Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

S.J. posted:

Fragged Empire.

Someone sell me on Fragged Empire. How complex is it? How's the balance? Are any of the supplements any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

Then you can publish your martial arts style manual and gain influence because you’re a well known professor of punching people in the face.

Also known as "opened a fighting school." :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Fragged Empire seems pretty solid, so I'll be getting it. Anyone have anything to say about Fragged Aeternum/Seas/Kingdom or the Protagonist/Antagonist Archives?

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 5, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Just to point out: the Fragged Empire PDF is currently on sale for $12 on DriveThru.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/151898/Fragged-Empire--Core-Rule-Book

All of the books except Seas are 33% off in the GM sale, even.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Holy shitballs.

They're playtesting for Pathfinder 2e.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderplaytest

It's just going to be Pathfinder with very minor changes to justify changing the cover and charging money again.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hot take: the Infinity Engine's pseudo-real-time combat was an awful compromise, and they should have gone with full turn-based like in the Gold Box games

RTwP beats turn-based any time.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

I've had Icewind Dale on my iPad for ages because it really seems like the kind of thing I would love to play on an iPad but whenever I use it I end up just reading RPG sourcebooks on Kindle. :shrug: Is it worth a playthrough? It never really gets talked up like the other Infinity Engine games.

People remember the epic plotline in BG1/2 and PS:T's cool philosophical stuff more easily than they remember IWD, a game that's 90% dungeon crawling with barely any plot, which is why it doesn't get talked up as much.

If you like Infinity Engine combat, it's good.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Plutonis posted:

That's a matter of opinion whether the system is good or bad.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

LANCER has looked pretty good so far.

It's extremely beta, though.

Battle Century G is also really good.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Is that a loving space canoe

No, it's a regular canoe. The "Star Crush" logo isn't for whatever game has "rules for 28mm skirmish battles in the heroic age of the Great Lakes First Nations."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's just a dwarf that's the size a dwarf would be relative to a giant if a giant were a human being, it's not that complicated.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Leraika posted:

it still feels kind of extremely incomplete on the stuff-that-doesn't-involve-giant-robot front

1.6 should have a large setting infodump included, so that should help. I wouldn't expect the non-mech stuff to get fleshed out mechanics-wise, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If I'm running a pulpy sci-fi space-commandos-fighting-space-Nazis campaign in FATE, what are things that people expect to be doing frequently enough to need detailed mechanical subsystems (I've already got alien species rules and starfighter combat rules)?

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 27, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LeSquide posted:

Repairing / retrofitting/ obtaining nonstandard gear

I'm reducing gear purely to aspects, so that one should be covered.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

I can’t imagine why you would run a tactical combat game in loving FATE

The person posting about FATE isn't the person posting about tactical combat.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Ettin spent so much time wondering if he could that he never stopped to ask himself if he should.

Ettin spent so much time shitposting on twitter that he has become the shitpost.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ettin posted:

(e.g. it's possible to take the Companion Attribute to get some loyal NPC friends, then have them take Companion and so on until you're running Shadaloo, and you should probably not do that if this is a slice-of-life game about a light music club)

Excuse me but how the hell else are you going to model the Student Council's infinite faceless minions?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Man, I'd forgotten about that one, and I have it on my shelf. I'd really like to give it a try someday.

I've heard good things, so it's time for someone to F&F it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The Starter Edition is a complete scam and I wish a bigger deal was made of it.

At the time where they launched it the main game was $60 occasionally discounted to $45, so a $15 ultra-grindy edition where you can buy $45-50 of Clancybux to unlock the basic operators was fine.

The problem is that now the base game routinely goes down to $25 or lower and there's still no upgrade path from starter, and their response to people wanting that was to just give a couple more random operators to people who bought the starter edition after the start of March (but not existing starter edition owners), which loving sucks.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Blades is also a much better-designed game than D&D 5.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

hyphz posted:

the bad rules that create caster supremacy aren't necessarily too much of a problem for the GM unless they deliberately insulate players against it.

I take it you've never run a 3.5 game with casters and non-casters in the same party?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Has anyone played Spire? I remember the KS looking interesting but I couldn't justify backing it then, and I'm wondering if it's worth grabbing now.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Alright, thanks. I think I might grab it, based on that - it sounds interesting enough to drop $22.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I feel like my GM style would be fairly terse and based mostly in describing the world and running the NPCs, and reacting to the input of players. In contrast to other GMs’ tendencies to monologue, derail or go off on tangents, I mean. I don’t know if saying more with less is an advantage or a disadvantage in games like Blades or other Apocalypse-likes.

In my experience, the BitD system is so simple that a lot of whether or not the game ends up being fun and memorable rests with how good everyone at the table is at describing their actions and adding narrative colour to the world.

