Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I killed all these monsters, but then the GM just made more?? Appear out of nowhere???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

i'm getting a group together to make WHFRPG3e characters tomorrow night and I'm so loving excited

seriously the character action cards alone are fantastic, and the fact that star wars did away with them is a god drat travesty. the star wars game is so drat boring in actual play

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The Warhammer version had a variety of neat things you could spend the secondary resource good/bad stuff on based on a) the abilitiy cards you were using b) whether or not you were a spellcaster and what kind and c) the specific environment you were in (there were dozens of these, easily), which could be anywhere from an abandoned shrine to a blasted chaos hellscape with magical fissures bursting forth from the ground. In Star Wars I usually just ended up using them to give myself another bonus dice on my next roll most of the time

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

it's the time of the year where I hunt down an rpg setting book and read it. I'm open to suggestions before I reach into my girlfriend's pathfinder books and just read about the not-byzantines or something.

Fragged Empire.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The Star Wars system just doesn't give you enough to do imo. There's only so much you can do with the narrative with a small number of successes so it's often more useful to give yourself extra dice in the future in the hopes of rolling good in a future die pool. Yes you need to narrate that bit it gets very samey kind of quick.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

It's literally just printed on the cards in front of you

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I just wanna see how aggressive their release schedule is, because 5e's schedule is super slow.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Arivia posted:

It’s Pathfinder so expect at least two books a month, a big rulebook every few months, and as many support materials as your budget can take.

Well it's usually something like, one campaign supplement, one adventure, a map, and either a new big rulebook or a mini version of an existing one, plus maybe some pawns or cards, plus Bones/Wizkids minis... yeah :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

They didn't even try to do anything interesting with it. gently caress

S.J.
May 19, 2008

fr0id posted:

What are some cool and lesser-known sci-fi rpg systems? I'm thinking sci-fi as in traveling around in space and dealing with different planets. By lesser-known, I mean stuff other than Eclipse Phase, Warhammer 40k, Starfinder, etc. Stuff like spellbound kingdoms or shadow of the demon lord look really cool, but I'd like something with a sci-fi setting.

FRAGGED EMPIRE

e: please read that as me yelling the name

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Okay are there any interesting magical school style RPGs out there other than Breakfast Cult?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

Pigsmoke, though it's about playing magical school -faculty-, not students.

That's cool too! Thanks.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Are there any good reviews of Battle Century G I should read?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I'd actually like to know something myself:

- What's your longest-running campaign?
- What system was it in?
- Was it online or in-person?
- What year did it begin?
- How long did it run?

In person 4e game that lasted about 4 years. I believe it started in late 2008/early 2009. God I miss my fighter.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Gloomhaven retails for 140 USD but that can change real quick in either direction

S.J.
May 19, 2008

If you wanna do the Cyber without the Punk you're gonna have to put some work into explaining a counter culture aesthetic where things are kinda just going alright. You don't have to add, say, the body horror elements (as a for instance) that show up in some works in order to do the -punk elements, though, so it can kind of depend on which parts of the themes you don't like.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Honestly I think the biggest problem with combat in the FFG SW games is just encounter design itself. There basically isn't any.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Andrast posted:

tbh I probably would

i have definitely done this

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Moriatti posted:

Guys did anyone else buy the Monsterpocalypse relaunch or was it just me?

One of our locals did, and a bunch of guys in my area (including me) are going to. I'm super excited for it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Moriatti posted:

I'm super excited to bring it to my group. Can't wait to slam people into buildings.

Really hoping they talk about it more on the stream tomorrow.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

in no way is 5e better than 3e unless you're too much of a simpleton to grasp basic arithmetic

does not having a bajillion bloated supplements count as better?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

the best parts of 3e come in the "bajillion bloated supplements", because just lol at trying to play 3e with the PHB only

there aren't any good parts of 3e but i get your point

truth

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sion posted:

It's Thursday, my dudes.

What's the plan for the weekend? I'm driving to Loch Ness. Gonna catch a monster.

Hopefully finish Final Fantasy XV so I can start Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Then hopefully have some dudes over to have a few beers and maybe make Fragged Empire characters. Tonight I'm gonna play some Exceed and maybe BattleCON!

If plans fall through, do more work on a homebrew Magic Titanfall-esque RPG I'm trying to write.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Moriatti posted:

Fuckoff, my weekend is all work.

