Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

This is the thread for:

• TG chat that doesn't fit into an existing thread
  • Continuing derails from other threads
  • New users and lurkers to say hello or ask questions
  • General forums questions
  • Other bullshit

Standard TG/grey forum rules apply. You can find the 2017 thread here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
And if you haven't checked out this year's resolution thread, you should!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
2018 SUCKS!

Serf
May 5, 2011

2018 is gonna be a year of new systems for me. first up is blades in the dark, then probably fragged empire

also gonna be running two campaigns at once for the first time

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Merry Christmas everyone

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
2017 was an international game of Paranoia. Or Fiasco.

What will 2018 be like?

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Splicer posted:

What will 2018 be like?

Gamma World?

I tried to come up with a serious answer and failed.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
It was a year of fire....

...in that I´m most likely going to burn or destroy some of the worst rpgs I´ve been unable to sell because of how unknown and generically lovely they are.
...and a Babylon 5 quote =)

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

Someone already made the TG of this I'm sure, what is it?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

To Answer Gumslinger's question from last thread, book wise what you want is "The Dying Earth" by Jack Vance.

Adventure Time is the good D&D cartoon but it's not classic and also very goofball so y'know.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

What will 2018 be like?

Twilight 2000

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Splicer posted:

What will 2018 be like?

FATAL :haw:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Splicer posted:

What will 2018 be like?
Beast: The Primordial.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Beast: The Primordial.

I JUST SAID THAT

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Splicer posted:

What will 2018 be like?

Sorry, I hate to correct so many people, but 2018 is the year Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance takes place.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'm ready

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Splicer posted:

What will 2018 be like?
Probably more Paranoia. At 11:59 PM 214, the clock rolls over to...12:00 AM 214! Happy New Yearcycle, citizens!

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Sorry, I hate to correct so many people, but 2018 is the year Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance takes place.

We walk away thinking the bad guy had a point?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Bedlamdan posted:

We walk away thinking the bad guy had a point?

Look, it's either that or Rollerball, take your pick.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Splicer posted:

What will 2018 be like?

Hc Svnt Dracones. It will be incredibly stupid and nobody will care.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's gonna be a miserable, boring year that will be miserable in boring ways

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I peeled off some players from my Wednesday night group to play indie RPGs every other week so 2018 is looking good.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Plutonis posted:

It's gonna be a miserable, boring year that will be miserable in boring ways

It turns out that years are arbitrary units of time imposed by humans, and there is no real difference between 2017 and 2018

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Anniversary posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

Someone already made the TG of this I'm sure, what is it?

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/199932/Red-Planet-o-A-World-of-Adventure-for-Fate-Core

Short form: A game set in the world of retro-soviet propaganda on Mars.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Rollerball had better costumes at least.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Moriatti posted:

To Answer Gumslinger's question from last thread, book wise what you want is "The Dying Earth" by Jack Vance.

Adventure Time is the good D&D cartoon but it's not classic and also very goofball so y'know.

If we're talking cartoons, I'd suggest giving Thundarr The Barbarian a watch

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Covok posted:

2018 SUCKS!

gently caress sakes at least play the new edition before bitching about the changes.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
2018 is no good, fuckin edgelord mmmmo bullshit

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
My current GM wants to run Numenera when our 4e game wraps in a few months. Is there a Numenera/Cypher system thread I just didn't spot in the past couple pages? I'd like to know what issues and suck-traps to watch out for.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
happy new year you FUCKS

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

My current GM wants to run Numenera when our 4e game wraps in a few months. Is there a Numenera/Cypher system thread I just didn't spot in the past couple pages? I'd like to know what issues and suck-traps to watch out for.

I mean, it's the same poo poo for every Monte Cook game. It's less imaginative then it might have initially looked, and you wanna be the wizard, which is the only class actually made to interact with the setting.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm gonna actually run some poo poo this year, starting with a few playtest sessions of Kamigakari.

So far, so good (except for my plot, which was basically :shrug: IDOL TURF WARS :shrug:).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Continued from last thread:

remusclaw posted:

Where the hell does D&D get it's usage of the word dungeon from, as opposed to the usage it is most known for, as in being a place to lock people up?
I believe the germ that became D&D was a wargame scenario where you're infiltrating a castle through its dungeon.

Mr.Misfit posted:

It was a year of fire....

...in that I´m most likely going to burn or destroy some of the worst rpgs I´ve been unable to sell because of how unknown and generically lovely they are.
...and a Babylon 5 quote =)
I kind of enjoy generically lovely RPGs in the same way I enjoy generically lovely movies: they can only stay "generic" for so long before they become a snapshot of a particular time and place in the medium. What you got?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The Zizekian joke is that in the last few years we learned that football is way more dangerous (and also way more political) than we as a society were willing to acknowledge, hence we're already living Rollerball too.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean, it's the same poo poo for every Monte Cook game. It's less imaginative then it might have initially looked, and you wanna be the wizard, which is the only class actually made to interact with the setting.

That's kinda what I figured, thanks. I'll scan through the Fatal & Friends review too.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I went from like four games to zero games and I'm salty as hell about it.

Bright side, buddy wants to run Ravenloft with a few minor houserules for 2nd edition, which is the only edition of D&D I've never played. AVE GYGAX

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Second edition houserules are like, totally the worst.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

There's not really any "trap" options, but the fighter class will always be boringer and have less out-of-combat utility than the wizard class. The third class skims most of its abilities from both the fighter and wizard class, so it's half boring, I guess.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I may actually be able to finally get Fragged Empire and BitD to the table in a few months! Go me!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Don't play the Fighter, and probably don't play the Rogue. It's a Monte Cook game, so Wizards are the best.

An unavoidable issue is the basic design of the game:

1. your stat points are your hit points, and also your extra-effort points

2. at any time, the GM can introduce a complication to try and gently caress you over. You can either accept this and receive XP in exchange, or spend XP to block the GM. Since you also need XP to, you know, level up, this can get really annoying really quickly

3. if you ever roll a 1, you get to suffer a complication without the GM needing to reward you with any XP for it, and without being able to spend XP to block it. The "solution" is to never make any rolls, either by simply making poo poo happen (which is why Wizards rule), or by driving down the difficulty to 0 so you auto-succeed. Even the latter is going to have its share of issues, given that applying extra effort to drive down the difficulty further will cost you your stat points (see point 1).

________

Mark Rein:thunk:Hagen :

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/948034579272740864

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

2. at any time, the GM can introduce a complication to try and gently caress you over. You can either accept this and receive XP in exchange, or spend XP to block the GM. Since you also need XP to, you know, level up, this can get really annoying really quickly
The young kids are hip to these "Fated Points", howsabout I give them a cursory glance and then made Deadlands chips but worse?