Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I need to buy a couple of sets of transparent d20s in five-die blocks - five red, five blue, etc. Anywhere I can actually buy individual dice in specific colors for not appalling rates? This is turning out to be more difficult than I anticipated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Continental US, and equal to or cheaper than one dollar per d20.

Unless I want to pay a ransom in shipping, I think I'm gonna have to suck it up and wait for the Chessex booth at one of the local conventions.

Leraika posted:

buy a pound of dice and let god sort out the rest

I did this originally, and all I got were some ugly-rear end swirled dice and more of those kanji d6s than I could give away. I guess if anyone wants some moon-rune d6s, hit me up.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I am unironically and non-mockingly interested to learn hyphz's position and feelings about Fiasco, and to a lesser extent, all improvisational acting.

I always suspected Colin Mochrie and Ryan Stiles were possessed of some dark power, but now we might see it uncovered in full.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sion posted:

So, on the subject of literally fuckin' anything else how's everyone's week shaping up? I'm back at work tomorrow oh no

Kinda poo poo, but I had a decent game of Infinity before I went to work today. Though something at my desk smells like deer urine, and that's not a typical library smell.

Countblanc posted:

i had two good interviews this week but if I don't get either job i'm probably going to be homeless in february

That is a horrible prospect and I hope it doesn't come to that. Clearly it helps to know a weird internet person is rooting for you.

Antivehicular posted:

Best of luck; I hope something comes through for you.

I'm starting a new job this week, and things are going well so far! Somewhat less good news: my partner has mentioned that he wants me to run Exalted (1E) for him, because he wants to know why it was so important to me back in college. Is there any polite way to say "what was so important to me about Exalted 1E was a lot of stuff that the game isn't actually about, and I have no idea how to convey it to anyone else unless you're willing to play something that basically isn't Exalted anymore?" I guess I could always just run a basic super-swordmans game and see how that goes.

Pretty much that. Suggest an alternative, like Godbound or somethin'. It's entirely reasonable to say that the magic was rooted in a particular time and context, although the effort is appreciated nonetheless.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sion posted:

If you're sitting at your desk while your desk smells of deer urine, I think I've cracked the case.

I get your intent and and have verified that it ain't me, but how would I know what my desk smells like when I'm not at my desk? You're getting into some weird, pee-scented ontological territory there.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

This is the same dude who took fifteen minutes of resettting to get through the Tanker in MGS2 one year.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, Rat Queens had some serious delays due to even more serious behind-the-scenes scrambling for replacement artists multiple times.

The Fell's Five D&D books are pretty good for glorified tabletop fanfiction.

That said, the real triumph of D&D-knockoff comics is still Dungeon Meshi.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Is there a good RPG that handles aerial dogfighting well, or am I going to have to alternate between playing FATE or whatever and X-wing with the numbers filed off?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I mean, the first one was pretty good until Robespierre had his psychotic break.

Would that make Louis-Napoleon AD&D or Hackmaster?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sort of. The primary mechanics are devoted to journeying, but there's a campaign mode that focuses around combat.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

much like the french first republic, early editions of d&d benefit from comparison to the horrors that followed, despite being fatally flawed from the beginning

e: napoleon III is pathfinder

Look, he was magnificently incompetent, obsessed with his progenitors to an unhealthy degree, and a historical dead-end, but let's not speak ill of the dead.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

LuiCypher posted:

The entries for Skaven must be pure gold.

Sufficiently pure gold to bring the blessings of Toblerone Triangular, PBUH, onto your house.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

How did 7th Sea 2E shake out?

Only somewhat related, did the genericized version of FFG's Star Wars engine fix the rocket tag problem?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Speaking of Blades in the Dark, I had a ton of fun GMing it and my players had a ton of fun playing it but I definitely swept some rules under the rug, and maybe this thread can tell me what I was supposed to do. Some of them I know how I'm supposed to use them and just forgot (clocks, non-physical harm) but I don't really get effect. Like position is great, I understand it perfectly, and I used it constantly but I felt like most rolls didn't have effect make sense. As I understand it, an action that calls for a roll is broken into three parts--the result of the die (either success at your stated goal, success but also bad things happen, or bad things happen without success), the position (how bad are the bad things that happen on failure or partial success) and effect (how much of your stated goal do you accomplish on a success). But I felt like the vast majority of rolls were pretty binary success/failure. Like, either the guard saw them sneaking or they didn't. Either their gunshot hit the mook or it didn't. Either they pick the lock or they don't. Position and die roll make perfect sense for all those actions but I dunno how I was supposed to apply effect to them.

