Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

One of my players, in order to get all the PCs to work together better, did up a poster board depicting all the PCs' names, meant to be a representation of the same thing in the party's headquarters. When a PC did really well, he gave them a gold star; if they went off and caused problems for the rest of the team, they got a frowny face.

One of the players complained mightily about the concept (in a way that his complaints were half IC and half OOC.) He just so happened to be the player whose PC was most likely to go against the grain of party consensus, and often mess things up for the rest of them. After the third session of this, he'd accumulated the most gold stars.

Sadly, the player who started it stopped bothering with the poster after the fourth session or so. But by then the PCs were working together much better so mission accomplished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

If anyone has a tool in which I can easily make gridmaps (that I can sell - so the tool needs to give me rights to publish its art assets in the maps I make) that don't look like garbage, I'd like to know.

Campaign Cartographer (with the Dungeon add-on) lets you make gridded maps that you can include with commercial products. The interface is maddeningly obtuse, and there are some baffling design decisions at play there, but the end product is pretty good.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Yeah, seconding Scribus - it's what I use to do my layout, though it's not quite as fully featured as InDesign. And on a related note, I've heard good things about Inkscape in terms of free vector-graphics alternatives to Illustrator, though I've never used it myself.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Forgive me if cross-posting is discouraged here, but over in the Game Writing Workshop Thread I put up a beta playtest kit for my fantasy heartbreaker RPG. That thread doesn't see much traffic these days, so I wanted to draw attention to it here in hopes of drawing some eyeballs in its direction.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I'm trying to think of Close Encounters of the Third Kind as a horror film and my brain just can't square that circle.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Hate is probably an exaggeration, but he's an incredibly sloppy designer who makes games based on intestinal cognition, and he wrote a book of some really horrible GMing advice way back when.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Desiden posted:

I don't know if its still floating around, but like a decade or more ago he also wrote a d20 adventure piece full of really torrid prose leading to the mindblowing reveal that the paladin protagonist was.... A BLACK DUDE. :wth:

I remember reading that, and the mockery that followed. That was John Wick? Wow, I had no idea.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Well yeah, if you asked John Wick to write "grilled cheese sandwiches are good," it would come out as a grandiose rant about how he's a mad prophet who wandered out of the desert to speak truth to power with this shocking revelation.

And you know what else he'd do?

You don't know, but I'll tell you.

Oh, I'll tell you.

He'd make every single sentence...

And I mean. Every. Single. Sentence.

Its own paragraph.

That's how you know his writing is really important.

:negative: You're giving me some painful flashbacks to reading Houses of the Blooded right now...

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Hey kingcom, I appreciated your breakdown of FFG Star Wars and your take on its strengths and weaknesses. Just wanted to mention that given how much negativity it seems to have garnered you.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

The author's been posting excerpts of Sigmata in response to questions in a thread over at rpg.net, and reading through them I have to admit that there's more nuance to the factions that I'd initially assumed based on the kickstarter pitch. E.g., the Makers aren't a huge group of rich galt's gulch assholes (since most of those did, as you'd expect, side with the regime), but a group of five or six Oskar Schindler types who want to help bankroll the resistance but don't want to world after the resistance succeeds to give up on the capitalist system that made them rich in the first place.

I still think it's bad and tone deaf, and I'd be a lot more interested in a game where you're managing different factions representing groups classically opposed to fascism in actual history. It's just not quite as bad as I'd imagined.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Splicer posted:

Low vs high fantasy are literary genres referring to whether things are set in the "real world" or in an entirely fictional world. It has nothing to do with the tenor of the stories told or the amount of type of magic present, that confusion is caused by RPG nerds misusing jargon they don't quite understand in an attempt to look smart and, when being called out on it, hiding behind what "the words mean to me, language evolves abloo bloo you're the wrong one shut up"

Where did you get that from? Not saying you're wrong, but it doesn't match up with my understanding of the terms.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's the definition given by Wikipedia FWIW.

Thanks, I guess I could have done a quick google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

She was screwed over by for some edition of Nobilis (3e, most likely) for money. There may have been a rights dispute as well, but someone else will have to clarify. I believe the printer also ran off with a run of books and quietly hawked them on ebay. There was another book, (Chuubo's?), where she had to pay out of pocket for some expensive new art because it was found out that some of the contracted pieces were traced from Touhou fanart.

Pretty sure you're thinking of Nobilis 2E, which was printed by Guardians of Order. The same company that screwed over, uh, just about everyone who had any contact with them when they imploded, though Jenna Moran got it worse than most IIRC.