Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Hey goons,

So for any of you who are following my work on The Next Project (and aren't already on the Discord server) I wanted to post a quick update:

I'm planning to have the 5 classes that were nominated for the next 'starter slate' updated to the new design program, in time for the first blog post. Right now the first drafts of the Fighter, Ranger, and Adventurer are all done; the Sage is next on my list, with the Warlord almost ready (just needing a minor math pass.)

Speaking of the blog, I'm planning to have posts up on/around the 10th, 20th, and 30th of January (same for February, although obviously not on Feb. 30th :haw:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Sorry to interrupt hyphz-chat, but :siren: The Next Project design blog is back from the holidays, and all the starter classes are ready!

Links to the updated Sage [Monk/Wizard], Fighter, Ranger, Adventurer [Scout/Skald], and Warlord classes are included in the post, as well as some more mechanical updates on the game's design.

If there's anything you'd like to see written about on the blog, or would like to ask me about :

Thanks! :)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Speaking of games that aren't D&D :siren: here's the newest blogpost for The Next Project; today's post talks about how I'm going about writing the new draft, and what parts of the rules have been written so far (plus some other stuff I'm giving consideration, as is often the case.)

As always, if you have any input on stuff you wanna see on the blog or in the game, you can leave a comment on the blog itself, PM me here on SA forums, or join the TNP Discord server.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Barely made my deadline, but the newest blogpost for The Next Project is now live. :siren:
Basically just a quick little retrospective on what the first slate of classes consisted of, and why. tl;dr it's largely because of 3.5

Hopefully the next post will have a bit more new info (I worked like 8 of the 10 days between posts, so that was a bit of a shitshow) as I can hopefully get some actual writing time in on the new draft of the rules.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
The latest blogpost for The Next Project is up :siren:

This time, I'm digging into the "Reserves" system a bit (healing surge/recovery analogue-type thing)
Basically I went in and crunched the numbers, and am making some adjustments, for playtesting purposes.

If you're not already on the TNP Discord, :getin:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
:siren: New blogpost is up for The Next Project

Today's topic: Man, ain't Constitution the dumbest? :v:

Some retrospective looks at where CON was used in the design previously barely at all, and not at all anymore.
Also, a brief mention of previous HP calculation methods, as well as the current one -- and how and why it fits so well, IMHO.

Kind dry stuff, but you gotta have these sorts of foundational things in your game. v:shobon:v

Now that February is over, I'm gonna try and post more stuff pertaining to new changes to the game (i.e. as I hopefully am able to write some) with the next post talking about some new implementation around Power Sources.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Does this mean though that you're looking at monster damage going up beyond the 1-per-hit model?

Oh yeah, that happened a while ago.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
:siren: New blogpost for The Next Project is up.

Today's topic: Knowledge skills and Power Sources. I've come up with a new implementation for them, and I swear I will stop screwing with it now for real this time

Related to this, I kinda wanna take a look at Performance skills sometimes soon, so if you have any opinions on those (or Professions/"tool proficiencies", as edition-appropriate) hit me up on the forums or the TNP Discord.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
:siren: New blogpost is up, for The Next Project, delving more deeply into skill use and "skill challenges."

This topic was requested by forums-goon and TNP Discord regular Generic Octopus, so be cool like him, and suggest stuff you would like me to write about, for this system.

Today's post essentially expands on a previous post that was very well-received, so check that out, too.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
:siren: New blogpost for The Next Project is up, talking about Class Dice

Not that I can necessarily say this is what sets TNP apart from other games (in the article I mention the mechanic being applied in Dungeon World and 13th Age (sorta)) but I think that the idea of start with a die and building a class from it is kind of unique -- a lot of times, it's done the other way around.

Feel free to quote me here, if you have any comments or feedback. Or, post on the comment section of the blog itself, or jump in the TNP Discord to discuss even further!

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
:supaburn: :siren: NEW RULES DRAFT FOR THE NEXT PROJECT IS NOW AVAILABLE! :bandwagon: :lsd:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
:siren: New blogpost is up for The Next Project.