You can be terse, but everyone really needs to be able to create details on the fly to make the world feel "real."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm gonna guess it also doesn't go well with players who like to plan everything out to the degree that I once had to say "okay, you've detailed every possible way this could go and every outcome, just make a roll to see which one happens."

Yeah, you definitely have to teach those people to play the way the game wants you to play, since it's explicitly designed to not have that kind of planning.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The book says 2-4 players + GM is the supported size. There's nothing that would obviously break with 6 players, just be prepared for play to take a bit longer since you'll have to keep track of more players. You'll also have to adjust clock size accordingly to make sure things aren't too easy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've run Blades for six, and it still works despite the usual large group problems.

I've run it for five myself but yeah, exactly.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Would also make a good plot hook: a cleric of Steve, gently caress You Yes I Can, going around teaching people to be their own god and get whatever domains they think are most fun to have.

This is the Blood of Vol, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

This was the perfect meme tweet when he made it so I'm glad it's seeing some use.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

oh noooooo pull up thread

I might be interested in GMing a Dungeon World game, but I don’t really know how games differ between live and play by post. If I did PbP, would I have to do something particularly different as a result? Am I expected to be more serious?

No? Just run it however you would like to run it.

The only consideration for PbP PbtA stuff is that the conversational nature of the game means lots of back and forth between you and the players, which means lots of posts, which means the game is going to move incredibly slowly if people are posting once a day.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Absolutely disgusting that the Gnome Sorcerer is the only one written entirely in lower case.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 3, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Slimnoid posted:

Is there any superhero RPG out there that's both good and isn't an overcomplicated mess of mechanics?

Masks, if you want to play Young Avengers/Young Justice.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Slimnoid posted:

Agreed. The game itself also shouldn't be so bogged-down with rules as to come off as being focused on the minutae, like mosy D20 versions end up being.

You're not going to get both.

It also doesn't help that "superhero" isn't a genre, it's a supergenre, and most supers games get bogged down in trying to work for every single subgenre instead of just picking one and sticking to it.

And again, unless you really don't want to play teenage superheroes trying to make a name for themselves, Masks is the best supers game out there. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

Or you don't want to give money to Magpie Games, which is another issue to consider.

Yeah, that's fair.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Could you save it by making it a player choice? "Okay you failed your roll, either you make it across and drop your bow into the ravine or you are hanging on and if you fail the next save you will definitely fall, you choose."

No, because the second choice here essentially boils down to "reroll the check."

Offering the choice between "you lose your bow" or "you're hanging on to a root" only works if the latter has a valid cost to it, and having to reroll isn't a valid cost (it's not failing forward).

The choice would have to be between "you lose your bow" and "you're hanging on to a root, which means it will take time/HP/noise/whatever for you to be hauled up" in order for this to work.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 18, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sion posted:

It's weird to me how the actual tabletop went all End Times and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth but everything else about the property is pre-end times.

That's because there's very little that's interesting to do in the Warhammer World during its apocalypse, unless you simply want to murder a whole lot of skaven (cf. Vermintide).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Doc Aquatic posted:

My main worry, more than anything, is that Games Workshop pretty much made themselves into the 'Wow! Cool robot!' meme over the last 30 years, where they kind of forgot that it was a parody of fascism, and became a celebration of it, instead. Like, I'd want to screen the books more for 'does it think xenophobia and totalitarianism is okay' before I'd screen it for 'does a dude get totally blown up by psychic powers'.

I came here to repost this:

Now imagine that, but instead of an adult not getting the message, the target demographic is 8-12 year olds.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 22, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Glazius posted:

is D&D poorly balanced and confusingly written on purpose?

Never attribute to marketing genius that which can be adequately explained by incredibly lovely designers.

Those forums are full of D&D questions because D&D is poo poo and is the face of the hobby, not because D&D is deliberately obtuse so it can be talked about online to somehow magically become popular. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Trip report from my bud's homebrew system:

"Okay, to calculate your AC, you just add up the basic value plus the average of your Agility and Intuiton plus your dodge skill plus your parry rank, which is a third of your weapon group skill. Oh but when you fight unarmed you only get the parry bonus against other unarmed attacks. That's all for melee defense too, scratch the parry rank against ranged attacks. And if you're caught unaware, skip the dodge skill as well. Now that's your basic AC; add your armor bonus to get your armored AC. If the attack roll is below basic AC, it's a miss, if it's above armored AC, you take full damage, and if it's between basic and armored AC you take damage but get to subtract your armor's damage reduction score. Any questions?"

:sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

neonchameleon posted:

Really? Because the Warhammer 40k I grew up with was self aware to the point of parody with space marines who were so macho they shot testosterone out of their tear ducts, and were anti-mutant but spat poison.

We're not in the 90s any more. 40k stopped being self-aware 10-15 years ago.