So, off the top of my head -

The guard doesn't see the players sneak by; the guard catches a glimpse of them out of the corner of his eye and is alerted, but doesn't know where they are, how many there are, and what they're doing; the guard sees them and sounds the alarm.

The gunshot hits the mook and hurts him; the shot hits the mook and (leaves him vulnerable to a follow-up attack/knocks his weapon out of his hand/knocks him over but doesn't cause major harm); the gunshot does not hit the mook.

The players pick the lock and get in scot-free; the players pick the lock, but leave traces of their activity for the guards to notice, or break their lockpicks; the players pick the lock and open the door straight into the guards' mess hall.

The various *World games definitely benefit from a good improvisational ability on the part of the GM. Thefakenews' advice on consequence is just as important as thinking up consequences, however - if you can't come up with something that advances the story, deepens the mood, or is just plain interesting, just don't roll.

E: drat, you guys are on top of things today.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Once their was an old Cuban fisherman named Santiago. He caught a fish every time he went out. One night, he had a very productive and pleasant evening discussing American baseball, which was in no way symbolic. The next morning, he went out to sea, where he was an old man, and there was a sea. There were also fish. He caught a very large marlin the first time he dropped in his line. Santiago brought the fish back to port completely intact, and sold it for quite a pretty penny.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Arivia posted:

I fuckin hate Hemingway.

I thought Farewell to Arms was actually pretty good, but I'm mostly in the same boat. How about :

There once was a man named Oedipus Rex,
You probl'y haven't heard about his odd complex,
Since his name doesn't appear in Freud's index,
Because he loved his mother in a completely appropriate way and his life was uneventful and he acted completely without hubris.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

You run into a basic problem with your Star Trek/Warhammer comparison, which is that I'm pretty sure you'd have just as many sex criminals in both circles, if being a Warham didn't preclude one from having sex.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

You should have picked a selection from that ancient Warhams book where the marine lets loose a genetically-augmented fart in the other dude's face, and it goes on for a couple of paragraphs of description.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Fragged Empire is one of the better games on the market right now, and certainly one of the best sci-fi titles. It's got really coherent mechanics that stay interesting for quite a while, and some decent fluff.

I haven't devoted much time to Seas or Kingdom, but I was disappointed by Aeternum. It feels less like a complete product, and more like you got handed someone's table notes from their Bloodborne knockoff campaign. There's leaving blank spaces on the map for players and GMs to fill out, and then there's "Uh, a big city, something about the afterlife, hey how about that Yharnam, huh?"

I kickstarted the whole set, and while I would be happy to pay full retail for Empire, I would hesitate to buy Aeternum even if it was on sale.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

It gets better than that. Here's the chart of what each faction does if the PCs don't keep them in line:

And here I thought they went insane from hearing mild criticisms of The Witcher.

This is really just another argument to summarily execute anyone who uses the word "maker."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

It's doubly dumb, because selling off obsolete crap for deep discounts lets you take the difference in sale and purchase prices as a tax write-off.

I'm not sure a game store exists that's actually run like a business, and not as a hobby.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

How did Scum and Villany turn out, by the by?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Serf posted:

I liked Droaam, because the idea of a nation of "monsters" is cool. And the fact that a hobgoblin empire once stretched across the continent was neat too. I should run an SotDL game using Eberron as the setting.

Yes, yes you should.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Getsuya posted:

Now we just need someone to run it. It’s tragic how few GSS games have been run around here. I think there’s only been 3 ever?

I've run three myself, so it's got to be at least double that.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Hyphz, why are you interested in tabletop games? You seem to have issues with a lot of them for a wide variety of reasons, but I also accept that this may be a case of sampling bias, and we just don't hear about the parts you enjoy.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Just curious. You seem to have a very different take on a lot of games than most folks and I was wondering how that plays out at the table.