This time, talking about a few rules quirks, and why they're in there -- of note, "no temporary HP, wtf?"

Give it a read and leave a comment, or join the discussion on the official TNP Discord.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
:siren: New blogpost is up, for The Next Project

Today I'm comparing TNP against 4e and 5e, with a general focus on action economy.

I'll probably do a followup post; at some point, I want to talk about positioning in TNP compared to 13th Age (and maybe a couple other bits that didn't make the cut for this post) but what I wrote today was already lengthy enough as it is.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
:siren: New blogpost is up for The Next Project, talking about the updated monster math! :orks:

Follow the links to check out the rules for:
  • Minions
  • Swarms
  • Standard monsters
  • Elite monsters
  • Solo monsters
  • Archenemies

So this is still an early draft, and I have a lot to add to it (as described in the blogpost) but we're well on the way to having the game in a shape where it can now be DM'd by someone other than me :v:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Inspired by "true" events, here's a sample monster statblock for my D&D-alike, The Next Project.

I figured one or more goons would appreciate this, so I posted it here. Generally, I keep all the ~*exclusive*~ inside info/teasers to the TNP Discord, so jump in there if you want to keep up with the project.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
:siren: New blogpost is up for The Next Project talking about the origins of THE MONSTER ROLL :orks:

Short version: SHOUT OUTS TO "MM3 ON A BUSINESS CARD!" :woop:

Also, I might be looking to do a :siren:new playtest soon-ish:siren: so jump in the TNP Discord if you think you might be interested in playing.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
:siren: New blogpost is up for The Next Project!

This time, talking very briefly about the basics of building monster powers (to round out May, which is Monster Month... I decided, last post) :orks:

Jump in the TNP Discord, and join the discussion!

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
:siren: New blogpost is up, for The Next Project.

Today, I talk a bit about the new playtest that is just getting rolling, on these very forums! Recruiting has been closed, due to the high number of apps right out of the gate, but make sure to keep an eye out for the game thread, once we start in earnest.

Also discussed, are the some specifics on the plans for updating some more classes to the latest draft of the rules (2018 Edition.)

If you're interested in discussing the rules, classes, or the playtest, feel free to jump into the TNP Discord.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Today's blog is … well, still about design -- specifically, character-building -- but in more of a narrative sense, than a mechanical one.
Have a read, and let me know what you think.

Also, check out the ongoing playtest right here on the forums, and join the TNP Discord, if you wanna be a part of the discussion.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Some new/first drafts of a couple classes are now available, for the current version of the rules: the Druid, the Cleric, and the Occultist [Warlock/Necromancer] (for now)
Have a look, and make fun of my grammar and sentence structure.

Also, check out the ongoing playtest right here on the forums, and join the TNP Discord, if you wanna be a part of the discussion.

The blog will be on break for a month -- I'll post up another link in here once it's back, around July 27th.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
:siren: New blogpost is up for The Next Project.

Today's post talks a bit about how I came to settle on using the "universal DC10" mechanic; in short, I was trying to strip out a lot of the superfluous modifiers that D&D has aggregated over the years, and simplify things down to the bare essentials.

Because everyone loves trying to remember your attack bonus and damage bonus, right? Works out well for everyone.

Anywho, this is the first post after my summer break, so I'll be back to posting every 10th day(ish) until early December :)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
:siren: New blogpost is up, for my D&D-style game, The Next Project.

Today's post is talking about a whole bunch of work that needs to be done, based on the recent playtest.

I'm hoping to get the game more or less ironed out ASAP; I don't really want to drag it out into next year, but to make that deadline, I'm gonna have to really buckle down, and hope things come together seamlessly.

If you're interested in talking about the game's designs, join the TNP Discord. :)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
:siren: New blogpost for The Next Project is up!

Today, we're talking about one of the major design conceits -- how and why everything came to be based on class.

This was sort of the lead-in thought to a topic that was suggested by forums-poster Subjunctive, and is touched on towards the end of the post:
the role (or lack thereof) of money within the designs.

