbase poo poo once they realized they could.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
hey MGS thread does anyone remember not long before or after MGSV came out there was japanese site (possibly linked here, not sure where else I would have seen it) that had a bunch of kooky, brief MGSV gameplay videos?

usually featured stuff like airdrops landing on people, dudes falling off ladders, really complicated cardboard box takedowns and so on?

It wasn't on youtube, the page was all in japanese and appeared to host the clips itself

If anyone can lead me to that site again that would be cool!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I remember that site, not the URL, but I'm pretty sure it was the official site and all of the stuff was on YouTube, so trawling JP Konami accounts ought to get you there eventually, unless it's private now.

ShineDog posted:

He's not a mediocre writer. He's a bad writer. He's a really bad storyteller and his poo poo is all over the place thematically and logically and the dialogue is always always loving terrible.

And that's fine.

Because the ideas are brilliant. Or they are loving stupid to the point you can't look away. He's thought of everything! Metal gears make no loving sense! A man breakdance fights robots! Snake forgot what a silencer does! Bee man! Slipping in poo poo! Rollerblading mad bomber! An hour long cutscene! Rocket peace! Raow! Butts! The ghost river! A two hour long cutscene after I finished the game that reframes the entire franchise meta plot!

It's great and it's dumb and bad in equal measure but it's always interesting and always trying new stuff and is happy to be weird as gently caress and yeah it does seem like people do in fact hate fun?

He also doesn't understand how cancer works.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqMIqJDjarg

It looks ok. Obviously they reused most of the assets but it seems to be way better than Umbrella Corps or stuff like that.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 8, 2018

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Survival games aren't my cup of tea so I'm not buying it but it'd be pretty hard to gently caress up something that focuses solely on and expands further on the parts of MGSV that aren't a train wreck. (The gameplay). It's budget too, right?

Seems like a lot of the negativity is people who post FucKonami.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 8, 2018

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I got MGSV when it was free on PS+ and it's my first game since MGS3 Snake Eater. I played the original playstation games as well. It's pretty cool existing in an open world and building a base. I've only done 1 mission after you get to mother base so idk much but seems fun. I don't get the personelle ranking system but I do like some of the light RPG aspects.

Any tips for new/returning players?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Don't worry too much about kidnapping soldiers if you're not looking to max out all of your base. There's a bit that will drive you bananas if you get maxed out amounts of people actually.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Waroduce posted:

Any tips for new/returning players?

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Metal_Gear_Solid_5:_The_Phantom_Pain

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Those downvoters really love that manpreg game Kojima is working on.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Don't worry too much about kidnapping soldiers if you're not looking to max out all of your base. There's a bit that will drive you bananas if you get maxed out amounts of people actually.
If you do want your base to have the best stuff, be prepared to invade every high ranked PC base to get S++ guys. It is totally not worth getting S+ with three medals. Don't worry about revenge attacks.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you're on PC, just use cheat engine to make everyone stupidly high stats and gently caress all that noise.

If you're on PS4, gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The stealth parts of Survive look like it could be alright, but I'm really not feeling the zombie aspects. I do not go to Metal Gear to fortify a base and fight waves of enemies.