I get annoyed by customers constantly even when I'm not at work so don't be too jealous. Also my customers are also nerds which makes me not wanna touch a lot of my favorite hobbies after I get home a lot of days because of having to deal with them all day long.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

So I did get to play exceed season 2 tonight and drat it was fun.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I think I also just picked characters I enjoyed the concepts of that were really straight forward. Lightning Lass and Not-Akuma.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

Sigmata has the longest comments section I've ever seen on a DTRPG product.

Holy gently caress lmao

IF Hitler was a fascist

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

It's good. It's very Fantasy Flight what with all the proprietary dice and symbol tallying resolution mechanic but if you're not down on that it's a perfectly serviceable generic system.

It will 100% depend on how good the inevitable Android supplement they come out with is imo

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Anyone gotten the chance to play Unity yet? It looks really neat!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Has anyone here played the Rune Wars minis game?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I guess FWIW I used to run our netrunner community around here but since the game's going away I'm getting rid of it. Haven't inventoried my stuff in a while but if any goons are interested just shoot me a PM

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Coolness Averted posted:

Wait what's happening to netrunner? A new edition under a different publisher? Lost licence like what happened with games workshop stuff?

The license did not get renewed, so it's going away. Whether or not it ever gets remade, no one has any idea.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

LuiCypher posted:

All of them.

No really. Start a multiplayer game, create your entire party, and roll out.

And that's just Baldur's Gate. Icewind Dale operated completely under the assumption you were going to custom build your entire party at the beginning.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

From what I understand you come across enemies immune to all physical damage real early on, so I guess at least it's teaching you the important things of Pathfinder, such as "don't be a non-caster."

Gargoyles or something? Holy poo poo that's hilarious. Did they literally just port the rules over to the TT and make it pauseable real-time, or...?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

So I'm looking for some stuff to add to a 4e campaign I'm going to be starting up soon. Are there any good examples (or hell, even lovely, fixable examples) of summoning systems a la Final Fantasy in a TT RPG?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Summon-based stuff has been in D&D for ages but it's usually pretty rough, either a game breaker or more trouble than its worth. (or both) A few 4e classes have summons of a sorts, Artificers and probably some Wizards come to mind, and plenty of abilities could be refluffed that way. Depends on what you really want out of it. Can be a little especially powerful in 4e because having more pieces on the tactical board is always nice.

Well I'm not talking about just summoning random monsters onto the table D&D style, I mean like the really ridiculous bullshit like summoning Leviathan or Ifrit or Bahamut or something crazy like that. It doesn't necessarily have to be a playable piece, though in my head I'd like it to be something akin to Summons from FFX or XII or something where the party gets temporarily replaced by the monster and it can fight for a while and then you can return the party to play afterward. I might just end up writing some story specific powers for the Summons and attach them to specific characters like in FF XII and have the summon replace the player on the field for a limited amount of time.

Xarbala posted:

Final Fantasy summons are usually just big spell attacks that happen to have some extra flavor, summoning in tabletop rpgs is usually about bringing another combatant into the fight.

It's been used in a few different ways over the years. But like I'm said, just curious if there are any RPGs out there that have summoning systems in the FF vein. I assume Anima does, but that game's an out of print garbage pile.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 28, 2018

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah, that helps a little. I've played enough and am familiar enough with the math that I'm okay with writing my own powers, just posting mostly to see if there are any ideas anyone has come across that I might be able to steal or get some inspiration from, d20 system or no.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

So my immediate plan is to have a scaling daily that summons a dude and the cost to summon it is a combination of action points and healing surges. Considering allowing people to sustain the summon by spending actions plus healing surges and then maybe even add additional effects based on flavor like Ifrit deals x fire damage per sustain to the caster every round that can't be mitigated. I'll start writing up some drafts soon and throw them in the 4e thread if anyone is interested.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah I've considered putting together a limited "feat" selection for them so they can choose from say one of three options every so often to help them supplement the party better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Moriatti posted:

I mean, the simplest way would just be to take the Primal class transformation dailies and scratch their names out.

Presumably the reason not to do this was for big flashy once a day drops where now Ifrit is fighting for you. Usually since you've played enough 4e that the base game needs a bit of spice.

And this is basically why I'm going to be doing this. If nothing else, I'll have collected some good information on what does/doesn't work, and either way, my players will enjoy being able to call on some ridiculous bullshit for the set pieces I'm going to be building for them.