As always, if you're interested in talking about the game's designs, all goons are welcome to join the TNP Discord. :)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Today, we're talking about why there isn't a magic subsystem, as you would find in 3.x/5e-style D&D.
The short answer? Class balance actually matters, and trying to balance resource-having classes against others (who go without) pretty much never gets executed properly.

I also touch on how one of the core conceits of TNP helps to make balanced classes also be unique and interesting.

As always, if you're interested in talking about the game's designs, all goons are welcome to join the TNP Discord. :)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Today, we're talking about an area of playtest feedback that I think deserves some attention: character sheets, and the layout used for class progression.

Most of the suggestions were to the tune of making the progression a straight, by-level breakdown -- whereas I prefer the classes to be set up in a way that silos off the different modes of the game. Hopefully, by incorporating some new ideas, the next iterations of the text will strike the right balance between these two schools of thought.

Shoutouts to forums-poster Emy for their feedback on this topic! :)

If you're interested in talking about the game's designs, all goons are invited to join the TNP Discord.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Today, we're talking about the origins of the skill system -- Skillsets, Attributes, the math behind it, and what influenced these (and other) design choices.

Ultimately, with these designs, I'm always trying to improve and iterate on D&D, or avoid some of its pitfalls. So this post talks a lot about some of the perceived problems, and what sorts of answers this system provides for them.

If you're interested in talking about the game's designs, all goons are invited to join the TNP Discord.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

This time, I'm talking about the structure of powers, rider effects, and action economy just a little bit.

This is mainly what I would call a "brainstorming" post, effectively discussing some of the merits to how both 4th Edition and 5th Edition D&D handle these things 4e did it better; be like 4e.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

A new draft of the core rules is finally out! Today's blog post discusses some of the changes that are in it, as well as touching on some of the plans going forward.

Most of these changes were instituted based on feedback from the last goon playtest, as well as those who just came along, read the doc, and commented with their thoughts and questions.
I appreciate everyone who contributed, and I hope this will encourage more people do to so in the future :)

If you're interested in talking about the game's designs, all goons are welcome to join the TNP Discord.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Today's blog post expands on some of the fluffier elements (Power sources & Knowledge skills) touching on how to use these tools to help shape your character, plus some talk about refinements to the mechanics which are upcoming

Basically, since the leveling/upgrading aspects are fairly new to the designs, the idea of using Power Sources as a knob to fiddle with in that space is also a new one. So I want to try and nail down the implementation, as the current draft gets refined.

If you're interested in talking about the game's designs, all goons are welcome to join the TNP Discord.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Today's entry hammers out how classes are categorized, touching on the origins in 4e D&D, and going on to explain how that took on a life of its own, in this game.

Since TNP borrows some ideas from 5e, "archetypes" became a big part of the designs, which led into class "categories", which has since tied into the leveling system -- in the form of category upgrades, as well as slate upgrades -- all of which is explained in this post.

With the direction that these designs should go coming into clearer focus, the end of the post touches on some ideas that I'll be looking to implement, going forward.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Today's entry is an "origins" post, talking about the mechanics for movement and positioning, and what influenced the ultimate implementation of this type of system. In short, it is largely borrowed from/inspired by 13th Age, and based on my own play experience with D&D 3.5/4e/5e.

The post touches a bit on the utilization of certain skills a bit (as they pertain to movement) as well.

(this blog update actually went up on Saturday, but I'm just spreading the news now; I wanted to wait until after Remembrance Day to put it out on my social media and stuff.)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Today I'm sort of cutting a wide swath, talking about a variety of design points, what things need to be worked on or improved, and where I think things might need to be taken in the future. Specific topics include adding more skill levels as well as cleaning up class customization (potentially by adding more subtypes to classes that currently don't have that many.

Most of the content covered in this post was brought up (at one point or another) on Discord -- I tend to put out any early-concept stuff there, first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Final blogpost of the year, this time -- talking about where to expect the designs to go, in the future, as well as plans for the blog itself.
Basically, I'm going to have to buckle down and devote more of my time to working on the designs, with the main goal of getting all the DM-side aspects complete.
However, I also feel that the leveling and customization options need to expand a bit, so that will also require a good deal of attention.