SotDL is pretty sweet, and way better than 5e. Hope you enjoy it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

That's the episode of TNG where the doctor makes it with her grandma's candle ghost, right?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Plutonis posted:

What is a Gamer gate?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I'm interested in playing generational Castlevania. Is Rhapsody of Blood a standalone game, or will I need legacy 2e as well?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I prefer my cyberpunk to have no hacking, so that I can sit in my Amazon Cube® doing nothing and engaging in no elicit behavior, only to be sentenced to a lifetime in debtor's prison when I accidentally think about stealing pens from my workplace. No crimes in my punk genre, thank you!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Anniversary posted:

So my Metal Gear Solid loving friend is wondering if there are any MGS themed (in whole or part) games out there. The only one I know of off hand is the literal Metal Gear Solid RISK, but are there others?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm going to play through more Monster Hunter World on the PC after already beating it on the PS4 because I talked more friends into liking the series

Playing it more makes me wonder again how well something like the stunt/maneuver trees in Spellbound Kingdoms would translate over to an pen and paper RPG about fighting large monsters to simulate Monster Hunter/Soulsborne-style combat focused on monsters telegraphing moves and trying to anticipate ways to defend/counterattack.

I actually tinkered with something like that for a while. Hunters and monsters both had move flowcharts, so you'd do Slash one -> Slash two -> Super slash or whatever. Randomization came in when both players and monsters could choose to restart their flowchart to abort the combo, plus a deck of cards for bounded randomization for damage and special effects. Spend a seven of clubs out of your hand to do seven damage, spend a diamond card to inflict poison, drop a face card to avoid the monster's AoE, etc.

Unfortunately I'm lazy and bad at math, so it's about half-finished and terrible to actually play. Still, if someone smarter than me wants to take the idea and run with it, go ahead.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

you're pretty good at this 'talking a lot without actually saying anything' bit

Seriously. Say something once; why say it again?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Imagined posted:

BASKETBALL IS ABOUT ATHLETIC SKILL AND COMPETITION, NOT VOYEURISM

Seriously though the hot take that watching other people play a game is "voyeurism" is one of the most bizarre takes I've ever read, and the rest of it very telling of a mindset that "my way is the only proper way and every one else is doing it wrong".

I'm old. I have a child. I have a house. I have a spouse, and a full time job. All my friends are in the same boat. We don't GET time to play like we used to. Watching other people play is a way for me to still get some of the fun on my stupid schedule.

Hockey is my sport of choice, and at the least it's about 50% watching incredible skill on display, and 50% leering voyeurism.

Hockey fans are thirsty.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Ettin, fix the thread title.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Epubs are a terrible format for tables, any kind of intricate typography, and images, so you're not gonna see most RPG publishers supporting them fully for the foreseeable future.

Layout artists can definitely make lighter-weight PDFs, as long as they're not named Luke Crane, but you're gonna be better served buying a cheap laptop and using control-F, or just going to the copy shop and doing your own PoD if it's not available.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

Also just how bad is Shadowrun.

NeoScum is amazing and hilarious, but I'm gonna guess they are playing super fast and loose. How hosed up is the game itself?

Shadowrun is not mechanically good, but it's gleefully stupid enough as a setting and exploitable enough rules-wise that you could have some fun with it. The real trick is figuring out what context you want to operate in, because the game can't decide if it wants to be about street rats fighting against the local rent-a-cops, a deadly serious heist movie with elves and orcs, or a world-class mercenary kill-fest where your gear defines your life.

(You want to be the last one, picking on the first one, so that you atomize a dude by throwing a grenade into his tiny bunker and skating off on your chrome feet-wheels.)

Also don't even bother with Anarchy.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Look, I'm no fan of the Forgotten Realms either, but I feel like that's going a little far.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

You forgot "...but in its own way, it's kind of beautiful" used to describe everything from accountancy to pig farming horrors to cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Alien Rope Burn for TG mod

Failing that, Kai Tave, but he'll never go for it.

Comedy option: Leperflesh, to really test out the capacity of the probation form.